A Saraneivo Seranade (Thunderbuck, storm, 1 Slot Open!)

Blueblood

Earth Writer had nodded eagerly when Buck asked if they wanted to know more about him.  When passed the article, the reporter gave it the expert's once-over.  He'd actually grown up in the Heartland himself, so he could recognize some of the larger features in the background.  Still, placing the location exactly would be difficult, and if he was reading the situation correctly, there wouldn't be much to find there anymore.

"I also know a spell that would let you temporarily talk to the dead."

Well, now, that was a sentence you couldn't just ignore.  The smoothly dancing pencil leaped out of the journalist's magical grip, sailing over to the keyboard and picking out a c-sharp before the unicorn retrieved it.  "Uh... OK.... um..."  Was that even legal?  On the other hand, it would make a whole 'nother story altogether, though possibly not for the Chronicle.  Some lower-brow tabloid rag, short on balderdash for the week.  You could always count on them to publish inconvenient or outlandish truths.

Earth flipped to another page in his notebook.  "When did you learn how to do that sort of thing, Quartz?"

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buck scrambled away suddenly at the sound of such a starting note. Cloudchaser made to go after him but the colt just warped out of existance, leaving thr hefty pegasus to float in air and stare at nothing but the wall. "Um..." two zebras came out suddenly from the back room. they were identical, down to their aprons. Save for gender. They looked around aggressively, expecting to see a fight. When none was seen they looked confused.

Cloudchaser settled down. "I think that was a definate no... magic training is ok. But... summoning the dead? Even zebra mystics wont do that without a reason thats dire."

Cloudchaser went behind the bar and got himself a glass of water. Then he motioned to the zebras. "My employees. Twins. Came here to see the art of Equestria. But not a bit between them. Cant let young ponies wander like that and go hungry. Took them in and taught them the inn trade. Bagera is the male. Hes very skilled in the kitchen. His sister Gabera is a talented sketch artist. Between them, we keep this inn running fine."

The pegasus sighed. "LoOk. Both of you. Before we go and try to teach buck anything... we need to understand him better. Hes very secrstive. Even i cant get much out of him."

Autumn got startled by the sudden C-sharp sound as you can tell as she jump a little and lifted one hoof to run but after realizing what it was she put her hoof back on the ground. Then Earth asked her a question after that

"When did you learn how to do that sort of thing, Quartz?" asked Earth

Autumn turned her attention to him "Well if you recall I said I am a lot older then I look and I am nowadays this type of magic could be illegal or at the very least be under dark magic. Because these type spells take a lot out of a pony and if you’re not sure you can do it you can accidentally get an evil ghost or demon instead of a dead family member. Back in the day this types of spells was more common because ponies could do them correctly. But when Princess Celestia and Princess Luna became Princesses they slowly put a stop to it and put it under the label dark magic even thought its not. This type of spell I wouldn't go around telling ponies and teaching them because if not supervise and done correctly it will end badly" said Autumn to Earth

((Hey I have to ask how do you guys think I am doing at typing?))

It was really hard for Earth Writer to blame Thunderbuck for bailing after that little bombshell was dropped.  The unicorn vaguely remembered his own mother warning him to do the same whenever somepony brought out dark magic, or even mentioned using it.  But he wasn't a little colt anymore, no ma'am!  He was Earth Writer, intrepid globe-trotting reporter!  It would cost him all his self-respect, not to mention a very interesting story, if he backed down now!

"I suppose it would be unforgivably rude to ask you your exact age," He commented wryly as Quartz explained herself, "But being contemporary with the founding of the Duarchy gives a ballpark.  The millennia have been kind to you, I must say."  He sighed, rubbing the bridge of his muzzle as he turned to Cloudchaser.  "You're right, of course; I only hope we didn't just undo all this afternoon's work."

He put his notebook away.  At the end of the day, another pony's peace of mind outweighed his own needs, at least when those needs weren't dire, and the Buck had put up with enough, Earth felt.  "Would he answer if I knocked on his door?"

"Maybe. Hes got the only key to his room. prevents anypony sneaking a peek. Fair warning... hes probably not cleaned up this week. Gabera.. show Earth to Buck's room. Bagera, take Autum up to an empty room please. I need to get this place ready for the dinner rush." The zebras nodded and went to their assigned ponies.

The one with Autumn smiled. "Pleasure to meet you. I hope you feel this is true." he jingles like bells with all of his bracelets and earrings. His sister was more reserved about how many pieces of jewelry she wore.

She motioned earth to follow her up the stairs. The first flight went past the guest rooms, the second flight went past the staff rooms. And finally they came to a small narrow set of stairs leading to a trap door in the ceiling. She stood aside to let Earth Writer try And speak to the colt.

"i didn't mean anything to upset anypony i was just saying that there is a way to find out what happened to them and for him if he wanted to find out more about his past.Yes you would be around the right point to guess around there" said Autumn

Cloudchaser induce the two zebras and told them to take  both Autumn and Earth to different places.Beagera takes Autumn to her room while Gabera takes Earth to Buck's room.Before she and Beagera left "come and get me when he is ready for some training and i will only teach him that if he was to learn it" said Autumn Then they left and Bagera said " "Pleasure to meet you. I hope you feel this is true."

"yes it is good to meet another Zebra.I live near a zebra but i have not talked to her yet. Do you know any of you people legends about the Timber Ponies it might be before your time" said and asked Autumn

"I know you probably don't mean any harm,"  Earth remarked as the pair of zebra siblings showed them upstairs.  "But that sort of thing generally requires tact in new company, you know?"  It said something about the sort of life the reporter led that he was able to refer to Dark Magic casually as 'that sort of thing.' Tipping his hat once again as they parted, the unicorn turned his attention to the zebra beside him.

"Sketch artist, eh?  I can see why a cook would be valuable for an inn, but I'm curious as to how you fit your own talent into your work.  Do guests get a pencil-portrait as part of their room and board?"  He'd heard of hotels offering similar service, and to be honest, it would have fit right in here, given the city they were in.

Trotting up to Buck's room, he gave a quick shave-and-a-manecut knock, to see if the stallion was ready to talk.

The door clicked softly and soon glowed with magic as it swun gopen an inch. Inside was dark save for the light of a single candle. The stairs up were short. Inside was a large space that could hace passed for a museum of deralict instruments. The walls and floor were littered with newspaper clipings of ponies of great musical talent and hastily scralled musical notes and compositions.

Buck sat at a desk, quietly working on what looked like a piano piece mixed with a flute and tribal drums. Beside him a candle burned softly. He didnt look up. Seeming more at home he spoke, "I..will speak...now." gabera smiled and from her saddle bags produced a sketch pad and began drawing. "I create all the art on the walls. Much as a vendor crafts the items in their stalls." she said.

Bagera smiled at Autumn. "Once upon a time. My mother sang of them in a lullaby. I had a feeling you were different. If you are a Timber pony as you meant. Their songs were legend. Full of magic, the world it could bend."

"​yes i am one of them the last one since the incident, Timber ponies are more in tune with magic them other races that's why we can do some things others can't.If you have some time i could tell you more and maybe we could just talk about something i am a storyteller after all" said Autumn following Bagera 

A great deal of fun had been made of the phrase "organized chaos" over the years.  Earth Writer himself had joined in the mockery, until the day he witnessed how a newspaper was actually printed for the first time.  In no other place in Equestria did you get so many hair's breadth escapes and frantic last-minute decisions, all the while being anxious that this morning's issue might come out upside-down, or Princess Celestia congratulated on discovering the North Pole.

Point being that Earth was hardly in a position to criticize any messiness that Thunderbuck felt necessary for his own work.  Gingerly trying not to step through a cello case, the unicorn reporter sat in one of the few blank spots on the floor.  "So, you do a lot of refurbishing work, I see.  On commission, or just for your own, personal use?"  Honestly, the journalist would have a hard time believing that Buck could use all these instruments.  The stallion had talent, sure, but most musicians that Earth met preferred to play one instrument really well, well enough so that they could play whatever they heard in their head, rather than just well enough on many to not quite be able to.

Buck spoke softly. "I.. repair. All broken. No music. I make happy. Make music again." Gabera paused from her sketch. She kept quiet as she watched. Buck moved to a cello that was on a stand. It had no strings. No bow. And the neck had a large piece seemingly bitten out.

The colt was quiet as he touched it gently with a hoof. Levitating a small wooden block over he magically shaved off a section at a time. Silently working until he had a very good match to the missing neck piece.

He levitated some wood glue over and glued the piece in. Using magic to tie a small cord of twine to hild the piece in place he looked at Earth. "I fixe them. They make happy music." Gabera continued her sketching quietly.

Buck then came and sat before Earth. "Im... alone. No pony sees. Never have before. I...." he grew quiet a moment before he looked aside. "Never speak to others. Im frightened. And tired."

Bagera smiled. "I attend the rooms and meals. Once the front door is sealed. I shall return to hear more. Of your ancient and mystic lore. Dinner must be served quite soon. For it is already late afternoon. But your tales i would love to hear. Hearing stories always beings me cheer."

Watching Buck at work was a real privilege; and Earth Writer made a note to spend extra time polishing his prose when describing the stallion's process of instrument repair.  *He speaks as if they feel emotion.  I've seen  other musicians equinimorphize their instruments... any connection to shamanistic beliefs of zebras?*  Worth following up for later, he made another note.

He nodded in sympathy as Thunderbuck described how he had trouble speaking to other ponies.  "I know; I had a lot trouble myself with that when I was younger.  You wouldn't think it, looking at what I do for a living now, eh?"  He laughed.  "It helps that I usually listen more than talk, to begin with.  It helps bring out other ponies, if you're willing to, and once they've stopped talking, they'll usually extend you the same courtesy.  I'll bet you could talk about music to anypony willing to listen, right?"

Buck shook his head softly. Slowly he stood and moved through the various instruments. He finally came to one. A foal's piano. The instrument itself was in amazingly good condition. Figuratively, it was thd most valuable thing Buck owned. "Many... would not understand." he touched the keys. Pure sweet notes left the piano.

He played slowly at first. Soon enough it seemed he had no conscious idea that other instruments were being played. His magic took hold of others. Playing them as well. Picking up speed and volume. It was like sitting dead center in an orchestra recital.

Gabera was used to it happening from time to time. She watched and smiled. As the crescendo approached, buck was sweating heavily. He wasnt singing butnhe played furiously. The various instruments all sounding off. And finally it ended. The colt panted heavily. Gabera was awed. She had never seen that before. Buck lay on thd floor for a moment before speaking. "Music.... is alive. It breathes. It lives. it dies. And lives again. Each song. A lifetime. A memory. Cherished or spurned."

Gabera's pencil clattered to the floor. It rolled away as she just stared. "He.... i..." she just stammered. No words left. Buck slowly sat up. "Me. I exist. Because it breathes."

Bagera smiled and chuckled. "Of course my lady." leading her to a spacious room, the zebra smiled and held up his hoof. the room was nice. Containing a bed and dresser, as well as a large window that had thick curtains. It was decorated with a few potted ferns that looked very healthy. The bed itself seemed to be made of clouds packed into a mattress. "Our best room."

Autumn walked into the room after Bagera open the door and looked around as she did her gaze stopped on each of the ferns after looking at them for a bit she continue to look over the room after she was done looking over the room. She walked up to each of the ferns and took a hoof out to touch them from what Bagera could see of her hoof was that it was made of wood or timber with was seem like a small branch sticking out of her hoof after she touch each of them she give a sad sigh then she return next to Bagera.

Well!  That was....

"Existential."  Earth Writer murmured, after a long pause to find the right word.  "I suppose most wouldn't understand that, but... I happen to know a lot of the few who would.  I can direct them to visit, if you don't mind opening up a bit to them."  It was true; most of his social circle back in Canterlot were the Bohemian sort, artists and revelers in the meaning of such things.  Quite a lively bunch, though, so he'd have to be careful in directing them here.  They were a hoof-ful to take in at once, the Canterlot Bohemians.

Bagera noticed Autumn's sadness and spoke softly. "Is something a miss?" he took his work very seriously and anyone that was displeased got to speak to him personally.

Buck nodded. "If they can understand." he slowly got himself into a sitting position. Looking at Earth he spoke. "Words live too?" He asked suddenly. More or less, he saw Earth writing, and pondered if the way he thought and felt music passed through Earth as he was writing articles for thr paper. Besides, buck could tap his hoof to the rhythm of the pencil on paper. To him it was also music.

"oh it is nothing seriously wrong with the room i would feel it be better to tell later after you seal the door and dinner when we have more time so i can explain it and you can invite the others to come if you would like then" said Autumn

The reporter was actually beginning to put his notebook away when Buck returned his own question.  He had to pause before answering, as he'd never tried to categorize his thoughts on the subject before.  He'd made a lot of offhand remarks, of course, on the art and philosophy of journalism, but not to anypony likely to take them as seriously as Thunderbuck would.

"Words... convey life, but I don't know if they are alive.  Most words that ponies use everyday are dead words to the speaker, but can come to life when the recipient gives them thought and care.  The opposite also happens, unfortunately.  It's not a perfect metaphor; I think 'magic' is a better word than life."  Earth shrugged.  "I could discuss it all night, with words of varying liveliness, without coming to a conclusion.  Most of my work is not meant to be long-lived, and when it is, it frequently defies parental wishes."  A slight smirk crossed his features at that.  Stories that got out of control were just one of the things his profession had to deal with.

Bagera smiled and nodded. He closed the door on his way out. As he headed for the kitchens he pondered just what to make of it all.

Buck took a moment to gsther his words. After a moment he spoke. "What... is your dream?" Gabera picked up her pencil continuing her sketch as she took the time to process what buck had just shown. Yes it wore him completely out. It would take hours to replinish his magical reserves. But then, she never knew he could do that. At least four or five instruments. It was incedible.

"My dream?"  That question made Earth smile.  "My dream was to travel the world, writing back home about all the awesome things, places, and ponies I saw... and I'm living it right now!"  The unicorn spread his hooves and laughed.  "Look at this; I step outside my front door and go to a city of art and music, and find the living soul of the latter!  Amazing, isn't it?"  He got up to take his leave, winking at Buck.  "If you go and actually try, you'll find more ponies willing to help that those that'll stop you."

And with that, he trotted out to meet Quartz at the common room.

Buck smiled as Earth left. Gabera followed him out. She was astounded. "How did you get him to speak so? And without using a tone so low?" she was astonished. For somepony to get buck to talk almost freely was unheard of.

In the main room Cloudchaser was preparing a large batch of bread to accompany the evening meal. He was quietly humming to himself. The curtain around buck's music stand was closed again. The inn owner looked up as Autumn arrived. "Hello dear. Is there any particular foods you would like? I can fix most anything. And we just got in a shipment from an Apple Orchard in Ponyville. Supposed to be the best in their part of Equestria from what i heard."

Bagera returned to the kitches, and began cooking. While most of it eent on behind the doors, Cloudchaser put together every dish personally. Right where the customer could see. He could hear the others coming back down now as well.

"We call it the tradecraft."  Earth Writer replied to the zebra sister as they made their amiable departure from the musician.  "I've always been pretty good at getting others to talk to me; I guess the big secret is that I don't really find anything boring.  If you make it clear you're interested in what ponies have to say... well, there's really no reason for them not to say it, now is there?"  He grinned, trotting down the stairs in quick rhythm.

"Surprise me!"  He called out to Cloudchaser, clearly in a good mood.  Planting himself across from Autumn, he drew out his notebook to review what he wrote.

"All in all, it went very well!  I think the story will make an excellent slice of life piece, and might help Thunderbuck to meet some new friends!  Or, at least, musicians who will understand him.  Now..."  He drew out a pencil, along with an expectant look.  "I believe you promised us some stories, miss Quartz?"

Archived