Rainbow's Attempt at Explaining Life... (closed)

RainbowFoxxy

rainbowawesome_zpslclxgcpk.jpg

Hey Dashie!  Hey Scoots!

Rainbow stopped mid flight and dropped the flamingo she had been about to stake up outside the tent.

"Pinkie Pie! What are you doing here?" Dash smiled, glad her friend had decided to drop by. What event wouldn't be enhanced by the bouncy pink mare? They were sure to have an even more amazing time now!

"Anyway, glad you could make it! Scoots and I were just about to make some dinner and then we could tell some stories...maybe scary ones." She winked at Scootaloo. "Well, maybe not too scary."

Rainbow went to get her saddle bags. She had packed lots of fun food to go along with the supplies they had picked up in Ponyville earlier in the day. "So, what should we have? We've got all kinds of fun camp food. Oh! Here's some popcorn, that could taste good!"

The mare dumped a random amount of kernels into a pan, put a lid over it and shoved it over the fire.

Pop, Pop, POP!

Soon the corn started to pop like crazy! Pieces were flying all over!

"Whoo! Guess you guys will have to catch your dinner cause it's poppin' all over!"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scootaloo was waiting for Rainbow Dash to respond as she pondered how to get that flame to reach a size to make it able to cook. It was then that she heard another familiar voice. It was Pinkie Pie, another of Rainbow Dash's friends and a pony that Scootaloo visited in her bakery. The haphazardly created fire quickly became a nicely arranged mass that make the fire instantly grow. 

"Hi Pinkie Pie!" Scootaloo said, "Thanks for fixing the fire. I knew the way it was before wasn't able to cook anything or even give off even much light." 

"Anyway, glad you could make it! Scoots and I were just about to make some dinner and then we could tell some stories...maybe scary ones." She winked at Scootaloo. "Well, maybe not too scary."

"Yeah the more the merrier. Actually Rainbow and I are going to be traveling to Rainbow Falls but we got delayed getting out of Ponyville. And yeah, definitely not that scary. I remember the last time that happened. Oh, so what brings you out to our campsite Pinkie?" 

The filly pondered what to have first in terms of campfire munchies when Rainbow suggested pop corn. That was a great start as Scootaloo loved the treat whether she was camping or not. Perhaps though the flames were too hot as suddenly the pop corn started to fly out of the pan. Scootaloo tried to grab the kernels with her hooves but only managed to keep a few. 

"You didn't happen to pack any bowls in your pack, did you Rainbow Dash?" 

• 2 weeks later...

"Pinkie Pie! What are you doing here?"

"Well, a camp out's kinda like a slumber party in the woods!" Pinkie answered.  "And you know I can't skip a party, especially if my friends are there!"  Turning to Scootaloo, she told the smaller pegasus, "It's Ok, Scootaloo, a cooking fire's different from a warm-you-up fire.  My Granny showed me that.  After all..."  The pink mare paused, pulling out a Filly Scout cap and plopping it on her head before saluting.  "... a Filly Scout has to be prepared for all baking emergencies!

As Rainbow Dash searched her bags, Pinkie pulled out a stick with no less than six forks, each laden with marshmellows.  She stared humming happily as she roasted the confections over the fire.  She watched with interest as Dash set up the popcorn over the fire as well.  As the corn started popping out of the pan, Pinkie went into motion.  Any kernel that the two pegusii couldn't catch, Pinkie somehow caught in her mouth.  She munched the snack happily before turning back to Rainbow Dash.  "That was cool Dashie!  Usually I put a lid on when I make popcorn, but your way is more fun!!"

• 2 weeks later...

The corn was flying everywhere and Dash kept on holding it over the fire. She would roast and pop every one of those kernels!

"That was cool Dashie!  Usually I put a lid on when I make popcorn, but your way is more fun!!"

"Ha ha! I guess you're right Pinkie. I totally forgot the lid but this is kinda fun!" She grabbed a popcorn piece in her muzzle and chewed. "Yum! Needs some salt and butter though." She rummaged in her pack until she had produced the needed items. Then she swooped around and got all the popcorn under control. After adding some salt and butter she began to eat the popcorn by the hoof full. "Here guys, have some more! I'm glad you could make it for the camping slumber party Pinkie!"

Soon the sky began to darken as the friends ate their camp out food. The fire crackled merrily for a while before Dash noticed the wood supply was growing short.

"I think I better get some more fire wood." She looked out past the flames. "It's a little dark out there but, no big deal!" She hovered on her wings for a moment before taking off into the forest.

Dash moved further into the forest, collecting wood, when she saw what looked like a pool of rainbow hued water. "What is that?" She looked closer. "You guys! Come check this out!" She shouted back to her friends.

Although it at first seemed like it was strange for Pinkie pie to be out in the woods, perhaps she had some kind of Party Sense that allowed her to seek out ponies partying and add to the fun. Well the pink pony certainly was full of advice, explaining that there were different fires. 

"Thanks Pinkie Pie. I'll remember that next time I need to make a fire." 

The filly was successful in gathering most of the kernels, the rest collected by Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie. After helping herself to some of the popcorn that the Pegasus collected, Scootaloo knew that the fun was getting started even thought night was falling. 

"I'll help you find some logs," Scootaloo said as she began to search around the campsite for any branches or logs not covered. She was just about to try and drag a log when she heard Rainbow Dash call over her. 

"What did you find?" she said trotting over to where the mare stood. She looked down and saw a pool of rainbow water. She saw thee way a rainbow looked reflected in a puddle after a rain storm. It looked like the puddle was a rainbow itself, like the kind that she heard about in Cloudsdale. 

"Is...is it safe to touch it?"

• 4 weeks later...

Pinkie sat contentedly munching popcorn and marshmellows, her cheeks puffed out like a squirrel's.  She nodded at the two pegusii as they left to get more firewood.  In the meantime, she pulled out some chocolate and some graham crackers.  A camp out was required to have s'mores, after all!  She'd wait until Dashie and Scoots got back though.  S'mores had to be eaten hot off the fire.  Well, maybe she'd make one for herself while she waited...

Five s'mores later, Pinkie heard Rainbow Dash's voice call out from beyond the campsite.  Her mouth still full, she bounced in that direction, before coming to a skidding stop before Rainbow's discovery.  "Mon't maste mat!"  she said around the gooey treats.  "Mits moo micy!"  Finally swallowing, she turned to Rainbow Dash and asked, "Is that liquid rainbow?  What's it doing on the ground?  I thought the weather pegasuses made that up in Cloudsdale!" 

dashiebanner_zps8kipjuya.jpg

"Is...is it safe to touch it?"

Dash was still hovering over the rainbow puddle, she moved a little closer to inspect it.

"I don't know Scoots. I've never seen anything like it before..."

"Is that liquid rainbow?  What's it doing on the ground?  I thought the weather pegasuses made that up in Cloudsdale!"

The mare landed next to her pink friend. "Nah, I don't think so. I know my liquid rainbows and this doesn't look like that. It's too ummmm....too..."

As she spoke the puddle started the shift around. First a little bit back and forth and then in small waves. "Yah, I'm gonna say we shouldn't touch it." She spoke out of the side of her mouth and the puddle continued to move around. Now it was making swirls and glowing off and on with a strange sort of light. It was enough to illuminate the trees surrounding them.

"This is so weird!" Rainbow took to her wings again, trying to get a better look at the puddle. "What in Equestria is this thing?"

As she spoke the puddle began to inch forward until it began to flow like water across the forest floor. It looked almost like  a rainbow creek flowing through the woods. Rainbow watched it as it trailed off through the forest.

"So, should we follow it?"The mare's eyes were alight with interest.

Scootaloo switched her gaze between that of the strange puddle of rainbow on the ground and Rainbow Dash. Even the rainbow manned Pegasus didn't know what it was. Just then Scootaloo hear something bounding through the woods and turned to see what it was, knowing that the light of the campfire was still in the distance in case she needed to retreat back there to safety. To her relief though it was Pinkie Pie with a mouth full of smores. 

"Is that liquid rainbow?  What's it doing on the ground?  I thought the weather pegasuses made that up in Cloudsdale!"

"They do make it there, so why is it here?" 

To her surprise the puddle started to move, bring further intrigue to the filly's mind. 

"Yah, I'm gonna say we shouldn't touch it."

"Yeah, probably a good idea," Scootaloo said nervously. She wasn't a pony that got scared often and while this thing wasn't frightening, the fact that it was moving and glowing with light caused her to wonder. Then as if to add another surprise the thing took off into the forest, glowing along the way.

"So, should we follow it?"

"I guess we can," Scootaloo said as an idea popped into her head, "Hey maybe I can get my cutie mark in discovering some new creature!" 

• 2 months later...

Pinkie Pie's eyes went wide as she watched the rainbow... thingie, start to move away on its own. She got down on the ground close to the moving puddle, one eye focused on the substance so intently it almost looked like her eyeball was moving in to touch it. "Hmm, you're right, Dashie," she said in an analytical tone. "Liquid rainbow isn't usually so... lively."

The pink pony reached out a tentative hoof toward the... stuff, before retracting it quickly at Dash's warning that they shouldn't touch it. The... she really needed to come up with a name for this stuff!  Goop?  Yeah, goop was good for now.  The goop was making its way away from the trio slowly, but they would have to move soon to follow it.  Her pegusii companions seemed intent to do just that.  "Well crikey!"  she said suddenly, adopting an accent.  She was also suddenly wearing a khaki-colored shirt, not too dissimilar to what Daring Do would wear.  "Lets track this beastie down!"

• 4 weeks later...

dashiebanner_zps8kipjuya.jpg

Rainbow swooped down close to the colors, her eyes following the trail it was making off through the woods.

"I think we better figure this stuff out..." She seemed a bit tentative. Something felt a little odd about all of this but oh well, it would be a fun adventure with two of her favorite adventuring buddies. "Let's track down this whatever it is!"

The mare came down to the ground and began to trot off through the trees. There was still some light left in the day. She figured they could track the rainbow colored ooze until dark.

Soon they were further off into the forest. There was a bit more of the rainbow colored stuff the further they went. "I wonder where this is leading..." She turned to Scootaloo and Pinkie. "What if we're about to discover some new kind fo creature or something. Too bad 'ol Fluttershy isn't here." Rainbow glanced aorund the woods. "Actually, it's probably better she's not. It's a little spooky out here."

Even though Scootaloo got her mark, I figure we'll keep this so she doesn't have a mark.

Scootaloo kept a safe distance from the moving puddle of rainbow while watching where it would go. The thing didn't look like a threat but the filly wan't going to take a chance. Still she was interested seeing what it was and where it was going. She remembered once seeing a slug leaving a trail of slime while crawling on the ground. It was like that, only a rainbow puddle. There was something strange about the event though, and not related to the rainbow thing. For some reason Pinkie Pie was wearing something that the Pegasus would recognize as a Daring Do outfit. 

"Well, that would be neat to find a new creature! Err... Pinkie Pie, why are you dressed like Daring Do?" 

• 2 months later...

Maintaining her persona,  Pinkie followed the strange trail, sometimes sniffing the ground like a bloodhound.  Her pegusii companions both followed excitedly.  The sun was slipping further down in the sky, but Pinkie hoped that the moon would provide enough light to continue the hunt.  Once the Princesses did their magicy stuff, of course.  She tried to imagine the sun and the moon in the sky at once, but she quickly dismissed the idea.  That was silly, even for her!

When Rainbow mentioned their timid, animal loving friend Fluttershy, Pinkie nodded her head in agreement.  "Too right!" she said, still using the accented voice.  "That sheila wouldn't have made it outta the camp!  Don't know if this is her kinda beastie anyway."

At Scootaloo's question, Pinkie broke out into giggles, and the accent dropped for amoment.  "Silly filly!  I'm not Daring Do!"  She drew herself up as if addressing an audience, and announced, "I'm Croc Hunter, magical creature catcher!"

Dropping back to all four hooves, Pinkie looked again at the strange rainbow trail and found it had... ended??  She ran back and forth a few times, trying to find which direction their quarry had gone.  "Uh oh, Dashie, looks like the trail has gone cold..." she said in disappointment.  However, she perked back up as she got an idea!  "Rainbow!  Do that flying-seeing-everything trick!  You should be able to find where it went!"

Archived