A Saraneivo Seranade (Thunderbuck, storm, 1 Slot Open!)

Blueblood

Cloudchaser grinned, almkst devilishly so. He loved the challenge of chef surprise type meals. The twins went back to work. After Cloudchaser started a few pots to boil he unlocked the front door snd flung it open.

Soon the place was filling with the sweet and spicy scents of fruits, nuts, creams, and dishes that were usually only served in far off lands. The colt was often seen taking a taste here or there. He almost danced as he worked. The soft clop of his hooves on the wooden floor as he skipped about behind the counter and hummed.

Regulars began filing in a few at a time. Then an older Zebra couple entered. Cloudchaser looked up and came around. He helped them to a table and got them their drinks. listening to them a moment he smiled. He gave them a bow with as much grace as his rotund size would allow.

Moving back behind the counter he began fixing something else. Calling out in rapid zebra rhyme like an auctioneer into the back kitchen. The replies came back just as fast as the colt's hooves danced over his pots and skillets.

It was during this time that the soft twinkle of magic was lost in the sounds of conversation snd cooking. But buck poked his hoof out and waved at Cloudchaser to let him know he had arrived.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earth Writer sat back and just let the sights and smells of an artist at work wash over him.  From what the reporter could tell, it was going to be something sweet this time.  Well, fair enough.  He caught Tunderbuck's wave, and returned a 'good luck' gesture before turning back to Quartz.

"If you're worried about eavesdropping, here's a tip: there are no conversation that attract spies more than those that will only happen behind closed doors.  If you don't look like you're hiding, nopony hunts you out."  The unicorn winked at her and tapped his pencil.  "And, given that any stories I write down will be in front of 120,000 breakfast tables when the edition comes to print, it's kind of silly to be so coy about it, you know?"

As Cloudchaser began serving the evening meal, there was a distinct lack of music. But the sounds of instruments being moved around behind the curtain could he heard. Apparently buck wasnt ready.

As Cloudchaser took several playes out her heard the first tinge of piano note. Then the conversations began to die down as the lights dimmed themselves. Cloudchaser looked up as he heard the music begin. And then something uncommon. Singing.

It sounded nothing like buck's voice. This was clear, sweet and very confident. It was singing happily along with the music. But the guests all seemed to enjoy it. Cloudchaser could hear several chatting softly about the good music that always went with the good food.

leaving it be Cloudchaser decided that it was enough to let things be for now. He continued to make plates and carry the food out to tables. Finally he came to Earth and Autumn. setting befoee them both heavy plates filled with rich salads and fruits. As well he brought whay smelt like fruit juice and milk blended into a sort of creamy drink. "What has gotten into buck? Hes never sang before." The colt said so only thry could hear.

((Little idea here of the stuff buck plays. he is singing this while playing)) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B3kFPBtc9BE

"that my be ture but there are some things i need to show you and cloudchaser and i don't really want a chance to cause a freak-out or whatever might happen" said Autumn.

Then a song started first a piano then a few other instruments and finally singing Cloud was making food and getting them to customers, went he asked a question. "What has gotten into buck? Hes never sang before." The colt said so only thry could hear. "I don't know Cloud but i was wondering if you would have a problem with me giving a song to buck to play if he's willing to and me singing" asked Autumn

The reporter could only shrug.  "If you think it necessary.  I suppose I may not be the best judge of what would cause a freak-out, given that I've seen enough freaky stuff to get used to it, for the most part.  Comes with the job, you know."  It was about here that Cloudchaser started bringing out his plates of condensed deliciousness.  One day, perhaps, Earth Writer would manage to receive such bounty with delicate means of eating.  Today was not that day.  Forgoing cutlery, he dove in headfirst and came up chewing.

As he ate, he could hear Buck start up his performance... and sing!  The unicorn grinned from ear to ear when he heard it.  "Well, Cloud, he now knows for certain that at least one pony wants to hear him.  Here's to that!"  And he raised his drink in a toast to the curtained Thunderbuck.

Cloudchaser nodded. "Aye. Its good to see him enjoying himself. I must say i am impressed. Someone may have finally gotten through to him." He winked at them and then smiled at Autumn. "My dear i would enjoy it. If he's willing then please feel free. He knows more about music than i ever knew existed. So if you think he can. Feel free to ask him when he's got a moment between songs."

As the first song began to close, the hefty colt returned to his duties. There was a pause between songs and then the music started again. This time more up beat. And certainly more tribal. And an odd noise. An instrument very few knew. But the zebra folk cheered at hearing it. A low droning sound that seemed to fill the room and blend into softer tones under the tribal drums and chimes.

"Well, miss Autumn Quartz,"  Earth Writer drew out his words as a slight touch of the sardonic entered his diction, "You certainly do have a way of building up anticipation".  He passed it off with a laugh immediately after, though.  "Of course, it wouldn't do to take the stage from the colt now that he's gotten the confidence to own it, to some degree."

The second song ended to great applause from the zebras.  Earth winked at the mare across from him.  "That's your cue, kid; break a leg."  Did theatrical superstitions apply to musical performers?  It did in musicals, but that might not be the same as straight-up concerts

((i think this one time i will go before buck so i can asked him and since he's off anyway sorry for breaking order))

"ok thanks" said Autumn ignoring his previous comment

Autumn walks to the stage and makes her way to thunderbuck behind the curtain "Pardon me thunder but i was wondering if you wouldn't mind playing a song that i could sing to i have a sheet music for it" said Autumn.

((No worries))

Buck was a little startled when someone opened his curtain. But seeing Autumn he calmed some. Then he lifted his ear phones. The large kind that blocked out sound. Looking at the music, he took it slowly. Looking over it he looked up. The blinders he wore kept him looking forward. "Do you want...a..certain instrument?" he motioned to several instruments around him.

Cloudchaser was watching the curtain and listening to the conversation. So far so good. Buck was responding to her with words and not bolting away. He was also quietly offering to let her select which instrument he would use.

Earth gave a wave and a good luck gesture to Autumn as well when she departed for the stage.  There wasn't much for him to do at this point, so he just sat back with his notebook open, occasionally taking a bite.  *Alright, let's see what you got for the folks at home.*

"Well there are quite a few in it let's see if i remember correctly they are Autumn tells him" said Autumn

((sorry i listen to the song multi time but can't reconze the instruments in the song it is the my neighbor totoro theme song if you know it ))

(Im familiar with it)

Buck nodded and set the music on his piano. His magic twinkled as he spoke. "I play... when you ready.." he said softly. The colt began preparing himself.

Cloudchaser was most interested. He wondered just what Autumn was up to. He trusted she wouldnt do anything to hurt buck. After all why would she? And what pony would in this town? Buck was a simple musician that loved to play.

Looking to where Earth was seated, the pegasus began to wonder. Somepony would have had to know buck before he went wandering. His parents were researchers. They had had their picture in the paper. Certainly somepony knew of them and knew their son had left home after they died.

"ok i am going to say something after which you start playing and i will sing at the right time." said Autumn

Autumn goes onto the other side of the curtain so the ponies could see her "hello attention everypony!" after the ponies turn to her maybe not all "I am going to sing a song from my homeland. It is kinda a legend from where i am from." said Autumn

Her singing  is beautiful.

Buck waited until it was time. His hooves hovered over thr violin quietly. Closing his eyes he took the moment to breathe in slowly. And then he began. Each note, each sweet note was coaxed out with care. And not just thd violin, but several others.

The colt had his ears covered and his blinders on. All that mattered was the music. Not the sound, but the feeling of it. How it trembled in his chest and made him feel inside.

Shorthand is ill-adapted to music, which meant that Earth Writer had to write out most of his musings fully.  *A foal's story, it would seem.  Never heard of it myself, but familiar all the same.  Commonality between cultures?  Reference to actual events?*  This was Equestria, after all.  Legends were rarely just legends.

In any case, not bad copy.  The song had certainly made the unicorn smile; memory laced with nostalgia, but not regret.  He had no qualms about leading the applause.  

Once the song finished buck set back and took a moment to catch his breath. He hadnt played like that in a long time. So it oft left him with a weakened body when he did.

He saw Bagera slip inside the curtain and leave him a pitcher of water. Buck gladly took a drink. Looking over his music nites for what to play next. He wasnt sure if he should move to a more classical or..... flipping a few pages over he began to get an idea.

The colt had always been facinated with tribal music and oft looked to zebra music or even the buffalo tribes of the desert to understand and feel more. He had heard one pony make a song once that was mixed traditional and modern instruments. He looked to the corner. He had a keyboard, but no power source. His idea began to take futher shape as he looked toward his drum set. He had the tribal drums. But also a full drum set. His eyes went to his string instruments. A violin that was nust about worn out. And a guitar.... the song he wanted to play he already knew. He could do it. But many of these instruments would never function again. They were on their last legs and his tip jar was still mostly empty. Even with his wages.... hed only be able to afford broken or worn down ones to replace them.

But... nothing ventured. Nothing gained. His father's old quote. He moved his instruments around. Coming to the keyboard he looked at it. He mostly used it as a note stand. Because the power cord was torn at the end. Picking it up hebit down until the cord end split apart. Then he levitated it. He had seen moments before from afar. He went to a concert once and the DJ was amazing. He envied her for having access to the equipment she had.

The Colt used his magic to attach the power cord end to his horn. He knew one spell that would work. He had to concentrate a little. But it began to work. At first the keyboard sputtered and made a static noise. Then finally he got it stabilized. Lightening, though such a small level spell it could barely power his instrument. Giving it a little more effort he got the instrument to a quiet hum.

Satisfied he relaxed his Body. At first no pony that was a regular seemed to notice. The musician pony behind the curtain had been known to make the odd noise now and again when getting his equipment ready. What followed next startled everypony. Both because of its intensity, but because it was not the usual. The sounds were loud but even. The tone true to music. But this was not the same musician. It couldnt be. This playing was... it was actuaactuly vibrating the tables and walls. And it seemed to include instruments he had never used before. As startling as it was, it also made everyone move. As if certain ponies were compelled to join in and dance.

Not just tribal drums, but a full drum set. keyboard operated to produce several tones the singer couldnt on their own. such as the sounds of dozens of hooves dancing. The guitar and violin were being coaxed along magically. Straining them to a new level of music and speed.

Cloudchaser was stunned as he watched the curtain. Several crystal and zebra ponies were up dancing. Nothing new there. But the music... this was a breakneck pace for Buck. And so....loud. buck was a timid colt. Where the hell had he gotten the nerve to play like this?

And what no pony noticed was that above the floor, where the curtain was fastened, the hooks bwgan to shiver. Sawdust fell a little ata time as the vibrations began to wiggle the fasteners of thd old heavy curtain loose. And it wasnt long before that curtain came tumbling down. It fell away from buck, and he was so focused he didnt even see it. His hooves dancing over the keyboard and his tal thrashing between the tribal drums. His magic handling the rest. The sweaty, haphazard look. This wild mane and tail. Ear covers and blinders. And a ragged cutie mark on his flank. buck kept playing. Oblivious to being exposed.

((song being played:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yau8nHOXhug))

After the song finished Autmn made her way back to her set by Earth and Cloud when she got there  "how was theat" asked Autmn as she was sitting down after a long silence from the stage but the music was so loud and upbeat then autumn put her hoofs over her ears.

One of Earth Writer's favorite play titles was "You Never Can Tell," which he would restate as, "The World does not Explain Itself."  Nopony could ever quite be sure that one day would be like another, or what sort of things were or were not impossible.  With diligence, it was possible to understand what had happened, and one could usually make a pretty good guess as to what was going on.  But as for what would happen next?  Faust alone knew, if anyone.

Still, if the reporter had been a betting pony, he wouldn't have bet sand to gold bits that Thunderbuck's next number would have been that.  It was almost like hearing Octavia Trebleclef transition from a sonata into dubstep.  *They're never going to believe this back at home.*  Not that it stopped him from writing it all down for them to read.

"That was pretty good!"  He called back to Autumn as she asked how he liked her music.  He had to raise his voice to make sure he was heard.  "If I wasn't on the clock right now, I'd be dancing with the rest of 'em!"

And then... the Dramatic Reveal!  No director Earth Writer could name would have staged it better.  Well, there Buck was, and when the song ended, he would turn around to face the applause of the audience.  How would he handle it?  Earth knew the stallion had made progress today, but this might be too much, too soon.  Hopefully not, but then, you never could tell now, could you?

Buck's music ran it's course. As he finished he took a moment to catch his breath. the lights came back up. and then he noticed the curtain. His eyes widened as she slowly turned to look over his shoulder. Ponies were staring at him. His legs started to shake. The colt turned slowly and removed his blinders. He could see no less than ten ponies looking right at him. They were whispering, talking about HIM. He couldn't tell what they were saying. But he imagined the sneers and laughing would start any second.

Cloudchaser was moving to try and keep everypony back but he just wasn't fast enough. A few ponies rushed the stage. All were smiling and wanted to meet and speak to the mystery musician that had kept them entertained for so long. But it wasn't going to happen. Thunderbuck bolted for the stairs. his hooves clopping and sliding. The untrimmed hooves not properly gripping the freshly cleaned and waxed floor like properly manicured hooves would. Ponies jumped back out of his way as he dashed behind the counter and jumped over it. There was a clear loud crack as he busted his back leg against the counter top in his failed rush. Thunderbuck cartwheeled and smashed head first into the side of the stairs. The moment he hit his magic arched off, and moved one of the pictures off the wall. There was no glass in the frame and thus nothing broke when it fell. However the colt cupped his front hooves on his face. "Oh fates, is he ok?" some pony asked. 

Cloudchaser went to move and help him, but Thunderbuck warped out of existence. In his scramble, buck had knocked over several of his instruments, breaking a few. Cloudchaser stood there, one hoof held out as if reaching to where buck had been. He turned slowly. "Guests will return to their rooms with their meals. Everyone else take your food and leave. We're closing." His eyes then fell on Autumn and Earth. "You two...stay right where you are..." His tone was heavy, almost commanding. 

Bagera and Gabera helped to clean up after everyone was in their rooms or left. Cloudchaser had refused payment from anyone for the meal. Once it was done, the colt went to the door. he didnt just close it. he threw the bolt with angry force. His hoof then slammed the floor as she whirled around "Celestia's Feathers!!!!! When I thought you might help him get out and make friends I didn't figure on you two getting him wound up with confidence and then THAT!!!! Now im going to get the doctor. I know he broke his leg there. Probably chipped his horn on the stairs too. Busted lip. more than likely he cant walk for a week or more now. Neither of you move until I get back with the doctor... Bagera, Gabera. They leave this table.... put them back. I mean it."  A pair of quiet "Ayes" came from the twins. 

Cloudchaser left the building and slammed the door after himself. Bagera came to the door and locked it quietly. Then he picked up his broom again. Sweeping the floor quietly he took his time. Gabera busied herself washing dishes. both zebras kept glancing at the music stage. Torn curtain. Busted drums. A tipped over Keyboard with a few keys missing. A smashed violin, and a flute that was bent in half. The music stand that had held his notes and the newspaper clipping of his parents was tipped over and all the papers were torn. 

Bagera set his broom aside and went to the stage. Kneeling down, he gently moved some of the papers aside. He lifted out some notes about zebra tribal drums. Scratchy writings with a dull pencil. notes about the sounds and how they can be turned to fit orchestra type music. "Working on his composition piece. It was how he paid Cloudchaser his lease. Our boss only wanted to keep him safe and happy. Even though it may sound sappy. He is like our father. And we are his family." the zebra muttered to himself softly. Gabera looked toward him. Then at the clock. "He will be returning soon. Brother, will you see to Thunderbuck and the other guests in their rooms?"  Bagera gave a nod and set the paper down gently. Walking for the stairs he paused and looked at where buck had hit his face. There was a spot where the wood was marked. And a small crack had appeared. Buck had hit hard. 

"thanks its an old legend back from when i was young from where i am from" said Autumn over the music.

Then after the song ended and Thunder saw the other ponies could see him he freak-out and ran and jump ober the counter and went upstairs but not without accdently hurting him.Cloudchaser told them to stay there and blaming them for what happen after he left.

"do you really think is might be our fault and is he ok" said Autumn to earth

Oh.

Apparently, Buck wasn't prepared to handle so much audience so soon.  Admittedly, the reporter probably should have guessed that, but even then he wouldn't have said that the reaction would take such an...extreme sort.  And really, what could he have done even if he did know what would happen.

Thus, Earth Writer could only shrug at Autumn Quartz.  "I... don't know if Thunderbuck's OK.  That looked like it hurt.  Um, I'll probably cut the story short at this point.  Or not; maybe I should give warning?  I don't know!"  The unicorn snapped, irritated not with ponies, but with what one of his colleagues had called "the general cussedness of things."  Why do these things always happen to ponies who just want to help?

He huffed, not in any kind of mood to be receptive to what the zebra twins said.  He just waited for Cloudchaser, trying not to break his pencil in two with frustration.

*Snap*

He didn't succeed.

Gabera overheard. Coming to them, she spoke softly. "He blames you not. He is merely fraught. Worry for the son he never had. When we found Thunderbuck it was truly sad." She sat beside them. "There is something you should know." She sighed and spoke slowly. "Thunderbuck was all alone. We found him huddled behind a stone. Trying to hide from the rain. But all his efforts were in vain. His small cart was full to bursting. many instruments and a little trussing. He feared our very presence. He even cowered from our gentle countenance. He has lived here for three years. All of them were forged from his secret tears. To Cloudchaser he has become a son. The young pony needed a home and so we gave him one."

The zebra female looked at the floor. She sighed softly. "The doctor will be here soon." her brother returned down with a stack of plates balanced on his nose. "Sister, a hoof if you please. I really must sneeze." Gabera moved to help her sibling and then took the dishes to wash as Bagera covered his face as he sneezed. The male then moved to the back to wash his hooves. 

The door sounded with a soft knock. Gabera opened the door. The doctor walked in and went right up the stairs. Cloudchaser came in behind him, sweating. Gabera shut the door behind him. The weighty colt sat at the bar as the zebra female brought him a glass of water. Cloudchaser downed it and took a deep breath. "I have never flown... that hard in my life.... Fat colts are not meant to fly like that."

He looked at the pair and sighed. "Alright. Im sorry about that. I shouldnt have yelled. I just... panicked. Buck got hurt, and I was left looking at him." The colt pushed his sweat drenched mane back. "I shouldn't have yelled at you."

Archived