Lantern Light [Ready]

Discorderly

wqu8n4.jpg

Name: Lantern Light, often just called Light or Lan/Lanny

Species: Unicorn

Eye colour: Bright golden yellow

Character colour: Lanny is a bright off-white color, dipped in a light greyish tone.

Mane/Tail/Other: Both mane and tail are a deep redish tone, kept fairly short and never styled especially intentively. Style is never his main concern, so both are often clean, but overall dishevelled. He is usually seen wearing a tatty black hood, and an old canvas mask fashioned in a bird-like manner, used to protect him from any dangerous fumes when exploring the Everfree and brewing his potions.

Physique: Lanny is standard size as far as stallions his age go, not too tall or too short, he's about average height. Built in a lean fashion, clearly conditioned for travelling long distances and endurance. He isn't overly muscular, but he isn't weak either.

Residence: Just on the inner edges of the Everfree, about a half a mile in, he built a modest home to do his work with potions and even poisons. It is fairly easy to find, a path laid out by welcoming lanterns, and sits beside a small pond.

Occupation: Though his specialty is healing, both magical and herbal, he is also a guide of sorts, having a fairly decent knowlege of the Everfree's layout, he often stumbles upon lost travellers, guiding them to his home for recovery. before leading them out of the forest.

Cutie Mark: Despite his secondary talent in healing, his cutie mark displays a lantern lit with a warm glow. He fully expected his cutie mark to end up congruous with his healing ability, but was surprise when he ended up with one symbolising his warm personality and guiding hooves. His cutie mark appeared one stormy night, as he lead a young foal home while he himself was still fairly young.

Cutie Mark Story: It was late, and a terrible storm had rolled in from the west, a night that most ponies would spend safely inside by a warm and comforting fire. But Lantern Light was numb to the rain as he searched frantically for the source of the frightened wails that he'd heard very close to his traveling home. He was nearly a colt by this time, and therefore given more freedom to roam by his parents. When he found the source of the sound, he discovered a very frightened young filly, absolutely soaked and crying for someone to help her.

The empathetic young pony couldn't bear to hear such a sound, and carefully approached her, slowly so he didn't fighten the little foal. He summoned up a small spark of magic that kept the rain from the filly as he asked her what happened in a gentle voice. She was lost, and only had a slim idea where her home was. He offered her a comforting smile and reassured her that he could find her home, keeping the spell protecting the filly as they set off.

Eventually they came upon a sleepy little village, and the now mostly dry filly became excited. This is my village! She'd eagerly explained, and soon enough the two ponies came across a mare searching frantically through the streets, when she met with the two she immediately collapsed to the ground, throwing her hooves around her daughter and hugging her tightly. Lantern felt an intense warmth in his heart as he watched the reunion, and after many thanks were given to him, he turned his hooves homeward. It wasn't until he arrived at his family's wagon that his parents pointed out the mark on his hip, a warm glowing lantern, symbolising the warmth in his heart, and his drive to guide those who are lost or afraid.

Special Talent: Lantern's main special talent seems to be offering guidance and assistance to anypony who needs it, he has a very comforting air, and can easily put most ponies at ease with his presence. He is also very talented with healing magic, but even that seems to coincide with his ability to soothe and heal those who need it. His special talent is, simply put, being able to put others at ease and guide them with his warmth.

Unique Traits: Len has a very innate grasp on healing spells, and has nearly perfected his handle on potions and brews as well. Though his mask and hood can give him a very imposing and spooky appearance, Lantern is actually incredibly kind and chipper.

Lantern's Mask: The mask that Lantern wears is a useful part of his design, but one he only dons when it is neccessary, as it often gives him a more unapproachable appearance, which is something he does not want. The mask is formed after the plague doctor masks, but used in a very different way. Living in the Everfree, a deep and vastly unknown stretch of forest, he needed a way to protect himself from any unknown fumes or substances that he could potentially inhale, so the unicorn carefully fashioned a mask that would protect him from both inhaling, and potential harm to his eyes, using a design he'd seen both in books and along his travels with his family for festivals, the beaked mask design was born.

He usually only dons the mask when he plans to traverse deeper into the forest than he normally would, and he avoids wearing it into town where he might frighten other ponies. The odd meeting will still happen when he finds a lone traveller deep in the forest, but he's usually pretty good at assuring them that he is not, in fact, a monster, owing this to his naturally calming aura.

History: Lantern was born to a pair of travelling bards, wandering the lands of Equestria and even beyond in a wagon pulled by his father. Though he grew up this way, Lantern never took to travelling quite as well as his family did. Being a much more social pony, he always longed to settle down somewhere where he might be able to make lasting friendships, rather than ones that ended the moment his family moved on. As he got older this need grew more nagging, and his relationship with his family became more strained because of it.

When he was a young stallion, his family stopped in a small copse just on the edge of the Everfree, hoping to do business with the small town located not too far from it: Ponyville. The time Lantern spent in Ponyville was the happiest he'd had, and when his parents insisted that it was time to move on, he ut his hooves down and insisted that he stay behind. As hard as it was to leave behind the family he'd grown up with, it was a desicion he never regretted.

He chose to settle down just inside the Everfree, where he would have plentiful access to all the herbs and plants he would need for his potions and medicines, but close enough to the outside to allow visitors to find him safely. With the help of his magic, and the kind hooves of Ponyville's residents, the young stallion soon had a modest cabin to call his own. He keeps lanterns lit along the path to his home, so that any ponies in ned can always find him, and his door is always open.

Character Personality: Lantern is a very warm and loving pony, always chipper and smiling, he gives off a natural air of warmth and comfort. Despite living within the Everfree, away from everypony, Lantern is incredibly social and loves visitors, especially when they tell him stories of their travels. He can be incredibly chatty when he comes into Ponyville for any reason, or when he is around other ponies in general, and sometimes he has a bit of trouble with personal space. He means well, but often gets very over zealous, espeially when it comes to meeting new ponies. He is a very empathetic individual, and is often guilty of putting the needs of others before his own, making him a very dedicated healer, but often neglecting his own needs, such as sleeping or eating. When there is a pony in need, he will give his all to help them.

Character Summary: Overall, Lantern is a good friend to have around. He will give his all to help you in whatever way you might need. He throws himself whole heartedly into his work, and into helping others, and wil often do whatever is asked of him to the best of his abilities. Incredibly social, despite his somewhat remote location, and always looking out for those who step hoof into the forest he calls home. He is always there to lend a hoof in one should need it, whether it be through healing or just being there, he'll do whatever it takes to help you if you need him. He can be a bit scary at first glance, but once the hood and mask come off, his eyes are friendly and his smile is warm, and a welcoming aura seems to emanate from the young stallion, putting most ponies at ease.

Wow, i cant say much i can see that i can suggest. Only thing would maybe being extending the char summary by ether utting the personality and summary as one or extending. Great work pal :D

Best of luck

Overall the character seems like he'll work pretty well, but there's one thing I have to ask: why does he wear the mask? It seems like a pretty big part of his appearance, and something that might actually work against his inclination toward being social. While I don't know that it's strictly necessary, I feel like the character could benefit from some explanation in that regard.

Ah I definitely see what you mean, his mask wasn't intendd to be somethign he wore a lot, more so in times of necessity, but I realize I made it come off like something he wears constantly! ;o; I added a small section to his Profile specifically detailing the mask and its use, I'm not sure if I explained it better there, but if not then I can gladly clarify more! ^^

Hi there!

I have to admit, this is a very unique character!

This app is well developed, all of the required fields are filled and it's very well written!

Ok, the mask is kind of creepy, but since this is CC, I think it'll pass.

Recommending this app for further Senior RPH evaluation!

:D:D:D

Archived