The Magic of Alchemy (Private)

Zealot

It seemed to the alchemist that she was as nervous as he was. It was understandable and certainly he had warranted some degree of mistrust. Still, Lightout has her permission to use the spell.

Gingerly he begins to cast the spell, given Moonlight's assurance that she was prepared to bolt if he did anything off. The unicorn didn't intend to though. His horn flared yellow, the colour of his own magical aura and a burst of light emanated from the spell. Lightout cast the 'detect evil' spell which was what he was concerned about. He makes the subject of the spell the unicorn mare in front of him and the ray of energy bounces off Moonlight, indistinguishable from a light breeze. There appears to Lightout to be no visible reaction, her aura remains the same and does not flare to indicate the alchemist in the presence of an evil being.

So. It was true what she was saying. Moonlight doesn't mean Lightout any harm. This makes him feel a lot better. "Well," he begins, "I guess I owe you an apology. You're not evil, so I'm not going to kick you out." He chuckles to lighten the mood, "certainly not going to attack. You wanted a mutagen? I think I have one downstairs. It'll be expensive though, not to mention the risk." He lingers on that point for a moment. She understood that any mutagen came with the possibility of death right?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The alchemist shakes his head at her enthusiasm. "Alright, but first you're going to need to know a few things." His normal confident voice had returned and as he spoke he used his magic to levitate a sheet of paper to the counter top. "Taking a mutagen is a dangerous procedure, and there is a small chance you will die. Granted, I've never had anypony die on me yet but I don't want to start now."

His tone becomes more serious as he explains the procedure. "In total the mutagen will take twelve hours to complete its work. During that time you will have to be unconscious or suffer excruciating pain. Either way, several hours of pain will render anypony unconscious. I will give you an infusion so that you will fall asleep before that begins and I will give you another so that you will not feel the pain while you sleep. Afterwards you will be weak, groggy and you will feel pain in your stomach. Also I've been told your horn will be itchy. All of which is normal and I will be here to take care of you afterwards. All part of the service." The alchemist tries a quick smile at her as he begins the grim news. "Of course, there is the chance you will die in the procedure, even if I get the mixture right. This contract states that I cannot take responsibility for that as you agreed to the risk beforehand. Suffice to say I haven't lost anypony yet and studies show that survival is linked to physical and magical fitness. Given that, I rate your chances as very good. The possibility of this going wrong is negligible. If it does goes wrong, well, I have a few tricks which might save you and I will be by your side the whole time just in case."

The time he had given customers mutagens were always the most stressful. Lightout is slightly concerned, even with Moonlight's magical ability being more than enough to merit good survival odds. "With that," he begins again after giving the mare a moment to consider. "Do you have any questions or concerns about this?"

Lightout nods as she signals her understanding. "Alright then," he responds as he floats the contract towards her. "Sign that, and then follow me."

The unicorn turns away from Moonlight and heads down the corridor he came through when he first arrived to the backroom. This room contained two sets of staircases. One going down to Lightout's lab on the right and one going up to Lightout's home on the left. Several crates of alchemical supplies were stacked up against the opposite wall and the room looked just as debilitated as the front of the shop. Upstairs there was only one room which was a mix of bedroom, dining room and kitchen where Lightout lived. Though he didn't spend much time up there, preferring the surroundings of the lab downstairs. The intention was for Moonlight to use his bed while she, for lack of a better word, transformed. He wasn't about to let the mare sleep on the floor after all. It was going to be a delicate process and Lightout's double bed would prove useful in that respect. "Head up those stairs," he called idly without checking to see if she was following. "Make yourself comfortable on the bed while I go get the necessary potions."

Meanwhile Lightout headed downstairs to the lab. His white potion was still where he had left it. That was good, it meant he could walk away from potion making for the day while he kept an eye on Moonlight. The unicorn became engrossed in the number of bottles and beakers that lay on the shelves and cabinets of his laboratory. Eventually he found the potions he was looking for. A mutagen to enhance magical ability, and a sleeping draught.

"OK," say moonlight grabbing a quill and sign the paper she then followed him after putting the quill away.

Moonlight follow Lightout We walk down a corridor then we got to a back room of soft they was two staircases one going up the other going down Moonlight look up and down as far as she can of them without move it appears the stairs that go down goes are longer then the ones that goes up. After she finish looking Lightout said something.

"Head up those stairs," he called idly without checking to see if she was following. "Make yourself comfortable on the bed while I go get the necessary potions."

"oooook" said Moonlight unsure as she was heading up she saw Lightout was heading down.

Arriving at to the room she took a look around and saw it was not just a bedroom but also a kitchen and dining room but not in anything because that was rude and her mother taught better then that after she finish looking around she made her way to the bedroom and to the bed after arrive to the bed she just sat on the edge of it for a moment after she made herself comfortably like he said. It took a few minutes going though different sleeping poses like she does every night after she was done the final pose she stuck with was her under his blanket with just her head sticking out but under the blanket she was more in a sitting pose then a laying one but she was laying down

Lightout inspects the tiny vial of shimmering blue potion that is Moonlight's requested mutagen. He checks it under an alchemical apparatus, similar to a giant magnifying glass, before he gives it his approval. The potion will work. The alchemist does the same for the dull pink sleeping draught. This potion is contained in a glass flask and is designed to let the drinker drift into a natural sleep within five minutes as well as numb the senses to stimulus. Lightout, in a moment of kindness, quickly adds an extra herb to the mix. A sprinkling of dream seeds that is guaranteed to give Moonlight pleasant dreams.

With the two potions gripped in magical yellow aura, Lightout heads back upstairs to the back room and then upstairs again to what is essentially his home. There he finds Moonlight sitting up in his bed with the blanket draped over her. That was good, clearly she trusts him a bit better now.

The alchemist marches over to the bedside announcing, "One mutagen to improve magical ability and one sleep draught." It was going to be expensive, but the mare had said she had the money. "I reckon that'll be about three hundred bits. Mutagens don't come cheap."

"Yea, i guess not one moment" say Moonlight as she started her magic up she focus for a bit and in a flash of her magic a small bitbag appear then she floated it over to him

"all of the bits should be in there" say moonlight as she pointed to the bag with one hoof dropping the blanket a little.

Lightout takes the small bag of bits as Moonlight deposits it into an outstretched hoof. The alchemist puts the bag down onto the floor and levitates the pinkish sleeping draught over to Moonlight.

"Ok," he begins. "This will send you to sleep for twelve and a half hours. It should taste like strawberry. I put a little extra dream seed in there so you'll have nice happy dreams," the unicorn says encouragingly. "I'll be here to keep an eye on you until you wake up like I said. You won't feel the effects right away, but don't worry it'll work. So drink up, all of it."

He hovers the infusion there for a brief moment to allow Moonlight to take it before he offers up the mutagen itself. "And this is the mutagen, it looks pretty but it will taste like hoof. Take your time with this one." Of course if the sleeping infusion works too well then Lightout would have to force the mutagen down the poor mare's throat, which he never liked to do. Still, it was an alternative. He stood there by the bedside with confidence. After all, he had told her there was the possibility of death, if he looked worried then that might have adverse affects. Lightout sure didn't want that.

"Ok," says Moonlight as she started to drink it as soon as she got it and she still listen as he continue to talk about the next potion after she finish she feels it working right away and the real world started to become fuzzy

Moonlight nodded to the next one and drink it all before she fell asleep.

Lightout watches as Moonlight drinks up the sleeping draught and the mutagen. "Have pleasant dreams," he says as she drifts off to sleep. He just hopes that everything will be ok.

Once Moonlight is asleep Lightout heads over to the other side of the room and levitates a book over as he sits on a nearby chair. The book was on advanced alchemy, a study of several different reagents that may prove useful for his research. Anti-ageing herbs were usually just a falsehood for the weak minded, but they were worth looking into for Lightout's needs. As the hours tick by, the unicorn alchemist checks Moonlight's progress and for any signs that the mutagen may be going wrong. There are none, thankfully.

Soon several hours have gone by and Lightout has made himself a light dinner to sate his hunger while he continues his vigil, waiting for the moment when Moonlight comes to. He pours over several more volumes as he eats, all of which are fruitless. It seems Lightout's quest for immortality will not be solved tonight.

After a good long while the alchemist's eyes grow tired and he's glad to see Moonlight beginning to stir right on cue. After nine hours it's late evening and the stallion walks over to the kitchen to pour a glass of water for the mare, as well as set up some light toast. She was going to be weak and groggy but she would also be sick in her stomach. Unfortunately, toast was all he could do for her. Still she had survived, that was something.

For the most part Moonlight was having nice dreams but unknown to her she was being watch but not by Luna.

back in the real world Lightout was reading an advanced alchemy book but unknown to him bits of green magic area was coming off of Moonlight it was so faint that you would need to really check to see it and its easy to miss.

After a couple hours the green aura that was coming started to come off strong As the mutagen started to feed off of Moonlight magic.

After Lightout went to the kitchen to get something to eat. The aura left Her off the bed and she it cover her rumble the house like a small earth-shake after which there was a huge flash and Moonlight was gone.

Lightout panics as the house begins to shake. A mass of convoluted thoughts race through his head. What is happening? What is going on? What are those green sparks? Why is the house shaking? The whole thing catches the unicorn completely off guard. He discards his book and dashes to the bathroom down the hall to clamber into the bathtub. After all, that's what you're meant to do in an earthquake right. Poor Moonlight lying on the bed doesn't even cross his mind. The alchemist's brain demands self preservation, and that is what Lightout fights to achieve.

Unfortunately the entire episode is over before his countermeasures would have been useful. Still, the master of potions squats in the bathtub for at least three minutes before clambering out to see what the damage was. That is when the state of his client cross' his mind and he scolds himself for his un-chivalrous behaviour.

Lightout cautiously enters the room to find a few things smashed or knocked over, but no lasting damage has been done. He glances over to the bed to see that Moonlight has vanished into thin air, leaving behind an unsightly scar on his bed. "Oh that's just great," the alchemist exclaims as he examines the sheets. "I brewed that up correctly, what they hay is all this? My potion sure couldn't have done this, there's no way." The alchemist surveys the room, having lost a client. He seem to be quite shaken by this. "Well, great... At least she paid me and signed the contract I guess..." Still, his mind swirled. What exactly has just happened?

When Moonlight open her eyes she found herself floating in pitch blackness no matter what direction she turn all she saw was blackness.Then she hear a voice but couldn't see where it was coming from.

"oh so a new one has finally come has it" say a voice but before Moonlight could say anything another voice talked "yes it appears so a pony that's trying to become immortal" say the second voice "or maybe the pony is trying to become more powerful i sense a great darkness inside of her the last time i felt such darkness was went that fool Sombra found our domain" the third voice say

the first voice was about to say something when it got interrupted by Moonlight "Where am i" she says

"why you are in the dark world my dear" say the first voice, "the one place normal ponies can't get to and even the Princesses would actually have to try to get here it is no small feat" say the second voice

"then how did i get here and why" say Moonlight as she turn to the way she heard a voice but hard to tell because the voice sounds like its this way and it also sounds like its coming from all around at the same time

"well we sense you looking for more power and also you use our magic so we thought we would allow you to get some more" said the third voice.

Out in the real world as Lightout surveys the room he notices faint green and purple magic just floating around the room and he can also heard a faint Moonlights voice come from them

As Lightout glances around he starts to grow fearful once again. There's the strange glow of poisonous magic around the room and he distinctly hears a voice in his ear. The whole thing smells of disaster, as well as the smoke like scent of dark magic. That's it, the alchemist has had enough. "No," he demands, "Not worth my life, I'm out of here." He lifts the bag of bits using his magic and hastily trots downstairs.

The plan is simple, go to the lab and drink several enhancement potions. Then he needs to take his payment, head outside, lock the door and go someplace safe. The alchemist loathes to go out at night, there was bound to be muggers and other villainous scum who used the night for cover. Still, that's what the enhancement potions were for.

After that, well... Maybe it would be safer to go to Manehatten, or Filiedelphia or Ponyville. Either way, out of Canterlot. Clearly he was wrong when he thought that he would be safe in the capital.

the first voice laughs after a bit the other two start to laugh also

"what's so funny?" puzzle Moonlight

"oh just something fun is going to go down soon" said the third voice. "and if you can surval if you and him can survive this we will give you and maybe him what you both want" continue the second "bye" said finish the first voice after that Moonlight got knock out

As Lightout was quickly running and packing he didn't notice there was an unusual fog over the Canterlot and after he leaves and locks the door the disappear after that he notices one of his saddle bags sit outside with some stuff in it two wooden type small boxes, a lantern, some oil and a map of the city

Lightout had packed and he had packed well. Once he had made his way back down the stairs to the lab he used his magic to lift a saddlebag onto the counter and piled in a good number of potions, provisions and useful items. Chief among them were two fire arrows, four fire lances, healing potions, utility potions, magical enhancement potions, food, water, bits. Pretty much everything he would need, or thought he would need. After that was done the alchemist drank a magical enhancement potion to give him a temporary boost. The ticklish blue fluid tasted like strawberry as it poured down his gullet. Still, he felt the familiar kick from the potion signifying it's effect. 

With that done the master of potions walked back up the stairs, trying to remain calm about the whole situation. It would be easy, just walk out the door, lock up and head out of Canterlot. Turns out he'd spoke too soon. 

An unnatural mist had descended over Canterlot, obscuring his vision. Even stranger, there appeared to be some supplies waiting for him. A lantern and a can of oil. "Huh," Lightout exclaimed, feeling a little nervous. What was going on? Something was very wrong. Maybe it would be best to head back inside and barricade himself in? At any rate, he cautiously approached the supplies. The lantern he filled with oil then used his magic to levitate it onto a clip on his saddle, then he lifted the map and examined it closely. There must have been a map left there for a reason, right?

As Lightout look around at some nearby buildings he saw that they was boarded up and some windows and pieces of building was either broken off or falling apart or both.Some doors was boarded up while others wasn't even when he looks at his own building he sees the same thing like nopony has been here for centuries.

Yeah, it's probably best to just stay inside right? This will all be sorted out by the Princesses and he should just curl up in his lab and barricade all the door and windows. The alchemist took a step back and found his way blocked by his own door. 

Lightout turned back to see that his shop now appeared to be abandoned, its front door and windows boarded up. What in Equestria had just happened? He'd been in there just moments ago hadn't he? Something was definitely not right, this wasn't normal. Had he travelled through time somehow? Because as far out as that explanation was it didn't seem all that far-fetched, given the evidence. Still, the poor stallion lost heart when he saw that the whole street had turned into a ghost town. The sky was grey and dark and the air was cold and chill. Weeds grew in the cobblestone road and signs of erosion were evident across the buildings. Almost as if the whole of Canterlot had been abandoned for centuries. 

Either way, this horror unnerved the alchemist, who now found himself in what could be a very dangerous situation. His life was in danger and he needed to get away from whatever this was. Perhaps this was all just an illusion? No, it felt too real. Far too real. 

Lightout took another look at the map and decided the best course of action was to get out of Canterlot. Clearly whatever had happened meant that this place was a danger. He could feel it in his bones. Although then again, if the place was abandoned then the Princess' castle remained unguarded. Perhaps there were still tomes of lost knowledge to be acquired. Perhaps something of relevance to his research. The opportunity was too good to be true. Even if it was fruitless, the walk to the castle would give him a better idea of what was going on. 

So there, it was decided. Lightout lit the lantern and started a brisk walk to Canterlot Castle, armed with a firelance and keeping a keen watch on the shadows. 

As Lightout walked to the Castle he noticed that manly all the buildings was the same but there was a couple that boarded up but the door wasn't. Lightout also noticed that The Moon in the sky was Red like blood and giving everything a red tint and every now and then moans can be heard, The wind that went by made a howling sound and this continue until he made it to the castle the trip felt like it lasted longer then it did.

Lightout is standing in frout of the Castle Doors to the left and right of it was a pile of armor that has rusted The outer wall of the Castle has pieces missing and moss growing on it.

It was quiet in Canterlot. The streets abandoned and the houses looking like they were in ruin. Several of the houses lay open, all of which Lightout watched with suspicion. He half expected some nightmarish monster to jump out at him. But none did. The blood red moon set an eerie light on the castle and the wind grew chill. With all of this happening, Lightout was on edge.

Worse, it seemed to take an awful long time to dodge in and out of the streets towards the castle. It was if time was slowed and Lightout slowed with it. Still, eventually he reached the castle which looked as ruined as everything else. The walls were crumbling and moss grew unkempt. 

With the castle doors before him, there was nothing to do but open them. So that's what he did, readying a firelance just in case he awoke some eldritch horror. Once they were open, it was onto the library. Maybe he would even find something to give him a clue of where he was.

He opened the castles doors and a huge gust of cold wind hit him after which he enter the castle then the doors closes by themselves and locked.

Inside the castle it was dark but there was a faint red light coming out of the windows from the Moon. He could see some parts of the walls and roof is missing and now broken on the ground and from what he could see the floor was intact

The gust of wind chilled the alchemist to the bone and he stood there for a good while, looking around at the crumbled ruin of the castle. The moon gave the castle a nightmarish appearance and Lightout's courage began to falter. 

Only after a few calming breaths, and an assurance that no matter what he did he was in trouble anyway, the stallion stepped forward into the castle. While the potion master didn't know the exact layout of the castle he knew where the library was and where the restricted section was. There he might find something valuable worth the danger of this hellish version of Canterlot. Different theories were still going through his head of course. Alternate dimension. Forward in time. Alternate reality. This was a dream. All were equally plausible, but there was no proof. He needed information. Perhaps the library would contain information on his current situation as well.

With a firelance gripped tightly in hoof, Lightout crept through the castle. He navigated the broken masonry and proceeded to the Canterlot library. This place was eerily silent and the alchemist was convinced that any moment something was going to descend on him. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Castle was so silent that he could only hear his hoofsteps. As he made his way to the Library the castle got worse more and more of the castle appear to be broken some walls was even gone and the floor started to appear broken reviling the ground under it and as he continue he floor started to crack underneath him.

Finally Lightout made it there one of the doors was gone but the other stay close of what it could on the broken hinge he could see that alot of the tables was broken and/or rotten that some of the bookshelfs was broken alot of books appear to be missing and there was dead pony bodys and skeletons everywhere.

The thundering of Lightout's hooves echoed through the halls, piercing the silence like a dagger. Every step for Lightout was an eternity. Moving along the corridor, step by step. Stopping to see if it was clear. Step by step. Waiting to hear if anything else stalked the halls of the ruined castle. There was the sound of approaching hoofsteps ahead and Lightout tensed up. The alchemist raised a firelance in preperation to fire into the shadows. But nothing came.

After a good minute, the potion master cautiously stepped forwards and looked around the corner. He saw a small drip of an overhead pipe, clattering on the stone at regular intervals. He sighed in relief, and continued onward. 

He poked his head through the library entrance to a horrific sight. Most of the books appeared to be missing and the room seemed to be half destroyed. Old blood stains splattered the floor and the alchemist almost retched when he saw the skeletons before him. That was not an encouraging sign. Still, taking another minute to himself he mastered his courage and entered the room. The contorted poses of the skeletons did not fill the alchemist with much confidence. Nor did he particularly like the shrill silence in the air. He felt as if he was being watched. Lightout took a glance at the roof, but saw nothing lurking there. It didn't feel like silence for him, everything was humming with the noises of his imagination. Just what had done this, where was he? No matter, he pressed on to the restricted section of the library. Hopefully there he would find a spell or something that could help him.

Archived