Mister I'll Make a Mare Out of You! [Magi and Steel]

Imagination

These cross country train rides were usually pretty stressful for her. This time more than ever.

Pinchy was going to come clean. She knew.

She found out awhile ago that her dearest friend Gilded had simply been another dearest friend, Valen Orange, simply masquerading as a mare. When she found out, she didn't know what to say to him. She felt lied to. Betrayed, even.  But, once she took a moment to think about it, she could only remember him seeming comfortable as Gilded. From what she could tell, anyway. She had her own suspicions, one of which involving a plan she was putting into action on this very train! 

The precautions had been taken, the proper equipment set and disposals made.

She figured Valen must be so comfortable as Gilded... Because he wanted to be a mare! Pinchy could help with that! She wasn't going to abandon her friend in hi- HER time of need! She had made arrangements with the crew to dispose of any Valen-ish luggage. She was also going to make sure to dispose of his Valen paperwork, but that would have to wait until she could nick his belongings.She made sure to ask 'Gilded' to come on this modeling tour with her. She absolutely insisted, and would not under any circumstances take no for an answer. 

So now, she just had to wait for the opportune moment to spring this little trap of hers. They had a long journey ahead of them, and they were sharing a room on this very train.

There was rarely a good time to be caught off guard when it came to matters of career, but when it was an offer like the one Valen had been given, exceptions could be made. He had been finishing up an upscale modeling contract with Fantaisie, a new Prench clothing store opening in two months, when something else had come into play. Well, not directly in play- this modeling tour wouldn't last too long, so he could do both. But he figured that the representatives from Fantaisie weren't entirely too pleased about the interruption. Regardless, Gilded signed the deal with Fantaisie and then dove into this new opportunity, mouth salivating.

It was a very exclusive deal. High class as usual with several reputable designers in the north, from Seaddle to Saraneighvo. All expenses paid. Nightly modeling shows. Some in the big cities, others for shoots on a train. Many of the usual perks that told him it was a wonderful idea and worthy of his consideration. But what really sealed the deal was who delivered it- Pinchy. An old friend, dear friend, and one that had frustrated Valen's perennial crush on her to no ends. She was a sweet and naive pony who never seemed to connect the dots with him, which made it only a little hard to say yes with great excitement as Gilded- another secret she didn't know about, he believed.

A few days of packing later and the train arrived. It was very luxurious, though from what he had been told the quarters were cramped. No doubt it would prove vexing that they were going to be rooming together for him, but such was the price he paid for being this close to her! He had packed three suitcases. One contained some basic hygiene and his documents for Valen, as well as an outfit. After all, away from the train, he would need to make deposits and whatnot as himself. The second suitcase contained many fashionable clothing choices and his Gilded documents- the set he was going to use most of the time. The third suitcase was knicknacks, clothes, and books. He could have packed more, but these tours tended to provide extra clothes, most of the food, and a small tourist budget as well. 

Day of, he approached the train in his native Manehattan with great excitement. The next stop would be Ponyville, then it would snake from northwestern Equestrian to the northeast for the tour. Ponyville met Pinchy. He gave his bags to the attendants, keeping the second himself. All tehw hile of course he was Gilded- he would be Gilded for the next few weeks. He had gotten very comfortable with the accent and even used a small baby blue choker that was enchanted to help set the vocal cords so he didn't have to try to use it- it just was. He got on the train and went to his room, hanging up the outfits in the shared closet, and then as the trai started to move, went about preparing himself to meet Pinchy!

• 2 weeks later...

Not one moment after Gilded had given her bags to the attendants, they were whisked away, out of sight. The remaining conductor gave her every assurance that "Your belongings will be stored safely, madame~".

Safely. Right.

Ruby's bits were put into action then and there. While Gilded was getting comfortable, Valen was being erased. His luggage was brought to the engine of the train, set down on the floor by the attendants. The engineer, obviously not in the loop, seemed miffed at the fact there were bags in his workspace. "Look, a pretty thing paid us to get rid of these. Got papers and clothes of some bloke what done her wrong..."

The engineer wasn't having it, huffing. "I don't give a dragon's backside if she paid you, you can't just throw them into the burner! Can't you just chuck 'em overboard?"

"Nope. She insisted on 'destroyed', not 'discarded'. Just do us a favor, mate..."

A lengthy negotiation in this manner, and eventually the engineer saw fit to leave the car for a few minutes for some fresh air. What he didn't see wouldn't hurt him. The attendants went to work, tossing all of Valen's papers, clothing, and anything else that could be related to his male identity into the train's coal burner. It burnt up pretty good, and pretty quick, leaving just empty bags for them to store away for Gilded. "Least they're lighter now... bloody over-packing tourists..."

---------------------------------------------------------------

A short while later and they were making their stop in Ponyville, the whistle blowing loud as it pulled into the station. 

Ruby Pinch waited on the platform, taking a deep breath before putting on her best happy face. Valen's transformation into who he truly wants to be starts NOW.

She made her way on board, her luggage happily taken by the attendants (and NOT burned!) before she made her way to her room for the ride. Opening the door, she let out a joyous squeal as she jumped to embrace her best friend. "Oh Gilded thank you so much for coming! Aaaaaa~! I'm so excited!" She had been on trips before, but it was usually by herself. Even if she had some serious work to do, she wasn't going to deny that the company was going to be greatly appreciated. But she wasn't going to show her hand just yet. No, there were other variables to put into play first. For now, she had to play it cool. "So! How are the accommodations so far? I hope the ride didn't seem too long. I'd hate for you to get bored!"

Valen had made sure to get a good nap in. Just a short one, but beauty sleep was a real thing and he wasn't going to short change Ruby Pinch any single bit of his best effort. Together they were going to be on a nice modeling tour and his best efforts were needed at all times- not only so he could do a great job, but inspire Ruby to do well as well. Even as he was resting he tried to imagine all the wonderful outfits they'd have in store for them, all the great locales, the amazing designers- such a tour was one of the greatest honors a model could ask for, and he felt blessed to share it with Ruby Pinch. As the train approached he woke and made himself presentable, putting on a nice number with fur trim, as the train came to a stop.

He trotted out and it took less than a moment to spot her. You couldn't miss her! She was the town knockout. Stood out from any crowd she was in and was a natural model. If it had been anypony but her who was here Valen would have said no, but he liked her. Liked her a great deal. And this was going to be a very special journey for the two of them. And then it would be over and back to the status quo, much to his chagrin, but such was the life he chose to lead. he only wondered how she would handle the frozen north- she seemed the very definition of a sunny mare, after all. She gave Valen a big hug and he returned, taking in the love and affection and wondering what sort of fun they would get to on the train.

"Pinchy, my dear!" Valen said as Gilded sharing a hug and two kisses on the cheek, "I am so happy to see. And to think I almost said no, oui?" he laughed, throwing his mane back as he answered her question. "oui, ze accomodations have been fine. I rested before I arrived here, mon amour. How have ze things been with you? Are you most ready for ze aventure, Pinchy?" he asked, beckoning her inside as he trotted.

Ruby was VERY ready. She had the whole thing planned out!

"I have the whole thing planned out!"

See?

"We're gonna go to some great shoots, and we'll have plenty of time to spend with each other! Oh we're gonna get spa treatments, see the sights... Maybe we could go to the theater too! It's been so long since I saw a good play, and-OH!"

She cut herself off before digging frantically into one of her saddlebags before pulling out something fuzzy, holding out the plush, white noodely-thing.

"Ta-da! I got you a stole! I dunno if you like these kinds of things but I saw it at the boutique and I thought it'd look super cute on you!" She hoofed it over regardless, seemingly beyond excited. Besides, Gilded wouldn't say no to a present from her dearest friend, would she? Even if it was to unknowingly put her more at ease and off-guard? "We're gonna have such a good time! Anyway, how are things at home? How's Remmy?" she asked, taking a free seat in their booth. It was nice to finally get off her hooves.

The first stop was Canterlot. Years ago she would've been excited to go, but now she's been so many times the magic was kind of lost on her. But at least they were going all around Equestria for a bunch of different shoots! Good money, and a good time! She was genuinely excited to get to work, but also to set her plan in motion for Valen. It'd have to be after the first shoot. While he's sleeping, most likely. The stole wasn't the only thing she bought... But she also knew Valen probably wasn't going to like her other purchase.

Pinchy had a lot of plans and they were all universally very good plans too. Shoots were of course par for the course. A few hours of actual work a day could
bring so much to a career! he was just happy that was so darn good at his job. Pinchy was not bad at hers. Still had to get better at certain aspects of her
performance. Modeling was not something that demanded extravagance in how you moved or thought but it needed a certain elegance. Maybe a bit of sternness, coldness, but with an approachable subtext. Pinchy just wasn't a great actress, which was part of what made Valen so good at his job- he was such an amazing actor, as his cutie mark told everypony.

She gave him a gift, a wonderful little stole- or scar, or shawl, or whatever term one used- that was soft to the touch and fetching. Without having to consider it
for more than a moment before ht threw it across his neck, fashioning it in the prettiest way possible. It was a wonderful gift. It looked very nice on him, matching his style perfectly and being so soft he swore he could fall asleep on it. Quite plainly, perfect. More importantly to him however was the fact it came from Pinchy. That meant more than she could ever know. "Oh Pinchy, zis is most divine, mon amour. It is so fluffy, so nice- vhat vonderful gift from a vonderful mare!" he said as they boarded the train.

"Remington is doing vell enough," Valen responded with a laugh. Truth be told it had been utter chaos trying to get everything in order so she didn't know what was up when she came over, but it worked. "He has found some good employ, very good for him, now he can help out with ze rent! Which is ist good for him, zince I am thinking of moving soon anyhoof," she laughed, getting comfortable. "Ze vide should not be long. Vould you like to get somezing to drink? Or pergaps visit our room, oui?"

• 1 month later...

Pinchy didn't have a stern bone in her body! Supposedly. One of her faults! But, with looks like hers, a lot of ponies seemed willing to put up with in. Plus, she had a sort of 'college ditz' personality that appealed to stallions. 

It certainly showed when 'Gilded' accepted her gift. Pinchy let out a cry of jubilation, immediately squeezing Gilded as hard as she could! "Oh I'm so glad you like it! It was a little on the expensive side, but I wanted to show you how much I appreciate you being here! I have a feeling this trip is going to be a life changer! I can feel it!" Kind of a strange thing to suddenly say, but if she was excited about the trip, she was excited about the trip!

But for now, she had to play it cool. This trip was going to change everything. She couldn't spring it on him just yet. She had to wait until the night after the first shoot! UGH, but the waiting part was always the hardest of any surprise! "That's good! I really should catch up with him a bit better sometime. It's always a lot of fun talking to somepony from foalhood. Of course I always have you, but it's always nice to see how everypony else has changed after so long..." Fortunately, Gilded was right. It wouldn't be long before they were at their first stop! The ride to the far reaches of Equestria were going to be the killers. "Of course! Lets! As for a drink... Maybe an iced tea wouldn't hurt? Just please, please please don't tell my manager!" she begged, hoping Gilded would know the discretion was a life or death matter here!

The rooms in these trains were always fun. Obviously cramped a fair bit, but it wasn't like people lived in these things. At least not for long. 

"Our accommodations are being completely paid for by the production! I'm so excited to see the rooms in Stalliongrad! Or.. or Hoofenheim! I've never been! *GASP* Maybe we can find some time to explore Prance! Eeee~!"

She was a real killer of good sense and order with her looks and personality. Of course some mistook her bubbly personality for stupidity or just a simple case of beauty making you dumber. He knew differently. She was just a happy pony who wanted to do well by others and he was lucky to have her as a friend, somepony he could trust, somepony who could cut to the core and do well by him. If only she could have loved him, but such was life- impossibilities abound in his world compounded by tastes of a future that he could never have. One could get glum if they were allowed to sweat it out, but he enoyed the company of those closest to him too much to find fault in the fortunes of his stars.

He would learn to find fault in the stars later in the trip.

For now though, everything was perfect. "An iced tea would be divine, mon amor. If you put a nice little spin on the tea and allow all of ze most flavorful parts to swirl around, it can make the whole thing melt faster- then it is second drink, oui?" she laughed. A nice iced tea sprinkled with salt made for a fine drink of questionable moral aptitude, but who needed morals when you needed friends? That line of thinking got friends in trouble all the time. And with Pinchy, who knew what sort of trouble they could have together?

Besides, a drink wouldn't hurt. Not four or five or with anything. Just enough to relax. He led her to the diner cart. It was still getting set up and was suited to only about six or eight ponies at a time, but it would suffice. He walked up to the little bar that was set up- a bartender was there, clearly still involved with stock. "Hello zer darling. I vas vondering if this filly and I may get an iced tea- vone vith some salt added," she asked, getting comfortable on the seat. The bartender was too busy to express just how beautiful the two were and got to his work. They'd have time for this drink and the bathroom before they needed to prepare for the show- and that was enough time for him.

• 1 month later...

She followed along, just admiring the train's interior. Somehow, no matter how many times she had been on one, traveling by train had a delightful atmosphere to her. Before she knew it, she was at the bar, being ogled by the bartender before he got the two 'mares' their drinks. But, she couldn't stop shaking some small, nagging fear in the back of her head that she might get found out too soon. She needed something to potentially divert suspicion... Maybe... Maybe she knew just what to talk about.

"Hmm... Gilded? I hope you won't mind me asking, since I know it's out of the blue, but you remember Valen Orange...? From when we were kids? I haven't talked to him in awhile. Always kinda wondered how he was doing, you know?" True, she hadn't spoken to 'Valen' in awhile, but she remembered him being a good friend back in the day! He just conveniently seemed too busy to get a hold of sometimes.

She couldn't push the question too hard, however. She wasn't good at being sneaky, but at least she was aware of that. This was all so knew to her. The whole 'plotting' thing... But if she could pull it off she just knew her friend would be happier! She just knew it! She couldn't let herself be startled by the thought of failure. This was bigger than that.

He listened to her hesitant questions with a hint of confusion, but a strong outflow of excitement. She had spoken with or about Valen sometimes and it was always nice, but just not good enough to really make the mask come off. He was looking for something she wasn't willing to give Valen and as much as that stung, he had accepted it. He thought. He believed. But every time she went out of her way to bring him up, there was that little part in his heart that told him it was always a possibility that feelings could develop over time. How they could really develop with him under Gilded's identity and not being able to talk to her as much he didn't know, but there was always a bit of hope there. And he would do everything he could to subtly move the pieces into place. As far as Valen was aware, he was the plotting one this day!

Too bad he was playing blackjack and she was playing Global Thermonuclear War. He didn't know that the only winning move was not to play.

"Hmm...oh, zat silly little colt? Oui, I do remember him. I see him every once in, how say, blue moon? He seems to have developed vell enough. Doing vell. Still think he is not with anypony, if you catch my drift?" Waggled eyebrows deployed playfully. It wouldn't have been much of a secret that Valen had a thing for Pinchy. It was more or less on his calling card since he was a colt. And being foalhood friends, no doubt Gilded knew as well, which made the whole topic very funny. But who knows, maybe she was going to ask next if he was single and now could instead ask if she could contact him for a date. That would ruin the whole schedule, but for such a worthy cause ruination was fine by him.

Valen drank, allowing Pinchy time to respond. The drinks were small so they wouldn't be here long, then getting ready for the show- time was somewhat short. But time spent with Pinchy was a win in his book no matter what.

Archived