Bronies - Serious?Fun

GoldenPegasister

So - I'm new here and I've got a burning question...

As a fan group that challenges gender norms by watching a show 'meant' for girls is Bronydom a social movement?

Does it have the potential to be something more?

I know some people just like the show and all the production qualities associated with it (music, voice acting, animation, plot, etc) but I also see a lot of very astute Bronies putting their finger on gender stereotypes and some of the social problems/values that go with it.

Fundraising for charity and other community support actions - standing against bullying - and so much more makes me think that it could be more.

I'd love your thoughts on this. <3

Please don't mind the brainyness ;)

I suppose being a part of any community will always be whatever you make of it, and I really have to hand it to the people who have used the fandom as a platform for something positive in the world.

Generally though, yeah, FIM is just a show and we just like to watch it, I think. It's a fun thing to follow and enthuse over, but I don't think it really extends that far beyond that for most people.

So - I'm new here and I've got a burning question...

As a fan group that challenges gender norms by watching a show 'meant' for girls is Bronydom a social movement?

Does it have the potential to be something more?

I know some people just like the show and all the production qualities associated with it (music, voice acting, animation, plot, etc) but I also see a lot of very astute Bronies putting their finger on gender stereotypes and some of the social problems/values that go with it.

Fundraising for charity and other community support actions - standing against bullying - and so much more makes me think that it could be more.

I'd love your thoughts on this. <3

Please don't mind the brainyness ;)

I suppose that depends on the fan member. Every person has potential to make a difference on their own. Maybe even small groups in the MLP Fandom community /do/.

Many fandoms do that sort of thing as well, every fandom has a opportunity to do good things for the world if they put their mind to them, but in my mind, at the end of the day it's still JUST a fandom, not a revolutionary social movement.

Would a public Fandom for something strange or taboo be revolutionary? Something that goes against social normality. I'm curious too. +1 Follower.

Would a public Fandom for something strange or taboo be revolutionary? Something that goes against social normality. I'm curious too. +1 Follower.

No, it's still just a fandom, if it goes against social norms, and draws awareness, that's good, but it's not a revolution, it's just a fandom :P At least in my opinion at any rate :D

I don't know if the fandom's challenging of norms is really the bigger story when it comes to FiM. it's not the first time a show intended for a female demographic has attracted a sizable number of male fans; I mean, if you look at Japan, most of the major girl's magical girl shows can claim to do the same sort of thing, no matter how the scope may be different.

A lot of people in this community seem inclined to make themselves the story, when really I think the thing which is truly revolutionary and flying in the face of norms is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic itself. Lauren Faust and everyone else who helped make it what it is put together something that reached so far beyond the shallow umbrella of entertainment for young girls, where limp, underwritten and terrible things were the industry standard. With its richly defined and varied characters, smartly written, fun, funny episodes, lush animation and intriguing world that it's really no wonder FIM became as big as it did.

"Bronies", or whatever else fans want to call themselves, do not watch the show out of a desire to fly in the face of gender norms or be a part of some revolution or movement. They watch it because it's an awesome, enjoyable show.

So would it be fair (or at least reasonable) to say that the majority of Bronies are challenging gender norms indirectly/accidentally rather than consciously?

Is it possible after the fact (of becoming a fan) and realizing the harassment others go through for being fans, to use one's voice to purposely challenge the arbitrariness of targeting/bullying based on gender and liking a cartoon?

It might not be a movement - but a place from which to move and advocate for change - for more tolerance, kindness, in the world in general.

Thanks for the responses so far! :)

I would say that, yes, it is accidental. Fans are generally drawn to FIM because it's enjoyable, not because of anything else. If the show was not the compelling, animation game changer it is, this wouldn't have happened. It's because Faust and her team made a series with such a broad and intense appeal that its become something so important to so many.

But yes, the experiences one has in the fandom can certainly be used to consciously pursue and advocate positive change. As I said in my first post, once you are a part of something it becomes whatever you'll make of it, good or bad. I think those who take it and use it to create positivity in the world deserve a lot of praise.

There are, however, some entitled, self-obsessed fans who make far too much of themselves who would make more of it all than is really appropriate. People can do great things in the name of fandom sometimes, but ultimately to be a fan is just that and unless you yourself are working toward those positive things it's not really much cause for celebration. Really it's the deeds themselves which are special, not labels.

Archived