The Great Equestrian Consort Audition (Open- See OOC)

SteelEagle

TwiBanner_zpsvi6knv7w.png

Even if she was not one of the most powerful users of magic in Equestrian history, she would have been on top of this game. Because she, unlike others, paid a healthy amount of attention to the intelligence services and what they had said. Her Keepers helped form a portion of them, but she had directed a lot of funding that normally went into beautification and other projects for royal holdings into the intelligence forces instead. She didn't need to have the finest comforts; after the events of the Crystal Faire, she just wanted to be safe. So even if she was an average pony with royal blood who just happened to read what she was being given, she'd know about Kahz. Changeling who was still loyal to Chrysalis, but wasn't here as part of an invasion. He sought peace between them. This was a noble goal. She wasn't sure if she was willing to believe that but this was going to be their first interaction. She was keeping an open mind.

But again, she wasn't a normal pony. Even if she had never read a report she would know he was a changeling. The castle was enveloped in multiple layers of magical barriers and as one got closer to the throne, it only increased. If she cared to listen, she could know every physical detail of a pony as well as their aetheral signature. For a Changeling, she would get a trigger that he was not how he looked, and then the aether signature would be examined. It would come back with all the tell-tale signs of Changeling magic. She knew he was a Changeling by the time he opened the door, then she saw teh form he had taken. You could tell a tremendous amount about a changeling by the form they took, she had come to learn through studies, interrogations, and examination. Those who took splendid forms wanted the attention and were often the troublemakers. The ones who took more mundane forms were often more dangerous, but infinitely less troublemaking for the average pony.

He had taken a mundane form and momentarily seemed taken aback. This was the sort of scenery he was not accustomed to no doubt, and it took him a while to let it sink in. Then he approached with politeness and spoke- eventually more or less asking her to reveal what they both knew to be true. She smiled weakly before her horn lit up. Next to him appeared from the aether a mirror formed of magic, which reflected only what was on the inside- in the aether, who you truly were. And reflected in that was not his pony form, but Kahz the Changeling. "I could say it out loud, but my words could carry and start a panic amongst the Guards. So, how would you like to be referred to?" she said calmly, allowing him to take this meeting in whichever way he wanted.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That... was not much of a surprise at all, really.  Of course Princess Twilight Sparkle would have a magical mirror that ripped aside all disguises as if changeling glamour meant no more than a bedsheet ghost costume for Nightmare Night.  Why wouldn't she?  Nevertheless, Kahz knew that he couldn't let this throw him; if his mission was to be successful, he must carry it through with all the sang-froid at his disposal.

He checked out his reflection in the mirror, brushed back a strand of brown mane-like substance, and gave it a wink.  Looking good there, handsome!  "You may call me Heart Sight, your majesty."  His smile had never once even flickered, either in it's form or sincerity.  "I like to think it describes my own talent quite well; I can see to the heart of a situation as well as to a pony, or any other species, for that matter.  I have to admire, then, your sense of legal propriety.  You've accepted quite a disturbance to you daily routine, not to mention your foreseeable future.  Thus, I would say that you lean heavily towards the side of law as opposed to personal rule, which I admit is quite different from I've seen back home!  I wager we could learn a thing or two from each other, at least."

He chuckled, before clearing his throat.  "I hope you don't think I'm not treating this matter with equal seriousness; there are very few true opportunities available to one who wishes to turn a state of hostility into a state of... well, let's say amicability, at least."  What must those poor guards be thinking outside?  This conversation must be giving them enough to worry about, but not enough to say anything for certain.  He'd have to keep an ear out on the rumor mills for a little while; they'd be good for a laugh, at least.

So he was choosing to go with the cover story rather than the truth. That was fine. It said a lot, though in two very different ways. The first thing it said is he didn't want to cause a fuss. He wasn't here to stir the pot or cause trouble. He didn't want to be the source of consternation or have the attention turned to him, at least for what he was. It also said that he was more willing to take the fom of a pony than to allow the truth to be seen. He was an actor whose role was revealed when he, as the actor, was the story. It told her that while his intentions were likely fair, he wasn't willing to be entirely open to her. For a changeling who was here to improve relations, no big problem. But for a potential consort it was troubling. Still, it was his decision, and she wasn't going to force a certain sense of honesty. Let applicants come as they wish.

He spoke about how he respected her for what she was doing, bound as she was by law. That was good to hear. In all honesty it may be a bit of a shock to see a royal of a nation feeling bound by such things while Chrysalis no doubt did as she pleased. It was good to see that not every Changeling saw this as a necessary way of getting things done. His 'cutie mark' explanation worked well enough for a good diplomat, so the name was a nice touch. He had given thought to his cover story and what he was doing, which spoke well as to his decision to come here. There was a purpose, and while the Consort audition was a nice little cover, he was here mostly to make good on his desire to create less hostile ties. At least that was how she was reading it.

"You are correct. It is a law that has been long forgotten, but a Princess must abide by the laws set for her. It sets a good example, I think. Of course, it is very, very unusual to think of having a...consort...and such, but law is law. And in the end it will be a pleasant experience I believe. That is why my auditions are open to everypony who is a citizen. Casting a wide net and all that. But there are other things to discuss, I believe. A diplomat from that kingdom is more than unusual, it is unheard of. Why now? What can we possibly do together? There isn't any way she is willing to work hoof in hoof with us. I don't mean to be a downer, but I am very wary about anything involving her," she said plainly, not trying to put him off- but he needed to know the ground rules for how she felt.

It was true, that the skills of diplomacy in Kahz were stronger than his instincts for Honesty.  But, given the propensity of his species, could Twilight really blame him?  Of course, the only successful example he knew of changeling-pony couples was based on rather more open revelations than he was giving to the Princess now, so... yeah, he'd have to work the charm and reassurance angle pretty hard.

"I have to say, I was surprised that the line wasn't longer when I arrived.  Perhaps it's a very small subset that has the courage to approach.  I've always found myself, though, that courage generally gives you more chances in life.  I gave Fate every opportunity I could to work on my behalf, and I don't think I would have survived until now, otherwise."  A little bit of self-revelation there, accompanied by a smile and implied compliment.  Kind words and tone came naturally from his mouth, which he would have been the first to admit was unusual for a changeling.  It was certainly good for him that he was a diplomat!

Speaking of which, Princess Twilight had presented her first hurdle of hesitation.  And it was a fair one; after all, her own experiences of Queen Chrysalis were significantly more narrow than his own.  She'd only seen her as war-monger, with no clue whatsoever of the true domestic situation of the Hive.  Fortunately, he'd already been a clever little 'ling, and set up his counter-argument beforehoof.  "I understand.  But there is one advantage to personal rule, which is responsiveness.  It's a lot easier to change minds than to change constitutions, after all.  Frankly, most of us were skeptical too that anything positive could come out of open dealing; it was assumed that upon discovery, we'd be booted out or squashed.  But, recent events and discoveries have come to challenge that assumption, and when you combine that with the current abysmal results that hostility has brought us... peaceful alternatives have increased in attractiveness dramatically.  Please understand, I'm not pledged in service to an ideologue, raised from birth to be a conquerer of your people.  She cares for her own, as all rulers would."

Kahz was certainly courageous for coming here today and in the manner that he did, even if he hid behind a useless facade. And it was also very true that he was simply using the abilities of his people. The frightening and deceitful abilities of his people, but abilities they had all the more. She wouldn't fault him for that and she would honor his courage. Could she trust all of it? maybe not. Changelings were hard to trust based on history, and those who chose to take and remain in pony form even when discovered even more so. But she would respect his courage and respect him enough to give this individual the benefit of the doubt, even if she wasn't all too keen on who he answered to.

As for the turnout- well, she wasn't expecting the doors to be brought down by the weight of charging applicants. Most, despite her decree, likely thought themselves unworthy applicants. A great deal many others were simply too shy, or worried that revealing themselves to her could only end poorly. It took a lot of intestinal fortitude to make your way to a Royal's residence and tell them why you should become their closest, most intimate pony and confidante. Despite her friendly nature and persona, not many would risk her scorn. every applicant was honored by her simply for having the bravery to come here. "I'm not surprised by the turnout. It is a very small section of any populace that would throw themselves at a royal they respect- or at least I hope they respect me- for such a role. They likely fear being scorned or embarrassed, while many others likely think themselves unworthy despite my proclamations," she sighed and shook her head with a heady chuckle, "I guess that means that whoever does come deserves my attention," snaps attention back to Kahz, "doesn't it?"

Even then, she believed some had to have ulterior motives. Kahz did. Even though this was for a specific audition, he was here partially to open up some sort of diplomatic channel. It was noble of him and as he spoke, she grew to like him more. But it was hard to really buy into what he said of Chrysalis even if the detached and analytical portion of her could see it to some extent. Too much had happened to her and her friends- Canterlot, Nightmare Night, that incident with Applejack- for her not to have some extreme bias against Chrysalis, something hard coded into her. And while Kahz and some other examples showed that not all changelings were mindless drones following their would be conqueress about like lap dogs, Twilight wasn't going to buy into them being more than exceptions that prove the rule.

"It is true that the hostility shown by Chrysalis has not worked well for your kind. It has always been sad to think of what the Changelings could be as opposed to what they are now under Chrysalis. And while Chrysalis may simply be a ruler who does what she can or thinks she must for her kind to you, to us, to me, she is the greatest villain of our time. Tirek was evil and Nightmare Moon terrifying, but what Chrysalis to the mind, body, and soul of a target is..." Twilight closed her eyes and looked down, shaking her head, "tragic...and cruel" she looked back up, her eyes betraying the sorrow of her memories, "worse than the others in many ways. It is one thing to have your magic torn from you or to have your world threatened. It is another to have the most innermost feelings you have been turned against themselves and collapsed, and to be little more than a feeding for another. I have a friend who was targeted by Chrysalis herself, and it is the sort of horror that nopony can help even her with.

So while I have every faith that you and I and maybe a great deal other Changelings and Equestrians could come to some sort of agreement, there is simply too much that Chrysalis herself has to answer for before we could ever really move forward," Twilight said with increasing vigor, ending with a flourish of stern appearance. But he had come during an interesting time, and the mood must be lightened. She shook her head again and laughed lightly.
"But beyond that, you HAVE arrived during the auditions for a new consort. So, Kahz, what makes you fit to be my consort?"

So, Twilight had expected the low turnout.  And Kahz had to agree with her analysis of the situation; it all came down to a lack of boldness.  "Nothing worthwhile in this life comes without courage.  Is it not a saying among your people, 'Faint Heart never won Fair Mare?'"  The diminutive 'stallion' chuckled.  "I like what one of the ancient Maretonian poets said a little better, though: 'It's not in the lot of mortals to deserve success.  But we'll do more, Sempronius; we'll attain it."  He tilted his head, frowning.  "Or was that from a parody?  I remember there were two versions of the line..."  He shook his head.  "Never mind, obscure readings, a little off-topic."

Not that going back on topic was any more comforting a proposition.  Obviously, Twilight had her reasons to be distrustful of Her Majesty, and as she soon revealed, the reasons went beyond matters of state hostility.  Though he was both a kind changeling, and a loyalist, Kahz rarely found himself conflicted as to his convictions.  This was one of those rare times.  But... but... well, when was the last time Equestria had faced a famine?  A real, mass-starvation shortage of food?  Not for a thousand years, at least.  Until such a time came, Kahz doubted whether any pony could understand the mindset of a changeling, and especially a changeling queen.  "I cannot make that any less horrible."  The little changeling said solemnly.  "I can, however, see about arranging a time and place for My Queen to speak for herself, if you will listen.  Whether the answer is satisfactory, I can't say."

Well, that wasn't fun at all.  Back to brighter business!  It was one thing to be bold, and put oneself in the running for the hoof of a Princess.  It was quite another to actually win.  "Well, before we discuss my good qualities, we may as well clear up the biggest obstacle.  If I'm to be your consort, every morning, you'll be faced with..."  He dropped his disguise in a flicker of green.  "This."  And that gesture alone proved he was an actor; holding his disguise only so that he could drop it at a dramatically appropriate moment.  His natural appearance was... arresting, to say the least.  As a changeling, he didn't cut an impressive figure.  In fact, it was slightly grotesque; his chitin was warped and bent so that he could never stand up quite straight, and he was short, product of nymphood malnourishment.  But his posture and eyes were full of energy, high spirits even.  This was not someone who was going to let life get them down.  And his smile!  It was the warmest thing a mouthful of fangs could achieve.  A pair of wings, barely functional, buzzed on his back, pushing a few strands of what looked like a brown mane over his compound eyes.  "Well?  Is this going to be a deal-breaker for you?"  He asked softly, much less fascecious in his tone than before.

Kahz was obviously a fish out of water, even as well spoken as he was. Too many sayings in too little time. It was a common tactic when you were trying to understand a culture. Their literature and their morals, their quotes and favorite little turns of phrase. You could learn a great deal from them. The important thing was to try and understand the lessons they were imparting and use them to inform your own attitudes in relation. "Yes, that is true. It takes courage to have love, because opening your most intimate emotions is a risk most won't take. As for the Maretonian quote- yeah, it is a parody of the famous Roaman quote. Kastrot in particular took umbrage at the idea they needed to deserve anything. They believed they were born into success- all they needed to do is want it. Attaining success was the right of nobility. Deserving success was the plight of plebeians, as far as they were concerned," she said with a chuckle, happy to be able to discuss some nice philosophy with one of her guests. He provided that over others, at least.

He tried to stay even, and she understood. For all of his relative kindness and well-meaning attitudes, he was still here more or less on behalf of his Queen. His Queen the enemy. The idea that until they had done something to repair the damage they had caused that Chrysalis would be allowed openly into an Equestrian city would be silenced by any number of ponies capable of stopping it, including herself. She had too much to answer for to simply be allowed to stroll into a meeting with royalty and be treated like an equal, and not someling with crimes to answer for. Twilight shook her head. "I appreciate your effort here Kahz, but we need some sign from her that she is willing to make up what damage she has done to us before we could even begin to consider allowing her entrance into Equestria in any official capacity. Sorry if that answer isn't what you want to hear, but the scars are felt everywhere and the wounding is still painful."

But the real focus of hers today was on the competition for consort. Towards that end he revealed his true form- a changeling, of course. If anypony saw this they might sound the alarm. In truth, Twilight would have done so until very recently. It was only events in the Crystal Empire that changed her perception of what was possible. He was fangy, stringy, had a tongue that looked better on a snake, and otherwise was very Changeling-y. She was non-plussed. She was far more into the intellectual capabilities and emotional abilities of a candidate, not their appearance. "I don't care about your appearance, Kahz. Though it does beg the question. Here, when you know I know you're a Changeling, you take the appearance of a pony. Yet when we discuss the life of a consort, you don't have the disguise up. Why do you think that is?"

Even the most generous critic could not call Kahz an expert in philosophy.  Truth be told, you really couldn't call him an expert on anything.  He was a universal amateur, but that had strengths as well as weaknesses.  While he had an amateur's skill for everything, he could also bring an amateur's ardor to everything.  He could dive in with eagerness and absorb any spare knowledge lying around, and set himself to any task to do it at least somewhat competently.  This held true especially for tasks that had little respect from the rest of his kin, or the rest of the world, for that matter.  

So it was with philosophy.  "Ah, you know, I had been about to counter that argument with my own experience, but there's probably something in the Kastroti view of success.  I mean, I certainly wasn't hatched into the highest caste in the Hive.  In fact, with this kind of body, I was considered even below it."  He gave a self-deprecating sort of smile as he related his story.  "I found that it wasn't enough to succeed in whatever task I found myself doing; I had to make other changelings happy that I succeeded.  Hive politics can get as petty and jealous as anywhere else, and those who rise too high too fast can breed resentment.  But I found that, if I could cheerfully do what no ling else was willing to do, other changelings... they came to like me.  As I came up in prominence, too, I remembered who was kind to me.  I was willing to stick my neck out, too, for several changelings who went against the general grain.  I don't know if you'd consider that virtue, or deserving, but I could never ignore the opinions of others about me.  I couldn't just reach out and take it, as it were."

The conversation now had taken a definite turn towards the personal.  Which was probably for the best, as the political angle was currently at a deadlock.  Kahz just didn't see Queen Chrysalis offering reparations on bended knee at this point, but who knew.  It might be worth bringing up to her, but she couldn't afford to look weak in front of all the other hives; the Hegemony was on shaky chitin as it was.  All those explanations, however, could probably wait for later.  He only nodded sympathetic understanding at Twilight's assessment, letting the subject drop for now.  After all, he had another important business in this conversation: A Princess to woo!

His efforts, however, were momentarily stymied by the alicorn's first question.  "Um..."  He realized that he had no intelligent answer for her; Kahz had been acting mostly on an instinct and flair for the dramatic.  "Er, well, I tend to be kind of showy, I guess?  I moonlight as a live musician, so I tend to structure my appearances like a performance.  Dramatic reveals of my true form at a musical crescendo, and all that."  A holed hoof came up to rub the back of his neck as he chuckled nervously.  "I mean, maybe there's some hidden psychological reason?  If you want to run an examination, I've got all day, and I don't mind giving it to you.  I don't know if you do, though."

Hearing Kahz speak reminded Twilight that experience was the greatest source of humble in the world, being used to batter the proud into submission and the would-be conquerors into potential peaceful neighbors. Or at least she would like to believe that to be the case. She doubted that there would ever be true harmony, but peace was possible if there were more Changelings like Kahz. Like others in such societies born into the lower classes, he had been forced to not only do well, but get the acknowledgement that he had been doing well. This could evolve anypony's attitude or, in his case anyling's attitude. Made him uniquely suited to his new role since his attitudes weren't entirely dictated from the demands of position from birth. In a nation where the common citizen was held in high regard, it was a good quality to have.

"You moonlight as a musician?" Twilight asked with a bit of amusement. Now that would be something. Writing from the viewpoint of a Changeling or a Changeling's interpretation of Equestria would be something else. "Anything I might know? What style?" Twilight asked with no real goal in mind there. It was just very interesting.  She had a musical taste that was a bit askew all things considered. She liked dance music and pop- she didn't mind the other styles per se(though country was a hard no) but she had her favorites. If he was a pop cover artist, she'd demand some performances. "A nice cover, I suppose. Allows you to entertain and if you don't become a star, you can blend into the background of a stage group of some sort," she said, not trying to be demeaning- it was smart! Much better than trying to be a star. 

"An examination won't be needed, Kahz. Not only do we not have the time, but I learned long ago that my psychiatry abilities are...umm, not subpar exactly, but not good. Best to leave that to the professionals. But I can still tell you what I think. You know I've seen Changelings and you knew I knew you were one, yet you remained a pony. That is because, Kahz, you work to make others comfortable with you. it isn't enough to do well or be good. You want it to be known, and you want it to work. Many can simply try to do well but the only way good work gets done is if you have somepony, or someling, who puts in that extra effort to ensure success. You do that It is very commendable," She said, nodding to let him know it was okay with an appreciative smile.

But enough philosophy and talk of psychology. There were lighter subjects at hoof. "So, earlier you spoke of your good qualities...?"

Kahz's grey eyes lit up with the joy that any artist feels when discussing the nature of his work.  "Stylistically?  I suppose I lean most towards rock, but probably to the more popular side.  I do a lot of cover work, in fact; kind of in my nature."  He grinned.  "Might not be able to completely take on the form of artists, but I can do the voice, alright!"  Inwardly, he kicked himself for not bringing any instruments; what if the Princess asked him for a demonstration?  Well, he supposed he could manage a capella, if the crystal castle here wasn't provided with the necessary.

"I tend to lead towards the starring role, if only because there are maybe two singers in the whole main Hive who can carry the stage, and I play backup for the other one.  Lovely as she is, she needs a break every once in a while."  He chuckled, smiling at the memory of a few good nights in the lounge.  Changelings may not be able to feed off each other's love, but that didn't mean that Kahz couldn't feel it when an audience was caught up in the groove.  "I actually took up the changeling look as my stage persona; the few test performances have gone surprisingly well.  The way I figure it is, most of Equestria hasn't actually seen a changeling firsthand before, undisguised, anyway.  If I'm the first one they see... that lays a foundation in the future for better attitudes.  So, the more prominent I make myself, the better.  Not quite how most of us do things, but, well, you saw where the old ways got us."

Passing lightly over the political note, he tilted his head as he listened to Twilight's amateur psychological assessment.  It... fit, really.  Kahz felt as changelings rarely do, that a pony had them bang to rights, and he tapped the chitin on his chest in acknowledgement.  "And they say I can see to the heart of the matter."  He said graciously, returning the appreciative smile.  Which was not a bad segue to the matter of his good qualities, arguably the qualifications to the post he was here to apply for!

"Well, I suppose I could start with the cliche about my looks not being much, but having a great personality.  Still, I have some degree of success and expertise in getting others to like being around me.  You'd be hard-pressed to find someling more dedicated to whatever task set before him, and not to put too fine a point on it, I think I'm pretty darned good at this whole darned diplomacy thing."  Humble as his experiences had made him, he couldn't resist the opportunity to boast a bit.  "I think I may be the only living sentient being who ever got my Queen and Your Princess Celestia to agree on something.  That was how the Friendship Expo in Manehattan got it's changeling exhibit.  Were you there?  That was where I gave my first public performance in Equestria.  Also, on a related note, I think I saw the first instance of an open, undisguised pony/changeling relationship there!  Apparently, the couple met in this very town!  Small world, huh?"

Rock was certainly one of the more popular styles out there today and she understood why. Melodic explosion of sound cascading in concert stereo. Thrumming beats and then a crescendo among the excitement of thousands. Rock was made for crowds, ponies were made for socialization. It also made sense for someling who wanted to perform to choose a style that allowed for it as well as some eccentricity without discomfort. Perfect style for a Changeling, really. "You'll have to indulge me at some point. A best of Kahz collection would be greatly appreciated," she joked, thinking that it would at least be a nice conversation starter with guests. Changeling musicians had that effect.

Speaking of, it was a surprise to hear that he was speaking of experiences in the hive. It was easy to imagine that Changelings were all mindless, emotionless drones who went about their days pointlessly. Little soldiers and spies who ate your love and destroyed your life and nothing else. Anypony who studied them knew this was different, but it was hard to divorce their actions from perception. The fact they had bands and entertainment and other assorted odds and ends wasn't supposed to surprise her, but it did, and only further verified the intellectual belief that they were simply predators of a more worrying sort like Griffons as opposed to something more vile. "Interesting. So there is music within the Changeling Kingdom?"

Now onto his good qualities. He did have a certain indefinable quality about him that got others to like him. Pascal's Agreement Theorem was an important psychological tool. To tell someone they're wrong, first show them how they're right. That same general trick, modified, worked well in personal interaction. He was very good at it. That made him an excellent diplomat and someling to speak with, offering up a bit of devil's advocacy along with powerful persuasion tools. From a consort, an aide, this was a powerfully effective tool to have. Nopony was perfect and having somepony intelligent enough to provide useful discussion was a boon.

What wasn't a boon as much was the Changeling exhibit at the Expo. It was fine and all, but just about anycreature could have attended it. It was even slightly worrying to believe that Chrysalis knew of it, as Twilight had simply assumed it was a initiative from lower-placed Changelings trying to foster dialogue. She also knew that Celestia and Chrysalis hadn't had anything approaching a dialogue about it. As sweet as some Changelings were, Chrysalis had a Capture/Kill-On-Sight order from the REA. The Expo also had a very low bar for entry. Hence why Maretonia had three booths. Still, it showed intelligence and initiative and she appreciated that. "I was there, yes. I was too busy trying to collect several Saddle Arabian Histories! Failed in that, but completed my collection later. And yes, I know that couple! Their revelation could have gone...better...but they're well liked enough."

Twilight may have made her request in jest, but Kahz was more than willing to treat it with seriousness.  Though, perhaps, not with solemnity!  "Heck, if you've got a recording studio handy, I could lay down a few tracks for you right now, special."  He grinned and winked at the Princess.  "Just a little EP to remember me by, if nothing else."  He still knew, with some degree of certainty, that his chances of becoming consort were a long shot, but he couldn't keep a rising degree of optimism from burgeoning in his heart.  It was enough to make him want to sing, for sure!

"Yep, you betcha there's music.  'If music be the food of love, play on!'"  Kahz dropped another famous Equestrian quote as he answered Twilight's next question.  While music, like other skills, had been allowed and cultivated for the sake of harvesting as much love as possible, recent efforts (assisted largely by him) had encouraged changelings to produce and enjoy music for themselves.  By no means were they experts, as Kahz had mentioned before, but it was there.  "It's not the art we excel the most in, however.  That would be architecture.  I don't know if you saw the construction we erected in Manehattan for the expo, but the speed and elegance of tower and tunnel construction seen there was by no means exceptional for us."  That advantage could be said to be biological as well as cultural, but detailed discussions of that topic could be saved until later.  After all, a consort ought to have a reserve of intelligent conversation; best not to blow it all in the interview!

Of course, getting the Expo off the ground had involved Kahz in what one might charitably call diplomatic chicaneries, presenting the idea to Chrysalis as a Fait accompli that it would be cheaper to facilitate than to stop, while simultaneously telling Princess Celestia that the whole thing was being done under the Queen's nose.  Which was technically true at the time of statement, of course, but the letter and spirit of truth had long beed divorced.  Still, if it's dodgy, but it works, everypony calls it sound policy.

"Yes... I heard about that."  He gave a sympathetic look as he recalled the tale.  "Naj told me about it later... we first met at the Crystal Faire, you know.  We both couldn't keep our disguises up under the circumstances, but the acceptance that we both found after the whole... incident is what encouraged me to pursue the peaceful path.  Strange how such things can be born from war, isn't it?"

(OOC- Sorry. I thought I posted this, checked my notes, had not!)

Look at his charm go into full effect, winking and everything. Sadly she didn't have a recording studio as part of her Castle or else she would have half-forced him to re-record Countess Colorutura's last album in ska for the sheer thrill of butchering something so amazing. And his willingness to do it right here, right now was bold enough to earn an honest laugh from Twilight. "That'll be all right. I don't have a studio or anything resembling it. The closest I have is a study, which is as about as far removed from a studio as possible in form and function," she replied pleasantly, imagining how out of place a fully produced song would sound mid-production in her study.

His continued insistence on Equestria sayings was adorable. The modern version of the saying was simply, "Music is the food" or language "of love" which was a slightly altered if still resounding message. Regardless, the true shock was that indeed music was there. And not just as a way to inspire love, and thus feed them, but as entertainment. How much of that was him putting a better face on it and how much was truth was up in the air, but she enjoyed how much he seemed devoted to the idea. In a similar vein to how devoted he seemed to the idea of displaying what the Changelings were good at, such as architecture.

She chalked that up to biology first and foremost. Changelings had a unique biological imperative and lifestyle that demanded efficient and livable structures that could be built quickly and on the move. They had an area in the Badlands to call home, but no real city or nation-state. What a Hive called home would change. Their skills at building weren't just needed, they were absolutely necessary for the survival of the species. "It was very impressive work, Kahz. No doubt well honed skills at work. Though for all this talk of music I didn't see a Changeling band, so I guess it isn't a special trait just yet," she kidded, enjoying him.

Though once more she had to turn to something he said with a frown. Yes, it was strange what could be born from war, but this was a decidedly one-sided engagement. Equestria didn't really fight the Changelings, they defended themselves. This 'war' existed because of one Changeling. And while they needed love to survive, it was hard to get over the fact that Chrysalis' plan had been to take Equestria over and use them as what amounted to cattle. It was a small point of contention to be honest, but important to her. This war was designed, promoted, and acted on by only one side. The other simply defended itself.

So while she could appreciate the irony of love coming from war, she couldn't really chalk it up in the ironic happenstances that existed due to it. Everything that had happened positively between any Changeling and any Equestrian could have happened without the associated war and the awful suffering that accompanied it. "I view it more as destiny. They were destined to find one another. The war contributed nothing positive to their relationship- to me, anyway," Twilight said, trying to turn the subject back away from this more dour frame.

"Well, we're doing well here I think. What else do you think makes you qualified as a consort?"

Of course the castle didn't have a studio, which was fine and all.  It would be unrealistic to expect it, and in any case, Kahz would have to go into the session cold, as it were.  Nevertheless, the changeling couldn't help but point out to the Princess that she had in front of her right now a resource that could be put to good use.  "Well, if you want one, don't forget that you have the representative of a people who specialize in fast construction right here.  I've already got some hooves-on experience with acoustics, and I've a knack for ad-hoc work of any kind, physical or social."  It would perhaps not be considered orthodox by ponykind to put a guest to work on remodeling the first day they arrive, but hey, this was a princess that Kahz was attempting to romance, here.  Surely, a few trials of ability were only par for the course, right?

It was true enough that she didn't see a changeling band.  Oh, Kahz had brought in a few backup instruments, but they didn't really feel the music like he could.  They were just in it for the love of the crowds, and work that didn't involve heavy lifting.  It was a start, though.  What seemed to be a non-starter, though, was talk of war.  That was a sticking point with Twilight, and Kahz had to admit, as a Chrysalis loyalist, it was a sticking point with him as well.  It would take a while to explain all of the political implications that informed his views and opinions, and heavy politics was no subject for a first date.  And, in any case, he was working on a book on Changeling history that would hopefully clear the whole issue up.  Hey, that would make a great gift for the bibliophile alicorn, too!

Smiling at Twilight, he opened his mouth to recall forth more virtues... and closed it again.  Er, just what was left?  He'd already gone over his sociability, his adaptability, work ethic, political nous, and mad guitar skills.  What else could he bring?  "Well..."  He started again, less certain of how to go on.  "I don't know how well you'd take it if I said that I knew real love when I saw it.  And I can't say I've any experience in cultivating it myself, though perhaps it wouldn't be a good thing if I did, anyway, depending on what you were looking for."  Oh, he was flagging, he knew it, but given how important the personal commitment between two ponies could be, Kahz couldn't leave this side of the issue unaddressed.  Heck, the Power of Love was a real thing, which had on at least one occasion saved Twilight Sparkle's homeland!  She obviously would be factoring that in, and it was here that Kahz was most nervous about being able to deliver.  "I would give it my best shot.  That might not sound like much to you, but my life has often depended upon it.  I let no one down by lack of effort."

The final part of any meeting was a little difficult. Once a pony got past their prepared validations of what made them feel worthy it could be difficult to foster a sense of grandeur in the presence of royalty, and this was not made easier when you a member of a different species. Kahz had done very well so far to put his best hoof forward and she applauded him, and it as clear that even she had work to do when it came to how she perceived changelings. It was easier to simply assume that the few changelings she knew worked in Equestria well simply for their simple denial of Chrysalis' ambitions and haughty aims. It was more difficult to understand that one could willingly follow such a leader and still be a very genial, kindly soul to interact with.

That is why she didn't disbelieve him when he said he knew real love when he saw it. That seemed relatively par for the course considering that it was important for Changelings to feed off of it in order to survive. But even beyond that, his genuine personality seemed to her to be the foundation of a creature with fantastic centers of understanding and empathy. Perhaps in a way he could know others better than Twilight could. Maybe Changelings, due to their lifestyle, understood love and how emotions feel better than anything else. It was all worthy of further study regardless of the day's events and it only proved to Twilight that in the grand scheme of things she could always count on new experiences to challenge old perceptions.

She didn't challenge his belief in himself, nor did she doubt his conviction. If chosen, Kahz would be a potent friend and ally. His effort in all things would be required to challenge the perceptions of the average Equestrian but she didn't doubt he would meet the tasks head on. As a friend he would be humorous and intellectually stimulating, and could provide a fantastic counter-balance when it came to debates. Luna's Advocate, as the now somewhat improper saying went. He was politically astute and would be a symbol of a possibly bright future. More than her other choices, Kahz came with baggage and symbolism that was all too worthwhile and tricky at the same time.

She didn't know what the answer was, but she knew she definitely liked Kahz. As he finished, she allowed a friendly pause as she took a sip of water. "Well, you've certainly been probably my most engaging and stimulating applicant thus far, Kahz. You can rest easy tonight knowing that you represented yourself very well, and I will definitely give weight to what I've seen today when I make my decision. You are a very...interesting Changeling, Kahz," she smiled, "is there anything else you'd like to discuss today, Kahz?" She asked, ready to throw open the doors for the next applicant if Kahz was ready to make his exit.

Kahz would never let it show if the pressure was getting to him; where he grew up, signs of weakness could be fatal.  Even so, Twilight could probably tell that he was starting to flag a little bit, which meant that underneath his calm exterior, he was one or two lightheaded steps away from a crash and disaster.  It was with relief, therefore, that the changeling could sense the conclusion of his first meeting with the Princess approaching.  Here was a chance to finish strong, and perhaps to solidify his outside chance.

"I'm very glad to hear that, Princess Twilight.  Very few forget the sight of me, so I try to make their memories happy ones."  He gestured downward in another self-deprecating reference to his figure and appearance.  "Speaking of which..."  His horn glowed green as he summoned two slips of glossy paper, presenting them to the purple alicorn.  "I have a concert in Manehattan coming up; I suppose you could think of it as my 'coming out' party."  He laughed, fully back to his confident, energetic self.  "If you do end up going with someone else, do bring them!  They would deserve my heartfelt congratulations, at the very least."

He may have been coming out clean in Manehattan, but here and now in Ponyville, he wasn't quite ready to spring the revelation quite yet.  He summoned his 'Heart Sight' guise back up, bowing again to the Princess.  "Until then, or until we meet again..."  In one last move, he stepped forward to take and kiss her hoof, stepping back with a wink.  "Goodnight, and good luck!"

• 3 months later...

Rarity

It was true that Rarity had feelings for Twilight, that was for sure and now was the perfect time to let her know. She had waited patiently in line for her turn to step up and plead her case to Twilight. She trotted forward wrapped up in a sort of cloak to hide herself for the time being. It wasn't everyday that one of your best friends was using an old law to try and find a life partner. But this was something that Rarity felt deep down in her heart that she had to do.

"Twilight my dear, do you know how long I had to wait outside for this?" She let out a soft sigh, she had been one of the first ponies to arrive but even then there was still quite a few in front of her. She took off her cloak and rested it on the edge of Twilight's throne. "I saw your notice in the Town Square and came as quickly as I could when today arouse. I'm not really sure what all has to happen for me to become your Consort but I am sure willing to do whatever it takes." She took a deep breath and put her hoof on Twilight's shoulder. Rarity was wearing her Grand Galloping Gala dress sans the tiara, it was a very formal occasion and Rarity wasn't going to cut any corners if it meant walking out of here in a bit more sanity then she came here in. She was worried, very worried, that Twilight might have never known how she felt about her. She knew that Twilight would make the choice that was best for her but it was the least Rarity could do to come here and tell her to her face and perhaps sway things in her favor.

"I just want you to know Sweetheart that I do care deeply about you, heck I'm willing to say that I love you. You've always been there when I needed you and you always know just what to say or do. Ever since your first time in Ponyville I knew that you would be a very close friend of mine, maybe even more." She took a step back to let Twilight take all this in, after all she wasn't trying to overwhelm her right off the bat.

It was some time before her next applicant came in, but when she did, Twilight felt her entire face go flush with color as her hooves shot up to her mouth to contain a mix of shock and laughter. Embarrassed laughter. This was a very awkward situation. She hadn't imagined her friends showing up to this even though she figured it was a possibility. It was the perfect stage for...secrets to come out after all. Long bedeviled emotions worming their way through the cracks of a shattered facade, little other than good manners and a sense of self-defeatism preventing chaos and disharmony. Or true love- always that. But it was a risk and the fact nopony had come to her with such things before had told her it was unlikely to happen with them. If she did see them, she expected a sort of, "well, better a friend than a stranger!" sot of strategy. Still very awkward.

But this was something different. Rarity was being unusually blunt and forward, and was taking things past ten so far. The blush started to vanish a little, just a little, as Twilight's hooves hovered lower and lower until they almost half covered her mouth which was wide open in shock. Rarity had very clearly laid out her cards on the table, and Twilight would have to respond sooner rather than later. Not that it mattered, she didn't know how to respond. Twilight had moved to Ponyville to discover the magic of friendship and she had put her friends in this very tight box around her heart. She had unique feelings and emotions for all of them but once she removed them from these designated placed in her heart she didn't know to deal with them. Was love the same love for Rainbow Dash as it was Fluttershy? Or was it the same as with Rarity? What was the deeper level of friendship she had felt with Rarity- and was that love, or would she simple be acquiescing to the desire of a best friend?

She had to focus. This position was not just about love or- well, it was kind of a bout love, but it was also about what you could bring to the table as one of the leading ponies of Equestria. You'd be there when Twilight had to make the hard calls and would have to offer advice on how to deal with the stick situations. Twilight wasn't looking for a lover or a husband or a wife alone- she needed an adviser, somepony with the wits and will to help her through the dark times that leadership called for.  For that she needed somepony who could be counted among for good discourse of the important matters, not to mention all the other important parts of being a consort.

A pregnant pause.

"Well...I'm...very glad you opened up about this, Rarity, to share your feelings with me. It means a lot," she said, trying to search for her own feelings on the matter. In the mean time, she could fous on her more noble ideals of what a consort should be. "And...umm, well, we still have questions. So, tell me- and I have to ask everypony this- what do you think you bring as a Consort, both to me, and to all of Equestria?" She asked, her voice finding that small element of regal authority she needed to mask the uneasiness within. 

Rarity had come here with a plan, and so far everything was going perfectly. She knew that Twilight would be looking for more than romance and Rarity also knew that she could help provide more than that. Using her magic she opened the pocket of her cloak and produced a small stack of note cards. Rarity knew there would be questions and oh did she come prepared. She had wrote a few small statements down on them and key points of why she would make a great, if not the best, Consort. She had also done up an actual chart and graph but wasn't sure if they would amuse Twilight or be of any actual help. Instead she had decided to go with the much more simple route and talk and give examples.

"I know Darling, you think I would come here to confess my unending love for you and not be ready for the question?" Rarity flipped her mane out of her way as she places upon her snout her glasses. She took a deep breath and a moment to ponder the question, what could she provide as a consort to not only Twilight but to Equestria as a whole, this was one that she hadn't thought about or wrote anything down for. This was fine, it was a question that she knew the answer to, heck she WAS the answer to it.

"You know me darling, I am the embodiment of Generosity. A very giving soul. But one thing you might have forgotten is that I am very easily able to earn the trust, respect, and admiration of anypony or anyone that I meet. And when it comes to popularity, you know there is no one second best to myself." She took a brief pause. "This would mean easier negotiations for you, or even less negotiations for you. I am well versed in talking for extended periods of time and know what to say and how to act to get what it is that I want or need. Example A: The Diamond Dogs. I also love to keep track of all the small details of well, everything." She nodded her head a few times as she adjusted her glasses. "I might not be the best with animals, or the weather, but I do know how to run a business. With that it means that I can help out anytime a business or financial issue arises. This also means that any sort of diplomatic dispute that involves resources or anything that could be used on or as a market I would be a most invaluable tool for." She stomped her hoof down on the floor lightly as she took a dramatic stance. "And lets not forget who is the best at dramatizing anything and everything. Just imagine having me on counsel and something going wrong, I could easily distract. But as a final point to this topic, for you Twilight." She took another moment to pause. "I could bring the world. You already know I deeply love and care about you. Even on your sick days or bad days I would be right by your side no matter what. I would do anything you asked of me, even if it meant getting dirty or something I didn't like." With that Rarity took a step back and nodded to Twilight. She had felt she answered that question perfectly or maybe even beyond perfectly, was that a thing? If it was Rarity was sure she was going to use that with her next fashion line.

Twilight was none too shocked when Rarity pulled out notecards and began speaking at length. Most considered her vapid for reasons beyond Twilight's understanding. She was a business owner with a witty sense of humor, not to mention one of the greatest designers in all of Equestria. All of this seemed to countermand the misbegotten belief of her vapidity, but such rumors never ceased to amaze Twilight, and in turn they never ceased to end. The Rarity Twilight knew was anything but vapid and anything other than scheming. She was generous and intelligent, and it was the awkwardness of a friendship misplaced that made the situation more delicate and concerning than any of the other applicants. And so she was going to go ahead and try to set aside all of that and focus on the job at hand, and listen to her friend give her many, many, many reasons why she was the best choice. Even the only choice!

And she was right on many accounts, though Twilight's more analytical side found flaws. She had an easy way with those she met, subsidizing her natural charm and charisma with a knowledge of beauty and the ability to weaponize it. How many stallions(and mares) had found themselves helplessly enthralled by her? Of course, such an easy way with words and charms was not uncommon in higher society, while defenses against such were likewise common. It would be a great benefit no doubt, but one meeting with Heart Stopper of Kastrot- well, Rarity was talented, but there were true masters and mistresses of the art on the stage. Her popularity was well-founded and true, but it came with baggage- she also had some who disliked it, while truly talented politicos could use her popularity against her. Properly worked, a loss of reputation to a pony like Rarity was a useful tool.

Still, Twilight admitted that more than her other friends she had a fine eye for detail. When it interested her, at least. The fineries of negotiating grazing rights for incoming herds of Buffalo or mediating a border conflict between settlers slotted in often besides detailing a new four-hundred page tax scheme, and how best to make it work for the common ponies. Twilight was well aware that much of that work, while appealing to her, was immensely boring to others. Rarity might find her mind wandering and focusing on something more palatable to the creative spark within. Businesswise nopony could doubt her ability to thrive. However, Twilight had seen Rarity almost fail as a businessmare more than a few times, with the boutique's life hanging by the thread she was working for a specific client.

What wasnt in dispute was the honesty with which Rarity's final points were driven home. She did love Twilight more earnestly and honestly than anypony else, and that was something that worked well in her favor. All of her strong points were as she stated them. It was simply in Twilight's nature to take the long or big view of things, Rarity included. One's claims of greatness must always be met with skepticism...not because they aren't true, but because greatness comes less from skills and more the application of them under duress. Which, come to think of it, Twilight was under. Or was it the lamps? She felt very hot. Blushing even. This was an awkward meeting with Rarity and one she had not really expected. She wasn't still wasn't sure how happy she was. Not at all or a great deal seemed like equally likely possibilities. 

She had to be funny now.

"Well yeah getting dirty, I do that all the time," she said with a nervous laugh, almost slapping herself on the forehead. How very smooth of you, Twilight. She took a deep breath and refocused.

"All of these are excellent points, Rarity. But becoming a consort also means sacrifice. Would you be able to divest yourself from ventures such as Rarity For You or the Boutique, if it was required by you?" She asked, her voice dripping with worry. "You've achieved so much of what you dreamt. I would hate to be the reason you can't continue to be the greatest and most famous designer in all of Equestria."

1NF90Ae.png

Rarity laughed a bit when Twilight said she got dirty all the time. It was something that she knew wasn't true to that extent. Most commonly it was Rainbow Dash and Applejack that were busy getting themselves all dirtied up and in need of a spa day. Rarity thought that the meeting had been going very well up to this point. She knew deep down in her heart that this question was coming but she had hoped that it wouldn't show at all. Rarity clung to the word if as it left Twilight's lips. That meant there was a chance she wouldn't have to and if that was the case then she'd be fine with it.

"Well as you fully know, I would much rather not have to cut ties with any of my business or stop being THE greatest fashion designer in all of Equestria. But if it was for you or to help Equestria in some way I would." Rarity shook a bit as the words left her mouth. She knew that it would be very hard for her but if it meant being an invaluable tool to Twilight and Equestria as a whole then she knew what had to be done. "Besides, I have a few close friends who I could entrust the business to." The first coming to mind was none other then Coco Pommel, someone that Rarity held in a very high regard when it came to fashion and the like. "I might have achieved much of what I had wanted to in my career as a fashionista but what it comes down to it sweetheart fashion isn't just about sales and marketing. Its about not just looking good but feeling good and feeling comfortable with who you are. That is the biggest key." She nodded her head a few times as she spoke. "I am pretty good at multi-tasking if I do say so myself though. Being by your side for all this time and even expanding my business ventures and finding time for creating all these custom designs. I could stand to move some, if not all, to the back burner." She did a hoof motion as if she was pushing a box into the back of a closet. Rarity kept looking at Twilight in the eyes and trying hard not to blush as she thought about other things than business. It was true that she could tell that Twilight wasn't completely sold on the idea but that is what the note cards were for. With a quick flick thru of them Rarity found just the one she was looking for.

"I would also like to say that you should never feel like you are the reason I have to leave anything behind or that I don't achieve more. I am doing this for you sweetheart, well you and whatever higher powers we are working for. But I want you to know full well that I meant what I said at the start of this Twilight, I'd bring down the stars if you asked that of me." Rarity knew she was coming off a bit forceful now but she felt it needed to be said. She let out a quick sigh as she regained her normal statute of manner. "Sorry if that felt rather pushy. I just feel very strongly about this and want you to make the best choice you can. Even if it isn't me." She flipped part of her mane from her face as she began to look at Twilight, ready for more questions.

Rarity was very prepared to go ahead and answer all of Twilight's queries and worries. It was a refreshing change of pace to be able to see the exact means and ways a pony used to answer questions, and know the very specific truth behind those words. Rarity did have an easy way with words. She was very well spoken and one of the most respected mares not just in town, but as her fame increased, all of Equestria. If Twilight had known the others one percent as well as she knew Rarity maybe they'd stand much of a chance in direct comparison to her. Well, that would be hard. She'd dealt with the charming and the intelligent, the beautiful and the strong, the driven and those who dreamed. She would have to consider what to consider truthful and valid from the others, but here she knew.

It would be incredibly difficult for Rarity to pull away from what she had done and accomplished no matter what she said here. It would be hard for anypony to silence years of hard work and shatter long-held dreams, and for Rarity it was unthinkable. She had poured so much of herself into everything she had done. It was easy to be caught up in the throes of passion- no matter how well spoken she was- and say you could do anything, would do anything, for love. Especially when you were a romantic like Rarity was. But cutting out Rarity For You and the designing and everything that she had worked for wouldn't simply be shutting down a business. It would be shutting the book on a part of her that was admirable and no amount of love could ever really replicate. Could Rarity's love for Twilight be enough to make up for that core part of her that would be shunned, left to wither and die on the vine of vanity's cruel misfortune?

Twilight didn't want her consort's affections to be blinding them to the realities of the position. Love could sustain much but was Twilight comfortable with the idea of making a very close friend put an end to their dream for it, despite the rationalizations? How long until that itch came back, that desire, that dream, only to realize that you had cut yourself off from the application of the dream once and for all. It just...didn't feel like somepony who had been so passionate for so long could so easily remove herself from it. And if she could and her passion could be silenced, did that not speak to the future possibility of that same love for Twilight fading into habit rather than what she presented it as, the one and only actual bit of love Twilight had seen so far?

Twilight was not a romantic idealist but still found an easy smile coming to her as Rarity spoke about bringing the stars down for her. In this moment, Twilight knew she meant it. Still, she had to be objective- hard to do with her tail flicking about nervously, and her eyes stinging open out of habit and force more than anything else. She took a pregnant pause and considered the next round of questioning. This would be different from the others because...well, she was different. "I can tell you've...given this a lot of thought, Rarity. How long have you felt this way? Can't say I was aware of your feelings until...now, really. Does anypony else know? What do you see us doing- well, I mean, besides all the...obvious, merits and responsibilities of the position."

waxsOiG.png

Rarity, in this very moment, was aglow with joy and happiness. She knew Twilight would keep herself objective, she couldn't risk letting emotions getting in the way of the future and safety of not only her friends, but Ponyville, and even Equestria as a whole. 

"Well my dear, its been some time now." Rarity began, tapping a hoof on her chin as she thought back to when she knew it in her heart that she had such feelings for Twilight. "It must have been around the time of your birthday, when I made you that dress. Even though I felt that it was the worst thing I had ever created in my existence you still loved it and wore it with pride because I made it for you. That meant so much to me, I could feel it deep down inside that something was stirring. Since then its only gotten louder." Rarity let out a soft laugh as she pondered the next question. Did anyone else know?

"Well, if anyone else knows about how I feel it'd be Valen and Snowball. Two friends that actually helped me work up the courage to even tell you all this." She nodded her head before fixing her mane. "What do I see us doing? I can see us helping to expand the business and trade of not only Ponyville but perhaps of all of Equestria. With out travels and friends that we've made who all have so many wonderful things to trade it'd be a shame to not help them in some way. Aside from that the options and opportunities are limitless. I feel that together there isn't much that we can't do. If we need more help we can always call on the rest of our friends from far and wide." Rarity took a small pause, she had to remember that she was talking to the Princess of Friendship, not just her friend and love interest. She had thought that business had been too big of a point that she was trying to hammer home as that was only one of the many things she could offer. "I could also lend my aide in that department. One of my pen-pals that I have been keeping recently is actually a Caribou from the clan Askr, a Seer to be exact. Her name is Eir Cliudottir. We've only written back and forth a few times but I get the feeling that she wants to better the world anyway she can." Rarity frilled her brow a bit. Had she spoken too much? Was she not being courteous enough towards her friend? Rarity still had a sparkle in her eye even when she talked business and the like with Twilight, she wasn't going to let on but whenever her and Twilight conversed it was always made much more interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

If he had not been informed of this by a letter, Rune would have dismissed it. But as he had gotten a letter from Shadow informing him of the Consort Auditions, he'd immediately packed up from his home in the Frozen North. It had been a rough time arriving here, because of the difficulties of the Frozen North. Artic Monsters were a pain to deal with, and had he not had his wagon, getting here safely would have been difficult. Clad in a pressed blue and white tuxedo that complemented his body, and was one of the few pieces of formal attire that he had, Rune sighed as he thought about all that he had done thus far. None of his achievements could compare to what he was about to do. Giving himself a spritz of cologne, he hoped that the Princess of Friendship was into Older Stallions. Sure he might have to pass guarding the magical relics to Shadow, but Shadow did have the potential, and that was something Rune knew. One day Shadow could surpass him and do something truly great. But for now,  Rune decided he'd focus on himself and his needs. Dealing with the matter at hand was important. Maneuvering his wagon until it was in front of the Friendship Castle, he came out of it. 

Going inside,  he'd approach the Great Hall and enter it.  

A polite bow was done by him. "Hello Princess Twilight Sparkle. You are holding auditions for your consort? Well, I wish to audition." 

Archived