Monitor Question

Lux

Hello all! 

I need help from those technologically inclined that have and are familiar with Windows 10. I have a laptop which is connected to a larger monitor because I need a larger screen for drawing, watching videos, etc. Recently, I had a Windows 10 update which removed the option to duplicate the displays. Recently I reinstalled a software called Display Link Core which was lost during the update, thinking this was the issue, but so far the duplicate option hasn't been presented. I might try to restart my computer in case that is needed.

Is there some way I can get the Duplicate Display option in my settings again that does not involve reverting my updates or going too in depth into the system (a.k.a. I'm not very tech inclined beyond setting up devices and updating basic settings?

Thanks!

Lux

You will likely need to update your display drivers.

• Open start menu
  • Search for "device manager"
  • Go to "display adapters" drop-down menu
  • Check what company manufactures your video card.
  • Go to the appropriate site and download the proper graphics drivers
  • Install. Both major companies (nVidia and AMD) use driver management tools that should automate the process.

MMkay. I have an Intel graphics driver. After trying the recent version, it said that it did not have the minimum requirements. So, I'm trying the next recent one. 

Intel HD Graphics Processor 3000.

I tried updating it with the newest version of an Intel graphics processor, but it gave me a message saying that it didn't meet the minimum requirements. This is odd considering my computer is from 2011 and has over 600GB of internal memory left. The processor is also still fine. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong update? This is the first time I needed to update a graphics processor.

All right let's back up a bit. Did you try right clicking on your desktop, accessing the "Display settings" drop down item, and selecting the "Display" tab? There should be drop-down options for you to configure multiple displays, define a main display, and buttons for you to detect monitors and identify which monitor is which. Try this first.

Second, what kind of monitor is it and what cables/ports are you using to connect it to your computer? I looked up Displaylink Core and it appears to be a video over USB program. Most monitors use HDMI (same as you would connect to an HDTV), DVI (white connector), or VGA for older displays (blue connector).

Ok. 

So I did try accessing the Display Settings first before researching the graphics card. There isn't a Duplicate Displays option in the Display area (Advanced or Basic Settings), Only Extend Displays, Show on 1, and Show on 2. 

The reason why I mentioned the graphics card was because after doing a little research I noticed some responses were mentioning a graphics card. 

As for the monitor, it's a Samsung SyncMaster SA200 that uses a VGA cable that is connected to a docking station (which is what I've had configured before the update.)

I was able to duplicate the displays before this recent update, but not that option is not being given. 

Archived