Where Will the Afternoon Take Us? (closed)

RainbowFoxxy

rapidlogo.jpg

"Hu-ten-shun! You call that a formation? I've seen better lines on the back of a bumble bee's behind!" The stallion narrowed his eyes and walked right into the face of a snickering recruit. "You thinks that's funny do ya?" He narrowed his eyes even more. The recruit swallowed hard and tried to answer but no words came forth. "Come on, tell me I'm funny!"

"Y-you're f-funny..." The unhappy pegasus trailed off under the withering glare of his commanding officer.

"That's what I thought! Well, try this for funny. You're on washing brigade outside the mess until further orders are issued. Funny enough for you?"

"Y-es..."

"Yes, what?"

"Yes Captain Rapid Fire sah!"

Rapid turned away from the recruit, flicking his tail in disdain as he walked the rest of the line. They didn't call him strict for nothing. Rapid was known for dealing with new recruits in a fashion that soon had them shaped up to be fighting fit and ready to protect their princesses. The stallion adopted his parade ground tone.

"That will be all! Get yourselves to the barracks! Diiismised!"

The group of ponies saluted and then marched as smartly as they could to the barracks and a well needed wash. Once they were out of sight Rapid dropped into his regular posture and made his way to his own quarters in the trainings grounds of the REA. The Captain's heart began to thump in his chest at the thought of the afternoon to come. He would be meeting Swing in a little while. He was sure his coltfriend would be as bubbly and happy to see him as he always was. Rapid's stern expression was quickly replaced with one of soft affection as he trotted a bit faster. As soon as he got washed up, he could go meet Swing!

Rapid couldn't help a sigh escaping his muzzle as he set down the armor of his rank into his locker. Though it was light enough, it still made him hot and a bit uncomfortable after a while. He ducked under the flowing water, allowing it to wash away the sweat and dirt that came with training new recruits. The water felt good as it soaked his pelt and fell through his mane and tail. After a few more moments his unicorn magic levitated a towel over his shoulders. Once his gear was properly stored and he had himself looking clean the Captain happily trotted out of the barracks and headed for the meeting point.

There was a bridge on the west side of Canterlot, not far from the dance studio Solar Swing frequented. They had met there many times and each time Rapid had felt his heart take flight. This time was no different. He took the gently curving bridge in large stallion strides, hardly able to contain his excitement for meeting his special some pony.

There he was!

"Swing! Hey Swing!" Rapid called out in the deep but friendly voice he reserved specially for Solar Swing.

Solar could feel the sweat pour out of every pore of his overworked and blessed body, the cramps and jumps of pain apparent in every step outside of the studio a reward for a great day of work. You could scarcely believe when you were a foal that the way you would learn to tell success fro failure was just how tired and physically mauled you felt at the end of whatever test lay in front of you. Perhaps that was why ballet was working out so well for him- he had always known that was the sign of success. You didn't get to live in his family full of high expectations and grow up thinking success came without pain or sacrifice. Of course this wasn't what his father had in mind when he said “no pain, no gain” after every workout but such was life. Father never stood a chance, really. It all came down to the grabby hooves of fate and his beloved sister.

She had been the first to show him the wonders of ballet. Of course as he grew up he realized that she was fooling with him whenever she had him play the part of the ballerina so she could giggle impishly with her friends, but he didn't mind the outfits much. He was all about the dancing. His passion was strong and for years now he had been perfecting it. His body was lithe but strong, built for speed, precision, and endurance under stress. He wasn't the strongest stallion in the world but he didn't need to be. He just needed to be the best stallion dancing that night and he was hopefully showing the world of performance art that he was the best ballet dancer this side of Equestria every single night. He got that drive like he did most things from his sister.

She is also the one who gave him his taste in love interests. She talked about all her coltfriends and what they did together to an enraptured audience of one. If her sister thought stallions were cool, so did Solar Swing. If sister thought that getting close was good, then so did he. If sister wanted to snuggle and kiss them, so did he. Of course he never got a chance- he was so consumed with dance and other activities that mare seemed to run all over that he couldn't get the right type of stallion, like the ones his sister dated. It was very annoying until one day he received a present- a coltfriend of his very own, picked by his sister. Of course he hadn't ever told her that he was into colts or stallions, but she gave him a coltfriend anyway. She always did know hat was best, that sister of his.

And now, years later, there he was with Rapid Fire. Fine noble stallion Rapid was, and they even had a bridge they could meet up at. Not far from the studio, not too far from where he farted around in the REA. It was a perfect place to be and it was where he waited for his lover to show up, the soft wind of the city blowing away some of the accumulated sweat as the world dropped into a slower pace. Why, he could even-

"Swing! Hey Swing!" 

Scratch that, Rapid was here. Solar turned around and trotted over to his beau, throwing his arms around him. He was at times overly affectionate. “Rapid! How was your day?”

• 2 weeks later...

rapidlogo.jpg

Rapid! How was your day?

Rapid felt his heart jump as Swing put his arms around his neck. The big stallion reached up and pulled the dancer into a tighter embrace. Swing smelled like he had been working out and hadn't even showered. The solider couldn't help but smile. Swing worked hard for what he had and the solider had always appreciated that about him.

"Oh you know...the usual." He spoke as he took a step back so he could look at Swing for a moment. "New recruits need to be molded into shape and it's a part of my job to take care of that." He winked and smiled slyly. "Looks like you've been working on your form today too." He nuzzled the stallion. "All your work really shows. You look great Swing."  After that Rapid backed off a pace. He had let his heart get the better of him, but he usually preferred to keep his distance when it came to affection in public. Still this was their place to meet up. Their special bridge.

Rapid began to lead the way off towards a single track trail he had discovered earlier in the week. He figured the two of them could go on a little trot together to loosen up after their respective busy days.

"So, I'm pretty sure this trail will take us part way up into the Solstice Heights if you're up for a little trot." He nodded to the saddle bag on his back. "We can find a place to have a snack once we're up there."

Having a drill instructor for a coltfriend really did wonders for your motivation. Just knowing that somewhere out there a collection of ponies looked up t your beau with the same respect you did, and they even had a bit of fear attached to it, was powerfully exciting. Swing had always respect his colt but as he had proven himself adept in his field and Swing in his, competence from both ends created an equality he craved in a partner. He didn't want his high minded artistic ideals to persevere over his partner's world. Nor did he want his partner's movements forward to forget the blood, sweat, and tears of his own efforts. In that way Swing had found a perfect match, a pony devoted to the same ideals of work in a very different way. It was all pretty cool.

“I'm happy that the REA has someone like you to whip our young mares and stallion into shape. Need the best of the best there, now don't we?” Swing offered with simmering praise, though a part of him felt like a failure every time he repeated the second part of it. His father had never even began to mention with even the barest hint of his eyes any disappointment in his son, but it was hard for Swing to not imagine there had to be. A military family without a military son just seemed off. But oh well, such was life and life was good. “What is your schedule for the next week? Same old, same old?” He asked as he followed Rapid on the trail.

“Glad you noticed my form. Today was tough- I've felt a little low energy lately, making it harder to do the patterns and get the movements just right. I should really shower before we go anywhere but...I'll always ready for a trot with you. Where we goin'?” He asked, eyes aglow.

rapidlogo.jpg

Rapid began to trot towards the single track trotting trail he had picked out for them for their afternoon excursion. A little trot after a hard day at work was always a welcome activity. They were both in super good shape so a little extra exercise after their respective hard days would feel good. It was a little hot this particular afternoon and Rapid could feel himself start to sweat fairly quickly.

"Actually, they gave me the day off half way through next week! Do you think you could get a little time that day? We could go do something fun." He smiled at his coltfriend and trotted on.

Soon they had reached the trail head. It was behind the castle grounds, at the edge of Canterlot that was bordered by the mountains. They could see the trail, winding with switch backs up into the Solstice Heights. Rapid shielded his eyes and looked west for a moment.

"I'm thinking we'll get to the destination right before sunset, if that's cool with you?" He reached back to quickly adjust the light saddlebag he was carrying. "Then we can enjoy what I brought. Oh, and don't worry about showering we can take care of that along the way!"

Rapid let himself enjoy an easy stride as they began to hit the incline of the trail. It was steep but not uncomfortable. He definitely wanted to keep a speed where he could keep talking with Swing. The trail was pretty awesome, with views of Canterlot and the lands beyond around every turn. Some parts were a bit narrow and it required concentration to not take a wrong step and slip off the trail. Both stallions were sure footed though so Rapid never changed his stride as they continued the ascent. Eventually the sound of rushing waters could be heard.

As they rounded a corner, a waterfall and small pool appeared. There were small streams in the Solstice Heights, some of which resulted in waterfalls. Rapid nodded to the falls.

"There's our shower!" He smiled and trotted towards the cold water.

Solar followed Rapid, but had his mind focused more on the possibilities in next week's schedule. His work had three different phases to it. First and foremost was training and cutting the roster which was always fairly intense. There was training and review every day and you had to make sure your attendance was perfect. Luckily, they had passed that stage. The third was performance time periods, where you did daily shows and had little time to breathe. It was easier for a background dancer than a main one, and as a pony who straddled the line into secondary he had it easier than a few and harder than most. Luckily, they were not yet there. The second stage was the easiest and it was getting the patterns and movements of your role down. So much of ballet was based on your intelligence, capacity to learn, and physical qualities that for a pony like Solar it was easy. And it was subsequently easier by a few degrees of magnitude to take time off. They were in that stage, so Solar nodded along emphatically to the idea. “I can definitely get time off. Just give me a day so I can talk it over with my bosses and see what I can do, okay?” Solar asked with a smile, more than confident it would get done quickly.

He followed Rapid with pep in his step, excited by the mystery of where they were going and why. Rapid wasn't a stallion who would drag Solar every which way because it was a thing he could do. If he was taking Solar somewhere it was special and while every day was special and every meeting unique, there was definitely a bit more to this. They could have been eating something or seeing a show or just enjoying a game. Instead they were going for one heck of a walk, all for the sake of some mystery. It was fun, it was exciting, it was easy- inclines weren't jack to Solar- and Solar was more than happy to play along.

It got decidedly rougher. The trail towards Solstice was one that could take any number of turns and they chose a more direct one, though that came with a great deal more of a grit requirement. It wasn't long before they got to what amounted to a waterfall, and Rapid ran in. Yes, shower indeed! “usually I like it warm but this'll have to do!” he chuckled before leaping into the waterfall.

rapidlogo.jpg

Rapid watched as his coltfriend jumped into the cold water. Thankfully it was the warm time of year so it wouldn't be quite as chilling as it could be.

“usually I like it warm but this'll have to do!”

"Ya, I don't mind a warm shower either, but this is really fun!" He called down to Swing as he made his way up the side of the falls. There were a few rocks that projected out, giving him places to put his hooves until he reached a good height. "Look out beloooooow!" Rapid shouted before jumping out and away from the wall of the falls. He tucked into a cannonball position and hit the pool with a huge splash. "Yaaa! That was fun!" He swam around in the deep part of the pool, letting the cold water wash away the dust from the trail.

After a little while he got out and stood at the shore, ready to jump in again. "You want to jump in from higher up Swing? It's a rush!"

• 3 weeks later...

Rapid tossed himself with all the carefree, haphazard energy that was the birthright it seemed of most REA stallions when they were younger. Solar didn't have the same strength or confidence to believe he could jump from so high and not hurt himself naturally. Some ponies had it in them, some did not, and Solar did not. All he saw was a beautiful scene that could turn bad with a little bit of reckless youth stirring a dangerous cauldron. He was reckless at times, but not with his body- with his heart, with his love, sure. But his body was his livelihood and that was something he didn't have the courage to risk so freely. Naturally.

Naturally. Not if he was helped, which he was in this case by Rapid. No doubt about it, a lover's word emboldened beyond all reckoning the reckless nature of a wild stallion. Solar took a deep gulp and smiled, clambering on top of the rocks slowly and surely, making sure not to lose his expert hoofing. He reached the top in good order and looked down, considerably higher than from where Rapid had jumped off. He took a deep breath and fell back a few hoof steps, leveraging his taut muscles In his hind quarters to get off to a great jump. He did so and in a few short bounds jumped off of the rocks, contorting in the air into a nice arrow before slicing through the water like an expert diver, coming up a solid six seconds later and shooting water into Rapid's face, smiling all the while.

rapidlogo.jpg

Rapid spluttered as water from his coltfriend's muzzle caught him in the face. He used his hooves to push water back at Solar and cheered.

"Woo hoo! Holy hay Swing that rock ledge was so high!" He splashed the lithe stallion again. "And I'm supposed to be the brave REA stallion..."

After they had time to swim around for a while Rapid levered himself out of he pool and shook water from his coat. The day was growing older so it wasn't quite as hot out anymore. He ducked down and got the saddle bag he had been carrying back into place. Then he turned back to Swing.

"We should get going! I want to make sure we're there at the right time!"

Rapid trotted on, winding his way through the mountain path with ease. The path became slightly narrow at times, but it was nothing to two couldn't handle. Up they went until the air started to get a little thinner and the light from the sun began to change to orange bordering on red.

"Ok, right around this corner..." Rapid lead Swing to a special place he had found a few days ago when he had been doing a mountain trail trot on his own. It was a ledge that was overhanging a sheer cliff. Certainly broad enough to sit down on and with rock behind to lean on. In front of them, two large quartz crystals were lodged into the edge of the ledge. As the sun began to set the rays went through the crystals, breaking them into a myriad of colors. It was an amazing sight!

"So, what do you think?" The stallion spoke as he took a seat on the ledge, leaving room for his coltfriend.

• 2 weeks later...

Solar smiled at the praise of his coltfriend, himself a little stunned at the risk he had just taken. His body had felt the after effects with a slight stinging sensation all up and down his right side, but that subsided with time. And even if it hadn't, he could take it. He may not have been REA but any athlete or dancer knew what pain felt like and how to push through it. After a bit of playful splashing the two of them exited the watering hole and started to head up, Rapid leading the way. It was a beautiful area. A little rural for his tastes, of course. Solar was a stallion of the city and somepony devoted to all the good things an urban life offered, but it didn't take an out and out hippy to appreciate nature. With nopony out here and little sign of visitation r control, the slight wildness of the land overtook them. The natural world was often times without reason, as the small, odd vines that snaked up the side of the cliff told, poking out ever so slightly across the path they insured their gait against falling off of.

It took not too much longer before they arrived at the destination, a beautiful cliffside view of the stars and Equestria laid out before them. It was a wonderful sight to behold whether you were with somepony or not, but feeling the warmth of your beau only made the heart stopping sensation all the more acute. Rapid may be an REA pony but he had as sharp an eye for what made the heart quiver with delight as he did the less than perfect pressing of a cadet's uniform. Not a lot of room, though not a lot was needed as Solar gasped in pleasant surprise and cuddled close. “Wow! This place is spectacular. I-I mean, how did you even find this place?” Solar asked in amazement, staring around as a smile cracked his features.

• 2 weeks later...

rapidlogo.jpg

Rapid couldn't help but smile back as the stallion he cared for so much enjoyed the special place.

"Well, I was on a long distance trot a few weeks ago and I randomly ended up here actually. When i saw it, I thought of you right away," The REA stallion felt his heart rate speed up just a little bit as Solar snuggled close. Rapid turned and nuzzled him lightly right under his ear before turning to watch the sun set. The crystals in the ledge continued to change colors as the sun traveled downwards. They glittered and sparkled in amazing patterns and lights. Rapid found himself a little dazzled as he watched the display. "I knew you would love seeing this."

"Wow, I never stayed for the whole sunset last time." He turned to Solar and gave him another quick nuzzle. It was such a nice evening.

Once the sun had set, the stallion reached into his pack. He had a couple candles which he lit and placed near the crystals. They caught the candle light and illuminated the ledge. Then he brought out some treats.

"I know you have to be careful about what you eat so I brought you some treats that wouldn't be too bad for you." Rapid laid the snacks out. It was an assortment of little treats that he knew Solar liked. "I just wanted to give you a nice evening."

It was true. Nothing made Rapid happier than seeing his coltfriend happy.

• 2 weeks later...

What a peaceful, lovely place fopr two lovers to share the warm embrace of love alone and without the obscene threat of constant interruption. Solar loved Canterlot. He loved cities. The hustle and the bustle, the energy he got by and traded on in his performances was as much a characteristic of a city as much as it was his own personal stores given free expression. But there was something to be said for the soft light of nature unimpeded by the bright lights of an unbound city touching him and his coltfriend gently as they allowed the view before them to be calm and settled in it's endless love of peace and righteous tranquility.

"And you thought right, Rapid. You have an eye for beauty, don't you?" Solar teased as he nestled close. What a perfect way to spend an afternoon, especially one he should have been using for activities more closely related to his job. It required constant work all the time, the unforgiving nature of creativity meaning somepony was always waiting in the wings to express himself. He really should be practicing, but he'd rather just be here with Rapid. A superior use of his time, no doubt. Solar rubbed his right back leg's inner thigh to relieve some soreness before snuggling deeper in. "SO, I'm ignoring training for this. What does the responsible part of you think you should be doing?"

• 3 weeks later...

rapidlogo.jpg

"SO, I'm ignoring training for this. What does the responsible part of you think you should be doing?"

Rapid smiled softly and leaned into Swing. It was so nice just to spend some time with the stallion. He wasn't really surprised that Swing was still thinking about his responsibilities. He really did have a demanding job, even more so than Rapid had.

"Well, I'm supposed to go to a recruit training later tonight. It's part of the job I'm never too excited about. Basically we tell a bunch of colts and fillies what it would be like to be a member of REA. Don't get me wrong, I love how excited they all get it just well...I like to spend time with you in the evenings when I can." He smiled and gave Swing another nuzzle.

The stallion reached behind him and opened the pack he had brought. Inside were little treats for them to share. He knew Swing needed to take care of himself so he hadn't brought anything unhealthy to eat. Just little treats really. "Here you go Swing. I brought your favorites." He smiled, moving the pack nearby. "So, you want a little snack?" He spoke quietly as the sun completed setting. Bright red light burst through the crystals on the cliff edge, completing the beautiful view. "I even got a couple sugar coated hay sticks. Not a lot though, I know you need to watch what you eat for your job." He smiled and held a hay stick out for Swing.

The stars began to twinkle overhead as the sunlight faded away. It was quite an intoxicating scene before them.

Archived