A Saraneivo Seranade (Thunderbuck, storm, 1 Slot Open!)

Blueblood

Trotting down the streets of this city, one felt that the ponies in it lived off of art as much as food.  There was not one building without something unique to set it apart, nor were any schools of architecture left unrepresented.  Stolid Earth Pony works stood shoulder-to-hoof with the classical cloud works of the pegasi, which in turn were often moored to Unicorn magic towers.

One never went down a street that was not festooned with some painting or colored drapery, no squares were without sculpture, and everywhere the air was filled with sound of music.

Earth Writer felt both exhilarated, and exhausted.  The traveling reporter could not name a city, even his own native Canterlot, that was filled with so much beauty and sublimity, but taken altogether, it was overwhelming!  Nopony could take it in all at once, though the tan unicorn had tried.  This left him wandering the streets, having missed lunch, when an absolutely wonderful smell hit his nose.

*Hm, it seems the culinary arts are represented here as well!*  There was a sweetness and spice in it, which was just how the stallion liked his food!  Earth was an adventurous eater, quite at home in the far kitchens of Equestria.  This time, his nose was leading him to an unpretentious-looking inn, full of a warm welcome and wooden tables (finely crafted, of course.)  Somewhere, a hidden piano was being played, quite well if the unicorn was any judge.

"Hello?"  He called out, full of expectation, and not just of lunch.  This looked like the sort of place that stories started in, and it was very much his job to be on the spot when they happened...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

((hope you don't mind but i am just going to post her name is quartz autumn app in sig still work in progress)) Autumn was on her journey she likes to go around telling of tales of olden times and her music. now a days ponies don't play the Ocarina as much or at all if any but she still likes it as it is was a gift from her late mother. she was a bit tired and hungry from her journey so she walked an unpretentious–looking type of inn.

When she enter she was hit with a powerful small of good food which made her more hungry. Autumn who was cover complete or as much as she can by her red cloak walked up to the bar and asked the pony for something to eat after she finish and pay she went to the side and listen to the Piano music after a bit she use her magic and brought out a Ocarina and and started to play a song that goes along with the Piano.

Cloudchaser was always working. He had purposefully built hisin in such a way that he could cook, wash dishes, and still serve his patrons. The rusty red colt looked like he had sampled his cooking a few times to many. He was a large colt. Easily a head above most, and rather round. Seeing two new customers he smiled brightly. "Welcome! Come in! Pick a seat!" There were a few Crystal ponies and Zebras dotting the dining area.

Coming to Autumn, because ladies first of course Cloudchaser smiled and readily set a plate on the counter. He began putting food on it. By the look of her she was already tired. So he figured a simple meal was better. The colt left her plate with warm flat breads, a spiced oatmeal like dish, and some fruits that were not common to this part of Equestria.

Cloudchaser then moved to Earth Writer. "Well now you seek very interested. Care to glance at the menu? Or does the twitch in your ear have you drawn to our resident musician?" Cloudchaser leaned on the counter, glancing at the curtain. "He's very popular with the Zebra Folk. Give him a moment to set up and you will see what i mean. While you wait, would you like to sample some of the Crystal Empire's best Crystalberry jam and toast? Or does the sweet spice of the Southern Lands call to you?" That accent. It was varied. This pegasus colt was well traveled.

The sounds behinf the curtain changed. The piano kept playing, but it was joined by a soft wooden xylophone and what sounded like Zebra tribal drums. Then the voice. It was soft, melotic, and flowed like the music. Singing in zebra rhyme, but with more Equestrian twists to the music and meanings. The clop of hooves began as a few Zebras came to a floor set for dancing. They were actually dancing. The thick curtain that kept the performer hidden from view moved just a little as the pony behind it shifted position.

Behind the curtain itself was a set area about 10ftx10ft. It was dotted with instruments. The dominant was an old but well cared for piano. The type used in inns for ages. The colt playing all these instruments was a lean, gray coated colt. His silvery mane and tail were a tangled mess, making him appear to have permenant bed head. As well he was using a little magic to play the drums and xylophone without even looking. His hooves danced across the keys of the piano, drawing out notes that were sweet and lively.

They say to never trust a skinny chef, and if the converse was a sound deduction... Earth Writer was in good hooves!  Grinning, he practically bounded over to the table, notebook peeking out of his shirt pocket.  "In the words of an authorial acquaintance of mine... The Spice Must Flow!"  He chuckled, before dropping his voice to a more normal tone.  "The Southern Lands, if you please.  The music rather calls for it, don't you think?"

He sat back to watch the dancing, interested.  He had a strong interest in the arts, as his Canterlot circle of friends included many of all types.  The music seemed to be coming from behind the curtain, save for an impromptu accompaniment by another customer.  When Cloudchaser came around again, Earth tilted his head towards the curtain, inquiring, "Who's the musician, or musicians, if you've got a band back there?"

After something change on stage and with the change in music.Autumn change her music to something back home its a not many nowadays knows these ancient old songs that got lost to history and time.She started to play a one she prefer to call the Song of Time but not to its fullish because each of the songs have magical powers to them and each song contact a different power.  ((will be posting links for references and versions she plays as different ones have more and longer the other))

She played for quite a while drawing a crowd after which she put Ocarina and started to tell them tales of olden times of things that happen in the past that wasn't really in the history books but she try to keep to the more entertaining ones not to bore them.

Cloudchaser returned with two plates and a tall glass of mango juice. Setting the sweet and spicy foods. Each made of fruits, grases, breads and a strange cake that seemed to be a mox of fruit and vegitable of exotic kind. Now he came and set it before the customer.

The pegasus paused at the question of the musician. "Ah.. yes... hes... well its best just to Show you. Just swear on your life not to draw his attention." Motioning the colt to follow the inn keeper came to the back of the curtain. Pulling it aside a little he let the pony peek inside at the lean colt playing along.

The musician was wearing earcovers and blinders. Just to prevent any interference.after that peek the inn keeper let the curtain fall closed again. "I can tell you more tonight. Possibly introduce you. Tell no pony." The look on the pegasus was rather pleading.

Returning to his duties he began refilling cups and glasses. Servong more food. The colt behind the curtain continued on. Playing like it was his sole purpose in life.

Cloudchaser came to Autumn again. Leaning on the counter he listened to her stories. Enjoying them greatly as he nibbled on a few bites of cheese and bread. Absently reaching a wing over to hook a cup. Which he filled with water and drank.

(You'll have to forgive my slow pace; FFA RP's move faster than I do!)

It was like a faucet turned on behind Earth Writer's tongue; the unicorn had to make especial efforts not to actually drool on the table, once the wonderful smells hit him at ground zero, as it were.  Hopefully, the chef was experienced enough in the ways of eager customers to not be offended at the way that he dug in without ceremony.  After the first few bites of food, and a swig of mango juice, the reporter was much more conversational.

"Ah?  Alright, I'll be careful not to disturb him."  Little peeks into the lives of others, that was his job.  It was, of course, rude to stare, but the image was so striking that as a kind of automatic reaction, Earth levitated his notebook out to write it down.  Coming to himself, he ducked out quickly before the scratches of his pencil betrayed his position.

"Will he mind terribly if I write about him?"  He asked, mentally trying to come up with a better-sounding description of Thunderbuck's mane than 'mop-like.'  Putting that aside for a moment, he turned to the ocarina player, tipping his hat to her.  "Earth Writer, of the Canterlot Chronicle.  And you?"

There was a sweet scent like that of multi flowers or the smell of spring

Autumn turn to the pony that introduced himself as Earth Writer."I go by many names but you may call me Quartz Autumn Earth" said in a Angelic Voice

"I see you are so,e type of news reporter or a historian maybe" questioned Autumn

Then she procedure to put up her Ocarina with her magic and Make sure her cloak was covering her correctly so that her identity stay hidden

Cloudchaser was watching this mare. She was interesting. His attention was drawn away unfortunately. A zebra rhyme calling for more juice. For a hefty colt, Cloudchaser could still float along on hus wings. That at least allowed him to get over the crowd and past the dancers.

Serving his customers he paid close attention. It was almost time for the musician to get his lunch. And true enough as the music came to a gentle close, he head the rustle from behind the curtain. Then the faint twinkle of magic.

Returning to his bar he settled down and prepared something special. An old favorite from Cloudsdale. As he cooked, the soft sound of the conversation reached his ears. Gossip was part of his job. So he leaned in and listened. All the while he cooked. A few patrons came to the counter. They dropped bits before him to pay for their meals and left. Finally the colt had finished what was a simple meal. He took it up the stairs and was lost to sight soon enough.

ponies still lay bits on the counter and walked out. The sign over the door said "pay what you can afford. No more than you can."

A zebra came from a backroom. She saw the coins piling up and moved to place them in the register. Looking up she smiled at the conversation and small gathering around the cloaked mare. Returning to her duties the zebra had a certain skip in her step.

"Nice to meet you, Quartz!"  Earth placed his hat down on the table rather than continue to wear it in the warm lunchroom.  Levitating his plate of food over, he addressed the restoring of his tissues at a more moderate pace than before.

"Yep, I'm a reporter all right; one of the traveling journalists for my paper.  I aim to write about interesting places and ponies, and, well, this certainly counts!"  He laughed as he took another drink of mango juice.  "So, how about you?  What brings you here?"

The music died down in the background; both the player and the dancers were getting a break now, it seemed.

"Well that's nice bet you meet alot of interesting ponies” said autumn then earth laugh and took a drink.

"Well i am a traveler of sorts i go around playing songs on this" said Autumn bringing out her Ocarina with her leaf green magic "It is very special to me my mom given it to me before she die" she said putting it on to table so earth could see it better.

It was light blue in color and had 7 holes on top of it and had a symbol of a great tree around the mouth piece and the rest. "Anyway i travel around telling stories of the past, My Past, Life ,the truth things you wouldn't find in any books and i also play songs that is lost to history and time." said Autumn

(( http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/127/e/d/lego_ocarina_of_time_by_mingles-d3fttmz.jpg like this but a light blue and instead of the triforce its a tree))

Cloudchaser returned just in time to catch the name of the ocarina player. smiling he came over snd settled down. "Ocarina. Beautiful instrument. I only know one other pony to play one. they make wondeful music." he smiled as he just listened in. Hearing their conversation was enough to please him.

As the lunch rush cleared out Cloudchaser went to retrieve and wash the dishes. Handling the affair rather easily, he called to the zebra in the backroom. The zebra returned, a male. Speaking in the curious rhyme language, both held a swift conversation before the zebra headed up the stairs, a set of keys jingling from his many leg bracelets. He was lost to sight but the soft jingle kept filtering down. Soon enough the sounds of a violin filtered down. The notes were harsh. After a moment it stopped. The soft jingle returned as the zebra came back down. "Rooms two six and seven. Believe it or not nothing in room eleven. I think the sheets need changing. But the unicorn in room nine is behaving. Glad i am to see, his magical curiosity." Cloudchaser smiled. "Thank you Bagera. Take some time to eat and rest. Tonight at dinner shall be our test." The pegasus it seemed could speak as the zebra did. With perfect accent too.

Returning to the dishes, the weighty colt hummed to himself as he swished his braided tail and swayed with the song. It was a simple song most foals could sing. But it was happy and light.

"Stories of the past..."  Journalists were always chasing the present, a futile task, as the present always faded into the past at every instant.  No amount of machines could change that, and every newspaper was a historical artifact from the day that it hit the front porch.

So, techinically, both Earth and Quartz did the same thing.  Not that he felt inclined to spell out this line of reasoning.  Instead, he noted the goings on in the inn in shorthand, to give local color to the article he would write later about this place, and kept talking to Quartz.  "Hope you don't mind if I share a few of those stories in my own way.  There's always a spot for anything interesting, never mind how recent it is.

Nodding as Cloudchaser came over to them again, he added, "Always good to see continuity with a pony's history.  Say, that other ocarina player, was he...?"  And the unicorn jerked his head back towards the curtain, indicating the pony behind.

Autumn just watch the going on from under her hood

the earth said  "Hope you don't mind if I share a few of those stories in my own way.  There's always a spot for anything interesting, never mind how recent it is.

"no telling stories is what i do. tell them how you want there are pieces of equestria's past so its open to anypony who would lean a ear to heard are you certain that you don't care about the time i could tell you something from long ago i am much older then i appear mind you if i let you see me.I have seen the rise and fall among other things in my life" said Autumn

Cloudchaser nodded to Earth Writer's question. But kept humming to himself. He could hear the conversation easily and kept one ear toward it.

After a bit the twinkle of magic sounded from behind the curtain. Almost all the ponies had left. The cloaked mare, the journalist. They seemed the only ones left aside from the regulars.

Figuatively, Cloudchaser weighed enough for two ponies. He came around the counter and shut the open door. Tossing the closed sign up he threw the bolt. He walked to the Curtain. Slipping his head inside, he held a hushed conversation. After a moment he came to the pair. "Ok. Hes agreed to meet you both. But dont expect much in the way of conversation. Hes not very talkative with ponies he doesnt know."

Moving to the curtain, Cloudchaser slowly drew it back. A few assorted instruments sat on makeshift stands. Most looked like they had been put back together. In the middle of it all sat colt. His silvery mane tangled and looking as if it had been sts tically charged. His tail much the same. With slow, cautious steps he stepped closer. A pale blue and white glow surrounding his horn. He levitated a violin beside him.

Earth Writer was about to acquiesce to Quartz's offer, when Cloudchaser informed him that the mysterious piano player had agreed to meet them.  He looked momentarily torn, before saying to the mare, "Mind if we do that later?  I'd hate to waste this opportunity."

Trotting carefully, the reporter emerged back into the room behind the curtain, noting the surroundings.  They gave him the impression of a caddisfly casing; bits and pieces gathered around a small and vulnerable being, fit perfectly to it's shape.  This was the reflection of a soul bound in music, and not used to being out of its shell.

The unicorn tipped his hat, but forewent his usual introduction.  "Would you mind playing your favorite on the violin?  I don't want to impose, but music is sometimes better than speech."  This might be the closest he got to an interview; but a dialogue consisting of questions and musical answers would make for a pretty good article!

Earth Writer was about the accept when the bar keeper pony informed them about the mysterious piano player say they could meet them then Earth asked if they can do it later "sure i don't mind" said Autumn

Autumn followed Earth they were instruments  and other thing like it back behind the curtain. Autumn just watched as they talked

The colt nodded softly. Sitting down he raised his violin. His other hoof came up. As he drew the bow across the strings it hummed softly. His motions slower as be took the time to draw out each opening note.

The colt hummed gently as he played. The tone shifting to a more jovial Cloudsdale favorite. He didnt even notice that his magic had taken hold of the nearby saxophone. It began to play as the energy caressed the mouthpiece with a gentle breeze.

The notes came from the sax so softly. And then a soft drumbeat joined. It chimed out with the violin, compensating for the slight off key notes. The song was short. as it came to a close, the colt lowered his violin and his magic released the other instruments gently. the few customers left for their rooms. They knew what it was that was coming. They knew buck would try to socialize. Until now, it had usually been poor results at best.

"The...m.m.m.music speaks...yes?" The soft voice was fractured. Fearful of reprise and repremand. Cloudchaser slowly put a wing on the colt. "They wont harm you. They are only curious. The nice mare here was playing another instrument. An Ocarina. Did you hear it?" The colt nodded. Cloudchaser smiled. "Thunderbuck. I found him in the street. He was wandering around dragging a cart of broken musical instruments. He was half starved. Couldnt talk to anyone. I barely got more than two words from him.... hes gentle. Couldnt ask for a better friend. And... well honestly hes been like a foal to Me.

It was always good when Earth Writer found the correct approach to a pony; he sometimes found himself committing major faux pas, one of recent memory being embarrassing a librarian in front of Princess Celestia by a careless reference to a lost magical book.  That hadn't made anypony look good.

Well, lessons learned.  Thunderbuck was allowed to show his best side to the pair, and whenever you give anypony the opportunity to do that, they are much more willing to open up.

And what a performance!  Not a musical pony himself, Earth knew enough to respect any who could play an instrument well.  But two at once!  And then the drums!  The reporter burst into applause when it was finished.

"Brava, Brava regatza!"  The old Itailian theatrical cry sprang from his lips as the notebook sprang into action.  "It speaks alright, in chorus!  That was amazing."  The pencil danced, noting the details of the performance, and the meeting of Thunder and Cloudchaser.  "Are you a self-taught musician?  Or have you learned while you were here?"  Saraneivo was a city of artists and musicians; it wasn't unheard of for mediocre ponies to go in to learn, and come out skilled and competent.  Also, poor; supply and demand were kind of out of whack here.

"Is it normal for a colt to have that much magic?" asked Autumn as she turn her head to the side sightly as you can see but the hood turning

After a bit

"​how did he get into a state like that" asked Autumn wanting to learn more about him

Thunderbuck shook his head softly. Looking away he set the violin softly down. He looked at them. He wanted to say so much. But his mouth only quivered softly. The colt sat and looked down. "I.... lived...b..b..b.b.by Cloudsdale. M..my parents..." he covered his face as his Ears fell. The pegasus spoke up. "Thats about as much as he told me. "I dont know how though.. there are no towns that a unicorn could live in that close to Cloudsdale. Its not that i dont believe him. But it doesnt make sense..." "no..." the gray colt said softly. "N..not town.... house..." he rubbed one leg with a hoof slowly.

"Mom...taught me." he looked at Autumn and stuttered. "M..magic. only works.... on... music." Cloudchaser rubbed his chin. "Other than levitation and the occasional teleport spell... i really havent seem him use magic." Buck's horn glowed. He strained. Concentrating hard. The piano moved two inches before his concentration broke. The glow left his horn. He panted softly, already sweating.

Cloudchaser was beside him immediately and flapping a wing to cool the colt. "Cloud and sky thunderbuck!... dont strain yourself." Buck nodded. "Magic... weak." He said softly.

Cloudchaser sighed. "Not weak. You just need training. Ive seen you throw lightning before... just need practice." Thunderbuck nodded softly. He levitated a small old clairenet. gaining his breath back he gently brought it to his lips. As he began to play, the soft notes filtered down slowly through the instrument. Surprisingly they were even and calm. But the tune was sad, and slow. As buck played, Cloudchaser moved to the stand. Looking over the old instruments he had a face on him. Pained, like how a parent gets when their child suffers. Cloudchaser knew nothing about instruments, but he knew what a broekn one looked like.

As buck stopped playing, he looked at the mare in her cloak. "Music..... is magic." He said softly. The first clear sentence he had said without a studder. he looked at where she had put her Ocarina. His eyes were not Mean or hard. They were soft, curious. "You play...too?" He said softly.

Dexterity and strength came with practice.  Also, shorthand.  Earth's pencil was moving with it's own virtuosity, as it is by no means an easy feat to write legibly without once looking at what you're writing.  By now, the reporter had a decent sketch of Buck, both from what he said and how he said it.

*Isolated upbringing near Cloudsdale; parents in weather service, perhaps?  Magic specialized to talent, which is usual.  Left on his own, doesn't talk about it.  Bad parting, or parents dead?  Delicate question, that.*  Hopefully the editor wouldn't mind leaving it out.  

As the first unbroken sentence from the stallion was spoken to Quartz, the journalist backed off a step, letting the two of them talk.  It would be interesting to see what they would make of each other.

Autumn turn more to look at Buck what he could see under her hood was darkness and where her eyes should be are two glowing green orbs and she smile not that you could see it.

"Yes it is a powerful forgotten magic. even with all these musical ponies in this town i don't think none of them can use the magic of music none expect for you thunderbuck maybe and yes i do play." said Autumn turning to the table she left her Ocarina on then using her leaf green magic to grab it and bring it to her.

After she got it back she started to play a more upbeat happy tune After she finish she put it back inside her cloak.

"I can also see it in you eyes thunder that you did lose you parents, No matter what happens know that they will always love you and they will always be in here" said Autumn then summoning a magical leaf and put it where his heart is after a bit she move it away and just let it hang in the air

After a moment "If it is OK i could properly teach his some magic" said Autumn

It was at her words that Buck's ears seemed to stand up a little, and he smiled some. Cloudchaser smirked. "Well I'll be. He can smile. Aint seen him smile once since i brought him here. I think some training would be a good start. And if you are willing i can set you up with room and food for free in exchange." Buck smiled brighter. Looking at Earth Writer he spoke softly. "You....want to know.. more about me?" His speech was still hard, but he seemed more open now.

He looked toward the piano. "Paper." He said. On the music stand by the piano was not musical sheets or even notes. It was an old newpaper clipping. It was fadded, kept in a small frame. The title of the article was short and not in bold lettering. "Known researchers welcome new foal." the article detailed the couple, known as Windstrider and Sea Breeze as an older married couple. They welcomed the birth of their second son, Named Thunderbuck. Their related works were best known as detailing over control of the weather and how weather patterns effect crops in various areas. It was at the bottom of the clipping one could see the paper it came from. The daily cloudsdale paper. The date was faded and page number was torn off.

Buck levitated it over to Earth, allowing him to see the small photo beside the article. "Parents...." he whispered. The last line of the article mentioned an older, fully grown son living in canterlot, but no name. Cloudchaser looked it over from the side. "Hey... is there a house in the background? Or the author's name beside the article? Maybe we can figure out where he came from. Or if he has other family."

At That buck lowered her ears. "No...family. looked. No find." He turned away and moved to the instruments. Looking between them. His tail, an utter tangled mess that would make any stylist ot barber yank out their own by the root, dusted the floor As he swished it in aggitation. Pushing some of his mane out of his eyes he rubbed at them. Cloudchaser noticed, and sighed. "Everytime i open my fat gab about his past he clams up. You two got more out of him in the last half hour than i got in the last year....even the twins that work for me barely get more than a hello out of him on a good day."

Autumn turned to cloudchaser

"Yea that would be find i could teach him some simple stuff but for my more advance spells and the magic of music we would need to go to my home" said Autumn

After some thinking

"i also know a spell that would let you temporary talk to the dead" said Autumn 

Archived