Coming Clean to Local Royalty [Private, Ashton, RedCedar]

DerpRavener

Red tried to conceal the slight sigh of relief he took after he saw both Twilight and Trixie breathe a sigh of relief. Apparently, the thought of a changeling in their midst didn't seem like a big deal, but then, compared to some things, perhaps it wasn't. Still, he was glad that there weren't any lingering grudges.

After Naj explained her reasons for wanting to be honest with every pony in her adopted hometown, he decided to add a practical reason as well, just to reinforce the argument. "As well, Your Highness, it might go a long way towards achieving some reconciliation between ponies and changelings. If others see there is one who now is willing to truthfully live among ponies, with the backing of royalty, it could go a long way towards opening a dialogue between both, or at least, get other ponies thinking if it is really reasonable to be afraid of any changeling at all." All right, that might have been a bit of a stretch, but there was no denying the possibility of some benefit to this in his mind.

((sorry, last week was a rough week for me >.<))

Trixie cocked her head "To play the part one *must* become the mask!" she said dramatically

Twilight sighed "Trixie, that's now what she's talkign about... well ok it is, but not like that..." she paused "I'm going to be honest, I think this is a dangerous gamble, there is a high probability that it will backfire and we'll end up with a lynchmob on our hooves, and I have a bad feeling after what happened that Princess Celestia wont be interested in helping out if things get out of hoof" she paused, then smiled "That being said, though, if you really do want to do this, then you'll have my full backing and support, whatever it shoudl cost us"

Trixie gulped, you could almost see the flames in ehr eyes as she immagined the castle burning thanks to the lynch mob twilight mentioned...

When Naj thought about it, Red's answer was probably a lot better than hers was.  Hers was about making up for something that she wasn't even entirely sure was wrong in the first place, while his was about the betterment of species, or at least the relations between them.  But for Naj this was all about honesty, and the reasons she had given were her driving motivator in this case.  The changeling just nodded her agreement as Red spoke.

Trixie was being...supportive?  Naj gave the unicorn a puzzled look.  It had sounded like some sort of agreement, but Naj didn't know just what she was supposed to take from it.

Fortunately, it seemed she wasn't the only one to find it a little odd.  The princess made note of it herself before getting the conversation moving forward once more.  Though she did ultimately offer her support, she voiced some doubts about just how effective or safe it would be.  Naj bowed her head briefly.  “Thank you.  I don't know what will come of this, but your support means a lot.  And yeah,” she had to admit, “you might be right.  It's...risky, and probably not very practical.  But for once, it's not about how useful it would be.  One way or another, I think I should get the word out somehow.  I might just plan an escape route in advance.”

Naj looked between the two mares.  “Though, I don't suppose you might know another way of going about it?”  She chuckled, largely to herself.  “I had an idea at one point to set up a booth or a mailing address,” she waved a hoof through the air, motioning a title.  “ 'Ask a changeling'.”

[Hey, welcome back.  We were wondering what had happened to you.]

Red gave another little sigh of relief that the Princess was willing to support Naj's effort, though he worried a little about her assessment of the gesture turning into a mob scene. He wasn't sure what to make of the idea that Princess Celestia would not help in that event. He couldn't imagine her tolerating anything of the sort, but the truth of the matter remained that Celestia would be in Canterlot while they were in Ponyville. Still, Princess Twilight was respected enough within Ponyville that he hoped her endorsement would go a long way towards keeping any assembly calm.

Red did smirk a little, though, at Naj's suggestion of an "Ask a Changeling" service. "Actually, that might not be a bad idea, after things have calmed down a little. I sure learned a lot from being able to ask a changeling." he said, smiling to her.

[Glad to see you back!]

((yeah, things are a little better this week, though on days i'm off, like yesterday, I'll still have trouble getting on. I try to reply (or at least check for replies) before work, at lunch, and after work))

Twilight nodded, a small smile at the joke "I just would like you both to remember that not all ponies will be as open-minded as I am. I would love nothing more than for my subjects to open their hooves to you with joy, but I fear what might happen... and if I may, I see you as my subject too and I want to see you protected and happpy as well"

Trixie smiled "perhaps the Great and Powerful Trixie should be on hoof to try and distract any angry audience members, should things get out of hoof" she offered

"Yes, trixie, I need all the help I can get, if only spike wasn't off on that mission learning about the tribes of the deep darkness jungle I would have him as well, but it seems we're alone this time..."

"as usual" muttered Trixie, but forced a smile, clearly used to being half of the local government most of the time...

The princess seemed to get the humour, but while Red did as well, he also seriously considered the idea for a moment.  She looked at him curiously.  It had at no point been a part of the plan, but he had a point.  Talking to a changeling might be the best way to assuage some fears, or ease some anger.  She did still believe understanding was the best way for changelings and Equestrians to reconcile, even if a number of ponies wouldn't take to it right away.

They would collectively have to get through this first.

Naj paused at Twilight's statement, before quietly saying “Thank you, again.”  She felt like she was repeating herself, but in this case it might be warranted.  “That's all I'm really worried about, at this point.”

“And yes, I know some ponies won't tolerate it.”  She grimaced, and rubbed her own neck with a hoof.  “...I can't say I WANT to deal with it.  But I don't think it'll help anypony if I back out now.  Some ponies won't like it, and they're sure to make that clear, but that's something I should just deal with.”

Trixie offered her own unique form of help, which caused Twilight to lament that Spike wasn't here.  Naj was a little surprised to hear the reason, as from what she remember Spike was a child, even if a very mature one.  “...He went off on his own?”  Naj mumbled, before shaking her head.  This wasn't important right now.  “Anyways.  Thank you for the offer, Trixie, though hopefully we won't need anything like that.” She explained.  “If the crowd got too aggressive, I'm sure I could make it to the woods and lose them there.  After that, I would circle back to the train station.  Probably in another disguise, as I would be making my announcement as 'Spring Breeze' to start.  Despite how I made it, nopony's second guessed the colours of my pegasus 'disguise'.”  She made the quotation motions with her hooves.

Red took another deep breath as Naj brought him back to reality. He nodded solemnly as she began formulating a plan in case things went badly. "All we'd need is a chance for her to make a flight for it, long enough for her to change, really. Might not require more than a minute's distraction," he said, "Then we can be out on the next train, while they go on a wild goose chase. I sincerely hope you can help be a voice of reason for this, though."

Echoing Naj's sentiments, he added, "Thank you, Your Highness. I appreciate it as well."

((sorry, I would have sworn I replied this the otehr day >.<))

Twilight and Trixie exchanged a worried glance, knowing if their new/old "friend" bailed on them, it would not be a calmed town, but a witch hunt with every pony turned on every other pony nopony trusting anypony...

"Lets hope it doesnt come to that" said Twilight "Though if your really worried, I have an idea" she smiled a slightly mischievious smile

"Trixie smells a bad plan forming"

"no, that was just last night's burritos" said Twilight

Trixie blinked

"Sorry, with spike gone I have to be my own comic relief, I'm still learning how to do it" laughed the alicorn awkwardly "anyway... all we have to di is if the crowd starts panicing too much, then we have smepony leap forward and 'slay' the changeling, and then one of us will run out and 'verify' that your 'dead'"

"Trixie will be more than glad to provide some training for the stage, after all trixie was world famous!"

"yeah... and trixie never lies at all..." said twilight with a roll of her eyes, smiling a teasing smile

Naj recoiled a little at the princess and Trixie's counter suggestion.  It wasn't even that it wouldn't work, it just seemed a bit far.  “...That could do the trick, though isn't that a bit extreme?  Seems a little...un-Equestrian to me.”  It would certainly appear more brutal that she would ever have expected for ponies, at least by the sound of it.  Naj pondered for a moment.  She didn't want to outright reject it, as it was in many respects a sound plan.  But arranging a believable-looking death in public, where there might even be foals around...

Hold on, maybe they didn't need an actual 'death' at all.  “Wait, that's brilliant!”  She looked back and forth between Trixie and Twilight.  “Between the two of you, you can either teleport me away or turn me invisible, right?  All we'd have to do is dress that up like another spell, and 'boom'!  I'm 'banished'!”  She made little motions with her hooves to emphasize the word.  “I'm safely out of town, and the local ponies think this changeling is gone forever.”  She paused, put a hoof under her chin.  “...Which might technically be true, just not for the reason they think.  But either way, it works out for everypony.”

She watched Trixie and Twilight to see how they reacted.  Naj had confidence in them, but this particular plan ultimately came down to if they thought they could manage it.

If Naj had recoiled a little at the suggestion, Red looked positively horrified. The last thing he wanted was for any harm to come to Naj, and so he didn't even want other ponies to think it was possible, let alone acceptable. The very idea of giving any pony the satisfaction of thinking a changeling had been "slain", and that this was a desirable outcome, nearly made him ill. It was bad enough that there might actually have been some pony, somewhere, who would think nothing of doing harm to a changeling without any thought or consideration to who it was, even if it was a friendly one, even if they were allowed to stay in Equestria by royal order, even if it was his fillyfriend. That was nothing short of his worst nightmare.

Naj offered a counter-proposal, one that wouldn't pander to any bloodlust, but Red wasn't even sure that was much better. "I'm not sure that's much better, actually," he said. "I think before this goes ahead everypony in that room should understand that this is under Princess Celestia's authority and if they don't like what they see that's simply too bad! We have laws in this kingdom, or at least, we're supposed to!" He paused for a moment, breathing heavily as he realized just how worked up this conversation had made him, and tried to calm himself down. Finally, looking to Naj again, a tinge of sympathy in his eyes, he added, "I know what you wanted to do here, but, maybe we should just leave and not come back, if this is how the ponies are here. I think I misjudged them all those times I came."

"Dont be a fool this domain is under PRincess Twilight Sparkle the Unabridged!" announced TRixie

Twilight blushed "actually there's an ongoing discussion on who has authority where, I'm still waiting for celestia's ponies to get back to my ponies on it..."

she paused "and dont get me wrong, I want to think you'll be welcomed with open arms, I want to beleive they wont even take a second look, but I want to be prepared, and I have to make sure that in a worse case scenario, I am still protecting my subjects, I'd hate for this to turn into a witch hunt" she said the last part quietly, clearly not wanting to beleive it could happen but also knowing very well that i might...

((sorry for the long delay, I've been battling a nasty bout fo depression, finally climbing out and getting my creativity back))

Naj had seen Red get like this before.  She appreciated the sentiment, but she wasn't sure it was helpful in this case.  What's more, overall she didn't like to see him get this worked up.  It made her worry.  It was her turn to pat his shoulder.

She shot Trixie a look, at the unicorn's comment.  Even if what the latter said were not up for debate and Princess Twilight was indisputably the sole authority here, it wasn't as though the princess would suddenly start ignoring the pony who was her mentor for many years and was an idol for much of Equestria.  She decided not to argue the point though, it wasn't really important to the discussion at hoof.

Naj turned back to Red.  “Let's not jump to any conclusions,” she said in the most calm, soothing voice she could manage in the circumstances.  “We don't know that all of Ponyville is going to jump at me on the first opportunity.   In some ways I don't expect them to.  Either way, it's better to have a plan you don't need than it is not to.”  She scratched the back of her head, and looked around at everypony in the room.  “Though if I'm being honest, just leaving an 'ask a changeling' note with a mailing address on a notice board somewhere, is looking better and better.”

Red felt Naj's hoof rest gently on his shoulder, and he took another deep breath to calm himself down further, closing his eyes a moment. He turned his head and gently nuzzled her hoof as if to let her know how much he appreciated it, before looking back to her and the Princess. "I suppose you're both right, and a plan is better than not having one when you need it. Still, it doesn't have to be as graphic as staging a death. If things get out of hoof, we just have to get to the train station and out of Ponyville, that's all." he said, sounding much more calm than before. "I would still very much like to take the opportunity to inform them that Naj is here legally, so that hopefully that fends off any attempts to do anything before they even start, and just maybe, get them thinking that if one is here, they're not all bad."

Archived