To Hunt a Dragon [Closed] (Attn: Bellosh, Elderflower, Dubstep)

Pretzelparty

E9VF1tI.jpg

The situation was far from ideal. By Odyrr it was far from what she'd really wanted, but this was the chance that fate had offered her. She had few leads to go on beyond hearsay from arena combatants and a few EPIC reports. Sigrun knew that the red dragon that had bested her in the arena was somewhere in these badlands and if he wasn't, he would be soon. It was strange to be in this area of Equestrian soil... it seemed oddly familiar to roam in as it many features similar to Whitescar's lowlands during the warmer seasons: Although Whitescar could be considerably greener... and encounters with dangerous beasts besides dragons were much easier to run into back home.

The various dragon fiefdoms that lay scattered across these mountains had not seen much of Sigrun and her companion Balder, that or they'd just not been bothering with them. This was fine. If they would offer help, Sigrun would have to decline. If they stood in her way, she'd ask them politely but firmly to leave. If they refused, well she could only hope they wouldn't. Sigrun was determined to meet this adversary. Her wrath was coming for her prey with the certainty of a plummeting boulder. If the Dragonlord herself wished to get between her and the 'ground' ( the ground being Craven) well, they will only have themselves to blame for the repercussions.

Each day in these arboreal lands, Sigrun could feel a strange drive in her. Out here in the wilds where there was little to guide you. No clan rules, no worries about the rest of the world. You could simply be. You against the uncaring wilderness sprawled out in every direction. Each morning as she watched the skyline through her telescope she kept an eye out for her quarry…

She and Balder had been there for almost a week and still no luck, or at least not what she expected. One day they had seen a longship moving to the forest edge and setting up a camp. Through teamwork, Both she and Balder managed to knock out the bou who’d come and even tie them up securely to read their journals. What Sigrun read made her jaw hit the floor.

There was his name, right on the page.

“Craven.” She muttered under her breath, “It seems that fate is on my side.”

The journal said that they were… making a purchase. One mare, evidently worth a king’s ransom judging by the amount of treasure that was brought along in the boat’s hold. More than enough gold to bring a greedy dragon to this neck of the woods. They will need a plan. Something that would allow them to safely acquire this mare and then let Sigrun deal with her captor.

“Balder.” She called out to her greatbow wielding ward, “We need to set up a trap for some very large and dangerous prey. How good of a shot are you with that bow… because I’ll likely be putting your talents to the test soon.”

A hunt. A real honest to goodness hunt. Balder had never been on an actual hunt! Some training exercises, fake 'hunts' with Runa sure. But never a real honest to goodness hunt before! And now here he was, nearly a week into a hunt beside one of the most prominent members of the Caribou after a dragon no less! With Star Caller slung across his back, young Balder followed Sigrun dutifully. Keeping his wits sharp and doing as he was told whenever the need arose.

The lands they had found themselves in was hardly what one would call 'welcoming'. But compared to some of the places in Whitescar, this may as well be Ponyville. At night when they camped, Balder would stare up at the night sky to read the stars. He was no Watcher like his brother Olin, but he could point out a star or two the boded well for things to come. What those things to come might be, he couldn't really say. But he hoped it brought some comfort to the clearly determined cow.

Balder wasn't entirely sure what it was that drove Sigrun to hunt this dragon, this 'Craven'. But whatever it might be, it was enough for Limi to write him a letter, asking him to watch over her, lest she become lost to the hunt and the beast within. He had no idea what he of all bou could possibly do if something went wrong. He wasn't particularly strong, especially compared to Sigrun, but he swore to his friend he would do everything that he could to make sure she came home safe.

At the middle of another day, Sigrun had managed to spot a longship, one that was thankfully manned by only a handful of caribou that he and Sigrun (mostly Sigrun) managed to trounce and tie. It seemed that fortune, whatever flavour it maybe, favoured Sigrun's hunt and deliviered unto her a clue to her quarry. The question the cow posed afterwards made Balder equal measures nervous and proud. He didn't consider himself great at too many things, but archery was high among the things he did. "I haven't missed a shot yet. I haven't got any plans on changing that." he said with a smile. While he hadn't chanced hunting anything living, he spoke full truth. Targets still or moving he had yet to miss. He hoped that whatever he may need to fire at wouldn't break that streak.

• 2 weeks later...

E9VF1tI.jpg

"Very good. We'll have to put that to use... according to these shipping manifests; the 'cargo' these bou were to receive was to be delivered in a cage. Our quarry, Craven is planning to sell an Equestrian into slavery." Sigrun let out a snort at the very word, "Out hunt is going to become a Rescue mission as well... our first priority is to save the equine." Getting Craven to simply hoof her over was not going to be something the two hunters would be able to achieve in an 'honest' manner. If they simply tried an ambush then Craven could fly off and use his hostage as a shield. No no, this would require finesse and trickery...

It felt odd to have to resort to this approach but for the sake of their equine victim, "I believe that you will have to pose as one of these rebels and go through with the transaction. You'll have to get him to leave the cage with you if you can... and tell him his payment in treasure is in that second longboat: Which I'll be hiding in and will distract him when he gets close enough. While I'm handling him I want you to free his captive from her cage." She looked to the greatbow on his back, "If he attempts to fly away Do you think one of your arrows could ground him?"

Now, Balder knew this was a hunt was going to mean a fight. That much was obvious. But that hunt was after a dragon. The caribou wasn't going to back out on his word though, not to Limi and not to Sigrun. And knowing that there was an innocent Equestrian involved? He couldn't even back out if he wanted to! What sort of message would that send about his Clan? He was afraid sure, but fear must drive us to act not to flee.

The young caribou balked a touch at Sigrun's suggestion though. Him? Posing as a revel slaver? He glanced over at the knocked out bou that was tied up. His hoof was probably as big as his head, even if he was taller than him. There was no other option really, she couldn't pose as a rebel, Craven would recognize her. Which left only one of the scrawniest caribou ever. "I'll do my best. If I can land a volley it will probably bring him down at least for a while. But once he's down, I can't guarantee he'd be out." he replied with a nervous little chuckle. Sure he was a caribou and most caribou wouldn't blink at something like this but Balder wasn't most caribou, that was for sure. With a huff and a moment to mentally prepare himself, the bou gathered up the KO'd rebel's armor and donned it...Which of course was kind of big on him but it would have to do...

Archived