Guard Duty (OPEN TO ALL!)

PyroBlaze

Cryo walked along his route, patrolling the grounds for trouble. Today he had been assigned to the city, keeping the peace. 

The black unicorn sighed, looking around. Some days were better than others, but he liked his job in the end. At least his time for the day was almost done, he could head home soon. He had to wonder though, would today be as quiet as it had been so far? Both were good options in his opinion. 

Agile Speeds, Chief Master Sergeant of the Wonderbolts, was not patrolling the grounds of Canterlot.  He was patrolling the skies.  There had been quite a bit of airfare recently, perhaps because of some festival taking place?  He had first heard of the vibrant cultural festival from his cousin, Nightingale-and then from every other pony in court.  He went about his business, flying here and fro-making sure nopony got hurt.

He spotted a black Guard unicorn, and flew down, "Hey!  You also doing some guard-duty business?" 

Cryo looked up at the call, spotting the male easily as he flew down. 

"Yes, I am on duty currently. Is there a problem you wish to report?" He asked, watching the pegasus. He looked a bit familiar, where had he seen this stallion before? "Who are you?"

He laughed at the guard, the shrill, feeble laugh the Elites gave, "C.M.S Agile Speeds of the Wonderbolts.  No problem here, just bored outta my mind and interested in striking some convo with a fellow REA,"

He lifted a hoof for the Guard to shake.

Ah, so that's why he was so familiar. Cryo accepted the hoof, shaking it as he introduced himself. 

"Lt. Cryo Freeze, it's an honor sir." He said, releasing the hoof to give a quick salute. "What did you wish to talk about?"

"No, I was deployed at the time and was unavailable." Cryo responded, his gaze remaining even during that. "What was the result of the debate, sir?"

Cryo looked around briefly again, keeping on lookout while he had the opportunity. After he saw there was nothing going on out of the ordinary, he focused back on Agile. "What is it like to be part of the Wonderbolts?" He asked, watching the pegasus.

On 8/5/2016 at 5:41 PM, PyroBlaze said:

"What was the result of the debate, sir?"

Agile gave a laugh-like the snotty ones the Elite did.  He really didn't do it on purpose, it was just that: He was so often in court around such ponies, that he picked up their habits as fast as a guard would learn a new formation. 

"Undecided!  The meeting turned a bit too crazy~"

On 8/5/2016 at 5:41 PM, PyroBlaze said:

What is it like to be part of the Wonderbolts?"

"It's...not easy work-to say the least.  Better question would be 'What is it like to be part of the Royal Celestian Guards?'"

That laugh was a bit annoying if he were to tell the truth, but it was easy to just ignore it and move on. Cryo raised an eyebrow at the news that the meeting hadn't really reached a decision, nodding at his words about being a Wonderbolt. 

"It is off and on. Some days are much busier than others. Today, for example, has been very quiet. Yesterday I had to track down a thief, and broke up a fight along the way." Cryo said, scanning the area again. "I find it to be important work."

He nodded to Cyro's words, but stopped short of laughing once more at the last part.  "It's all important work.  Without us, who would keep Equestria safe?  Who would defend the Princesses?"

But part of his mind already knew the answer...even if it were from the Changing of the Guards.  We're nothing.  We're unimportant-the only aspect of importance is the fact of tradition that we're here.  The Royalty can very well defend themselves-and all of Equestria's greatest troubles have been fought off by them and their friends.

He couldn't quite shake it form his head, really: We're nothing.

"I am aware. I did not mean to imply my work was any more important than others working for Equestria's safety." Cryo said, looking back to Agile. He was expendable, he knew that. He was more than willing to trade his life so others could live. 

"Not at the moment, no." Cryo responded, his gaze remaining even at the shot at his age. He was plenty old to be putting himself in harm's way for the sake of others. The unicorn scanned the area again, not finding anything of importance. "Is there anything else, sir?"

He paused, thinking of his earlier years.  So much had passed since he had first joined the guards...

His marefriend~

His change of friends~

His involvement with the REA~

A wistful smile passed his face, and he smiled, "Not really~  We're actually around the same age.  It's nice to see another REG around these areas enjoying their work,"  He peered into the skies, before giving a nod, "There's not much happening today, other than some music festival.  What do you say about checking it out later with me after shift? I'm a bored stallion, and my marefriend thinks I need more friends,"

Well, he figured they were close in age, the pegasus looked like he was about the same age as him. The unicorn nodded at his words, not responding to the offer at the end for a little bit. Did he want to go to this festival with this stallion? Well... Pyro was always saying he needed to open up more, that he needed more friends...

"I suppose there is no harm in it." He said eventually, agreeing to the offer. "Where should we meet?"

The Guard seemed to debate for a while, nodding but giving a small pause of wait. Agile's mind began to spin, What if he doesn't want to be my friend?  What if that was too fast?  What if he mistook it that I liked him?  Should I tell him I have a marefriend?  His mind boggled with various ideas, and a slighty panicked breath escaped him.

Fortunately, all was put to rest when Cyro agreed.  "Well, shifts ends in an hour or so.  The Festival has already started, so I don't think the main entrance would be too packed up.  Want to meet there?"

"Yes, that sounds like a good place." Cryo said, nodding again. "If that is all, I shall continue my patrol."

He watched the stallion, waiting for a response before heading off down the road. 

Agile nodded, before zipping back up to the skies.  He watched the stallion head off, to continue on his sworn duty to serve Equestria. Part of himself puzzled why he had acted so smoothly to hang out with Cyro-and the meep, quiet, guard-like part of Agile was confused.  It was entirely unlike what he normally would have done.  Why did I want to be his friend so badly?

Why had he agreed to that? He saw no reason not to, but there wasn't really any reason to accept either. They barely knew each other. Well, he had to go now, he had agreed to it after all. 

Cryo hummed slightly to himself as he walked, keeping an eye out for any trouble. Maybe it would be fun, maybe not, he'd just have to wait and see. 

Agile watched the Pegasi traffic, but his mind was somewhere else.  Everytime he was a pair of ponies walking...ponies that weren't the same species, his heart clenched the slightest bit.  He thought about Prune Rose, his marefriend-and how she was an Earth Pony.  More than once he had flinched when she tried to take his hooves in public.  And he hated it.  He hated to find himself thinking more and more like the prejudiced Elites of Canterlot Court.  He hated knowing that he 'had a reputation to upkeep'.  

He hated that he was being affected by those around him, and he could do nothing about it.

• 2 weeks later...

He may have grown up in this city, and spent plenty of time with the elites over the years, but he was nothing like them. He didn't care what race someone was, for the most part, he cared more about what they do. Or, if he was on the job, whether or not they looked suspicious. 

Cryo made his way back to base as his shift neared its end, sort of looking forward to what was to come. He still wasn't sure why he had agreed, but he supposed it was better than returning to a likely empty apartment. 

Archived