Revival of the Thieves' Guild... Ugh...

"So you're sending me out there alone? In this massive land? To track down some idiot trying to bring back the Thieves' Guild?" Twenty-year-old Alex demanded, crossing his arms over his chest and staring at his father, Zed. Given the fact that Zed doesn't age, the two would look more like brothers, rather than father and son.

"Yup." Zed replied bluntly. "Except you're not going alone. Not when you have to travel between all of the major cities, and possibly the Everfree or the Frozen North."

"So you're coming with me?"

"No." Zed shook his head. "Do you remember Rhenn?"

Alex thought for a moment, biting his lip. "I... think so..." He said. "The Aerion that came with us on the last mission... what... fifteen years ago? Why him?"

"Because Rhenn is someone that I trust greatly." Zed said. "That, and there isn't anyone else able to. Brave is still captain of the Lunar Guard, and you know how busy Gale gets."

"Uncle Solar?" Alex added.

"He's next in line for the throne, so obviously he won't be able to." Zed tilted his head a bit. "What's wrong with Rhenn? I thought you liked him."

"I do. I just don't want to go." Alex said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I mean... you've never even told me why I have to go. Or why you haven't told anyone else that you're sending me off."

Zed nodded. "If Mother or Aunt Luna found out that I sent you off by yourself, then I would never hear the end of it. You know how protective they are of you. As for why..." He sighed and rubbed his eyes, looking around at the two bags that were packed for Alex, which included extra clothes, food, and a few supplies. "I'll tell you when you get back." He walked off to another section of the Main Hall. "Rhenn will be here shortly. He'll keep you safe from any danger."

Alex sighed and slumped against the wall near the main entrance of the castle, biting his lip nervously. He didn't like the idea at all, especially since his father wouldn't tell him the reasoning behind it. It was bad enough that the Guild that nearly killed him fifteen years ago was getting back on its feet, it was even worse finding out that Alex was the one going after it this time, rather than Zed.

'Rhenn will be here shortly' turned out to be a statement that expired, as the pony in question was on his way, though got distracted by a massive shindig with plenty of unhappy surrounding neighbours. But eventually the clippity-clop of the guard's hooves could be heard from a distance

Rhenn then came into view from around a corner, but seemed not to take notice of Alex hanging around the castle gate. The Areion looked as strong and able as always, though sporting a few scars of age like discolored spots on his naturally grey fur; specifically and most noticeably, his chin had traces of white as well as the back of his ears. There were also tiny white speckles pretty much all over him, but upon further examination the spots could be identified as salt. 

Alex almost went completely unnoticed, but at the last moment before Rhenn marched right past, he caught eye of the boy. He assumed that he would have met him somewhere deep in the citadel rather than, well, where he was.

"By Luna's wavin' mane, Alex, you're a heck 'f a lot older since last we met! I can barely recognize ya!" He approached Alex and gave him a little knock with a hearty laugh. "So you hangin' 'round 'ere all alone fer a reas'n? Or are ya dilly-dallying?"

Alex glanced up when he noticed the Aerion, managing a half-hearted smile in greeting. "Hey, Rhenn." He said. However, he didn't sound as enthusiastic as most would think... and for a good reason, too. Going off to travel halfway across Equestria on a dangerous mission without any of his family knowing wouldn't exactly sit well with most ponies or people. "I'm just waiting for you, actually. My father already said his goodbyes... I guess he wants us to leave as soon as possible before Celestia finds out." He said.

"Well well..." Zed replied, suddenly arriving with Alex's guitar case. "How are you, Rhenn? Growing old waiting for your wrinkle cream to work?" He joked.

"Har-de-har har. Well I f it ain't th' wolf-tamer 'imself." Rhenn expressed his amusement with Zed's humour before striking back with his own.

"Havin' fun keepin' secrets from mum? Y'know lyin' is a shameful kid's tactic, but I guess it does go rath'r well with yer baby face." he sneered raising an eyebrow as if watching for a reaction. "But really, what 'n th' name 'f Luna warranties ya keep secrets from Celestia? Ain't that worthy 'f punishment?"

"Pffffft!" Zed replied, but he still couldn't help but grin in response. However, the grin faded when he heard the last part. "All Mother and Aunt Luna will know is that Alex is off visiting a friend from college." He said, his heart racing a bit as he said that. He was a horrible liar, which would make this even more difficult for him. "I hate keeping secrets from them, but I really don't have a choice. They're too protective over Alex to let him go off on a mission like this." He said, setting the guitar case next to Alex, who sighed and picked it up. "Once you two come back, then I'll let you know why. For now, just focus on getting this guild stomped into the dirt, and make sure it never comes back. Because honestly, they're starting to annoy me."

Alex only gave a silent, melancholic nod in response. He had already received the lecture, so there was no point in arguing further.

Rhenn was silent as Zed's spoke as it was the polite thing to do, saving his thoughts for when his speaking would not be labelled as interrupting.

"Okay," he began "I can see a number 'f flaws with yer plan, one 'f 'em bein' tha' we ain't ever foolin' Celestia that long. Anoth'r bein'..." he looked at Alex and then at the lack of other ponies around "...just us?"

"I mean, I'm sure you've gone an' made Alex a wolftamer angel boy 'imself, but that ain' even close 'nuff fer shuttin' this entire org'nization. An' I ain't as rough 'n' tough as I'd like t' think I am. Not 'nymore."

Zed nodded, before sighing and crossing his arms. "I didn't say I would have her fooled for that long. I'll just keep her stalled for as long as I can. Once she figures it out, which I doubt she will until at least after a few days, then it'll be out of her hooves. The only thing her and Aunt Luna can do is hope for a a safe return for both of you." At the second part, Zed only gave a simple shrug. "I understand that. However, the guild needs to be stopped, and Alex is the one that has to get the job done. And honestly, there wouldn't be anyone else better suited to accompany him than you." He paused for a moment. "Well, there are a few, but none of them are able to because of their own rolls in Celestia's empire. Honestly Rhenn, if you don't think you can do it, then feel free to leave. But I seriously doubt that you'd want Alex to go off by himself."

As much as he enjoyed the idea of declining a mission for a break of relaxation, Rhenn didn't seem to thrilled with the mere option of leaving Alex to do such a thing on his own. 

"Okay Zed, this group 's persist'nt on wreckin' yer life. They ain't stoppin' at nuthin', so I'd best leave..." his voice silenced as if he was unsure of what he should say next. He glanced at Alex from the corner of his eye and blinked. "...so I c'n go fetch my trav'lin' things."

Though he had just agreed to venture off with Alex, Rhenn's pause caused a bit of solemn awkwardness which he tried to disturb "And maybe I'll go an' clean m'self 'f all this salt." He brushed a hoof along his shoulder, flinging the little white crystals out onto the ground. "Can'erlot's got policies 'n' stuff against it an' all."

Zed nodded, before rubbing the back of his neck. He wondered for a moment why Rhenn didn't already have his belongings with him. Then again, he didn't exactly tell him that he would be going on a long journey across Equestria. "You two be careful out there." He said, before giving one final nod and walking back toward the castle.

Alex sighed and picked up his guitar case and the few bags of supplies he had. "All right, I'll head down to the train and wait for you while you get cleaned up." He said to Rhenn.

"I'll be sure t' do all I can t' keep yer boy safe 'n' sound, and t' track down those buncha loonies!" Rhenn proclaimed as he waved and turned to not waste any time. "I shan't be more than an hour 'r two." Though he was on a schedule, he paused mid-hoofsteps and gave a concerned look back to where Zed had been standing, and then to Alex. Once again, he headed off to set up for whatever lay in the future.

The sun hadn't moved two hours of distance by the time Rhenn arrived at the Friendship Express boarding platform. He trotted right up to Alex and took a deep breath. "The air's fresh with adventure t'day. Almost reminds me 'f the days sailin' th' seas..." he sighed in reminiscence as he took a peek at what Alex thought to haul along. Rhenn had only his saddlebags that looked only barely filled and his ever-present spear, but that of course was more than enough to get by with in his books.

After a moment of thought, Rhenn also ventured to nudge Alex with his wing "Ya feelin' up t' this, Alex? You ain't 'xactly enthusiastic 'r anythin', and you've honestly look like yer bein' both'red by some'n'."

While he was waiting, Alex was so lost in his own thoughts that he barely even noticed Rhenn return with his saddlebags and his spear. At Rhenn's first comment, the young man simply gave a curt nod in response, nervously biting his lip. It was when he was suddenly nudged that he was finally snapped fully back to reality. "Yes, I'm bothered. This whole idea just... doesn't sit well with me." He said with a sigh. "I mean... I've never really traveled anywhere far in Equestria without my dad there with me. And now he's sending me off to keep this band of thieves and murderers from resurrecting themselves." He bit his lip. "The whole traveling, fighting, capturing... that's his thing."

"Well... I'm sure yer fath'r knows what he's doin', an' 'e wouldn' throw ya at someth'n' he don't think you can handle."

Rhenn trotted near the rails and looked to see if the train was in view. "Or maybe it's an angel tradition t' send their kids off into danger with no certainty they'd return." he teased.  

Alex bit his lip nervously has he listened. His father was very intelligent, so there may not be a reason to worry too much. Did he actually think that Alex could handle this mission? Did he really have that much faith in him?

Alex cringed a bit at the last comment. "That's not funny." He said... though, he still couldn't help but crack a smile.

"Maybe not, but let's get real 'ere. We ain't got no clue what's 'n store fer us, nor how dang'rous it'll be, but eith'r we face th' reality 'f our mission what'ere it be, or we accomplish noth'n' an' go home knowin' there's a growin' threat somewhere." 

The familiar whistle of an approaching Friendship Express train sang through the breeze to announcing its coming. Rhenn walked back to Alex after the engine rolled into sight and gave him a warm, reassuring grin "An' like I jus' said; Zed ain't gonna throw ya at a threat he don't think you c'n take! The way he spoke 'bout ya earlier made it sound like he thought you were th' only one t' ev'r get th' job done. An' I 'ntend t' be with ya ev'ry step 'f the way no matter th' challenge."

"...Cuz yer dad wouldn't be too thrilled 'f I left ya to b'come minced meat." Rhenn gave a bit of a forced chuckle, though grimaced at the thought afterward as he began to find distaste in his own humor too.

Alex's sensitive hearing also picked up the familiar loud whistling of the Friendship Express slowly getting closer. It was a private train this time, so there would be no need to pick up any tickets. "I'd much rather accomplish what we can, and be prepared for anything. Dad has dealt with these guys for nearly fifteen years. Maybe longer, considering he was younger than me when they first showed up." He said, moving his bags closer to where the train would stop. At the last comment, Alex bit his lip. "Again, not funny."

"Agreed. No more jokes fr'm me." the batpony coughed to excuse himself.

Soon the train cars had come to a halt with the trademark sound of hot steam expelling from the engine. Rhenn hopped up into one of the cars and motioned for Alex to do so as well "Best get yerself comfy now, cuz we ain't spendin' no short time 'ere goin' t'... Uhh..." He tapped his chin a moment trying to recall where they were even headed.

"So did yer pops even say where we're headin' first?"

Alex stepped into the train car and set his bags and guitar case next to one of the seats, before sighing in frustration. Either Rhenn had forgotten where they were going, or Alex's father never even bothered to mention it to the Aerion. "There's a small antique store owner in Manehatten who supposedly knows a thing or two about who is trying to rebuild the guild. We're heading there to interrogate him." He said, before flopping down lazily on one of the seats. "I'm curious..." He said, leaning back and closing his eyes. "What was my father like when he was my age? Did you spend much time with him?"

"Well..." Rhenn began to rework the old memory cogs about Zed by yet again tapping his chin "I wasn't in th' best 'f moods when I first met yer dad... I was rath'r agitat'd with a couple 'o' newbies 'n' also a bit hostile to Zach Eddie Davids 'r whatever his name was... Is." 

"But b'sides that nutty day an' th' followin' times, ah've gotta say I spent most 'f mah time 'round Angel Boy pokin' fun at 'im. We didn' meet oft'n, likely cuz I spent mult'ple weeks at a time away, so..." Rhenn paused momentarily as his thoughts snapped back to the moment "...So why are ya askin' anyway? Ya want'd t' know someth'n specific?" he wondered with slightly audible concern. After all, it's not every day Rhenn had someone as old as Alex coming to him wondering about his own father, especially when Alex had definitely spent more time together with Zed than Rhenn had.

Alex was fairly deep in thought as Rhenn began to explain, though it didn't look like it considering he was still comfortably leaned back with his eyes closed. He did perk up a bit when Rhenn mentioned being hostile toward Zed when he first met him... then again, who wouldn't be suspicious of a random bipedal creature that tames Timberwolves falling from the sky? At the last question, he only bit his lip. "Not really..." He lied.

"Alex. Ah've been 'round twice 's long as ya. You gotta try a bit harder than that t' fool me." Rhenn laughed.

With a blow of the whistle and a jolt, the private train began to chug into motion, leaving the Canterlot station to slide out of sight. 

"B'sides," Rhenn began as he took a peek out the window to watch the city pass by. He stretched to one side, letting loose a pop or two from his back and shrugged in question "What's th' harm 'n tellin' me?"

Alex took in a deep breath, before letting it out with an intentionally loud sigh. In response, a lock of his lip-length bangs were tossed to the side of his face, and he crossed his arms. "I've been worried that I've somehow held my father back. I mean... I'm old enough to know that having a child comes with a lot of responsibility, and I've been wondering lately if taking care of me has... well... changed him at all." He rubbed his eyes for a moment and shrugged. "I dunno. Maybe he hasn't, and it's all just the anxiety and hormones making me think too much." He chuckled.

Rhenn closed his eyes and leaned back onto the seat to look at the ceiling, letting a huff of breath escape from his teeth as he thought. 

"Well, Alex, as dauntin' 'f a thing 's it may seem, without change we wouldn' ever grow t' be any better than we were as young'uns." he pondered that a moment before adding "My own dad told me that no-one, no matt'r who ya are, quits growin'. We're ev'rchangin' 'til th' end, whate're it be." Rhenn bit his tongue with his last words. It wasn't the most encouraging thing he's said all day, but truthful. He left it at that though, thinking that Alex would make the connection he hoped would be made.

Alex simply gave a small nod in response as he listen to Rhenn's truthful words, which did indeed have the young man thinking deeply. If his father did change, then it was more or less for the better. Alex himself has come quite a long way from the uppity and happy-go-lucky child he used to be, but he still felt that there would be room to decide whether or not it was for the better. After a moment, he reached over to the black guitar case next to him and opened it up, revealing a rather expensive-looking electric guitar. The design itself was not all that special, and the only color it sported was black, giving it a rather monotone appearance. Alex set the guitar in his lap and gently plucked a few notes, before easing into a melodic pattern. 

The city shrank out of sight before long as the ground raced backward beneath the iron wheels of the train. Alex's music with the beautiful scenery of Equestria made it almost hypnotic to gaze out the window; which was not something Rhenn minded. 

He watched out the window for a good while as the chords kept strumming and plucking. Rhenn began humming deeply along with the music, first lowly, but soon noticeably-- only pausing to ask a simple question.

"You do this often?" he turned his head with his eyes following shortly after once peeling away from the sights outside the rumbling cart.

Alex seemed to be stuck in a trance as he played the instrument, watching his left hand carefully as it seemed to glide without much difficulty. It was a slow and gentle melody that would normally put most in a relaxed, meditative state that even seemed to affect Alex himself. The trance he found himself in broke for a split second as he heard Rhenn humming along to the slow tune, which the young man found both confusing - for whatever reason - and comforting. When he heard the question, the melody paused for a moment so that he could answer, as he often found it difficult focusing on playing the instrument while talking. "In general? Somewhat. I usually play in front of my parents. I've never actually played in front of others before."

Archived