Diamond in the Rough (ATTN: Rarity)

Lux

A small cart rumbled across the flat barren landscape just outside of Ponyville holding all manner of mining tools like a pick, shovel, brushes and other items needed for a successful gem hunt. The white coated Crystal Pony shielded his eyes with his hoof from the high sun and gazed at the place before him.

"This looks like the place a go getting finder of gems such as myself could hunt. At least that's what the locals tell me. It certainly seems remote enough and bearing the proper stone matrix to breed gems of a good quality."

There was something else that Diamond Cut noticed, a patchwork of holes dug in the location, presumably by another pony.

"It seems I am not the only pony that is seeking gems. Oh well, guess I cannot claim a monopoly on something I don't own, and I cannot prevent others from enjoying the riches of the earth. I hope that there will be some left to make this expedition worth while."

Finding a yet untouched area, the Crystal stallion took his pick and after a few sharp digs into the earth and with a little muscle prying, a blue sapphire popped out of the hole.

"A fine sapphire specimen indeed! This shall look nicely around the neck of a beautiful mare. (sigh) Fun as this may be it would certainly be more entertaining if I had others to converse with."

• 3 months later...

Gem hunting was a necessity for Rarity's work. It was and it always would be. It was as simple as that. It was something fairly easy for her, but it wasn't something she particularly enjoyed. There was some joy to be had in unearthing fresh, new gems... but there was less joy in having to dig around in the dirt. There was always the danger of running into unsavory characters and creatures as well. Her run in with the diamond dogs while gem hunting with Spike would always be burned into her memory, as would the time when her and dear little Valen fell into a tatzlwurm nest while they were hunting together.

Today, the risk was amplified for there was no one available to accompany her. This was a rare occurrence these days. Spike was usually so eager to help her, and even if he wasn't available she had so many great friends that usually she could find at least someone to accompany her. That day, everyone had been busy or unavailable however, so Rarity found herself trudging along through the roughs herself, pulling a small cart. The hunt couldn't wait for the others to make time. She had very important orders due very soon and she was very nearly out of the gems she needed. It wasn't the first time she would be doing it alone though; before she made her many great friends, this was actually the norm.

She just needed to stay optimistic that none of the dangers would show themselves. If she kept her wits about her and stayed focus, she'd have enough gems to fill her cart before long and then be able to head back to Ponyville without event. Using her gem finding magic and a magically manipulated, medium sized shovel to dig, Rarity began to unearth patch after patch of gems.

Shovelling another pile of gems into her cart, Rarity activated her finding spell again and followed where it lead... only for it to take her this time right up to a fine sapphire right as it was being procured by another pony. It was a white coated crystal stallion.

"Ah, excuse me, sir..." Rarity said as she quieted her horn and stepped back before it drove her into the fellow. "I didn't know there was another gem hunter about. I suppose it was only a matter of time before others discovered my favorite gathering spots. That is a truly exquisite sapphire you've collected there," she added with a smile.

He took a cloth and began to wipe off some of the excess dirt still wondering who the elusive user of this space was. It was then that he caught out of the corner of his eye somepony approaching. He turned to see a mare standing there, perhaps the prettiest mare that he had ever seen in his lifetime. Granted there were many in his town, but there was something about this unicorn that was enchanting like one couldn't help but walk up to her and say hello. It seemed that she was just as shocked seeing him as he was seeing her. Strangely the unicorn's horn was glowing but what spell she was using was his guess. It did seem to be pulling her ever close to him.

Ah, excuse me, sir..." Rarity said as she quieted her horn and stepped back before it drove her into the fellow. "I didn't know there was another gem hunter about. I suppose it was only a matter of time before others discovered my favorite gathering spots. That is a truly exquisite sapphire you've collected there,"

"Well my dear, I'm just as surprised to see a fellow gem enthusiast here in town, especially as one as enchanting as you. I hope that it is ok that I am here in you gem finding spot. I must admit that I stumbled upon this area on accident. I am Diamond Cut by the way, explorer, jeweler, and geologist. May I ask your name?"

• 4 weeks later...

Rarity continued to smile at the crystal stallion. He certainly seemed the polite and respectable sort. Compared to all the diamond dogs and ruffians who might otherwise be in the area, it was good fortune to run into someone who seemed altogether agreeable.

"Why of course, sir," Rarity said standing upright. "I am Miss Rarity, proprietor and courtier of Ponyville's Carousel Boutique, Ponyville's premier fashion destination. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr. Diamond Cut."

She looked around and then shook her head. "And it's quite alright that you're here. It's a favored spot of mine, but it's not like I own this land," she said in a steady voice. "Though a word of warning--there are dangers about. Diamond Dogs and other uncomely creatures lurk in these hills, and take it from me, it's not a delight running into them."

Rarity said this and then looked around again, activating her magic to continue her gem search. She found something nearby and began to step toward it.

A fashion designer, well how fortuitous for Diamond Cut to meet not only a refined mare such as her but to meet one with similar professions. There was also an air of confidence that the the unicorn spoke about her store being the premier place to shop. It wasn't haughtiness by any means but truth in the quality of her products.

"Well it is an honor to meet you as well. I admit that this is my first time here in Ponyville so I have not yet have the pleasure to visit your store. I assume that your hunt for gems is for such fashions just as I do so for any jewelry I create. Or rather I call my creations Wearable Art, which just so happens to be the name of my shop in the Crystal Empire. It is a modest place in size, but what it lacks in space it makes up with the treasures inside."

There was another thing that Diamond could tell about the pony when she mentioned the danger in this area, including some unknown creature called a Diamond Dog. This lady certainly was no damsel in distress as despite the danger she was willing to travel here unaccompanied.

"Thank you for letting me know of the danger here Miss Rarity. From what you have said you seem to have met these unsavory creatures first hoof. How about we assist each other in finding gems so we can both find what we are looking for? And of course conversing while working makes the time pass as well."

Archived