Revival of the Thieves' Guild... Ugh...

"Really? I kinda pictured ya buskin' about Can'erlot 'r some'n' fer whatever reas'n." Rhenn amused himself with the thought as he swiped a hoof across his forehead a few times to fix his mane. "Playin' music don't take no small 'mount 'f practice... Who taught ya?" he continued the small talk, knowing that if he went silent for long enough, it would likely stay that way for many hours to come. He planned to prolong the inevitable silence, and this was a good chance to get to know Alex-- it's not like he really spent a ton of time with him before in retrospect.

Alex chuckled a little as he heard that first bit. Honestly, he could somewhat see himself parading around Canterlot while playing an upbeat tune on the instrument he carried around. However, he never actually had the chance to try anything like that, given how busy he was with either college or training. At the second question, the young man simply gave a shrug. "My dad has taught me bits and pieces, but other than that, I really just taught myself." He said. "I mean, that's how he learned, so that's the only way he could teach me. Play a few notes to make a riff, and if a few notes sound good together, then make a chord out of it. It's not the best way to learn, but it hasn't failed me yet."

"Well ya ain't half bad there." he complimented "Havin' th' discipline t' teach yerself someth'n 's useful fer a lot more th'n jus' music."

Rhenn looked as if he had more to say, but he backed away from speaking any further, instead just reaching into his saddlebag to pull out a scrapbook. 

"Ah, don't let me pester ya. Keep on playin' as ya were." 

"Heh, thanks." Alex said. He glanced curiously at the scrapbook that the batpony pulled out, before giving a gentle sigh and continuing his melody. He leaned back in his seat and relax, seeming to slip into a trance as he played.

Rhenn quietly opened his scrapbook and glanced through it, only making sound when he flipped the thick plastic pages. He eventually put his book aside on the chair and began watching out the train's window yet again. He continued as such without humming this time, and after a long while his weariness grew until he wasn't sure if the outside scenery was reality or fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...

Time seemed to carry no value in the twenty-year-old's mind as he continued playing, therefore he had no idea how long it had been until the gentle melody he had been playing slowly began to fade until it ceased entirely. The angel gave a deep yawn, before gently setting the guitar down next to him and leaning back against the seat, closing his eyes. "Rhenn... would you mind keeping an eye out?" He asked.

Rhenn twitched when Alex spoke out of the silence. He also failed to know when the train car went to the silence instead of the guitar's mellifluous sound, leaving the only sound to be that of the train running along the iron rails.

"Uh, yeah. Sure." the pony complied with a tired sort of accent with his already accented voice. Rhenn looked around in wonder about just how long he spaced out for, and if anything else had changed during that time. 

He sat upright in his seat as his mind began to process reality around him at normal speeds. "Gonna catch some 'Z's?"

"Just a few..." Alex replied softly, shifting a small bit before lying still and settling in comfortably in his seat, doing his best to ignore the sound of the train's wheels on the iron railing and just allowing the motion of the movements to gently rock him to sleep. It didn't take more than a minute or two before the young man was out cold, his exhausted mind finally able to rest for a decent amount of time.

Rhenn sat in place without motion for a moment and took a mildly deep breath before he took up his spear under one of his wings and headed toward the second car.

There was a small kitchen with a minifridge and toaster, a couple beds in which he would have liked to have known about earlier, and a walk-in closet that had a small selection of clothes. Rhenn checked a fancy suit jacket out of curiosity, and saw that it was obviously not designed with a pony in mind. He imagined what Alex would look like in it, and gave himself a little chuckle at the thought.

Aside from clothing, there was also a kit of useful tools of survival in case of an emergency. So naturally Rhenn went back to check inside the minifridge, and was delighted to see his favorite brand of cider. He reached for it, but then decided against it with his better judgement and continued his check back to the caboose.

Rhenn exited the second car into the swift, cool breeze between it and the caboose, and enjoyed the relaxing feel of a wave of coolness rushing over him. He turned the knob to enter the cabin, but oddly the door wouldn't open, nor would it after a good few nudges; sending an Un enjoyable wave of coolness down his spine.

Though it was unlikely, Rhenn began to feel suspicious of somepony else in the train-- his mind inevitably worrying him about how crafty the thieves' guild was. Another shove against the door proved unfruitful, and Rhenn began trying to assuage his worry by heading back to the engine to check with the train's conductor if he meant to have the caboose off-limits. 

Every step the areion took was well planted, and he was far more alert toward anything suspicious; from his readied hooves to his trained ears. Rhenn was unsettled and worrying about the endless troubles a potential intruder could cause, but when he reached the car Alex was in, he was relived a slight bit to know that all was well. 

Maybe I'm just paranoid, Rhenn wondered, hoping that it was the case. Either way, he wasn't gonna be comfortable for the rest of the ride.

Even through Rhenn's meandering about, Alex still barely even stirred in his sleep. It was a good two and a half hours before he finally woke up with a massive yawn, and fumbled next to him for his glasses. He stood up and stretched a little, stumbling a second as his body readjusted to the feel of the moving train. "I'm gonna go grab a drink. Nothing alcoholic, I promise." He said to Rhenn with a chuckle, before moving to the next car over. He took a deep breath of the fresh air as it washed over him for a few seconds, before ducking inside of the second car and heading straight for the minifridge. He moved to open it... then stopped when he noticed the sound of rushing wind, and noticed that the door on the other side was left slightly ajar. Alex sighed and walked over to it and quickly closed it, immediately assuming that Rhenn had forgotten to close it completely when he had been checking around.

Then there was a soft and all-too-familiar click of the door leading to the first car locking... the sound sending shivers down the young man's spine. 

"Rhenn...?" He said, before turning around. There was an Aerion, yes, but not the Aerion the boy was hoping to see. This one was a bit larger than average, with a completely pitch-black pelt and green eyes with slitted pupils that glared at Alex with a dangerous glint. Alex immediately went into a defensive pose, his fists clenched tightly. "Rhenn!" He called, this time much louder.

The large Aerion charged toward him with a deadly spear outstretched. Alex immediately acted on reflex and dashed to the side, his eyes searching frantically about for anything he could use to defend himself.

Though Rhenn was already uneasy, the moment Alex left the first car was the moment he just had the nagging feeling that something was definitely awry. He took another deep breath to keep his head level as he had been doing for the past while.

As he was doing as such, he heard Alex's faint voice from the other car. It sounded as if he was being summoned, so Rhenn began walking back to him, weary from worry.

As soon as he put a hoof on the door, he saw an unfamiliar silhouette through the windows across the gap between cars that struck him momentarily immobile in his tracks. Was there somepony else on this train? 

Snapping back into action, Rhenn flung the sliding door open as Alex called his name again with dire urgency and tried to do so with the next door-- to no avail.

Rhenn jumped back to plant his hind hooves on the doorframe behind him, and with a hard lunge he slammed into the door at full force. Without success, the areion turned and continuously bucked at the door, making it bend and creak greatly, but without breaking. 

Continuing the onslaught in the door would only begin to hurt Rhenn at the force he was applying, so taking up his spear, he swung it at the corner of the window and shattered the glass. Daringly, he jumped at the door again, bracing himself as he smashed through the rest of the window and rolled across the floor to collide with the legs of the intruder.

It seemed that the large black Aerion was too focused on trying to impail Alex to notice Rhenn right outside the door. Alex on the other hand was a bit relieved, but still worried that Rheen wouldn't be able to make it in time. The Aerion in the room with him continued to charge with his deadly-looking spear raised, and all Alex could do is leap and roll out of the way before he ended up od the end of the blade.

"Hold still!" The Aerion yelled as he thrust his spear once more, grunting as the boy dodge away and his weapon only pierced the thick wall of the train car. Before he could go for another stab, a loud crash made him freeze up, before suddenly being knocked off balance as a figure collided into his legs.

Seizing this chance, Alex charged forward and brought his leg up to deliver a vicious kick to the side of the black Aerion's head, which would knock him to the floor. Alex panted heavily and leaned against the wall, his entire body shaking violently. This had been the first time anyone has ever directly tried to take his life... at least, that he could remember. Definitely something he would have to speak with his therapist about when he gets home...

Just then, the door on the other side of the car slid open, and two more Aerions walked in. One had a more purple hue, while the other was more of a greyish blue color. Both were females and carried spears, which they were obviously highly trained with.

"Can't you do anything right, you big oaf?" The purple one asked with a heavy sigh, before stepping forward. "We're here for the two-legged angel thing." She glared at Alex. "Do us a favor and come quietly. It would make our jobs so much easier."

Rhenn had only just grabbed his spear and used it as support to get back on his hooves when the other areion made their entrance. He shook himself, letting little shards of glass flake off of him. Seeing more intruders aggravated Rhenn even further until his eyes looked almost drained of any hospitality.

"You c'n take 'im if ya make me quiet." he grunted at the ponies while taking stance to be ready for any moves they'd make.

The purple Aerion turned her venomous glare back to Rhenn, before a sly smile appeared on her muzzle. "That's a shame... then again, it's been a full day since I last got blood on my spear..." She swatted the larger Aerion on the back, who then jumped to attention. "Grab the kid and meet us in Manehatten. Beat him to a pulp if you have to, but don't kill him please~." She then nodded at the grey female, before they both suddenly charged at Rhenn, their spears jutted forward to impale him.

The massive black Aerion stood up and made his way to where Alex was, practically towering over the young man. "Now, just be still and-- Oi!" He was suddenly interrupted when Alex immediately drove his fist into the Aerion's snout. "My nose..."

Alex himself already had his fists up and a widened stance, shifting his weight back and forth between his legs.

Rhenn could guess that he was tougher than the two mares individually on sight, but he was outnumbered-- and who knows how truly skilled they were with their weapons. Though what worried him most was that he was unable to assist Alex unless he turned his back on the two that confronted him.

Then the purple and grey pony made their move, and with surprisingly swift motion for an aging pony, Rhenn swung his spear up horizontally and, thrust it down with a shout right onto their weapons-- pinning them to the ground and out of grip. Without giving any time to think, Rhenn swung his body around underneath him like a breakdancer to try to sweep the assaulters off their hooves. 

It seems the two mares had already made the mistake of underestimating Rhenn, as his first technique almost too easily pried the spears from both of their hooves. The second attach only partially worked, as the purple one was swept off her hooves and scrambled to right herself. The grey one however, was able to dodge just in time, and proceeded to throw punches at Rhenn's head and chest without even batting an eye towards her spear. She would get back to it some other time... The purple mare finally stood up and watched for a moment, circling them and waiting for an opening. "You could have just handed him over to us. It didn't have to be this way." She hissed.

With an animalistic growl, the large black Aerion seized Alex by the hoodie and tossed him across the train car, the young man's back and ribs exploding with pain as he crashed into the mini bar, completely knocking the wind out of him. What made things even worse was that he heard a small crack coming from his side... which was most likely not a good sign. He coughed and gasped for breath, then winced in pain as the action caused pain to tear through his ribs. The black Aerion continued to loom over him for a moment, before once again lifting him up by the hoodie and tossing him. This time, Alex hit one of the windows, causing it to become webbed with cracks. He shook and moved to get up, clenching his fists. This wasn't going very well for him...

Rhenn grunted as the first punch landed a spot on his head before he raised his own forehooves to block the volleys of punches thrown at him. He grabbed one of her hooves mid-punch and yanked on it, sending her over his shoulder and onto the floor, but not before she got another good shot at his neck.

Just then, the harsh crack of Alex crashing against the window shook Rhenn's senses. He looked up and saw the large areion closing in on Alex again. He couldn't let Alex get thrown around like that. How could he ever show his face to Zed again knowing that he let his son get beat up just to put up a harder fight-- assuming that he would make it out of the situation. This was hopeless.

"QUIT IT RIGHT THERE!!" Rhenn roared out, capturing everyone's attention. He turned and glared right at the purple bat "What's it you want." he growled.

As soon as Rhenn's voice rang out, everyone froze in place. Not even the sound of breathing could be heard, at least not over the noise of the train moving. Even Alex had to look up, confused as to what was going on. The large black Aerion turned away from Alex and stared at Rhenn, allowing Alex to limp away and gain a bit of distance between him and the brute. He clutched at the left side of his ribs, gritting his teeth at the intense ache he felt there. Yup... they're broken...

The purple mare stood to her feet and dusted herself off, giving Rhenn a deadly glare. "I thought I've already made it clear. We're here for the kid. And we plan to acquire him by any means nessecary. We have no quarrel with you."

"I ain't goin' nowhere but with th' kid." Rhenn said with calm ferocity, unintimidated by the glare. "You've got us beat. Nuthin' t' gain leavin' me, an' nuthin' t' lose takin' me." Oh, Luna, please let this be the right decision... his thoughts desperately pleaded.

The two mares glanced back and forth at each other, before the purple one sighed and gave a slight nod. "Very well. I suppose we can drag you along as well." She replied, before turning back to the large Aerion. "Keep an eye on both of them. We'll be in the last car... conversing." With that, she and the grey mare made their way to the back of the car and opened the door, giving Rhenn one last cold glance before the door closed, leaving the two with the black Aerion, who gave a deep grunt and walked over to the mini bar.

Alex sighed with relief, sitting himself at the edge of the bed and gritting his teeth while rubbing his aching ribs. "So this is what it feels like to break something..." He mumbled under his breath.

Rhenn returned the look back at the mare and jumped up and over to Alex as soon as she left the car "Alex! You alright?!" he worried aloud, though was partially relieved to see that Alex was still thinking at least a bit straight. 

"What do ya think broke?" Rhenn licked blood from his lip before gritting his teeth in stress. 

"Ribs... right side..." Alex said lowly, gritting his teeth and trying to relax from where he sat on the bed, his hand held firmly against the aching spot on his ribs. "Gods... this is probably the worst pain I've experienced so far... never broken a single bone in my entire life..." He shot a cold glare at the hulking Aerion, who was currently browsing the display of drinks at the mini bar. "I've got a stupid plan that might work..." He whispered suddenly, the young man's greenish-blue eyes glowing brightly for a moment.

Archived