Glamour, Sophistication, and Mystery (Closed: RariDash)

SteelEagle

Coloratura was a mare of many talents and experiences, but that meant she had a kernel of an adventurous soul in her that never allowed her to settle. Every little piece of life she experienced only pushed her to experience something new, something bold, something to light fire to her senses and enliven her creativity. It was the product of an active mind that had been nurtured even as a filly to reach out and touch others and find what lay within. And as a filly, it was one of two things. The first thing that tickled her fancy was music and she most assuredly had taken advantage of that love. Even with recent shuffling in her management nothing could stop her love affair with music.

But the other half that kindled her creative spirit were the collection of books her parents would give her. More specifically, the mysteries of a certain Shadow Spade. Her mother had been concerned that the books were perhaps too adult for little Rara, but that didn't put an end to her father's lenient ways. She read the books she could and traveled with her parents to the big city when the first projector shows came out. She had enjoyed them but considering how far the family had to travel and how low budget an affair the whole  productions tended to be, it was in some ways disappointing. And then later ones turned into three in the morning schlock that she only collected in shame. Years went by and nopony had made another.

Now Rara was a mare of great means and talent, not to mention name recognition. After her ugly breakup with Sven's management style which precluded her from being anything else other than a one-note character, she wanted to expand her horizons. Yes, due to obligations and the fact she enjoyed pop she would still perform as the Countess. Changes were coming, but she was a mare of the pony, for the pony, and wasn't about to shatter the hopes and dreams of Equestrians big and small in order to sate her own blazing inner desires. But now she was back in the studio recording classical, rock, instrumental, rap, and even acapella music for release soon. 

So it was only natural that she continued to expand her horizons and decided to take her other passion into consideration. Shadow Spade. She loved the books now more than ever. She deserved better projector shows. And so Rara had hit the pavement with the various projector show companies and found one willing to invest a small amount in such a risky proposition. The last few Shadow Spade shows had failed in every way. Rara herself would invest in the project and promised to write the score and even put in an original song, something which would hopefully attract her own fans to the show. A crew was assembled. Part of it anyway. 

They still needed most of the actresses and actors, but the rest was there. And as an executive producer, Rara was there for the auditions. And what an audition process it had been. She was a popular character, but not like Daring Do or some other popular ones where many saw big bucks in the role. So the ponies who arrived auditioned because they loved the character and the pathos she represented, not so they could get their name out there. And so, pony after pony, Rara witnessed ponies who could very well be a Shadow Spade. It was certainly a great field but...
They were all missing...something. 

Most came across as amazing actresses but lacked a certain real life problem solving authenticity that came with experience. Most would work but out there would be somepony perfect- and she was little else if not a perfection.
"Thank you, Dark Alley. That was amazing! We'll contact you shortly one way or the other. Thank you so much for coming out," Coloratura said as the would-be Shadow Spade bowed with flourish and walked out, flanked by security. 

"Okay. And next on the audition list is Miss..." 

• 3 weeks later...

It was gross understatement to say that Rarity had always had a flair for the dramatic. Some might even say that dramatics was everything she was. Despite that, Rarity had always eschewed the most obvious path that might lead to, acting.

Rarity was a creative to the core and creating was what was important to her. She might have coveted attention, but she preferred that it came from admiration of the things she created.  She was out to inspire, not just to play a part. Even modelling her creations, though she had done it in the past as part of an ensemble or in a pinch, was something she preferred not to have to do.

Sure, she could acknowledge she wasn't a bad actress. She had a knack for putting on airs and of much of her entire persona was carefully cultivated. Even as a small filly, however, she had been the one wanting to design the costumes for her school play rather than taking the stage.

There were, however, exceptions to every rule.

At once point Rarity had found the borderline obsession her friend Rainbow had with the character of Daring Do and her adventures a charmingly quaint thing. Now she understood it perfectly, for she had discovered her own hero of the page. There was something about Shadow Spade that just spoke to Rarity. her mystique was just bewitching. Captivating. From the first adventure of the intrepid detective she had read, Rarity immediately felt a connection.  The entire Femme Mystique line had come together for her with such haste that even Sassy had been floored.

So captivated was Rarity by the character that when she heard that auditions were being held to cast her for a film, she hadn't even really thought about it. Without telling anyone else, she had gathered her things together and made for the indicated location, dressed of course in the hat and coat that were her favorite pieces of the Femme Mystique line.

So fixated was she on the part that she had decided to favor a method approach, allowing Rarity to disappear and Shadow Spade to emerge. When it was finally her turn, she slunk forward quietly and then cocked her hat upward.

"Miss Spade. Shadow Spade," she said in a silky tone.

Her eyes settled on the producer's face, somewhat surprised it was so familiar to her. It was none other than Countess Coloratura herself! She was a Shadow Spade fan too? How wonderful. Even the revelation that she would be performing for Applejack's precious friend, however, would not force her to break character though.

"A precious songbird, only just set from her cage, speeds toward a new night horizon. Boldly. Without fear or apprehension," Rarity observed in a smoothly dictated voice as she looked Rara in the eye. "Her eyes move from star to star hanging in the endless black sea, wondering which she should follow in her flight, when suddenly before her eyes appears a hidden star. Obscured though it might be by its more known sisters, it nevertheless gleams brightly. Brighter than the rest. Surer than the rest. Immaculate. Ready to make the night beautiful for all. The pretty little songbird can't help but follow it."

Rarity went quiet after this bit of flowery narration, lowering her head so as the hat just obscured her eyes.

Every actress and actor that came through these doors earned a place in her heart, even if only for a while. But when Rarity stepped in she didn't have to work at all to get her affection, deserved at that, from Coloratura. She wouldn't claim to be Rarity's best friend or know her half as well as she wished, but Rarity was very famous for her world class designs. More importantly, she knew through Applejack just how marvelous of a pony she was. Seeing her come in to play the role of Shadow Spade? Unexpected, but very welcome. And judging by the way she had come in dressed, she knew herself some Shadow Spade. A very welcome addition to the casting process.

And...she was absolutely killing it. It wasn't that the other actresses couldn't act, maybe even better than Rarity. It wasn't that they couldn't do the performance as well if not better than her. No no no. If it was about capability then Coloratura wouldn't feel this lightness come over her chest. Rara was a performer and a great seeker of talent and an even better conductor of it. Some people could do something better than anyone because of skill or hard work. Others were born with the innate ability to excel. And Rarity had, from birth, been groomed for this. She had the perfect look, spoke with the perfect tone, knew her stuff, and had the perfect attitude. You couldn't learn that or train for it, you just had to be it. And Rarity was IT.

At least based on what she had seen, anyway. There was still a ways to go and the process was young, and she had to remain clean of bias. "'The Songbird's Sorrow', very good choice Miss Rarity. One of my favorites, though I found the middle to be stretched a little. Happy to see you come out here. I had no idea you were a Shadow Spade fan! Something Applejack doesn't include in the letters. You have the look down, though for somepony like you I bet that didn't take long at all. Your own hoofwork, I presume?" she whispered to one of the other casting directors next to her. A few moments of silence as they discussed something.

"Okay Rarity, would you mind doing some line reading with the male lead? Send him in," Rara said. A few moments later the door opened and revealed a hauntingly handsome stallion, a grey jacket and hat hiding a slightly ruffled white and black striped shirt with suspenders. "Rarity, meet Thespian Supreme, our very own Sleuth. Supreme, meet Rarity. She is trying out for the part of Shadow Spade."

Supreme gave a polite bow, picking Rarity's hoof up and giving it a small kiss. "Ah, pleasure to meet you, Miss Rarity," he said in a deep, gravely voice befitting Sleuth.

"You may begin."

A pause as Sleuth took a relaxed position next to a table, pouring himself a drink.

"Sorry to bother you so early in the morning Spade, but it was either come here or be a skipout. When the shysters and skid rogues are out in force, getting some of that spinach saved can be important. Now, we can either bump some gums or get to why I'm here, which unless you're behind the eight ball, I'm sure you know."

• 2 months later...

Rarity beamed internally at the praise though she kept her expression even and severe. She simply nodded and tipped her hat, perfectly aloof, as if it should be obvious. Wanting to stick to her method approach, she didn't bother to answer any of Rara's questions, and instead just allowed the mare to guide things along.

When Thespian Supreme appeared, she smiled at his greeting. "Likewise, Mr. Sleuth. Let's see if you're up for the task," she said with an amused giggle.

Then, just as quickly her face became sterner, her eyes narrowing upon the gentelpony as he spoke his piece. "Just be out with it, Sleuth," she said disdainfully. "Maybe your games and that crass, tough-guy attitude is enough to charm some guileless, wide-eyed filly, but you'll find that I am quite immune."

She gave a cold huff and then poured herself a drink from Sleuth's bottle. "As it is, I'm working a tough case with no leads anywhere in sight and a dangerous criminal on the loose. If it isn't important, then leave me be. I'm in no place to entertain," she said as she brought the drink to her lips.

Sleuth stopped and looked at Shadow.

"Don't act like I was here to make you tip your mitt about Roscoe. I know all about your button man and how much of a ghost he can be. I came here to see if our investigations can benefit one another. I think I might be on the verge of somethin' big regarding the Two Bit Shamus who broke tha Copperheads downtown. Mighta taken The Big Sleep, if you catch my drift. Buncha Sharpers in the Coppers makin' it hard to move on it. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. Some Bum rushes downtown, some goons might be willing to spill it about Roscoe," he said, not revealing the location of the incidents just yet.

Rara watched, excited by what she was seeing. Rarity had the attitude down pat and she looked the part. The reading was important- the chemistry between Sleuth and Shadow Spade was integral to the first two acts of the story. Sleuth was an important character in the earlier novels who eventually fell out of favor with Shadow. This story was the one where he made her see him in a different light- and died. It changed how she viewed others and made her more willing to work. Most stories were set after this point and had rich side protagonists that projector shows fed off of, but this was the story that would set it all in motion. Hence, it was likely the most emotionally investing of all her stories. The actual mystery at the heart was good, standard Shadow Spade affair- but the character development was the best in the whole series. Rara took notes, taking care to examine the smallest details.

• 3 weeks later...

Rarity took a long drink from her glass as Sleuth talked, not bothering to look at him again until both the liquid and his monologue were through. When she did it was with a cold smirk.

"Come now, Sleuth. If I could pin down where Roscoe's planted by sticking it to some mugg downtown, don't you think I'd have found him by now?" she poured herself another drink. "No, he's too clever. He wouldn't have told anyone who'd talk. I can promise you that much."

"If our flatfoot friend truly got bumped off I'm sorry to hear it, but it's going to take more than just sympathy to convince me to stick my neck out there when it could just as easily be me next," she resumed not looking at him. Recalling the book, this was a moment Rarity needed to get just right. Shadow was keenly aware of the danger involved in getting tangled in the same mess Sleuth was pursuing and wanted to avoid it, but there was no avoiding the fact that it troubled her, and she knew that trouble showed on her face. The more she thought about it, the more that trouble grew until she became much less sure she could simply ignore the matter.The actress did her best to capture that moment of uncertainty and inner conflict, knowing in the final product it might even be a spot for a monologue to dubbed in.

Slowly then, she looked back up at Sleuth. "There isn't anything more you can do for me, is there?" she asked, showing the desperation that come with one looking for any viable excuse to go against what all reason was telling her to do.

Sleuth smiled. He iked it when Shadow played a little hard to get. What made her so appealing as a partner in stopping crime was her never settling for less than what she thought she deserved. But he knew a few things she didn't, and one of them was to never look a gift pony in the mouth. Not unless you meant to get more than a little affectionate, in any case. Still, he had some additional information she may enjoy. He wasn't reticent to share it, he was simply unwilling to lead off with the best cards in his hand. Now that she was asking for it rather than simply expecting it, he hoped it would help provide the final nail in the coffin and seal this deal. He needed her and as she would soon learn, when it came to this, she needed him.

He reached into his overcoat and pulled out a folder, tossing it out in front of Shadow on a table. Several photographs spilled out. "Tiny Tim, Button Man. Supposed to have taken the Big Sleep, took a crossbow slug to the back in Trottingham. Had a funeral and everything. Roscoe was there. But see this photo?" He handed her one. It was well known at the time. Two fillies had saved a copper from being run over by a runaway carriage and the newspapers ate it up with a picture taken moments afterward. In the back, walking briskly, was Tiny Tim. "Dumb mug couldn't keep his button out of the press, despite having eaten the Big One. He isn't the only one. Roundheels, Redhot, and Johnson Brother- all three supposed to be sleeping with the fishes, but look- arrest records for ponies who look the same very recently, all on their way here. Now you go ahead and tell me there isn't some sort of Long Guo Angle in all this, and I'll leave you to your business. But all four of these button men used to be Gumshoes' cases, in the Can or gone. Now they're back, he's dead and the Coppers aren't making moves on it. If you see what I see, meet me at the Raging Roc in the Griffon District. If not- sorry to bother you, Shadow," he said, tipping his hat and making a move to go.

Archived