A Little History Lesson (ATTN: The Finest Sorcerer)

Lux

In the quiet of the evening Twilight settled within the confines of her personal study room. It was a place she modeled after the one in the castle in Canterlot where she saw Princess Celestia numerous times compose proclamations, treaties, and answering mail. It was a cozy room, barely big enough to fit her, a few select ponies, and some essential pieces of furniture, but this wasn't a place meant for the public. This was her room where she could shut out the stresses of the outside world and focus on studying or replying to her messages. Although paperwork as a Princess could be tedious, what she loved best was responding to mail! Each letter brought with it a new set of challenges and requests. Some were simple enough, a question asked by a pony about her or a request for information. Others were harder like resolving some conflict, a few needing more than a simple response. 

One evening she received a message in a rather unconventional way, a raven carrying a scroll. It waited patiently for her to respond as she looked at the note. 

"Dear Twilight Sparkle Princess Twilight Sparkle,

I am writing to you on behalf of my latest failure to keep in-line with the most recent of developments in Equestrian History. I imagine that sounds rather odd to you but so long as you continue to give this letter a necessary allotment of your attention then I will explain cordially. My name is Umek and we have never met officially though I did attend Canterlot Academy at what I can infer was the very same time you had come under the tutelage of Princess Celestia.

Amusing how I might have walked right over you and not noticed. Such a shame, really, That I did not realize I were in the presence of royalty then. But it is not your position alone that has peaked my intrigue. Instead I am confident in that you and I share an equal passion; A passion that truly has culminated into a burning desire to finally see what everypony has become so flustered over these past short years.

I have never been a pony to limit myself to one banner; hence my depatriotization some time after dropping out of my studies, but I find myself drawn to return to my homeland if only to rekindle with my family and friends - And perhaps make new ones. I know I must sound ancient but I assure you, I'm no more than a decade your superior. Time however is a dastardly fiend and it has clearly left me aloof and unknowledgeable.

Even now you are but a name and a title to me. Such that I might wish to lay an eye upon you simply because I've not a clue as to whom you are or what you look like. An misshapen enigma that must be sought out once and for all. I understand there has been so much change in this last decade alone; it's mind boggling to think that so many crisis have emerged and yet I've not seen it for myself.

Of course there are grievous things that riddle the lands beyond the Sea of Crimsonrine and though it does hurt me to leave them to their own devices I'm afraid that if I were to wait any long that I would forever miss out on what might have been. Eleven years is long enough to forsake one's homeland and it's ponies in the name of knowledge and adventure. Though it does leave me with many stories tell and much wisdom to pass down. I'm certain you could say the same from your own experiences and that is what I am particularly keen on.

By my estimate, whence this letter has reached you I would have already made landfall in Roam aboard the "Hurricane Jasmine" Grand Galleon - a perk awarded to me for my utmost loyalty and service to her captain - and will already have begun my journey to the Equestrian Mainland. I have only ever walked through Ponyville once in my lifetime and I do not recall a castle standing there; it should be an astonishing sight I'm sure.

If you do wish to write me before my arrival, inscribed on the back of this letter is a simple phrase you must speak to a carrion bird. A Raven or a Crow will do; smart creatures, do not make mistake. I'm certain it should not take long to figure the spell to summon their attention. Just write to me, whisper the words in their ear.

Then tell them my name.

I do so look forward to making your acquaintance, my Lady. In turn I only hope it would not inconvenience you to host me.

~An Aspiring Wizard~

Umekile"

"A wizard needs my help with Equestrian History? It must be urgent to speak with me rather than consult a library. Well, he said he is coming to Ponyville anyway, so I suppose I can meet with him." 

Taking a quill with ink she wrote a response: 

Dear Umekile, 

I am glad to have received your letter, and having read about your journeys and your desire to understand current Equestrian history, I'd be happy to meet with you. I'm sure Equestria has changed since the last few years that you remembered it to be, but you will find Ponyville to be relatively the same from when you remember it, well, except for my castle! I will look forward to meeting you where I hope we can share our knowledge. 

Sincerely,

Princess Twilight Sparkle

With that she affixed the letter to the waiting bird and whispered what was a rather unintelligible sound, but to the bird it seemed to understand as it took off towards an unknown destination. She then resumed her project of answering letters, looking forward to meeting this enigmatic figure. 

Sat parallel beside a crackling fireplace, his hat nestled beside him atop another bar stool our alledged enigma resides. Any Inn was a home and hold for somepony of his persuasion; a safe haven to rest, relax and not fret with the common worries that properly plague a wayward wizard.

While light of the flames douse the left side of his very articulate face he appears carefully spellbound by a simple letter. By now having read it over thrice whilst enjoying the sensation of a piping-hot cup of coffee; sugared and creamed to his liking. The room nigh empty at such a late hour of the day... and every sunrise brought him that much close to a very worthwhile event. An event that since his landing in Roam and for much of his journey through Greater Equestria to bring himself only a few days gallop from Ponyville had been weighing deeply on him; And only an hour ago did he receive her reply.

His ears erect whilst his eyes fixated on the well written slip of paper; the mare in question had a very refined write style. It was actually a gift in his eyes to be holding it.. signed by a Princess. Of course whence he were finished, the Stallion would merely cast it into the flame.. but not without a warm, rousing chuckle.

" 'Scuse me, my good friend.. More coffee.", his hoof begins to strafe the lip of his near empty mug of caffeine, watching the fireplace glow a little brighter, "It is not as though I will be sleeping easy tonight anyway.", a smile crosses that warm, sharp muzzle of his.

While his complexion remained sweet; more calm than pond water, there was no measurement for how eager he were on the insight. A fire had been birthed within his very soul. It had been quite some time since he had ever sat down with Equestrian royalty. Sure he were used to lesser and sometimes high nobles from the lands beyond; be it Equitarian nobility.. to Unyasi chieftans or leading shamans. None could compare to the shining utopia that was Equestria. This country were on an entirely different plane of existence when you compared practicalities. Of course that didn't make his previous encounters any less interesting but this were a time he WASN'T showing up for a 'business venture' and instead he quite literally intended to sit down and have coffee with the Princess of Magic - if she so allowed it.

No wonder he wouldn't rest easy.. There were so many things boggling his mind.

=====

A Week Passes~

Princess Twilight was certainly right about Ponyville looking about the same as he had left it; though he had to admit... Ten years you would think the last detail to cross one's mind was how happy everypony was in a town you hardly stepped hoof in. But then again for every foot of terrain he crossed the stallion had done his best to remember it. But there seemed to be an overwhelming aura of sheer joy. Perhaps it was the happy, excitable foals? Fillies and Colts did bring such a warmth to his heart; enough to apply a little magic to liven up their days from fireworks to smoke tricks. Simply pyrotechnics came second-nature to his persuasion after all.

Or no, perhaps it was the friendly nature everyone seemed to extend to him. From the various hello's and amused, judgmental - but not rude - looks toward his unusual complexion were rather heartening as opposed to the opposite. Were they all really this hospitable? Equestria was a kind of land he'd been born into and yet still couldn't fathom just how special it were. Harmony was something that just didn't click in his mind and yet he were so conditioned to do anything but break it. He was an outdated concept here which didn't worry him thankfully, because his employment came overseas, not on Equestrian Soil.

Or what about that castle? Could it have been the center of such happiness? No that would be unfair and forceful. No Princess endorsed by Celestia would use such an unusual method. Frankly.. he couldn't tell if that castle was an eye-sore or a beautiful statue to demonstrate the power of the Matriarchal society that was the peaceful, almost entirely care-free world of Ponies.

Still it weren't commonplace to tip his hat or bow so many times passing through a town of so few! And so colorful; various shapes, sizes and breeds. Normally bygones were bygones and generally the species separated or even ideologies entirely. And frankly he were used to Zebra and the species of Whitescar.. Ibex, Earthborn, Antelope, Deer... an incredible variety with only a few almost purely PONY settlements. This were short of incredible; he'd forgotten what it was like to live in a country populated by HIS kind. Then again he'd almost forgotten what it felt like to be a harmonious Unicorn as well but his refined nature and keen sense of compassion and judgment made him passable. So long as nopony asked something dark and personal of him you could hardly tell he weren't an Equestrian citizen if he weren't dressed in such an odd fashion.

The settlement certainly felt transcendent to him and only him. Roam still had it's occasional swindler and thief, even gangsters. As did Manehattan have it's greedy higher-ups... So-stated by the rather furious, hidden emotions contained deep within one of his new-found acquaintences; Steam Metal. How he wished that encounter had gone a little more smoothly but perhaps it was best left on the backburner. It wasn't his job to spread happiness... Only dish out his unusual nature of justice. He weren't a police officer, or even a Royal Guard.

No... and best they all not know that the kindly, smiling stallion warmly being accepted into their town for only the brief while.. it's best they not know what it meant to be an Keeper of the Inquisition. Perhaps he could share that with Princess Twilight Sparkle. But not to them.

The shadows and reflective light pooled over him as he descended under the mighty gait of that ginormous crystal castle. Absolutely genuine it must have been worth... an inconceivable amount of coin had it been naturally built but.. He sorely doubted that. In fact some ponies had been right in believing the rumor that it had sprouted much like a normal tree; A sign that Twilight's rule was a true and noble one. Of course he wasn't here to ogle the tree in the slightest. And being so close to it had left him a might bit speechless.

Tall, brown.. dressed in a rare Equitarian cloak that had been made years before he ever aqquired it; a wide sunhat adorned on him concealing such a shiny blue eyes and a tall, powerful looking horn. And yet he was only so much older than her. Meeting with royalty almost 2/3's his own age. He was brimming with excitement and a strange sense of fear.

The castle seemed fairly unguarded which was trademark of anywhere but Canterlot; he could recall from the earlier years the city being adorned in the Praetorian Guards who so diligently served Celestia's every whim and acted as an extension of her will to the smallest dash of the law. Why here, the lankish stallion could stride right up to the door and knock if he so felt like it. In fact that's quite literally what Umekile had done. With his long cloaks just dragging on the soft earth beneath his outgrown fetlocks the male stops before the mighty double-doors of Twilight's sanctuary... And Headquarters to the Elements of Harmony. Only now was he truly feeling the sheer weight of the importance in them. More than ever before. This were Equestria's greatest weapon; only ever used for good. Alas that it couldn't extend itself to beyond the realms of little Equines. But such a wish would require he trade away his adventures.

And perhaps he had the right to be a little selfish in his thoughts... For the better of everypony.

What if she did not like how he presented himself? Steam Metal did say Twilight was rather easy-going. Would she even respond positively to his outdated courtesies? Hay, would she find his voice aggravating and only hustle his leave? The Aspiring Wizard had only asked for a few hours of her time, after all. If he could not maintain that, then surely he'd done something wrong.

Well... no sense in letting your fears claim action. Not that it outweighed his intrigue. His horn glows; fixing his cloaks, straightening the saddlebags under them and readjusting his hat. Going so far as to briefly polish the brooch holding his wears together at the chest. Umek almost never wore his hoof; he much preferred the dark brown sun shield. Why bother clearing his throat? Who knows...

His sapphire magic latched hold of the clammering handle on the castle's bulk crystal-wood doors... And pounds loud enough to be heard as a thundering, alerting echo through the halls of the Grand Fortress of Harmony. Looks like Twilight's guest had arrived.

Twilight Sparkle walked towards the foyer of her castle, waiting for her unknown guest to arrive. To say that she was completely calm would be a lie. While she had no problem meeting new ponies, the fact that she had not met this pony other than through a letter made her on guard slightly. She chalked it up to a certain event where a unicorn entered her castle unannounced and almost destroyed the future of Equestria with her magic.

"Breathe Twilight," she said trying to calm her nerves, "That was a one time thing. You are the Princess of Friendship and should be open to everypony."

With her resolve restored, she reached the foyer where the doors to the castle had yet to be opened for the day. She was about to open them with her magic when she heard a loud booming sound from the other side. Maybe a door knocker wasn't the best idea, but it did its job. She maintained a relaxed royal pose as she opened the door with her magic. She foun on the other side a unicorn stallion dressed in a very interesting cloak, hat and brooch that concealed part of his appearance.

"Welcome to the Castle of Friendship. My name is Twilight Sparkle, and may I assume you are Umekile?" she said slowing her speech on the stallion's speech so as not to botch the pronunciation.

Waiting for her had begun to feel like an eternity cocked into a short few minutes. His hoof gently clicking at the ground beneath him whilst he slowly attained a confident composure. He were no Shining Armor when it came to muscle... fit as he attempted to be, the stallion was alas quite the light build; something his father had always pointed out at a young age way back when. But that did not mean he couldn't proudly puff himself up and await to give the Princess his highest regard.

Then again, Steam Metal had told him to be less than royal-formal.

His innards tightened when the door began to open; erupting unto his face a gorgeous foyer of crystal and the voice of a girl younger than himself. How he'd waited to begin attending to her details with excitable inquiry. He must admit.. it quite the unusual unveiling. For when her voice gifted his curling, outgrown ears; tingling the long, dark tan furs for a moment he'd believe her were speaking to anypony hailed from Canterlot... not the voice of an Alicorn he'd been expecting.

Actually he thought himself blind for a moment... visibly contorting his face when only a sharp purple horn and just the top of her mane and ends of lovely little eyelashes managed themselves into his peripheral line of sight. He were tall... not quite Luna tall but certainly exceeding Princess Cadenza. Puffing out his cheeks for a moment his eyes flare with surprise before his chin dips; his horn making a less-than articulate adjustment of his hat when his gaze fell upon the young Princess of Magic/Friendship.

"Mn-..", what an embarrassing sound to make; the first thing said to nobility in ten long years. This were a Princess? She were a delight to look upon. Boasting up her image until this very moment and yet here she stood; almost none of what he'd been meticulously expecting. Umekile purses his lips; a gentle blush falling over his cheeks when he'd come to realize just how stupid his one, subtle grunt might have made him appear.

His muzzle wrinkles and his eyes blink... ears rising while a very deep, pleased smile begins to cross his jolly, mystical face. Honestly he had butterflies! Not the romantic kind of course but my oh MY this were-

"Aha..", he begins, a soft laugh expelling from his lips, "I did not expect to be so.. pleasantly surprised.", lifting his hoof and clearing his throat against his long fetlock. Setting it back down with an echo of a CLACK which so rung through her foyer... removing his hat with his magic and slowly; almost inquisitively pressing it to his chest while his mane falls slack and free... perhaps in need of some grooming-but that could come later while in town. Not that he meant to appear so intrusive on the eyes but here he stands... amused but also impressed, "Forgive me, Princess...-Eghem-... I honestly thought you would be taller~", his soft, cultural accent(similar to Irish but a derivative based solely on how those from where he comes from speak; it's not the same just similar) warming from his gentle expression. Eyes glistening with great delight, "Yes. I am.", and gives her a gentle bow of the head, "And. It is.. wonderful to finally make your acquaintance."

As she was greeted by the wizard, Twilight expected a greeting, but what she got instead was him just staring at her. Perhaps the traveling unicorn had not seen Princesses in a while. It wasn't like there were many like her around, but certainly seeing one was interesting. But there was something else as the stallion let out an incomprehensible noise. Did her new form render a stallion unable to speak?

"I did not expect to be so.. pleasantly surprised," he said trying to recover from his strange greeting, Princess...-Eghem-... I honestly thought you would be taller. Yes. I amAnd. It is.. wonderful to finally make your acquaintance."

"Surprised huh? I think you're the first pony to be surprised at me not being as tall as Princess Celestia or Luna. They were, however, born as Alicorns which lent to their different anatomy whereas i became one. But i digress. It is great meeting your acquaintance as well. Have you been to Ponyville before?" 

She was quick to at least explain why she weren't quite as large as what he'd been predisposed to. It made sense to him; in fact he were well aware of the ascension process but to be honest he hadn't been expecting anypony to be gifted such a responsibility anywhere in the world, righteously nor within his own lifetime and yet here she stands: Princess Twilight Sparkle.

Those wings were quite a sight to behold when combined with a slowly growing horn to match her gently increasing level of power. Such was the nature of their anatomy. While it did technically act as a classification or titular label; there was SOME magic to be gained and amplified through the transformation and it became clear to him that Twilight Sparkle were undergoing just that.

"Let us just hang a hat on the fact that the only Alicorn I have ever laid eye upon was only Princess Celestia herself... I understand Luna were just as imposing some millennia ago~ But since her return she is another wonder of the world I'll need to catch a glimpse of.", he does curve his lips into a strong smile however, "I've been here once before.. Perhaps a decade or so now. Aha. And you were right about your castle. Quite slightly.", his eyes glance up, exploring the crystalline rafters and massive hulk of the foyer alone coupled with the banners and décor.

But since she'd technically invited him in the self-proclaimed wizard finally steps fully through her doors, "I'm certain we have much to share. If you would be willing to sit down for coffee with me, Princess.", after all the clarity of his letter being one to hosting him and becoming friendly didn't make such a statement too foreign, "Ehm- do you prefer Coffee? Or Tea? I always knew Princess Celestia to have been a tea drinker.. Why it's practically painted on the walls of some cafe's in Canterlot-", he lifts a fetlock; gently rubbing his fluffy chin with his wrist, "-Personally a coffee kind of stallion, myself... Never was one for Tea.. Sweet tea perhaps, but nothing classical. Never suited my taste.", he chuckles, hoping she wouldn't find a little banter impolite or odd.

Conversation had to be initiated somehow! Why not ask for a drink?

Twilight smiled as the stallion tried to explain why he was staring at her. So it was that he hadn't seen a Princess before except for Celestia a while ago. It was strange though the way that he wanted to glimpse the other Princesses like somepony would glimpse at a statue. Was he here just to stare at her? 

"I've been here once before.. Perhaps a decade or so now. Aha. And you were right about your castle. Quite slightly."

"Well, I came here only a few years ago, so I probably missed seeing you then. Yes, the castle is amazing. I sometimes am surprised that I live here. Before this I lived in a house which was a tree... and a library." 

The stallion was very forthright in his request to sit and have coffee with her, but then again nothing was done without somepony requesting it. At any rate this was what the stallion requested. 

"Ehm- do you prefer Coffee? Or Tea? I always knew Princess Celestia to have been a tea drinker.. Why it's practically painted on the walls of some cafe's in Canterlot. Personally a coffee kind of stallion, myself... Never was one for Tea.. Sweet tea perhaps, but nothing classical. Never suited my taste."

"I've had coffee before, but I actually prefer tea. I guess I have princess Celestia to blame for that. Anyway, I have reserved a small meeting room for you, and I believe that tea, coffee and snacks are ready. Follow me, and I'll show you a few places along the way, starting with here." 

She gestured around the area where they were standing, a large round room with a high vaulted ceiling. 

"So this is the foyer where I greet all guests, just like you. It's also large enough for small gatherings." 

With such a large castle he hadn't the slightest clue why they needed to seclude their time together in one, small room. But by his figure perhaps the young Princess liked to sit down and gather her thoughts. A real studious type from what he could tell.. the kind of mare who could sit at a table and read book after book in order to construct one simple theorem. Not HIS style persay but not something he hadn't done in the past.

It was very enlightening as their conversation divulged into a tour. And there was a charm added to their voices when carried by the slightest echo. Though this stallion was very lax as opposed to Twilights very official and formal method, "Oh yes. Very lovely architectural design.. But I'd heard that it practically sprouted just like a tree.. Aha. I have seen many magical occurances in my short lifetime; aberrations to Great Wyrms.. I've seen Trees that can pull themselves off the forest floor and stomp out a pesky beaver but I have NEVER seen a castle grow from the earth. Especially not one made of crystalline rock." Seemed Equestria had such an excess of harmonious magic to pull even the most unusual of stunts such as spawning this fortress of friendship.

Though the Princess were the one giving the tour it seemed he was quite eager; enough to stroll at a pace quicker than her own. Though that could have been attributed to his elongated legs. His cloak dragging along the floor beneath them ever so slightly, it's golden trim shimmering off the light refracted from her crystal walls, "These banners are quite gorgeous.. The halls of Whitescar's nobles or Maretopia's Archpriests would CERTAINLY feel rivaled here. Haha~"

Those lengthy ear furs really drew out.. giving him not only a strange appearance but really added to the bizarre effect of his man facial expressions. "I can imagine you throw quite the swarray here. These corridors alone could host an array of tables and attractions... Mn.. Though I must say, I'm surprised by the lack of Guards."

"Well, what you hear was right," Twilight said as they passed from the foyer area, "The castle did sprout from the ground like a tree which maybe why it looks the way it does. It's a long story as to how it happened, but when it did it was as much a surprise to me as I'm sure it was to others in town. I guess you can say it's a side effect of defeating a very dangerous enemy."

Mentioning that event brought a little shudder to her body, but every day that the Alicorn was in a state of harmony, those memories became less and less. The stallion was admiring the size of the hallways and banners that hung in the foyer but mentioned the lack of guards.

"I have guards actually, but only a few. I don't really feel the need to have them follow me wherever I go. Despite certain events Ponyville is still a friendly and safe place, and to have guards with me would only make meeting me harder, less natural. I mean, if you saw me flanked by two guards, would you be so open to greeting me as easy?"

The two made their way down a hall with many doors leading to certain rooms. She bypassed many of them, think he didn't want to see storage areas and small meeting rooms. But there was one place she did stop at, a set of double doors that opened into an empty but ornate room with a throne on a dias. It wasn't nearly as opulent as Celestia or Luna's thrones but still looked regal.

"And here is the throne room where ponies can come if they have questions or if there are any conflicts that need resolving. Of course they can stop in and say hello too!" 

That made sense to him. At least when faced with Equestrian values, not so much the values of those beyond Crimsonrine or even into Maretopia or Unyasi. But those were stories for if Princess Twilight asked. And at the rate they were going... the prospect seemed a ways off for him. Not neccasarily a bad thing either, as the lovely mare would probably not wish to hear of the bad things happening in places not-so harmonious, "Very trusting and very faithful I see. Hmhm. You do not let all that power and politics go to your head one bit then. Good. This is Equestria after all."

"I suppose in such a peaceful, loving land there wouldn't be much need to employ a constant overwatch. I understand Ponyville did fine without one until your castle did sprout anew.", he smiles over the matter as they continue on their way.

The tour wasn't much at this rate. It was lovely to see the inconsistencies between one castle and the next; after all he'd visited many. How the layout could be something completely otherworldly or suited to a more medieval taste. It wasn't so much the presentation... more like the variety in the collection of his memories. And to see a castle modeled after a tree grown to the size of a small skyscraper? Well this was certainly the most unusual of castles UMEK had ever been given the courtesy of trekking through, "Your home is very lovely, yes indeed.." perhaps a bit too crystalline and deep purple/blue for his taste but you couldn't always get what you wanted now could you? Were it his own castle... He would be perfectly content.

The doors to the Princess' personal throne room. Wishfully thinking Twilight would pardon his intrigue... he just wanted to have himself a closer look, "Aha~ Where the Lady does make her royal decrees? My my..", his whistle echoes up into the rafters of her tall ceiling, "Very prestigious, Princess.", his tone a little taunting, yet at that same time very swelled with approval.

Should she have anything to say and if not then the tall, brown stallion rejoins her, "Do you often have conflict here?"

"You do not let all that power and politics go to your head one bit then. Good. This is Equestria after all."

"Yes, well I am aware of the different political machinations other lands may have and yes even other ponies within Equestria, but politics don't concern me beyond seeking peace. As for power, I admit there are time that I underestimated my own magical power, but thankfully I rectified those moments. And you're right, with power comes responsibility." 

"Aha~ Where the Lady does make her royal decrees? My my.."

"Well, typically I make decrees in town where everypony could gather. The throne room is where ponies can visit me if they have a question or if there is some conflict involved between ponies. As for conflicts, most of them are minor. We have our share of monsters threatening the stability of Equestria and the ponies that live within, but thankfully these are few and far between. That is something I am aware of when I became a Princess, even before getting a castle. While I am happy of the title, it comes with the consequence of Ponyville being possibly open to conflict. Anyway, let's move from here to the meeting room." 

Twilight and Umekille left the spacious throne room and proceeded down the hall where there were a number of doors. 

"If you're interested in seeing more of the castle, I think we'll have time afterwards. But for now I think you're interested is talking to me about history." 

They got to a particular door which Twilight opened with her magic, revealing a small room with a few overstuffed chairs in a horseshoe arrangement. It was a cozy place, one where friends or at least small groups could gather. 

"So, before we begin, would you like something to eat or drink?" 

"Why I would like that very much.", Aside from what he was 'officially' here for.. a simple, casual conversation or even the chance to share stories and magical theories sounded darn-well like his kind of evening to him.

"You seem to have figured yourself out quite well in the time you've spent under Celestia's tutelage... I can't quite recall off the tip of my horn but I believe I'd mentioned in my letter that I'd attended my last days in Academy right around the time you'd been taken as the Princess Protege?", the statement certainly mused him as they came into this small yet comfy-looking space to relax and share a chat with. As for food and drink he did notice the setup she'd mentioned at the door; a whole array of tea, coffee, snacks and the likes. Why he'd settle for sugar cookies and a crescent lipped with butter.

Like a series of invisible machines he'd already started to pour and prepare his food. Cutting to the chase as he'd rather not waste her time, "Ah well, don't mind if I do~", swooning around, cloaks swaying with his weight as well as his tail and mane... when he took a sip of a freshly prepared cup of caffeine his ears twitched up, "Ooh!... Hsss.. Hot.", not enough cream it would seem.

But while he amended said mistake, added a few dribbles of smooth white half his eyes do continue to linger on the Princess, "Where was I.. Ah yes~ Hmhm. Not one Canterlot's Finest I'd tell you. My learning ability was near savant.. but.. I couldn't keep up with the paperwork I'm afraid. So many responsibilities weighing on me at the time... I regret not setting my compass straight- or rather.. I used to regret that. Can't say I'd be as interesting as I am if I'd been holed up as any ordinary Mage.", he chuckles, lifting the cup to hail her politely before taking a much more refined sup, "Mmn- apologies. I've been eager to meet you that I'm starting to lose my sense of direction. And.. Yes I suppose it would be nice to know the status of my home country. An official statement by the Princess herself would be quite a treat."

"You seem to have figured yourself out quite well in the time you've spent under Celestia's tutelage... I can't quite recall off the tip of my horn but I believe I'd mentioned in my letter that I'd attended my last days in Academy right around the time you'd been taken as the Princess Protege?"

Twilight Sparkle wasn't foaled yesterday. She could tell when a pony was sending certain signals towards her. All the compliments and awkward greeting by Umekille pointed towards one inevitable fact: he was flirting with her. It was flattering that she, a pony who once received only a moderate attention as a unicorn, now seemed to receive an outpouring of attention. Some of which was simple interest while in this case it was deeper. Even so, she sometimes had to step back and not be suffocated by the attention. Perhaps this little request for a little history lesson was an excuse for the wizard to strike up a conversation. Still, Twilight decided to wait and see what would happen next. 

"Well, I'm not sure if I figured out everything. I'm still getting used to being a Princess and the power, responsibility, and attention I receive." 

She let the word "attention" hang a little as if to remind the stallion that she was not blind to his flattering comments and the way his eyes wandered looking at her.

"There are times at night that I wonder if I'll go to sleep and upon waking the next day find this was all a dream. No castle, no being a Princess, no becoming an Alicorn, just being a unicorn again. It's kind of silly that I think about it that way, as I know this is real just as I know you're really talking to me here, but it's still an unexpected change. As for being at Princess Celestia's School, I'm sorry but I don't remember seeing you there. Of course that was probably the fact that I was studying under Celestia at the time, and that I often at that time had my nose in a book and not focused on the world around me!" 

She giggled at her past awkward self as Umekille helped himself to the array of breakfast treats. As she selected a crossant and began to prepare a tea, she heard the stallion shout as he sipped his drink which might have been too hot for his liking. Luckily he rectified the situation as the two settled in the nearby seats, Twilight sitting across from him to give her full attention. 

"Where was I.. Ah yes~ Hmhm. Not one Canterlot's Finest I'd tell you. My learning ability was near savant.. but.. I couldn't keep up with the paperwork I'm afraid. So many responsibilities weighing on me at the time... I regret not setting my compass straight- or rather.. I used to regret that. Can't say I'd be as interesting as I am if I'd been holed up as any ordinary Mage.", he chuckles, lifting the cup to hail her politely before taking a much more refined sup, "Mmn- apologies. I've been eager to meet you that I'm starting to lose my sense of direction. And.. Yes I suppose it would be nice to know the status of my home country. An official statement by the Princess herself would be quite a treat."

"Well, I wasn't much of a magic expert when I started. I could barely turn a page of a book as a filly with my magic let alone do the spells I've done now. But even if you didn't have a goal when you were in school, you seem to have found your way, or at least from what you mentioned in your letter. As for an official statement about the country, I suppose I can do that. In general, Equestria continues to flourish. Production of crops and manufacturing has increased to suit the needs of the population while providing a modest surplus for those in need and in case of lean times. Interactions between Equestria and other nations have remain largely stable to allying with this land. Young ponies are able to receive a good education that focuses on their talents and how to apply them along with the necessary life skills. Society is moving ahead while holding true the lessons of the past and our history. Overall, ponies I've met are satisfied with their level of living."

She paused as she took a sip before continuing, "But not all is perfect. With the spread of harmony so too comes the emergence of those who wish to spread disharmony. Individuals such as Queen Chrysalis and Tirek who seek to take over Equestria to exploit the land and the ponies living there for the sake of gaining power have threatened the safety and happiness, but thankfully these events are few and far between and those mentioned threats have been dealt with. It is my hope that in increasing harmony and good will, that these moments of fear are lessened. And that basically sums up the state of Equestria. May I ask though since you wish to know about Equestria so much why you chose to leave? Is it to learn from other lands or something else?" 

As for not remembering his face he was not surprised and hardly looked upset. To hear that such a young filly which would normally be the kind of creature to be about frolicking happily with an array of other tiny friends had instead delved into books and the art of magic didn't exactly NOT remind him of himself. Though only to an extent. Umekile could recall a small hoofful of unicorns he'd associated with during his academy time. And of course back home; though they were earthborn ponies then.

"Hmhm.", his smile showcases how amusing the memory trip had been coupled with Twilight's stories, "I didn't anticipate you would remember me, regardless. Suppose it were just a neat little fact. And to be perfectly honest with you... back then I'm positive I did not see you either. Wrapped up my work and my books. This is quite possibly the first time I've ever laid eyes on you.", he makes gesture only with his sapphiric gaze and my was she not a pretty thing. His hooves crossed in a relaxed posture while his cup of coffee floats gently unto his lips. Hazelnut has always been a favorite.

As for Twilight's assumption regarding any flirtation well.. Would it have been more flattering if he'd just left it out entirely? She was a lovely sight to behold of course.. didn't most stallions see her in that light? Maybe it was his time outside of Equestria that made such actions vividly obvious? Well... perhaps he'd see somepony about that later~ Even the slightest emphasis on that last word had clicked in his mind; that she were eluding to something. Perhaps something he had been doing wrong? Had he insulted her? Though as it finally clicked her eyes close, and a gently grin begins to creep across his muzzle, "In due time, I'm sure~", the culmination of Student Mage to Equestrian Royalty did sound like quite a leap to make. Nothing he had particular taste in to be perfectly honest, the idea of becoming famous simply because your blood made it so was... lackluster. It was too easy. Though in Twilight's case she in fact had earned it which made it a feat fit for admiration. Somepony he could in fact take a step back and at such a young age? Willfully take a knee.

Should she ask him to bow. Though in all likeliness the stallion would do so anyway. It was just a custom to him after all; a tip of the hat, a bow of the head, dropping to a knee... with flare or without? It was all courtesy to him and at times it could even be Curtsy.

"Well, I wasn't much of a magic expert when I started. I could barely turn a page of a book as a filly with my magic let alone do the spells I've done now. But even if you didn't have a goal when you were in school, you seem to have found your way, or at least from what you mentioned in your letter. As for an official statement about the country, I suppose I can do that. In general, Equestria continues to flourish. Production of crops and manufacturing has increased to suit the needs of the population while providing a modest surplus for those in need and in case of lean times. Interactions between Equestria and other nations have remain largely stable to allying with this land. Young ponies are able to receive a good education that focuses on their talents and how to apply them along with the necessary life skills. Society is moving ahead while holding true the lessons of the past and our history. Overall, ponies I've met are satisfied with their level of living."

She paused as she took a sip before continuing, "But not all is perfect. With the spread of harmony so too comes the emergence of those who wish to spread disharmony. Individuals such as Queen Chrysalis and Tirek who seek to take over Equestria to exploit the land and the ponies living there for the sake of gaining power have threatened the safety and happiness, but thankfully these events are few and far between and those mentioned threats have been dealt with. It is my hope that in increasing harmony and good will, that these moments of fear are lessened. And that basically sums up the state of Equestria. May I ask though since you wish to know about Equestria so much why you chose to leave? Is it to learn from other lands or something else?" 

Equestria had been through quite a bit in these last few years under the protection of the Elements. He had even come to know rumors in regards to the King of Shadows lurking deep into the North and had already been swept under the table. Was there no obstacle they could not handle? It were almost as though Umek were on vacation here. So accustomed to dealing with problems side-by-side or alone in distant, far away lands to great scale yet never world-threatening. Or perhaps... should he wish to comfort himself~ Many of the errors he had righted had the potential to become a great threat one day; some at least. "Commendable work you've done.", Umekile smiled, running a hoof along the rim of his coffee cup, "It would be folly to say I'm Impressed... for that compliment falls short." he laughs gentle.

But the change of pace had come in the form of a surprise. Twilight noticeably perked him up when she asked why he'd left Equestria. And it wasn't a bad question... why WOULD somepony leave a shining Utopia? "Hmmm... You are asking for a life's story with that question, My Lady.", followed by a gentle sip of coffee.

"I didn't anticipate you would remember me, regardless. Suppose it were just a neat little fact. And to be perfectly honest with you... back then I'm positive I did not see you either. Wrapped up my work and my books. This is quite possibly the first time I've ever laid eyes on you."

"Well, there's always a first time in meeting new ponies," Twilight said as she sipped her tea, taking note the way the stallion flashed his eyes at her. It was clear that he didn't come for the state of the nation that he grew up in. She supposed it was a bit of a nostalgic trip to learn what happened during his absence, but Twilight knew this was for him to talk to her. Well, he certainly wasn't threatening and was nice to talk to. 

"Hmmm... You are asking for a life's story with that question, My Lady."

"Um... yes. I'm always curious to know why ponies choose the path that they are on now. Take my friends. One followed the path that her family laid out for her. Another chose something that seemed to be the complete opposite of her life as a filly. And another came upon her current life by accident! So if you don't mind I'd like to know about you, especially what you've seen in your travels. I may be a Princess, but I haven't ventured everywhere in Equestria and beyond." 

It wasn't very often he got the chance to tell somepony about himself. Normally he passed it off with a simple 'scholarly type' or 'adventurer' but she was asking for a true origin story of himself. That distinct 'yes' answer couldn't have been mistaken any other way so the Stallion quickly righted himself in his seating, clearing his throat and having a patient sip of his coffee while his eyes carefully averted to only her lovely eyes. So what if he chose to flirt around a little?... if anypony suited his tastes - that being scholarly, spell-minded and a little aloof? - it was actually.. ironically this Princess. Of course that didn't mean he'd go much further beyond his subtly looks and hinted flatterings.

His long fetlocks merge and cross over while his horn glows, fixing his cloaks comfortably passed his sides, "Hm. Well... Suppose we both have plenty of time on our hooves."

"Eghem!~... Well I might not have mentioned it in my letter as to where I had been born but I'm positive you gathered by now it was not anywhere near Ponyville or Canterlot... Not even Manehattan, Hoofington.. I was born in the southlands. A small settlement that you'll see on one out of every two maps regarding Equestria. A village named Hefferlin.", he runs his hoof along the rim of his drink, "Small little town.. The population not even close to the sum of Ponyville. No more than.. oh~.. 150? At least ten years ago that were pretty close to the exact number."

It was looking as though he was starting to really belt out his memory, "A village I'm sure won't surprise you when I tell ye it was agricultural.", as most small populations tended to be, "Mmn I can remember my home...", Umek muses, glancing off to the window, "Massive, waving fields of wheat stalks... You could say it turned the land gold in the right lighting... Blue skies... So much green. Oh and we had so many creeks flowing through town.. levying throughout the land and feeding the crop. The wind was always swell in the summer times-"

Umekile stopped, realizing he were on a tangent, "Well...", he reoriented himself then, "I had been born a very.. unusual son. There had only ever been unicorn blood running through my family lines some dozen generations ago. The odds of being born a Caster was... darn well near one in a few hundred or so.", those long, furred ears erect with a sheeply smile, "I like to think my Father had the more shocked of my parents expressions when he'd first seen me. A whole line of earth ponies... then surpriiiise. What do you name him?", he seemed to ask nopony in particular, looking to the farside of the room, "Why they hadn't the slightest clue."

"Hmm... Hefferlin," Twilight said as Umekille mentioned his hometown, "I don't think I've heard much about that village. I've been to small villages before like Appleoosa and Dodge Junction, but the farthest South I've been is Manehattan. It sounds very nice living there with its pastoral setting. 

"I had been born a very.. unusual son. There had only ever been unicorn blood running through my family lines some dozen generations ago. The odds of being born a Caster was... darn well near one in a few hundred or so.", those long, furred ears erect with a sheeply smile, "I like to think my Father had the more shocked of my parents expressions when he'd first seen me. A whole line of earth ponies... then surprise. What do you name him?", he seemed to ask nopony in particular, looking to the farside of the room, "Why they hadn't the slightest clue."

"Yes, it is an anomaly when a family of a certain pony type has another type as a foal. I do know an earth pony family that had a unicorn and a Pegasus foal at once. It must have been a challenge growing up with ponies who exhibit a different type of magic." 

Archived