“the thing” survival

augercorn

Lancet carried the corpse into the base and through the corridor's with Berry's help. They occasionally had to stop to put him down and rest a moment, but eventually they made it. It dropped with a heavy thump onto the examining table. Lancet was panting as he grabbed a wheelie kart and headed to the supply cupboard. Out of a pocket he pulled out a key only he and Berry had a copy of and pushed it into the lock. Twisting it and opening the medical cupboard. He grabbed what he needed, chucking it all onto the cart and replacing his winter gloves with some latex ones, as well as stripping out of his coat and putting on an apron and surgical mask instead. Soon enough he returned with the cart and stopped it right next to the elk's head. He nodded at Berry's words. "I'll take a look at his brain. As to his attitude... I couldn't tell you. Could be some kind of drug, or an allergy, could even just of snapped. Lot of things can make an elk go crazy. Especially out here in the Celestia forsaken wastes of nowhere."

Lancet didn't wait to get started. He picked up a scalpel and made a small incision behind the the elk's ear, then traced it across the back of his head to the other ear. He pulled the scalpel back, a thin red line marking his incision as he put the scalpel onto a tray. Next he lifted a special saw and dug it into the incision, following the line with grunts of effort as he pulled it back and forth, working it around the crown of the elk's head. He then followed it up with another cut until he could just yank the crown off, leaving the elk looking completely fine from the front, but giving him access to the brain. He pulled a light down and focused it inside as he put the saw down, then he picked up a metal rod with a thin wire hook end, and another small implement with a mirror on the end before he started to probe into the brain tissue, pressing it and looking around. "Hmmm..." he said, before peering intently. A good five minutes later and he lifted back and shook his head. "His brain seems perfectly healthy, other than the lack of oxygen. I could examine it in more detail were I to remove it, but it's my professional opinion that would be a waste of time," Lancet said with a shake of his head. "If he was deluded it wasn't because of rabies or any physical condition, not that that rules out much. Mental issues don't always leave a physical footprint," Lancet explained.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived