The Magic of Alchemy (Private)

Zealot

It was an ordinary day at Lightout's shop. Or at least, as ordinary as you can get.

Lightout's store was somewhat off the beaten track, being a good ways away from the high street and down several side roads. It was only the intrepid few who could find it, or those that needed help in that particular kind of desperate. Still, its wooden frame was left bare of paint and the only thing to distinguish it was the sign on the door. Aforementioned sign read "Potions of Peculiarity, open."

Inside the wooden floors and walls were just as bare as outside, nothing but a small locked cabinet of potions and a counter adorned with a small bell, with yet another sign. This time it said "ring for service" since Lightout was, as ever, not manning the shop front. This is where he did his business, selling all kinds of potions and alchemical reagents to those that could afford it. Naturally, the unicorn could whip up just about anything.

This, he did downstairs in his lab. Lightout was currently working on another batch of a special mutative potion he had concocted. If all went well the potion should be able to give the drinker the ability to walk on clouds, like a pegasus, though only for a limited amount of time. He poured a small droplet of blue liquid into the green alchemical flask and mixed it well. "Perhaps a bit more sulphur," he muttered, engrossed in his work.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moonlight was at her library/home the name of the building was starry novels which was on the outskirts of ponyville. She was inside working on some notes to try for a potion she wanted to make but she currently only understand the basic of potion making.(or the other word for it)Moonlight decide she needed to get some more advance training to do it and also needs better stuff to make it. So she started to walk around town when she came across a shop called Potions of Peculiarity so she went inside. When she enter they was all kind of stuff around after walking around looking at everything she made her way to the counter and ringed the bell.

The unicorn glanced at the green potion, slowly turning to blue. He took a sniff, and inhaled the smell of rainwater. "Not good, " he muttered. "Needs more sulphur."

Lightout reached over to a small beaker which contained his supply of sulphur and sprinkled in a little more of the yellowish powder. The mixture bubbled fiercely, as if upset by its creator's decision. Then slowly, it murmured down to a simmer. Lightout took a small metal rod and gently stirred the mixture, turning it from blue to pure white. It was complete. The unicorn took the potion in his magic and lifted it off the stove. That was one down.

Then he heard the polite ring of his counter bell. Another batch of the potion would have to wait, he had a customer. Lightout put down the bottle and headed up the creaky wooden stairs to the back of his shop. From there, he turned left, then marched down the corridor leading to the store front.

He was confronted with a very distinctive unicorn mare. The first thing he noticed about her, was that her horn appeared to have been shattered. By what, he could not say. Her purple coat struck quite a contrast with her black and white mane, though he was no expert on fashion of course. Still, the unusual colouration set him on his guard. He had seen quite a few unsavoury characters in his time, though he was unsure if the unicorn mare fit his description of unsavoury. Her cutie mark, a black star, gave him no comfort in the matter. A black star was not a good sign. No doubt, there was definitely something off about her.

No matter, he greeted her just like any ordinary customer. Awkwardly. "Umm, hello there, Miss? Is there something I can help you with?" despite his confident stance, he sounds somewhat anxious and unsure of himself. Lightout was waiting to see where the chips would fall, as the saying goes.

Moonlight stood there waiting when she heard hoofsteps approaching her she turn her head to look at the pony. What she saw was a Young Stallion unicorn who has a yellowish coat that looks kinda faded because it was kinda dirty but not to dirty, his mane and tail was both cyan in color and look like it could use a good brushing like he just got out of bed, his cutie mark was a an alchemical flask containing a double helix.

"Moonlight, Moonlight Hooves and yes i was planning on making a potion but i think i need to get some ingredients and i am hoping i know what i have a list of what i think i need but i could be wrong as i am not a skill alchemist." said said Moonlight

Lightout nodded as the unicorn mare introduced herself as 'Moonlight Hooves'. So, she was a student of alchemy then? How fortunate that she should wander into the shop of one of Equestria's very best alchemists. "Oh, well then," he stammered. "My name's Lightout, I happen to know a know a lot about alchemy," the unicorn informed her.

Well of course he did? He owned a whole shop dedicated to potion making didn't he? It was a silly thing to say, but not unreasonable. He scolded himself internally for the statement. That was when his thoughts were drawn to the list of ingredients this Moonlight had brought.

There was a brief pause before he began, "Well. I should be able to help with that," he stated, glancing over his shoulder. Of course, he was thinking of his lab just in case something had gone wrong while he was upstairs. That was unlikely though. Shaking his head, he turned his attention back to the list once again. "What is it you're trying to make?" he asked, offering out his hoof so he might inspect the list.

Moonlight laughed awkwardly at what he said. "Is everything alright" asked Moonlight when she notice him looking over his shoulder after he did he shook his head. Well what i am trying to make is let's say it is a talent enhancer but it is just a theory" said moonlight lightly chuckleing.

after which she started her magic which was green and black (like king sombra's) but her eyes didn't change after concentrating for a bit she poof up a list of ingredients and alchemy items she needed then she try off her magic

Lightout's eyes widened at the question, "Oh yes everything's fine," he answered somewhat dismissively. He shot her a smile, and held it a little longer than he intended to. "Yes, fine, just trying to remember if I turned the stove off. Which I did," the unicorn confirmed with a wave of his off.

Now, onto the potion. He took the list of ingredients and supplies out of Moonlight's magic. Green and black? Where had he seen that before? The unicorn paused for a moment and regarded Moonlight curiously. It was probably nothing. Every unicorn's magic was different after all. He looked away and concentrated on the list.

"Ok, a talent enhancer you say? Well that's pretty general," Lightout admitted. Of course, there were all kinds of talent enhancers. It purely depended on the talent after all. "Did you want to be quicker?" he asked, "More intelligent? Stronger? More perceptive?" He threw her a wry smile, "More suggestive?" Lightout held that again for longer than he intended. It was a joke, but he genuinely didn't know right then what his customer wanted. He felt it best not to admit he had been joking.

"Or of course, better at magic? Or better at your unique talent? There are many ways to enhance skill," he said, trailing off. "So I ask again, what do you want?" The unicorn guessed he must have seemed quite full of himself. It was a problem of his. Lightout just got so excited about his work, he couldn't help but enthuse.

((i made a mistake it is green and purple not black i noticed it when i went to look at a pic of him using magic))

Moonlight just nodded at his smiling "yes a talent enhancer the one i am trying to make is more powerful then the others" said Moonlight. then he started listing off different thing and she shook her head at each one. Then he asked "Or of course, better at magic? Or better at your unique talent? There are many ways to enhance skill,". "well yes magic what i am trying to do with this potion is to gain enough magic to ascend" said Moonlight with a serious tone

Lightout's eyes quite positively lit up as she narrowed down on what she wanted to enhance. So it was her own magic she wanted to increase. That was good, there were many such potions that could accomplish that. "Well yes I," he began to say. However, he was interrupted.

"What I am trying to do with this potion is to gain enough magic to ascend," the mare stated seriously.

That took the colour out of the unicorn's joyful expression. Why? Because he had no idea what she meant by that. Lightout hated not knowing something, "I'm sorry. Come again?" he asked quizzically. "Ascend, what do you mean ascend?" What it sounded like was that she was doing something somewhat shady. The alchemist wanted no part in that, not unless she paid him well of course. Still, it sounded dangerous.

"I mean, I can certainly improve your magic with a potion, or even many potions. After all, there's quite a few. But it depends, I have no idea how much magic you need. Or even what kind," Lightout rambled. After all, he felt he needed to explain exactly what the problem with the order was. It might come off as condescending sure, but clarity was key. Besides, he didn't want to sound like he didn't know about the subject entirely.

Moonlight could see that Lightout could help and that almost is enough to smile. Then after her statement he was become confuse once he realize what she said as any normal pony would.Moonlight heard him asking Why? but she ignored it "I'm sorry. Come again?" he asked quizzically. "Ascend, what do you mean ascend?" ",well let me think how can i put it is a way for you to understand," she said then becoming quiet for quite a long time as she move as eyes left to right while looking at the wooden ceiling like she was looking for something when she was just thinking.

As she was Thinking as heard him talking in the background "I mean, I can certainly improve your magic with a potion, or even many potions. After all, there's quite a few. But it depends, I have no idea how much magic you need. Or even what kind," she didn't pay much attention to this after what felt like eternally going thought different scenario in her head all not having very good outcomes she decide to tell kinda a half truth as in what she needs it for and how much magic she needs but not why. "OK by ascend i mean moving onto another plane of life and before you say it no i don't mean dying" she stop waiting to see if he wanted to ask a question or not after waiting for a bit or after he finish asking his question "This Plane of life i am trying to get to it hard only 4 get to it in history((or 3 depends on when this take place not sure timeline was like after or before twilight becomes a alicorn))"She stop waiting to see if he wanted to ask a question or not after waiting for a bit or after he finish asking his question "now about the Magic if i had to guess i would say enough to rival the princesses" said Moonlight wondering how he would react to this and if he is still willing to help and if he understands what she mean

Right, that was... problematic. Lightout's expression grew serious for a moment. The unicorn mare was clearly a little deluded, no way could a potion cause a unicorn to ascend to become an alicorn. Well... that wasn't specifically true. There was one potion, though it only gave you ultimate power for half a second before you disappeared entirely. Lost forever. The most recent ascension had fascinated him. In his very lifetime, Princess Twilight Sparkle had been the only one to cross that gap. Likely there wouldn't be another for several thousand years. Lightout desperately wanted the chance to meet her. To take samples of course. Just one of her feathers could unlock the mysteries he sought.

While Moonlight's idea interested him, he lacked the capabilities she sought. But then again, enhancement potions could work if backed up by something else. "Ha," he chided the mare. "What you ask is incredibly, difficult. I have potions that will increase your magical potential, increase your magical power. Nothing compared to the heights you suggest though. Even if I could, such effects would be dependent on a steady supply of potion." Lightout shuffled uncomfortably, he guessed he was looking incompetent. "Perhaps stacked with your own magic it may be possible. I'm not sure how powerful you are. Of course I can give you wings temporarily which will make ponies think you're an alicorn. I might even be able to create a mutagen which could permanently increase your magical potential, though again, nothing like the heights of power you describe."

The unicorn smiled, "Besides. Such things would come with a hefty price tag."

Moonlight be confuse at his small ha. "yes i know it is incredibly, difficult no i would have to get very close to twilight power before i can attempt to a ascend "i think i am powerful enough, maybe powerful to different a Ursa minor.Unlike trixie i am not boosting about my power well maybe about the Ursa minor i haven't try to beat one of those but beside that i am pretty powerful and i have been studying on my talent every-since i got it so i know my limits." said moonlight after thinking for a bit "if you want you could try to guess what mt special talent is and to make it easier i will give you a hint" said moonlight waiting for his response if he give one or not " the hint is my talent is similar to but not exactly like princess twilight's. Also my magic aura should also be a hint if you think about it and with these two you should be easy guess it" said moonlight then turning to the side to give him a better look and she grab a random book from the shelf to just hold so he can see her aura better. After a bit more think "oh yea if these two don't give it a way i have one more thing that might if you want to see just tell me" said in a very rarely teasing manner as she give him a little wink

((i am sorry but i could resist doing that whatever happens is up to you but there would be no 100% fact that it will go down here maybe a 75% in a PM but your probably not up for that.on a side note Moonlight could use a colt friend))

Well, this customer certainly thought highly of herself. Sure, she said she wasn't boasting. Maybe she was powerful, maybe she wasn't. That didn't mean Lightout likes her saying it. He prefers proof and evidence. Then again, the unicorn had asked.

That was when she presented Lightout with a guessing game. Guess her special talent, the blackened star tainting her flank. The site of it unnerves the unicorn greatly as he observes her magic in operation. I don't guess, he thinks to himself. A simple detect magic or detect alignment spell could do the trick, but that would be obvious. Not that it hadn't been made obvious already. The mare possesses some dark magic, of which Lightout himself has little knowledge of. "Black magic," he says bluntly. His posture was now defensive and he's suspicious of Moonlight's intentions. That sure isn't good for business. Lightout starts to have reservations about helping the mare now he knows her nature.

The unicorn shifts uncomfortably and moves a hoof to the firelance placed under the counter as his need for survival kicks in. If she was going to cause trouble then he's ready. If she wasn't going to, well, he's definitely going to charge her extra for the inconvenience. "So," he begins, Lightout's tone moves from friendly to cautious. "Let's say you have the power. Do you want a temporary boost through a potion, or a mutagen? A mutagen will make the boost permanent, but will be to a lesser extent. Not to mention one of those could kill you compared to the temporary boost provided by a potion." The stallion thought to leave out the part about the pain which would be caused by the consumption of a mutagen.

There was an awkward silence. That made Moonlight uncomfortable she move her hooves on the ground to get rid of the silence that came to the shop then hearing Lightout say something she slowed the movement of her hooves but still enough to make a sound "Black magic," he says bluntly when he said that she stop her hoofs movement and look directly at him "Yep your right." says more happily then she turn and look away "Your the first i actually told that to. Normally ponies find out by my aura and they start to stay away from me because they think i might be bad or something and sometimes very rarely ponies hurt me and do things to me because of it." says Moonlight crying as she collapse to the ground "I am not a bad pony well not completely." she says still crying "These scars on me isn't my fault expect for two. Whenever somepony i meet i try to be friends then sooner or later they find out of my talent then they also start to avoid me and if i continue to try to intact to ponies they get stuff to throw at me normal thing like rocks and small things like that. I can't even tell you how many towns i have been run out of." says Moonlight she ran out of tears and is sniffing. Moonlight thought of her past was interrupted by Lightout. Still looking at he ground soaking in her sadness. "Let's say you have the power. Do you want a temporary boost through a potion, or a mutagen? A mutagen will make the boost permanent, but will be to a lesser extent. Not to mention one of those could kill you compared to the temporary boost provided by a potion." "More of a mutagen i guess." she said still looking at the ground not paying attention to him "Hey you want to know something about dark magic i discover in all my years of studying it of course you do.Your a smart kind pony who world seem more interest in that and also your the first to not the first to run me out of a shop. Anyway i discover that unlike normal magic, dark magic is made from your negative emotions." said moonlight as she finally look up she saw he was by his counter with his hoof inside of it she is guessing on some type of weapon when she saw this she let out some anger she was holding onto to let out in a safe place. She quickly rose to her hoofs so Piss off her eyes turn from her normal color to a Purple with green and she also started to use magic and made a sword out of her magic which was purple and green not moving forward waiting for him to make the first move if he attacks then she will also but if not then she won't.Her voice turning more dark and sinister sounding "If you attack me i will attack you if not i won't!" she say loudly with much anger in her new voice

The alchemist is taken completely by surprise as the unicorn mare starts to cry on his shop floor. Her tale of rejection and loss doesn't surprise him after he guessed her talent right. Anypony would be wary of those that delved too deep into those magical arts. It did not move him, for that would have been an error in judgement. Lightout hates errors.

No, instead he takes it with suspicion. It could be a ruse designed to make him lower his guard after all. Perhaps his enemies had gotten wise and had sent this mare to steal his research. All of which was quite possible, he just doesn't know where the dice fall with her. Lightout guessed he was going to have to force the issue before he trusted her to any length.

He was about to ask a question as the mare guesses what he's holding onto. The firelance was a very effective weapon, but the sight of the black sword that materialises in front of him gives him pause. The mare sounds angry now, possibly about to do something rash, he feels he needs to dial down the situation or his life may be in danger. "Look, I don't want trouble," he begins nervously. "Way I see it, no magic is inherently evil. It is how it is used. So put that away before we both do something we'll regret."

Moonlight still in rage of anger but keeping under control for the most part she just kept staring at him. While she wait for his decision then he started talking "Look, I don't want trouble," he begins nervously. "Way I see it, no magic is inherently evil. It is how it is used. So put that away before we both do something we'll regret." "i know and i don't want to either so i will put it away if you back away from yours" she said in her new voice

The poor alchemist is starting to panic now. Lightout really doesn't want to get into a fight, especially in his shop. He could break something. He could die, and the unicorn really doesn't want to do that. No, he was going to live forever. The unicorn doesn't handle conflict well, that's why he stays in Canterlot after all. For it to show up on his doorstep is too much.

Lightout's heartbeat increases tenfold and he struggles against the desire to flee outright. That would be a mistake after all, opening himself up to attack. While he's confident in the firelance's ability to take down a target, he's worried about the possible abilities of his opponent. After all, he was just an alchemist. He sure wasn't trained for this.

The unicorn's speech comes through quickly and erratically. There's no defiance in his voice, just irrational fear of conflict. "No," he answers. Lightout no longer sounds proud or clever. He just sounds desperate and afraid, clearly not the voice of the academic. Moonlight's angry tone a stark contrast to Lightout's. More and more it sounds like he's going to do something stupid. "I've got no reason to believe you will and I'm not giving up my only defence. Now put away your thrice dammed sword, please. I really don't want to hurt you, please, I don't but I swear I will if I have to. Now just please put away the sword." He frantically glances between the wielder of the sword and the sword itself. The thought of it plunging towards him is terrifying. He twitches at the thought and his breathing starts to become ragged. There's more going on here than just being under pressure.

Moonlight just stand there still what an angry look in her glowing green and purple eyes but was still trembling a little from what might happen.

Then he spoke "I've got no reason to believe you will and I'm not giving up my only defence. Now put away your thrice dammed sword, please. I really don't want to hurt you, please, I don't but I swear I will if I have to. Now just please put away the sword.

Moonlight giggle a little after which she began to speak "you know what i once was in a similar situation like this not going to go into much details. The other pony said something like what you said just now and i did put away my weapon and i processed to leave but right as i left the pony attack me anyway thankfully i got away with just a small cut. So how do i know if you won't do the same i am also not giving up my only defense" said Moonlight

Then she tighten her magic grip on her sword.

"i guess we are at a stand off neither of us will lower our guard because we want to defense our self from the other. But we won't get any where unless one of us lower our guard. So Mr. Lightout what do we do i could if i needed span my magic over a couple hours as this spell doesn't take much magic from me. you on the other hoof properly can't stand there forever. Neither of use is going to do something unless the other does something" say Moonlight

Lightout visibly shudders at her response. That was not what he wanted to hear. She had just giggled, like some evil maniac in one of those bad comic books. The very idea that she wasn't taking this situation as seriously as he just feels wrong. They are on the cusp of rendering fire and doom upon each other unless one of them did something to calm the tensions.

The unicorn forces himself to remain calm, though a bead of sweat starts to run down his head. One wrong move and it was all over, they would be at each other quicker than two wonderbolts out of the stocks. But what could he do? He wasn't about to walk away from his firelance, but perhaps he could take his hoof off it? Would that calm tensions? It had to work, for both their sakes.

Taking a few ragged breaths, the alchemist speaks in the same fearful voice, "Look I don't want to hurt you. Really I don't, I'm the one being threatened here so please just lower the sword. I'm taking my hoof off my weapon, but I won't walk away until you lower your sword. Alright? Please, I don't want to fight." Slowly, watching Moonlight's every move, he takes his hoof off the firelance stored under the counter. For good measure he takes a small step back, but not nearly enough so that he can't quickly grab it once again if he has to. "See, I don't want to fight. Now please, lower the sword." Lightout's pulse quickens and he braces himself in case he's just made a huge mistake.

Moonlight see that Lightout took his hoof off the weapon and take a step back.

Moonlight glare at him for a few seconds then she looked up at the ceiling and stare at it for a bit thinking

"OK i will but not completely" say Moonlight then she transform her sword into a dagger then lower it. then she turn her eyes back to normal

After a while the unicorn takes a heavy sigh of relief as he sees the large dark sword shrink to the size of the dagger. "Ok. I will, but not completely," Moonlight says as her eyes return to their normal hue. This make Lightout feel a lot better. Maybe this pony wasn't so bad after all? Or maybe it was a trick?

Still, he had made a promise that he would step away from the firelance once she lowered her blade. The alchemist wasn't in the habit of breaking promises and takes another few steps away from the weapon, now on the other side of the counter. Far out of reach. He's still nervous about trusting this mare which is evident in his voice and on his face. "See," he begins haltingly. "We're friends here, right? Not going to do anything silly." He makes a nervous chuckle as his eyes dart once more from Moonlight to the ethereal dagger.

Lightout starts to ponder what is going to happen next. Even if she dispels her dagger, what happens then? He didn't particularly want her in his shop with how she responded to his idle concern of safety. Granted it wasn't the polite thing to do, but how was he supposed to react? Moonlight wielded a dark and terrible power, and while he believed his earlier statement of 'power is not inherently evil' he was questioning if Moonlight herself was evil. Maybe if she would consent to a simple detect alignment spell. Then he'd know for sure if she meant him harm. Now he had a plan, he guessed he should wait to see how she responded to the abandonment of his weapon.

Moonlight saw Lightout as move onto the other side of the counter out of reach of his weapon.That made her feel relief and she then made her dagger disappear and turning off her magic.

"See," he begins haltingly. "We're friends here, right? Not going to do anything silly." He makes a nervous chuckle as his eyes dart once more from Moonlight to the ethereal dagger.

"yea sure" say moonlight sadly then she continue "i guess you want me to leave now don't you" say moonlight not really in her more angry voice but more of a sorrowful one as she turn starting to head for the door

Lightout breathes a heavy sigh of relief as Moonlight dispels the blade. Good, the situation had successfully been defused. Now all that is left is to clean up the mess of the misunderstanding. The alchemist was sure that's what it was. She had drawn her sword because she though he was going to attack her once he had discovered her power.

The thing is, that kind of magic isn't inherently malevolent. As Lightout had claimed, it was the user who matters and not the power itself. The thought of the detect alignment spell drifts into his head once again. Maybe Moonlight isn't so bad and maybe it's just his paranoid getting the better of him. After all, how was one supposed to react upon being informed of black magic.

As she turns to go, a quaver of doubt drifts into the alchemist's mind. She did lower her weapon. That was a good sign. Right? His voice is still ragged from the stress of earlier, but it's steadier now. "Well, there is the detect alignment spell," Lightout begins. "I don't really trust you right now, you were just waving a sword in my face. But if I used that on you. Well, it would let me know where I stand." He waits for her response. Either way, it would be nice to know if she really was evil or not. Maybe that would make Lightout feel better for wanting her out of his shop.

Moonlight was close to the door about to leave when she heard him talking

"Well, there is the detect alignment spell," Lightout begins. "I don't really trust you right now, you were just waving a sword in my face. But if I used that on you. Well, it would let me know where I stand."

Moonlight turn around to face him still by the door. she started thinking 'about the detect alignment spell' "the reason i drew my blade is because i thought you was going to attack me alot of ponies do when they find out because of what King Sombra did. But OK i will let you use it but i am staying here so i can easily leave if i have to" say Moonlight

Archived