Customizing and Syling DON'Ts.

flutterscotch

I feel this might need its own special topic to call out things that may be disastrous to your ponies based on a few things I have seen people mention recently (and some ways I ruined my ponies...)

HAIR:

Don't attempt to dye with dye made for human hair

Don't attempt to use a curling iron/straightening iron/crimping iron while it is dry (wet is OK, see thunder boomer's comment below) (ceramic may be ok, test a small patch first, boiling is OK)

Don't use fabric softener on the hair unless you want it to stay bone straight forever.

Don't mess with the pony hair while it is drying into its style. You will get better results.

Body:

Don't use standard nailpolish remover on the symbols, you may smear them. Use 100% acetone.

Don't use acetone on any of bodies of the Friendship is Magic light-up posable ponies. They are not vinyl, they will melt

Don't use paint markers/regular markers/pen to add details. They will bleed through the vinyl.

I am testing Vinyl Dye this weekend, so we'll know whether that is a do or a don't.

SHIPPING:

Don't ever wrap a pony in a plastic grocery bag to ship. Some will react with the vinyl and cause these weird pink marks. Some printed ones will transfer their ink to the ponies. Not sure which types do what, do just as a rule use ziplocks instead. Even better, add a layer of paper towels to make sure that you're 100% ok!

Don't attempt to use a curling iron/straightening iron/crimping iron (ceramic may be ok, test a small patch first, boiling is OK)

Yea I broke that with Twi, Fluttershy, and Dashie. . . . . at least their hair is nice and straight :)

You are super lucky then :( It really does depend on the iron and the settings, but as a rule, not such a great idea !

I've used curling irons, straight irons and crimpers on my pony hair before without trouble, but you really have to know what you're doing. It's not something a beginner should try. And you NEVER run the hair through dry. If I'm trying to straighten, I run it through with the hair sopping wet and full of conditioner.

I've used curling irons, straight irons and crimpers on my pony hair before without trouble, but you really have to know what you're doing. It's not something a beginner should try. And you NEVER run the hair through dry. If I'm trying to straighten, I run it through with the hair sopping wet and full of conditioner.

Forgot to clarify that :(

Yea that's how I did it with them....... straight out the box well not straight out the box it was a day and I kept their hair dry put the straightening iron on the second lowest setting.

I sorta just assumed their hair would be the same as human hair.

tn?sid=19140298605179897&mid=AGuliGIAAJqiTi7tOgoJojvT4CM&midoffset=1_5098&partid=2&f=1131&fid=Inbox&w=288&h=480&httperr=1

tn?sid=19140298605179897&mid=AGuliGIAAJqiTi7tOgoJojvT4CM&midoffset=1_5098&partid=3&f=1131&fid=Inbox&w=288&h=480&httperr=1

And that's my result I'd show flutter and rainbow but their hair didn't come as straight as I liked.

That's a common misconception a lot of people have. Since it's plastic it will melt, and it doesn't really need the haircare additives either. The conditioner is mainly used for lubrication and to keep the hair from drying out as fast. I actually make sure to clarify afterward, because I've noticed conditioner buildup can actually make the hair look less shiny.

That's a common misconception a lot of people have. Since it's plastic it will melt, and it doesn't really need the haircare additives either. The conditioner is mainly used for lubrication and to keep the hair from drying out as fast. I actually make sure to clarify afterward, because I've noticed conditioner buildup can actually make the hair look less shiny.

Between you and me I never liked conditioner I find it silly x3

I know it helps but I don't normally use it.