Fallout: Equestria - Desolation (Open to all who wish to join.)

NephoxVenom

It seemed Gadget's turret had been first to fire. Tehengu only half-listened to the rest of the conversation, though he did agree that the ghouls were more likely to check the dead than to chase after figures on the horizon. He followed after Shadow from the air, landing next to the unicorn at the top of the hill, looking back at the ghouls walking around the train cars. He once again followed after the unicorn as they headed towards Tenpony Tower.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadget's head turned to follow the noise of wings, and to gain a sense of direction from where he was. He slowly turned about to trot after the unicorn and griffon. Though, he did nearly stumble off of the wrong end of the cliff. Instead of tumbling down completely, and injuring himself, the pony managed to catch himself last minute, and stick his hooves against the side of the cliff.

He slowed his decent enough, to gain control, but not a complete stop due to his weight, and continued to slide down till he reached the bottom. Oh how he hated being blind some times. Everything just wants to pick on you. Shop keepers. Other ponies. Raiders. And even gravity wanted a bone to pick with him. What's next? Squirrels?

Shadow looked over the edge with a frown, "You alright down there, Gadget?"

Shadow looked around for any sign of trouble, just in case something had peaked Gadget's interest. Shadow had thought he had heard something, but it was pretty faint that it could have just been the breeze.

Gadget had fallen off the cliff. Sort of. The pony ended up sliding down the side of the cliff, and looked like he was unharmed. Shadow asked if he was fine, and Tehengu gave a sigh.

"I'll get him." He said as he flapped down to the earth pony before hooking his claws under Gadget's forelegs and hauling the pony back to the top of the cliff. Once a Gadget was over the top of the cliff, he carefully set the pony down before landing again.

The pony shook the dust out of his fur before he was picked up. He kicked about for a moment, ready to whirl on what ever grabbed him. Till he recognized the scent, and went limp. He waited patietnly for his hooves to hit the ground. But instead of standing, the Pony lowered his body down to the ground, and pressed his ears to the stone. He remained quiet for a moment and then raised his head up, and turned his gaze to the source of the noise. He slowly scooted along the ground till his fore hooves felt nothing, and peered down the cliff, and frowned. "Erm... someone care to tell me where we are?"

Shadow stared down the steep incline, skeletons and and other unnamable horrors jutting out of the side, "Devil's Descent... this is a hotspot for raiders. A couple years back, they started shoving the skeletons of their victims into the side for amusement. It's not the largest cliff ever but if you fall down the right spot, you could probably die. But for the most part, it's a pretty tame cliff. Good thing you latched onto the side..."

Shadow looked down to see a fire in the distance. You could make out about four dozen figures dancing around the fire, a few screams of terror from ponies who were probably unfortunate or stupid enough to get caught by these cannibalistic freaks. He could just barely see that there were a lot more around the surrounding Wasteland. By the way they were partying, they may have gotten their hooves on some alcohol. Though, it might just be raiders being raiders...

Well, they were safe from the ghouls, but now there was another problem. Looking around, he could see the many raiders around, as well as screams from the closer groups of raiders, likely from unfortunate victims. Four dozen or so just around the fire, more around the wasteland. Tehengu sighed at this new threat.

"Alright, I assume they're in between us and the tower?" He said, watching the raiders party like they were drunk, which they could be for all he knew.

Well, they were safe from the ghouls, but now there was another problem. Looking around, he could see the many raiders around, as well as screams from the closer groups of raiders, likely from unfortunate victims. Four dozen or so just around the fire, more around the wasteland. Tehengu sighed at this new threat.

"Alright, I assume they're in between us and the tower?" He said, watching the raiders party like they were drunk, which they could be for all he knew.

Shadow nodded, but a little smile was fixated upon his face, "We could actually sneak around them... sure, it'd add a couple hours to our journey, but better safe than sorry."

He looked at the other two, "So, do we attack them and save those ponies, or do we sneak around them? This is more of a moral choice than anything else. I'll leave the choice up to you two."

Shadow suggested that they go around the raiders, adding a few hours to the journey. He then asked if they should attack the raiders and save the victims, or go around and leave them to their fates. Tehengu stared down at the multitude of raiders in silence for a bit. Sure, they had killed a bunch of ghouls, but those things were stupid and charged right into the attacks. These raiders would be smarter, at least somewhat, and likely had guns of their own. Plus, Gadget said he was low on ammo, and it would take too long to snipe them all.

"We should probably just go around." He said eventually, not taking his eye off the raiders.

Shadow nodded, "Too bad we can't save them. But... we have our own lives at stake. So, Gadget, what do you think? We're low on ammo, and just about everything else that would be required to take down these freaks."

Shadow already knew the answer, but he was holding out on a sliver of hope that these ponies could be saved. But by the way the situation looked, he didn't think that was possible. So, they'd have to go around and live another day, whilst the ponies down there lost theirs.

Gadget remained quiet. His ears focused on the sounds of the screams and the laughter of the raiders. He didn't even acknowledge the fact that the other two had been talking to each other. Nor that his name had been called. All he could hear were those cries, and laughters. And in turn, echos in his own head from the past.

For the first time, his smile faded into a plain exp<b></b>ression. His eyes just staring forward endlessly, as his thoughts now completely escaped him. He wasn't even sure what to think of it. His own past had been in the same case as the current victims. But, he easily remained in different. This wasteland was no place for a foal back then, and it changed him. Just as his brother feard, for the worst.

And here he was, easily able to toss away what made him a pony, and just sit there. And listen. As if he could just wait as the trapped ponies met their fate. It edged curiosity into him, even. He didn't want to save them. he just wanted to watch. It felt so compelling to just step a little closer. Join the fun.

The pony quickly shook his head, in an attempt to clear his thoughts. Those raiders did a number on him a past. He could watch this all day if he really wanted to, and even find some humor in it. But, this was him now. Not what he was in the past.

"Kill them..." The Pony sighed, as he now slowly sat up. This choice was much worse, and honestly roguish. But it was better them to die now, then to suffer what he had. "Not the raiders. The captives. Kill the captives. Between the eyes. End it. Give them mercy. Then. We leave." The pony's tone was no longer it's sing song manner. But, a true, down to earth serious growl.

The pony wouldn't even look to the other's as he now rummaged through his bag, to pull out a handful of bottlecap mines, and a flare.

Shadow pulled out his sniper, and three bullets for the weapon that he had found in the bottom of his saddlebag. There were three of the captured ponies and three bullets, so it was clear what had to be done. Shadow had finally gotten the confirmation of what needed to be done. He would have shot the captives anyway, even if they wanted to go around. Nopony deserved this fate.

He put his hoof on Gadget's shoulder and said, "Hold on to that piece of you..."

Without saying anything further, he took aim and popped the three survivors in the head in quick succession. Well, as quick as you could get with a bolt-action rifle. The raiders started to scurry around in confusion as to where the shots came from. The trio's position had not been compromised.

"Okay, let's go..." Shadow said and, without another word, started to make the long walk around these psychopaths. Finally he'd seen the side of Gadget that overrode his more... darker urges. Shadow had seen it on his face... that satisfaction in killing. There was a difference between him and the raiders, though. Shadow had finally dug it up, though it took a bit of doing.

He just kept on walking. They were way out of view from the terrified raiders, so that was a good thing.

Tehengu simply nodded as Gadget said to kill the captives. They couldn't fight off the raiders, not like this, but they could kill the captives, give them mercy. Shadow was taking care of it, so he did nothing but watch as the hunter performed the mercy killings. When it was done, Tehengu patted Gadget on the back lightly before following after Shadow as they made their way around the scared raiders. They were well out of their view, which was good.

Gadget continued to listen for any signs of movement on their positions, before putting the mines away. His gaze emptily looked back in the direction he had felt the pats before he began to follow the others.

"hold onto that piece of you," the pony repeated in his head. The thought seemed nearly impossible when he could feel his own mind falling apart every night to make room for the birth of a monster. The pony casted an empty look back down to the raiders. He couldn't see them, but he already had vivid imagery flowing through his mind about what they were going to do. He could have easily became one of them. But what stopped it?

"Mk..." the pony began, his tone now returning back to normal. But ever so slowly, "How far are we now?"

Tehengu spared a glance back at Gadget as the pony asked how far they were now. He assumed the pony had meant from Tenpony, and looked around to see if he could spot it. He saw it in the distance and tried to gauge how far they were.

"Umm... Looks like we're a bit of a ways away still." The griffon said eventually, then added onto that. "Don't know exactly."

Shadow looked out over the horizon, "If we keep walking as much as we can, we can probably get there in... two to three days. If we take breaks, it might double that time. It's up to you guys."

Shadow wasn't on a time frame for his personal mission, but it'd still be nice to get to Tenpony Tower as fast as he could. Though, he could wait for them if need be.

Gadget sighed now after realizing he'll be stumbling around for a while without much sense of a direction. "Forced march, or taking breaks," Java now slowly tilted his head up to the air.

"I only have a few open bullet wounds. With the bullet lodged in my arse. I think a forced march won't be a problem."

Tehengu hummed softly as Shadow asked if they should just walk to the tower or if they should take breaks along the way. Gadget seemed alright with a continuos walk to the tower, though he wasn't sure if the pony was being sarcastic or not with talk of bullet wounds. No matter.

"I can go without breaks." He said simply, putting in his opinion.

Shadow nodded, "Then it's decided. We keep on walking... at least then we'll be getting closer to our destination while getting unpleasant surprises, such as ghouls and raiders, than staying in one place for too long and still getting those unpleasant surprises. At least we'll be accomplishing something rather than nothing."

Shadow kept on walking towards the general direction of Tenpony Tower. It was going to take quit a while, but he was ready for the trek. Of course, if they were going to be out here for about three days, they'd most likely get some rather unwanted interruptions. It was the way of the Wasteland, really. He said, and thought, that quite a bit, but it was true.

(Sorry, my life has been a bit hectic lately, so I haven't had the time to get on much. Sorry for keeping you guys waiting.)

Tehengu let out a snort at Shadow's words. That was an unnessecarily long way to say they were at least getting somewhere. Oh well, it didn't really matter, they were moving towards the objective. He had no doubt they would get interrupted along the way, it happened every time he took long journeys with grounded companions. He simply kept following along from the ground as the group moved towards Tenpony Tower.

(No problem, I don't really mind waiting a little bit.)

Gadget wasn’t kidding about his current health situation. Heck he didn’t even need the Pipbucks big green flashing sign, with the horror struck face of a foal and the big bold letters of warning. His rear still had several bullet holes in it from the Slaver skirmish several miles back. Not to mention the new open cuts on his sides from the ghouls.

Though he was blind, he really didn’t need much info to tell him that he was in some serious trouble if he didn’t get any help soon. Not that the concept actually occurred to the pony, with his near complete raider mentality. Sure, he might have hobbled off to go fix himself up, but he never actually got around to it. Usually distractions got in the way every time. And then the one moment he does have to fix himself up, he no longer has the supplies to do so. Already having to use the last of it to save the life of the semi-friendly Unicorn. But once again, Gadget didn’t quite mind. The way he saw it, his life was practically worthless at the moment. And held very little reason, or impact once he was gone. The Unicorn on the other hand, seemed to have ponies depending on him for something.

The Pony’s eyes flickered about momentarily, as he allowed his eyes to finally read the images his pipbuck had magically projected into his eyes. His health was blinking for some reason. His leg and torso was heavily damaged. Oh, but at least the bleeding stop! Possible infections? Eh, waistland is irradiated to tatarus and back. He’ll live.

But, likely, he’d cave over and started bleeding if something just so much looked at him wrong. He only has one bullet, and no compatible guns. A flying turret that overheats if it fires to fast, and a large turret with plenty of bullets to spare… but anyone on the wrong end of the barrel will be shot through for it’s target. A risky game it was for him indeed.

And to Gadget, he felt absolutely fine! All that torture he had as a foal, his mind breaking, shattering. Multiple times has got him to cope real well to pain. And even find some disturbing bit of security in it. But, outside of his body. He looked aweful. His breathing now starting to labor some. And his limping had gotten worst after that Ghoul attack. He’d be pale if it wasn’t for his brown coat. But, he did have a very dizzy and out of place look.

"So...." The pony began in a sing song manner, "tell me about yalls family? We have all the time in the world. Might as well get to know each other better~"

Shadow kept on walking, not looking back at all, "I don't get to know my travel companions. The less I know about you and the less you know about me, the better. So my history is classified."

He said this as if it he had said it a million times over... like it was rehearsed. Shadow had gotten used to not having friends and it worked out in the end. The last friend he had died in a rather horrible fashion and he didn't want to live through that again. So, he chose not to let it happen. Even if they die, he won't feel sad over the loss of their life. Sure, he'd feel sorry for them, but at this point... it was expected and he was ready to move on once it did happen. So far, it worked out for him to be almost emotionless.

Tehengu walked along in silence as the group moved on. He kept his eye open for signs of trouble, though nothing showed up. That was a good thing, it meant they weren't in danger of being attacked yet. Eventually, Gadget asked about the families of Shadow and him. He glanced at the unicorn momentarily before looking at Gadget.

"My parents? Dead, I assume. It's unusual to live to an old age in the wasteland. I haven't actually seen them for a while. They're the only family I have that I know about." Tehengu said, resuming his lookout.

"I believe I have told you before, but I doubt you were listening," Gadget hummed as he changed his direction to avoid tripping over a rock, and quickly adjusted to follow the sound of hoof steps once more. "If I say so now, I believe you might think less of me~. As it was quite a monstrous outcome."

Shadow said nothing further, barely listening to what they were saying at all. He'd really rather just not remember much about them at all, because there wasn't much of a point. He respected them both, though his respect for Gadget was a little harder to admit as it bordered on jealousy. He sighed at the thought, and shrugged it off. He simply kept on walking.

Archived