Wrench Works [Ready]

FiniteZero

Roleplay Type: Good for most anything, except Romance.
Name: Wrench Works
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn
Eye color: Golden Yellow
Coat: Rusty brown
Mane/Tail: Black, cut short, rather messy usually. If she combs it, it's very straight and plain.
Physique: Wrench Works is a little bit on the lean side. The right side of her face, and trailing down the right side of her body, are large burn scars from an incident over a decade ago. The damage has mostly healed and the fur has regrown, with the scarrig only noticable on close inspection. Her right eye is missing entirely. In its place is a pupil-less white glass eye. She always wears a body brace, except when resting. The brace also cover three of her four legs, her right foreleg being sleek black metal. The leg is artificial, which whirrs when it moves.
Residence: She has a rather secluded unmarked home on the far ourskirts of Ponyville, which is hidden from passerby by being under a rock. The majority of the underground home is her laboratory, which has steel armor-plated walls to contain the explosions of any experiments gone wrong. She has three small seperate rooms aside from that, which are a kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom. All three are scarce and only have e bare essentials.
Cutie Mark: A gray gear with a red-handled monkey wrench diagonally superimpsed upon it.
Unique Traits: Wrench Works is quite intelligent with all sorts of mechanical know-how. Her telekinesis has a lot of dexterity, to the point that she can assemble and dissasemble any device she designed in an instant. She also has a mastery of her own body, given that she sees it as just another machine. While she can still feel it, she is capable of completely ignoring most pain. Physically, she is very frail, which is what the brace is for. She would not be able to get around without it.

History: To most ponies, Wrench Works is an enigma. From a young age, she and her twin sister Spanner Works lived in Canterlot, with their single father Max Power. He was a mechanic himself, working for the biggest company in the iron industry. Like their father, both had an interest in machines from a young age, playing around with little engineering toys and the like. In kindergarten, Wrench usually flat out ignored the other foals, prefering to either play by herself or learn from whatever books were on hoof. As the teachers, and eventually her father, pressured Wrench to play with the other kids, Wrench began developing a persona based on how she thought her sister and the other foals acted. She became exhubrant, brash, and a bit egotistical. She would act giddy and excited about math and science, and brag about how smart she was. While she was never as popular as her sister, she still shared a few of her friends. Wrench did not care about them in the slightest.

As they went into Elementary, Wrench dialed down on the egotistical side of her persona in order to be noticed less. She still did not care about anypony else, with the exception of her sister, but staying out of trouble tended to make her fade more into the background, where she could focus more on her own pursuits. She and her sister Spanner gained their Cutie Marks together, when they brought together a functioning toy train they had built together out of spare parts their father brought home from work. While Spanner was enamored with how happy the others felt when playing the toy they built, Wrench was more pleased with how smoothly it operated and how well it was put together. Once Wrench Works reached adulthood. She began having a desire to improve the odds and ends she built as a hobby. She used her father's built up wealth to study exonomics, politics, engineering, magic theory, and more. She used her knowledge of the first two to make investments and learn how the country worked. She saw a system that worked well, but she thought that the military was severely lacking.

And so she moved down near Ponyville, using her investments to build a secret lab and design various inventions, living in her sister's home at the time. She nearly burned the house down when an automatic lantern she was building blew up in her face, which resulted in her current appearance. She had her sister build the body brace and assist with the mechanical leg in order to get back on her hooves and go back to work. She wore an eyepatch to cover her missing eye until she had a white glass eye put in. Once her private lab was completed, she moved into it. She still resides there, making inventions and working on a plan to fix the problem she sees in Equestria's guard.

Character Personality: Wrench Works projects the persona of a fun-loving, if slightly odd, inventor, one who loves explosions and gets giddy at the mere possibility of witnissing a large one. This personality is short-tempered, but well-meaning. This is all, of course, false. Her true self is a cold sociopath, viewing the world on a purely mechanical level. She has a compulsion to fix and improve everything, which extends to Equestria itself. She is not above using any tactic to do so. She has a desire for control, as she feels that having it is the only way to improve anything. The only pony she has any real affection for is her twin sister Spanner Works, who Wrench feels has too little ambition for her intelligence. She does not like to take risks, though this can lead to inaction even when she could be of help.

Character Summary: While on the surface, Wrench Works is another quirky inventor, in truth she is a machine who wishes only the best for Equestria. She designs and builds weapons as a hobby, using investments to fund it. She is an enigma to Ponyville, as while she gets along with the other ponies fine, few actually know anything about her.

This character is a bit more (ahem) experimental than my previous one. I do quite like the character, though.

I will probably do a character sheet for her sister next, though hers might be less extensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I've given this a review! I really like the idea of this character :) Good job being original!

I think you may need to tone down the amount of tech in this app a little. In the FiM world there isn't technology to replace an eye with a camera lens. Are you saying the lens actually acts as an eye or just that the lens is there holding the place of an eye? The rest of the tech is ok by me after what we saw in Dr. Hooves' lab.

Let me know about the camera lens and I'm good with passing this along. :D

Greetings, your friendly neighborhood Mod here. Based on what's in this app, you'll need to make lots of changes before this OC can fit into a WoE environment. To quickly summarize the recommended changes:

• Get rid of the broken horn, since it's a really painful special-snowflake cliche.
  • Make your OC a general inventor instead of a weapons designer, as Equestria isn't big on experimental weapons.
  • The claw thingies are a bit too outlandish for WoE, so it's best to get rid of those too.
  • If your OC can't feel pain, he'd have no sense of touch period, so dispose of that unrealistic detail as well.
  • Retool the History section so it focuses more on your OC, and far less on other characters.

Lemme' know when these changes have been made. :)

To be fair, it's not that she can't feel pain, it's that she can ignore it. Her body is another machine to her, so she is somewhat detached from it in that way.

The "weapons designer" aspect fits into her view on the Equestrian Military. I'll lessen the focus so it's clear that she does other stuff most the time, though.

I'll go ahead and make the changes. Should be done tomorrow, hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived