The Magic of Alchemy (Private)

Zealot

Lightout headed to the restricted area as he did he could hear some sounds coming from that wing like the rattling of bones and something moving of books and somepony talking to themselves but the words was so disjointed he couldn't make them out no matter how much he listen and as he got closer more and more books was scattered along the ground.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a creak of wood, Lightout entered the restricted section of the library. One thing was certain, this place was in dire straights. Priceless tomes littered the floor in various states of disrepair. Water damage, fire damage. Even time had eroded these artefacts of knowledge. The unicorn picked at the floor to see if any of the pages could be useful and added a book to his saddlebag if it could. Though he very much doubted that much, or indeed any, information could be gathered from the books here. Maybe coming here was a bad idea.

His ear flicked as he heard a distinct sound. The muted sounds of muttering, or whispering. He involuntarily gasped at the noise and raised a firelance aggressively in the vague direction of the sound. It seemed as if he wasn't alone any more. He stood his ground, breathing in ragged breaths and peering into the darkness before him. 

With the stacks so silent these mumbling sounds sounded so loud, yet so indistinct. There was nothing here but him and the dark and those mumbling sounds, those terrible sounds. The alchemist shuddered with a combination of cold and fear and started to back away. Whatever was in these ruined stacks was hostile, of that he was sure. It made no sense to run away though, his logical mind stopped him in his tracks. If he made a stand and waited for whatever was here to come to him, he could end it quickly with a burst from the firelance. Yes, he could beat it, he was dosed up on potions after all. 

His confidence returned and Lightout steeled himself for the encounter. "Hello?" he called questioningly into the dark stacks. "Is somepony there? I don't want trouble. Come on out into my light, I don't want to fight but I will if I have to." With that he cast two magelights, one by himself and the other down the corridor of the stack, roughly where he heard the voice coming from. He still held his weapon up and ready, prepared for anything to jump out of those shadows. Still, whatever was there it was now their move and Lightout would have to face the consequences. 

• 2 months later...

After a while looking though the books he found on he could read, he found others but he could read them as if in an dead language or something of foreign language.

[Got a book on Monstrosity]

As the mage lights appear he could see anything at first but he could still hear the same thing of books moving and bones rattling after a moment the sounds stop,

"hello, who are you and what are you doing in my library" said a voice but he could see the pony thats talking

Lightout was quite surprised to find that the majority of the books appeared to be in some strange alien text. What was this? If this was the restricted section of the library, surely there would be books in Equestrian. Nevertheless, he did find on he could read and pocketed the tome in his saddlebag. At least it wasn't a wasted trip. There was no telling what treasures were in the Princess' library. Though the book may not be relevant to his current situation, Lightout was at a complete loss as to what was. He might as well make the best of things. It wasn't every day you found Canterlot completely deserted after all. Still, he got the impression that this was a bad idea.

Nevertheless that was before he had cast a magelight and confronted whatever was hidden in the stacks. That rattling sound was starting to get to him, and he felt a shiver run up his spine. Lightout steeled himself and gripped the firelance for reassurance. Yes, whatever was here he could deal with it. That much he was certain of, he had to be certain of it else he would probably have bolted in terror by now. 

The alchemist gave off a little gasp as a pony materialised into the light. He couldn't quite make out their features. What were they, were they a unicorn like himself? A pegasus? Or just an earth pony? Either way, he felt a little relieved. He could definitely handle one pony. "Umm," he stuttered, and shuffled on the spot in unease. "Last I checked, this was the library of Princess Celestia," he stated, trying to sound confident. He failed miserably of course. "I don't know who you are, or what in tartarus is going on. I don't think either of us is supposed to be here though. Am I right?" With a slight force of will he decided to move the magelight a little closer to the figure so he might make them out. Still, he was standing his ground. For now. 

The other pony laugh a bit "boy thats a name i haven't heard in how long" said the voice then he had some disjointed mumbles to himself after a bit of this "at least a 1000 years or so" said the voice after hearing the other questions "my name now is not important as to whats going on the same thing as aways." he said, he stook his head "from the looks of it your not but i am always have always will be" he said, then he notice you moving your magelight and he back away to stay out of the light "i think its for the best if you don't see me" he said

Lightout was again surprised. A thousand years? That would explain things. If he had been transported a thousand years in the future, then that was enough time for Canterlot to turn to dust. A lot can happen in that time, maybe even Princess Celestia had vanished. That was all the information he needed, and he tried not to let that show. All he needed was to find some kind of spell in the Canterlot archives that would send him back. He didn't want any part in what was going on here, and he was determined to extricate himself from the situation. All he needed was a time spell, though he would need to overcharge himself on magic potion to perform such a feat. It was the only plan he really had right then.

Still, the stranger was being vague and was simply a plain annoyance now. What was he talking about? What had happened? Frankly Lightout didn't care, he just wanted to get back to his own timeline and get back to his potions. Messing with time was downright dangerous. Whatever happened in the future he could deal with it then. If eternal life was his goal then he would have a thousand years to prepare, right? Still, the stranger presented a problem though. The time spells were in this very library, he would need to bypass this obstacle in order to get home. He could resort to brute force of course, but that was better for a last resort. 

Lightout gave an irritated sigh and stopped the magelight in its tracks. "Alright, let's just cut the roundabout questions. I need a spell in this library. Now, if you've taken up residence then I guess that means it'll be yours. Now, I'll be happy to maybe trade something for this spell, or whatever. I'll get right out of your way after I have it and won't bother you again. Heck, this spell might not even exist or even be here, though I'd like to look and make sure. So, are you going to stand in my way or can I go back to looking for said spell?" It had been a pretty bad day, and Lightout wasn't really in the mood to screw around. Without any real indication of what to do, the plan was simple. Go get spell, get out. Failing that, go find spell, get out. Failing that it was simply go find someplace safe and continue his research. He wanted no part in whatever 'adventure' some might consider this to be. 

"well you can take a look around but i for whatever spell you need doubt you will find it though" He said then he began to walk away "also if you everyneed me just call me" he said she he slide something across the ground in the dark when it got into the light and stopped by Lightout's hoofs, he could see that its a Book shape whistle "also that book you took is a very special book you can keep it for now but i want it back before you leave also i don't have a name so if you want to give me one you can." he said then process to do what he was doing when you enter and the sounds of rattling bones and books moving began again

Lightout shrugged at this. Well, it seemed that the library was open for business. Even if it did have some sort of creepy librarian. Nonetheless, Lightout scooped up the whistle and inspected it. The small object appeared to be shaped like a book, though was otherwise unremarkable. "Alright, thanks Jeeves," Lightout called into the darkness. He pocketed the whistle.

With that out of the way, it was time to find the time spells. If he had free roam of the library, then that meant the Starswirl the Bearded wing would be open as well. Hopefully, unless in a thousand years some traps had activated, or some other strange librarian had taken up residence. An unfriendly one. Nonetheless, the book that had been mentioned was also in Lightout's possession. True, it seemed important to him. He intended to give it back though. This was a library after all, he didn't own anything here. He only borrowed. 

Once that had been collected in his head, Lightout turned and started to walk off to the Starswirl the Bearded wing. If the time spells were there, great. He could go home. If not, he was stumped. He'd have to find some sort of atlas or records of Equestria and find a new place to live. Then he could get back to his research. He cared little for whatever was going on here. He simply wanted to get back to his potions. Adventure wasn't what he had in mind when he signed up for this. 

[Got Book Whistle] Lightout made his way to the Starswirl he bearded wing the doors was intact but they was wide open he could see unnatural Shadows covering the ground in certain spots but beside that the room was mostly light in a red light from the red moon and the skylight window on the roof, so he can see clearly and there was a glowing coming from his bag

((ok then since you ignore the glow aka my warning you can only blame yourself if something bad happens))

Lightout walked blindly into the room ignoring the glow from his bag, he looks around for a time spell that could help him walking and looking at every bookcase, even the ones in the unnatural Shadows when he goes into one of them he feels something going along him and slight like something was biting him.

Archived