Growing up.

AlextheAngel

Alex gave a slight yawn as he tapped his finger against the rim of his mug, the noise of the tavern buzzing about around him. He normally only came here to help the owner clean up and serve drinks, but tonight he was only here to relax. However, his idea of relaxation was a bit different from the others' in the tavern, given that he had ordered a non-alcoholic beverage. The only time the twenty-two year-old ever drank anything alcoholic was on special occasions, and even then he never drank more than he needed to be able to speak without slurring. It also wouldn't hurt to make a new friend or two, someone possibly beyond the normal ponies who acknowledged him as the son of the Angel of Equestria, and adopted into the Royal Family. The bartender, a young-looking Areion, smiled warmly and refilled his mug.

"Plan on staying much longer?" She asked.

"For a bit.." The angel replied, shifting in his stool. "If nothing interesting happens in the next hour, I'll probably just head home."

Eclipse sighed and rubbed her wing as she walked on the road. Her students had too much energy today, resulting in a dog-pile at the end of the lesson. Being a flight school coach was fun and all, but days like this made her feel more tired than usual. She looked around and noticed a tavern near by, thinking that she could use a drink. Eclipse looked around to see if anypony was watching before quickly making her way into the tavern. "I hope they have many choices of non-alcoholic drinks as I don't like the taste of alcohol." she thought as she looked around the room. There were strange ponies in the room, but the strangest one of all wasn't even a pony. He (assuming it was a male) looked like the humans she had heard about from her students, and there was one right in front of her now. Eclipse's gazed shifted to the bartender as she sat on a stool, trying to not make it seem like she was staring at the human so he wouldn't feel uncomfortable. "I'll take a St Clement's" she said after she skimmed through the menu, realizing she was only a couple seats away from the human. "Just look forward" she thought to herself, concentrating so hard that her glare could cut through steel. 

Alex shifted in his seat a little, at first not acknowledging the Pegasus that had entered the noisy tavern. However, he couldn't help but steal a curious glance in her direction when she sat a few seats away from him. At first, he was struck with the urge to start a conversation, before he realized that she may want to be left alone considering how far away she was sitting. After a long moment of awkwardly sipping on his cider, he decided to go ahead and take a risk. "St Clemens? Not a drinker either, then?" He asked the pegasus, adjusting his glasses.

"Oh, he's talking to me?" Eclipse thought when the human spoke to her. She turned to him and looked at him with a small smile. "I'm not very fond of the taste of alcohol and I can't let my students see me drunk" she shrugged, sipping on her cocktail when it had arrived. Eclipse wasn't much of a talker, her students know that much and force her to try talking to the other coaches daily, which was worse than a dog-pile. Maybe this was a good opportunity to make a friend without the encouragement of her students, plus she will be able to shove it in their faces if she succeeds...if she does. "What about you? How's your cider?" she asked, trying to keep the conversation going. 

Alex was relieved when he found that the female Pegasus didn't seem to mind having a conversation, and simply nodded in response. "I'm not a big drinker myself... only during special occasions. And even then I don't drink that much. The taste of alcohol is indeed repulsive." He agreed, tapping his index finger on his mug. He perked up a little at her second question... not that he had a very interesting answer or anything, but it caught him off guard that she seemed to want to continue talking. This actually made him smile a bit. "It's very nice, though... not as good as the cider the Apple family make at Sweet Apple Acres." He paused for a moment. "Please don't tell Kitten I said that... she'll probably never allow me in again." He chuckled a bit, knowing full and well that the tavern's owner wouldn't be so harsh. Suddenly, something she said made him stop and think for a moment. "'Students'? You mean you're a teacher?"

Eclipse laughed a little when he joked about the owner. She went back to sipping her drink until he asked if she was a teacher. "You could say that I am. I'm a flight school coach" Eclipse replied, turning back to him. "I say students but they are like my little brothers and sisters. I'm more comfortable around them than I am with the other coaches" she said, smiling as she thought of them. The man seemed interested in knowing more about her, looks like she's one step closer to being his friend. Eclipse did an imaginary fist pump as she thought of showing them that she isn't hopeless. 

"A flight school coach? You don't say?" Alex said, turning in her direction, his curiosity piqued. "You sound like you have quite the relationship with your students. When I was younger, the only flight coaches he could find were a bit... harsh. Instead, my uncle decided to teach me how to fly instead." He shrugged. "I'm fast, but I still haven't been able to do a Sonic Rainboom like how Rainbow Dash has done." He took another sip from his cider, sensing with a bit of relief that the Pegasus was growing more comfortable opening up to him.

"You have wings?" Eclipse asked, confused at what the human said. She has never heard of a human with wings, not even from myths. Maybe he is a child of a human and a pony, that could explain it. "When I was a small filly, I was the fastest in my class. At that time I thought that being the fastest meant that you were the best, but a friend taught me that speed isn't everything. Speed can win a race but grace can win the heart, which is why I'm a coach for fliers that are not as strong and built up as the others. Don't get me wrong, I admire Rainbow Dash for her speed and agility, but it isn't as beautiful as...oh, I'm sorry for rambling." Eclipse bushed, embarrassed that she talked to much.  She turned back to her drink and continued sipping. "I spoke too much, he probably thinks i'm a weirdo! I'm sorry my students, I faaaailed!" she thought, listening to the beating of her racing heart. Her cold gaze returned as she worried about what the man thinks of her. 

Alex nodded at her first question. "Yup. I'm actually an angel. After my father arrived here, he married a Pegasus and... well, I happened." He chuckled, taking a sip from his mug. "The wings I have are actually Pegasus wings." He paused for a minute to listen to her, before chuckling at the last bit. "Heh, don't worry about it!" He reassured. "I like to ramble at times as well. I guess that's something we have in common~." He noticed that she seemed a little nervous, despite her willingness to get to know him. The only thing he could do was try to make her as comfortable as possible.

He's an angel? So angels are humans with wings, that sounds really strange. His wings must me under his clothes then, does that mean he'll have to take it off if he wants to fly? That must be inconvenient, or he might just prefer walking. "Is that so?" Eclipse said, smiling as she calmed down. "I'm not much of a talker in the first place, but I want to be able to express myself without having to worry about what other ponies think". She turned back to the man and smiled, feeling at ease again. "Thanks". Eclipse didn't know why she thanked the man, but she felt like she needed to. "If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?"

Alex couldn't help but perk up at the last question, and he gave a small shrug in response. "Well, I don't really have an actual paying job... I guess I don't need to, since I'm part of the Royal Family." He admitted. "But there are times where I like to wander around Ponyville and Canterlot, looking for things to do and ponies to help out. I mean, it's what my father did before he earned the title Angel of Equestria. Once he retires, then it'll be my job to take over."

Eclipse almost had a spit-take when the man said 'Royal Family'. She softly cleared her throat and smiled, acting as if it didn't surprise her. "That sounds amazing. You father must be an amazing po...person. It's admirable that you are helping ponies, It's not everyday that someone with such kindness shows up" Eclipse said, smiling as she finished off her drink. "Well, it was nice meeting you. But before I go, can I ask what is your name?"

• 2 weeks later...

Alex chuckled and gave a slight nod, tapping his index finger on the side of his mug in a rather nervous manner. "Yeah... we do whatever we can. As nice as this land is, it still has a few bad apples." He said with a shrug, before once again perking up as she mentioned that she had to leave. "Alex. My name is Alex." He said, reaching his hand out to shake. "It was nice talking with you. Maybe... we can hang out sometime?" He added, unable to hide a hopeful look.

"My name is Eclipse; it was nice talking to you too" she smiled, shaking his hand with her hoof. Eclipse nodded when Alex asked if they could meet again. "Of course we can, same place and same time?" she asked, paying for her drink before walking to the doorway. She was happy that she was able to get to know someone by her self, it truly was a great accomplishment. Eclipse can't wait to brag to her students, maybe she could invite Alex to join a class of her's.

• 1 month later...

Alex only smiled back, before giving a nod in response as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a few bits to pay for his drink. "Sounds nice." He said, before getting up from his stool and giving a slight stretch and making his way to the door. "It was nice talking with you, Eclipse. I'll see you tomorrow!"

Archived