(open) I wasn't crying!

Ashton

Celestia's sun was just starting to dip into the horizon, when any passers-by might hear a sad sound... was that... crying? it was coming from the hiking trail near ponyville that lead up into the mountains...

If anypony followed the sound, they would find a familiar orange pegasus filly sitting on a rock, nearby her scooter, with her helmet, leaned against a tree, and a large picnic basket sitting next to it, it wouldn't take a genius to realize that scootaloo had been waiting there all day for somepony, no doubt her idol, and that said pony had failed to show up... something all too common now that dash was a wonderbolt...

A hickory brown colored Areion was trotting at an easy pace upon the trail. His mane was made up of coal black un-ruly curls and his eyes were a vibrant gold. It wasn't often that he took these nature outings. Though, he was in Ponyville for the time being and the day was too nice to waste. Plus, he just might find a muse for a new song. Though, it wasn't long before the sound of whimpering(?) interrupted the melody of birds that sang out through the trees. Gibbous paused to listen closer to the odd noise in an attempt to pick out it's location. "Odd...where is that coming from?"  His ears twitched when it sounded again and if he wasn't mistaken it sounded like crying. A bit alarmed the Areion stallion picked up his pace in the direction it was coming from. "Oh!" As he reached the source he was a bit taken back by the little orange filly. What was she do I g out here all alone? Was she hurt? He pondered glancing over her and taking note of her scooter. Well if she had wrecked nothing seemed out of place or disheveled. Gibb approached the magenta maned filly though stopped at a respectful distance so as not to frieghten her. There wasn't many of his kind in Ponyville and he doubted she had come into contact with an Areion before. "What's the matter, little dove? Are you lost?" He asked in a gentle tone giving her a sympathetic but friendly pointy smile.

((you'll have to forgive me, not familiar with the "Areion" but from wht I saw it looks like a bat pony...?))

Scootaloo looked up, more than a little suprised "I... I wasn't cryin!" she exclaimed, which only drove home the fact even more that she had been, quickly wiping her eyes, after a moment of silence she said "I was going to have a picknick with Rainbow Dash" she explained, assuming that this pony knew about her, since, in scootaloo's mind, EVERYONE knew about dash --- of course it WAS more likely now that she was a wonderbolt, but given ehr stage name was Crash, it was just as likely they didn't... "But... she never came..." scootaloo sighed, looking on the verge of crying again "she enver has time for me anymore... she was going to show me her new stunt, see if I had any ideas for it, and I was going to show her my new scooter trick, get her advice... instead I just sat out here all day by myself..." she looked at the ground, clearly this was quite a blow to her...

((You got it. Areion is pretty much just like a bat pony. Just the name of the race. ;) ))

"Ah, I see."  He nodded in understanding. This little filly seemed to think a lot of this Rainbow Dash. The felt familiar on his tongue though, since he wasn't a local he couldn't really put a face to it. He felt sorry for the little Pegasus and wanted to comfort her with a possible pat on the head. However, he didn't want to scare her nor come off as a creep. So he simply sat down where he stood, giving her the option to move closer if she so wished. "I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure Rainbow Dash wanted to come though, something must have came up that stopped her. You see, adults can be a little loopy at times." He replied using his hoof to motion circles around the side of his head. "I personally think that we all have a few screws loose up their." Some more than others but, he wouldn't tell her that. He really hoped that this Dash person did get caught up with something else and didn't blow off the filly completely. "Hm. I'll tell you what. How about you show me your new trick and I could give you some feed back. I don't believe I've ever seen a filly ride one of those." He offered folding his leathery wings comfortably to his side.  

Scootaloo sighed "she never has time now that she's a wonderbolt..." she said "I mean, I'm happy for her living her dream and all, but..." she looked down "I miss her..."

Scootaloo smiled a little when the black pony offered to watch her trick "well, it's getting kinda late... but I think I can still do it" she grinned "Let me set things up!" she said as she drug a few logs over and then went to her bag and pulled out a grappling hook, of all things, then climbed up a tree. he could hear her doing something but it wasn't clear what she was doing, but after a few minutes she climbed back down, the robe in her mouth, dissapering up the tree, after a few tugs, she revealed that she had used the (apparently magical) grappling hook to grab a cloud... of course this was likely to raise the question of why she went to all that trouble instead of flying up there and grabbing it...

she continued to lay things out in what was obviously going to be some kind of obstacle course...

Gibb watched amusedly as the little filly scittered around collecting various objects and placing them in their apparent designated places. Just what did this trick entail? He was beginning to fret for her well being and a bit of his as well." Gibbous shifted his head as the orange filly scrambled up the tree. " My name is Gibbous by the way."  He called up to her peering up to see what she was doing. A puzzled look appeared on his face when she came back with a cloud. Why not just fly up to get that? Why did she climb up the tree anyways? She was a Pegasus after all. Perhaps she simply has not learn yet. "Might I ask what the cloud is for?"

"It's for the stunt, duh" she deadpanned as she worked, but then added, much more amiably "I'm scootaloo"

She finished arranging themuntill she had a loop with the cloud in the middle, she backed a waks off, putting her helmet on and buzzed her wings, she then sped towards the crude loop. Only sheer luck kept that scooter from falling off the logs, but as she hit the first part of the loop she leapt off the scooter, back-flipping onto the cloud, then immediately flipping again to land on her scooter... or she would have... if she hadn't mistimed it... the scooter kept going, coming to a stop just short of Gibbons before falling over, while scootaloo lay flat on her back, groaning "...ouch..." she muttered, more hurt in pride than body thankfully

"Well, it's nice to meet you Scootaloo." He chuckled amused by her spunky behavior. He watched as she readied to begin her trick. Hopefully this kid knew what she was doing. It really didn't want to play ambulance today. Before he could warn her to be careful she was off! Gibb watched as she haphazardly carried out her trick flinching as it started go a bit down hill. The stallion flexed his wings, ready to zip into action if something went wrong and she fell though, that  line of thought was thrown clean out the window as Gibbous soon found the filly's scooter coming at him. Gibb scrunched his eyes shut preparing for impact but was relived when it stopped short of running him over. Gibb got to his hooves and trotted over to Scootaloo looking down at her with a teasing grin. "Hm, you might want to work on your landing, dove. Though, the finesse is appreciated" He chuckled before stepping back and offering her a hoof.

Scootaloo sighed, taking the hoof up "yeah... I need more practice" she said, showing a little more humility than her idol would have, thankfully "I'm gonna try again though! I'm going to keep on trying untill I can do it perfectly, awesomely, and 20% cooler!" she said with a determination, even if the comment didn't entirely make sense....

None the less she hurried over to her scooter and went to make sure the cloud was still in position and still sturdy, evne thought he night was encroaching and it would only get harder and harder for her to see well enough to perform the stunt...

If he where to be asked to describe the filly in one word, he would have to say determined or passionate even. Either way he applauded her for that. Gibbous watched as she prepared to do the trick again. He wouldn't have minded to watch her again. As the little filly was already down in the dumps as is and he didn't think it was fair to have another adult her down today. Though, a glance to the sky one would see that it was getting rather late.  Which he didn't mind really, his race preferred the night. That was their realm where they exceeded in night vision and flying. However, the same could not be said for Pegasus like Scoot. Which were meant to be day flyers. "Scootaloo, don't you think it is getting a little late? If you wait any longer you won't be able to see on your flight back home, darling." He said pointing to the sinking sun with his hoof. "I'm sure your parents are starting to worry." And they would probably have a heart attack if they knew you were out here with a complete stranger. He thought to himself. 

Scootaloo seemed to hesitate "yeah... i suppose they would be..." she said, though there was a distant look in her eyes and a tone in her voice saying that there was more to this story than she was saying...  "I guess i'll see you around then, thanks for watching" she said as she headed off...

however, if he would follow her, discreetly, he would find she made her way to the horseshoe cafe, waiting in an alley nearby until all the lights were out, then walked over to the side of the deck and slid a rain barrel out from in front of a hole, then crawled under the porch and slid it back in place...

The little filly took off before he could offer to walk her back. It was getting dark and the tone she took when talking of her parents had given him an uncomfortable feeling. What was her story? Perhaps it was nothing and he was just worrying over nothing. Still...if she were to get hurt on her way home he would never forgive himself. Then again in the short time he has known her, Scootaloo seemed pretty independent and he didn't think she would take kindly to him following closely behind her. He made up his mind. With a few beats of his black wings, the brown pelted stallion took off into the air. He set to flying higher enough to where he wouldn't be spotted but low enough so that he could keep her in his sights. Which was too hard of a task given her coloring. After a few minutes had passed he was relieved to see that she had entered the town. Good. Her home probably wasn't too far now. The stallion's pleased grin was soon morphed into a puzzled one when he saw the filly enter into the alley-way. Didn't she know better than that? Sure, Ponyville was a small quaint little place but, there was riff raff everywhere! The Areion alighted onto the roof of a nearby building and watched. What are you about, little dove? He thought watching her closely for any sort of movement. It wasn't until the street lamps went off and the orange female began to move did things start to click into place. "Oh, no." His voice came out in a hushed whisper tinged in shocked sadness. Gibbous flew down from his perch and settled before the barrel that served as the filly's home. He let out a deep sigh before giving a few taps on the barrel to get her attention. He replacing the sympathetic frown with a smile instead.

At first he might hear movement inside, but at the taps, the sounds stopped, if his hearing was especially keen he might realize she wasn't even breathing, holding her breath and no doubt praying it wasn't one of the guards... yes, it was clear that she had no place better to go and was afraid of what would happen if she got caught...

His ears twitched as he listened to the movement inside. You idoit...you probably scared her out of her skin. He berated himself internally. Gibb shook his head before tapping once more. "Open up, little dove. It's just me." He called out in a soft tone so as not to alarm her anymore. He glanced up to the night sky noting the few clouds blotting out the stars. He wasn't a weather controlling Pegasus but if his notions were right, it was going to rain soon. She shouldn't be out in such weather.

There was the sound of scootaloo breathing heavily a moment after holding ehr breath along with a moment's hesitation before she slowly moved the barrel "um... hi?" she said meekly. Inside he could see a pile of scavenged cloth that had been made into a crude bed, with a few postered pinned to the sides of the deck along with an upturned crate that doubled as a desk and storage, with a lamp on it, and in the corner was a folded up tarp. She was certainly an industrious filly and had made good use of the washed-out area under the deck to make herself a crude home... such as it was...

His facial features brightened once the barrel was removed. "Hello again~" He greeted happy that she was alright. He couldn't help but peer into her home even if it was a bit intrusive. "Quite the set up you got here, yeah" He let out a whistle of awe. "Did all this yourself?" How long has she been on her on? And why hasn't anypony done anything about it? Surely these ponies here wasn't so incompetent that they couldn't see a little filly abandoned in the streets. He could feel his temper start to flare at the thought of it. But, he quickly got that in check. He wouldn't lose his temper in front of her. That would be completely un-called for. After he finished scoping out her crude home his gaze settled back on her. It was warm and friendly. "Have you eaten yet? I was hoping to pay you back for that wonderful show earlier." He didn't want to come off as patronizing or trying to show her pity. This filly had pride and he didn't want to hurt it.

Scootaloo nodded, though ti was clear she knew this wasn't a 'good' thing "yeah, most of it I salvaged, I repaired the lamp myself, and with some help from my friend sweetiebelle I stitched two old torn tarps together for when it rains" she seemed a bit proud of these feats. 

When he offered to get her dinner she seemed suspicious though "...your not going to take me back are you? I dont want to go back... and trust me they're glad I'm gone" she said, a little angry, though it didn't seem the anger was directed at her visitor.

Gibb held up a hoof. " My dear, I have not the slightest knowledge of what you are talking about. If you can't tell...I'm not exactly a local of here." He grinned to better show off his pointed fangs and flexed a leathery wing for emphasis. " I merely want to thank you." He replied in all honesty. Though he becoming increasingly interested in what she was talking about. "You have my word." He replied with a teasing grin and placed his hoof over his heart and bowing his head a bit.

She still looked a little hesitant "...The Home is a bad place..." she said "...Pinkie Promise your not going to?" she asked, completely oblivious to the fact that 'not being a local' meant that he would have no clue whatsoever about what a Pinkie Promise was... or how harshly Pinkie enforced people keeping their Pinkie Promises....

Archived