First Rule of Competitive Gaming

CandyStar

If you look in every aspect of the gaming community, there will be players who feel k/d is everything, but that's not entirely true. While you may be skilled, there will always be someone above you who will grind you into the dirt. So to prove my point, here's a saying I like:  "If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."

This may mean, that if you make it all about the K/D ratio being a determining factor on how a player's play style, you're going to be going in blind. Numbers will not determine the overall ability of that player in any way, you must see them play to get a proper read on their play style. While their stats may be weak, that can be made into a strength. For example: Say I played poorly on purpose to make others think I was the worst player, then when they challenge me, I would surprise them by showing them how well I actually play. Numbers can be manipulated easily, so the lesson here is never trust the stats, as that will lead to you dying a lot.

Also another fine example of this? A veteran player removed all his equipment to make himself look like a newbie to the other players, then when they challenge him, he tore them apart; just a painful lesson that you should never judge a book by its cover.

K/D ratio is only a small part of the equation in player skill, though saying it doesn't play any part in it would be misguided. That depends on the game mostly. In a game that's very straight forward like CoD, it plays a bigger role in that than say a game like Battlefield, or even a much lesser effect, a game as open-ended as Planetside.

If you have access to a lot of metrics about a player's stats, it can better show how they play and what they prefer. That can then be compared to other players who play the same way, etc. For example: Planetside tracks a buttload of stuff, and there are player made sites that do even more.

I think a big rule is; don't be a douche. Be respectful to others, regardless of your winning or losing.

Also another fine example of this? A veteran player removed all his equipment to make himself look like a newbie to the other players, then when they challenge him, he tore them apart; just a painful lesson that you should never judge a book by its cover.

I used to do this in Lineage 2. Since player level/HP (you see percentage, that's it) was hidden, this made things all the more humorous when people started things with you. I had a macro for putting on all my good gear.

I think a big rule is; don't be a douche. Be respectful to others, regardless of your winning or losing.

I would say that, yes. Too bad many seem to have adopted this attitude, only makes them more vulnerable to a good player; and a rager moment.

K/D influence is really only geared to arcade shooters like CoD and Battlefeild where kills are the end goal in most of the game modes. There are some games where it really doesn't matter if you have a good or bad K/D, more specifically those that are heavily team based. A prime example is Cs:Go. You might not be able to kill an enemy in a firefight, or die in it, but still do about 90 points of damage to a guy and hit some others. it ultimately helps the in the long run.... as long as they can hit their targets.

But yea, being a complete douche make people want to shoot you in the face more, and very rude. 

K/D influence is really only geared to arcade shooters like CoD and Battlefeild where kills are the end goal in most of the game modes. There are some games where it really doesn't matter if you have a good or bad K/D, more specifically those that are heavily team based. A prime example is Cs:Go. You might not be able to kill an enemy in a firefight, or die in it, but still do about 90 points of damage to a guy and hit some others. it ultimately helps the in the long run.... as long as they can hit their targets.

But yea, being a complete douche make people want to shoot you in the face more, and very rude. 

Destiny is another game where people think it is important, but the stat tracking is sometimes inaccurate. I play a lot of Warface on PC, sometimes you get the ones who think just because you have not gotten good, that you're no good for their team. The point of that game is to have fun, and treat others with respect. Its fine if you trash talk, but going beyond that is not a good idea.

Oh boy, Destiny! don't get me started on how the PvP in that game is so jacked. It play heavy on whose gear is ultimately better, up until you both have the same gear (and i'm also looking that Thorn, such a broken weapon).and yea, Destiny is heavy on that K/D. as all of its modes rely on Kills, minus like.... 1 mode. 

(doesn't help my K/D is like 1.25 across all of my Exo's)

Oh boy, Destiny! don't get me started on how the PvP in that game is so jacked. It play heavy on whose gear is ultimately better, up until you both have the same gear (and i'm also looking that Thorn, such a broken weapon).and yea, Destiny is heavy on that K/D. as all of its modes rely on Kills, minus like.... 1 mode. 

(doesn't help my K/D is like 1.25 across all of my Exo's)

Well not exactly true, even though the level restrictions are off, a level 5 could kill a level 34 easily. Just shows how bad the game is on balance.

Even with everything being normalised, most of the time an higher level weapon outshoots a lower level one. :/ 

it would have helped if bungie has a sort of level ranges for crucible. like a set for every 5 levels (have it still normalised), so the weapons aren't too different in strength. but hey, Im not bungie. Everyone has equal chance, but some weapons have a large advantage than others.

Even with everything being normalised, most of the time an higher level weapon outshoots a lower level one. :/

it would have helped if bungie has a sort of level ranges for crucible. like a set for every 5 levels (have it still normalised), so the weapons aren't too different in strength. but hey, Im not bungie. Everyone has equal chance, but some weapons have a large advantage than others.

Agreed, but I have yet to see not one high level player not complain about being killed by a lower level player. Pretty self explanatory if you think about it, that game has turned into a every soldier for himself. If you beat a player fairly with the infamous "Blink Shotgun" move, they complain about how their gun failed them, when  it was actually their lack of awareness.

Agreed, but I have yet to see not one high level player not complain about being killed by a lower level player. Pretty self explanatory if you think about it, that game has turned into a every soldier for himself. If you beat a player fairly with the infamous "Blink Shotgun" move, they complain about how their gun failed them, when  it was actually their lack of awareness.

Yea, i fall under that "complaining when killed by a lower level" demographic, but who doesn't? xD 

and that's also why I've been avoiding destiny's PvP in its wholesome. a lot of unbalanced weapons and the "normalization" being complete bull and not really affecting things. Could just go play something like Halo for something that balance and still has the same vibe.

Yea, i fall under that "complaining when killed by a lower level" demographic, but who doesn't? xD 

and that's also why I've been avoiding destiny's PvP in its wholesome. a lot of unbalanced weapons and the "normalization" being complete bull and not really affecting things. Could just go play something like Halo for something that balance and still has the same vibe.

I only play PvE because its more fun. But also do patrols to take pot shots at the enemies, keeps me entertained for hours. LDR 5000 is quite handy.

All this pre-order stuff is not really worth it in the end. I just feel that bungie is just only releasing DLC when they are failing and know it. All it does it stall for the inevitable end of the game's life. They should be focusing on fixing everything that they have broken themselves.

Yea, i wasn't all to hyped for the new Dlc. At least enough to make me want to play the game again. >~< 

But its also Bungie, Remember the Gravity Ball update? where they only messed with the Gravity Ball? yea. That's really fixing things that need it... thanks bungie! like like my broke af games and all the cheese spots in boss rooms and whatnot. and most of the time the Preorder stuff is complete garbage.

I've played that game for about 40 hours. never really got all too into it at the time. it was nice though, although a full team of medics on almost every mission was quite handy at times.

Yeah, but the best to have was 2 medics, 1 sniper, and 1 engineer. Always won our missions that way.

Had this moment where I had bought a ballistic vest, which reduces bullet damage. Entered the match lobby and joined the next game, this guy was killing everyone in the room. So as the assault class, I stood there and took all 30 of his clip and returned fire and killed him. This is what the player said: "Now that was bull**t!!" I couldn't believe I survived it either.

Never told anyone this funny moment, but I had been playing Destiny for a whole month. I had entered a rumble match, and these two players started firing thorns at me. None could aim them properly and kept missing me, the next thing I know, I turn to fire, and two other players destroy them. mlp-dlulz.png

I can get mostly headshots with them, I bet those guys on the other team wished they had me. Red Hand XIV(was it?) made it into a hawkmoon. Lucky roll on the stats, but its a beast. But somehow it vanished from my inventory, even though I had it equipped.

Archived