Snake Oil

ancara22

Figured i'd throw my figurative hat into the RP ring and see how things went. :U

Name: Snake Oil

Sex: Male

Species: Earth Pony

Pelt Color: Purple-ish

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Brown wavy hair that's poofed up a bit, but not by much. As for the tail, it's short and straight, as well as also brown.

Eye Color: Blue

Cutie Mark: a bit bill.

Physique: somewhat tall and buff, but not by that much.

Origin: He was born in Manehattan under a poor family, who was just scraping by to make a living so they could survive. He, being the only child, had to do a ton of work just to make sure that food was on the table, and that his parents would be able to see him as a decent pony. But no matter what he did, nopony would pay him more than the bare minimum for him being from a "poor family" as well as being such a young pony, so he was usually having to work overtime and even in dangerous conditions just to get what little extra pay he could get. It was a cold and cruel world for him, but at the least his family could manage to survive, back then at least.

Eventually, when he got older, he lost his mother due to a virus that was curable, but they couldn't afford due to Manehattan's hospital costing so much to cover the medical bills and for their notorious reputation of being snobby towards the poor. As for his dad, the two of them ended up in a big fight over his mom and how she was such a "good-for-nothin' buckin' witch for all I care. I shoulda married that rich girl when I had the chance!" This led to Snake Oil leaving their little shack for good, sickened with what his own dad became. With his family basically done with and the way that the rich and snobby ruined his life, it made him grow bitter and angry towards the elite residents of Manehattan. He felt that they had done his family wrong and that they had to pay somehow for the "crimes" that they had committed. After spending weeks trying to think of various ways to get his "revenge" on those ponies, he decided that the best way would be to trick rich ponies out of their money via their trust and gullibility, by means of becoming a "salespony". He had learned all about how to get a "customer" to buy anything you wanted to sell from watching those doing it while he worked as a little colt, and would use those same tricks on those same ponies to take from them the money that they gloated about and splurged with. So he made a vow: Anypony who used money frivolously and let it go to their head would end up getting their "just desserts", even if he would have to get his hooves dirty to do so.

Roleplay Type: Mane RP, no questions asked here.

Occupation: A "salespony" who visits rich and/or snobby ponies and offers to them fantastic things that amaze them, only for them to either be useless, broken, or end up backfiring on the pony who bought it. He'd then leave a note saying to them "That's what you get for letting money get to your head". After he gets the money from them, he splits it 50/50: half for himself, and half for anypony he think deserves it more. He would give it all to those who need it, but he still needs to be able to afford food and whatever else he needs, so he splits it evenly.

Motivation: Ever since the death of his mother, he held resentment for the rich and snobby, and does his craft with the intention of getting them to realize what stupidity their decisions have led them to going through.....even if what he does is questionable at best.

Character Summary: Snake Oil is a pony who acts flashy and spectacular towards the ponies his plans are focused on, but when he's not trying to do that, he's a pretty down-to-earth pony who isn't as half-bad as those affected by him would lead you to believe. He's a no-nonsense personality who, while sometimes able to enjoy a laugh or two, is usually serious and prefers to enjoy time to himself. If he's bothered he'll fake an act of niceness until they go away, if only to get them to leave him be.

He's not all doom-and-gloom though. He does enjoy watching a good Pegasus race and can often be seen at the races in an excited state. He also has an addiction to baked goods, so if it's good and fluffy, he'll buy 20 of it. In fact, his need to enjoy pastries had led to an incident with him being banned from 5 different bakeries at once, but that's a story for another time.

While he indeed can be a very.....interesting pony to be around when it comes to rich and/or snobby ponies, he's a pretty cool guy around those that don't exactly have that much to keep going. He's not exactly bubbly around them, but he respects the kinds of hardships and pains they likely have to go through each day to get what they need done. He'll never try to scam out anypony poor or kind, and even once foiled the schemes of another con artist trying to trick a poor mother into giving them the last of their hard-earned money for a broken watch that'd never work. He's not a perfect colt, but he at least can be a decent guy around those less fortunate.

When out and about, you'd easily spot him wearing a watch on his front left hoof, so as to inform him of the time. He also wears a pair of brown fancy shoes on his hind hooves. He even is seen styling with a pair of green-tinted sunglasses, used to hide his eyes from view when dealing with a "customer". He almost always wears them, but when he takes them off or they somehow fall off and/or break, then Celestia help the poor soul who made that happen.

snakeoil.png

Obligitory pic.

Nice character, but it does beg the question, what would Equestria currency look like?

Would all denominations of bills have Princess Celestia's pic on it?

I'd love to see Equestia money have the pics and symbols of the Mane 6 cast members!

Applejack could be the one dollar bill

Pinkie Pie could be the five,

Fluttershy could the ten

Twilight Sparkle could be on the twenty dollar bill

Rainbow Dash on the fifty (so fifty's would be 20% cooler!)

And finally, Rarity on the hundred! (fits her personality)

If I were an artist, I'd draw these (front and back) for the whole Canterlot community to see!