Jaded art from a Buggy person

The-Jaded-Bug

Well folks, I've decided to do the upspeakable (spoiler'd because size):

zecora1.png

I've submitted a piece of evil art for an evil enchantress. ohmy.png

But seriously though, Zecora has wormed her way way into becoming one of my favorite minor characters in the show, if not one of my favorites out of the series with the show's progress. As of how that happened? It's anypony's guess. Failed rhyming aside, I made this via charcoal andchalk pastels. I probably should have made her stripes a more grayish colour, but ah well. This was my first MLP fan art anyways, so I'm proud of it noneoftheless. And as for why she is crying? Eh, even MLP needs a hint of angst here and there.

Also, as for my second act of uspeakable crimes against Equestria (spoiler'd because, well, old design is old and there's a better one after this one):

Swift.png

An OC with could-have been drawn-a-little-better lines around it.

And as much as everyone dislikes exuses, I have the feeling that I'm the only FiM fan around who lack a decent vector program/tablet skills. That and the scanner's down at this point, and while I'm usually okay at taking pictures of my drawings/cropping/using brightness and contrast on PaintNET to make look alright, My original drawing of the pegasus above didn't come out to well when I did that. So what did I do? I somehow managed to turn the badly picture-taken drawing into some digital, mediocre line art, spent at least two days looking for colours on Wikapedia/some colour wheel, used paint bucket (how clever), and pretty much changed up my original colour scheme for the pony above. For better or for worse. As much as I want to, I'm not going to change the colours of the lines. I'd rather not mess it up even more.

And yes, I'll also be filling in an application for her some time soon. The partially hidden Cutie Mark this pony has is supposed to be that of a kite, and of all things, her name is Swift Kite (originally dubbed Swift before her Cutie Mark was earned, and has been normally nicknamed Kite since then). She currently works in a small, almost literally down-to-earth shop that sells homemade, hand crafted toys, and as her name and Cutie Mark suggests she's specifically skilled with making (as well as flying) various types of kites. The toy shop itself is run by an older unicorn pony and, with Kite being the only pegasus there and one of her few longer-staying employees as a former apprentice, the older mare will sometimes assign her with the task of buying different materials, as well as to seek inspiration for new toy designs in different parts of Equestria.

Aaaaaaaand...yeah, you'll be learning a lot more about Kite once I get her application rolling. The drawing isn't there to show her full blown persona, it's mainly to get a reference of her down.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Surv! ^^

On another note, I did a revision of Kite's color scheme:

Swift-1.png

And because I'm not sure if I'll be able to get some more pony art down at this point, here's some fan art I've done for Toy Story. Spoilers are on mainly because of the first two pictures, and all three have to do with with Toy Story 3 (though the third one isn't really a spoiler, but still).:

the_blushing_juliet____by_xthexjadedxbugx-d32rl52.png

FSCN3120.jpg

DSCN3148.jpg

Up to down: Juliette!LGM, Lotso, and Dolly. I didn't have a reference while I was drawing up the first picture above, so Juliette!LGM isn't all that accurate (the ears should be showing and she wasn't wearing her hair in a braid). The other details added however (the ectra gold, the fancy tassle, ext.) were added via artistic licence. The credit scenes after the movie pretty much funny/cute in general.

The second one is a ball-point pen drawing of Lotso, the main antagonist. Gotta say he's my favorite Pixat villain when it comes to, well, basic sadistic villainy, the fridge horror of the whole Sunnyside thing and his rather unfortunate/sad start to darkness. Also, he shoulda pressed the shiny red button, dammit!

Aaaaaaand, last but not least is Dolly! My personal favorites out of Bonnie's toys are Trixie and Mr. pricklepants, but I couldn't help but draw her cute/quirky ragdoll design. That and she was a lot easier to draw, but oh well.

Also, not including the Lotso drawing, I used felt tip pens, gellpens and water colors for these.

And now, for something entirely different! (only spoiled because size):

heart-3.png

flutter_by__butterfly__by_xthexjadedxbugx-d36voax.png

eye_see_you_by_xthexjadedxbugx-d36d1pk.png

Three charcoal/pastel drawings I did for my visual journal. The first one of the heart won a Valentine contest in a group on DeviantART that I'm in. For the second one I used some nature book as a bit of a reference to get down the shape of the butterfly. As for the third? That was mainly me getting the hang of making drawings like the other two above.

hi hi

I like the color scheme revision. The muted colors really help reduce the jarring contrasts that the original color scheme had. Were they perhaps inspired by your pastels? I really dig the pastel drawings too. :smile:

Thanks! I'm not sure what I was thinking when I went with the original. If anything, chosing colors from Wikipedia articles on them should be illegal. I was part way inspired by the pastels, as well as some helpful sugggestions I recieved from other bronys on the site. :)

• 4 months later...

Welp, it's time to update! This thread isn't dead, or at least I hope so...

Some multimedia stuff from my visual journal (in spoilers because size):

eye-2.png

An experiment I did with collage work, acrylic,paints and some charcoal pastels. I first made an eye-shaped collage of magazine scraps before painting it over. Then I peeled and folded over some of collage pieces. 'Twas quite fun!

^^

shining_star_by_xthexjadedxbugx-d33vosi.pngflower0001.png

My first two experimental collage pieces. Again I used magazine cutout, but with these I used felt tip pens and water colors.

crow.png

And last but not least, another collage experiment. This time I only used a sponge-like thing to add splotches of acrylic paint. Frankly, that was the only easy part about making this.

And on a small note, I'd rather not spam this page with every single thing I've submitted on my dA account. These here are actually some early stuff that I did (as in last year and the year before). Some of my stuff on there will likely show up on here with more updates, but I'll mostly focus on pony-related art/doodles.

Oh! and my first gif. I found out that, well, they're incredibly easy to make actually:

papergif.gif

Aaaaaaand, here's some pony doodles:

prettypony.png

This isn't really an OC as much as it's...a random pony I drew. I'll probably have it be an adoptable/give it to someone who really wants to use the design for a character of their own.

splattertinge.png

Once I get Gear Savvy's application done (and once I finish Gale's brother's app), you just might be seeing my dye-making/botanist pony, Splatter Tinge, showing up in the RP. And as for the random blotches on her pelt, they're just dye stains...or you know, splatters on a very pale coat, hence the name.

And as Dio nicknamed her in chat..........Liartinge

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

hi hi

I admit it, I'm a sucker for those little curly things. :) Also: I'm really rather curious about Splatter's hair color. Are those beads different colors than the rest of her mane?

As someone with curly hair myself, so am I! :D As for Splatter's mane, I was trying to make her mane appear to have particularly thick/curly hair without going for the usual curly Qs (or create an exact replica of the linework used for Pinkie's hair). I haven't quite out a mane color however: I was thinking about giving her a blue or purple mane, with the latter being more of a red-violet or a shade of indio as to differentiate from Rarity's hair color (as I intend on giving Splatter an off-white pelt). Though now that you brough up the 'beads', I think I might use two or more colors for her mane...

Quick update! I whipped this up a while ago, but I sort of forgot that I even had a thread open. Silly me. ^-^;;

Gale.png

'Tis gale, my little donky. Her legs/belly/eyes are supposed to take on a beige color, but scanners can be quite fickle. I think I'm the only one on the 'net who's a fan of the female donkey (or at least Matilda's) design, methinks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

S'more updatin' (spoilers because largness)~

wisteria.png

A potential character design for another OC I may app, Wisteria Bloom. Her Cutie Mark will likely have something to do with the flower she's named after, but how it'll be used/shaped will be a little more creative than just 'stick some flowers on her flanks and call it her special talent'. For at least a basic idea on what she might be personality-wise, let's just say that I'm incorperating both European and Japanese interpretation of the flower's symbolism and see what you can come up with...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi hi

She doesn't look like a very happy pony, I'm guessing that has something to do with the flower's meaning?

In a way, it definitely does. The wisteria flower/tree is accociated with love - or at least, some of the negative aspects of it. Its vines it creates represents how people may because 'entangled' in its hardships, or tend to cling or obsess over it. It also represents unrequited love, yet at the same time its vines also represent the ability to florish in spite of such hardships, because of their durability. In other words, you could say that Wisteria Bloom is a bit of a kid-friendly hopeless romantic of sorts, one that's learning how to find and handle her limits. I'm working with other aspect of the flower's symbolism while also branching out from it (pun not intended).

Because no one can get enough of dem dragons, I finally went through with drawing my character Patches~

Patches.png

For those of you wondering, I've pretty much prescribed to a particular system when it comes to greed and size: A dragon can grow faster if they let their hoarding instincts overwhelm them in a short amount of time (abnormal growth)...HOWEVER, without letting their greed consume every aspect of who they are, they can still grow to be just as large, but it takes much longer for them to do so (normal growth). If Patches were a pony that lived as many years as he has so far, then he'd (roughly) be that of an elderly stallion. But as far as dragons go? He's a 'teen', but pinning a number on him that would indicate his maturity level would be pretty hard, to be honest.

Pretending that the dragon above is on his fours (which he usually is, but I decided to go for him standing for now), he is a few inches shorter than two mares tall, (via measuring from the ground to the highest tip of his head-scales). colours and 'patches' aside, I took a few liberties that both kept as well as deviated away from Cat Napper's sketch of him, not denying that said sketch is a good 'un in its own right.

Oh, and among many other phobias of his, he's acrophobic. The fact that his wings are kinda huge doesn't lessen this one bit, to say the least...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

S'more OC stuff:

Cypress.png

Here ya go - one peryton with a side serving of fire-lookin' antlers! The name's Cypress, and as down to earth as she can be, she can be a bit dense (aka, very dense) as far as Equestrian society works. Has she the ability to brave the Everfree? Quite. But would she even be able to handle a trip to Manehattan? Er, let's just say that the chaos of being surrouded by a ton of bustling ponies would be rather overwhelming among other things...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aaaaaand...welp, even more OC-related drawings, including a sketch of someone elses character:

patchesfours.png

I'm not quite as happy with this one as I am with Patches standing, especially proportional-wise (and the fact that how I draw dragons varies differently than the shows). Before Dragon Quest, I thought that teens would be a little less anthro-ish (or at least be such to a lesser degree), but even after said episode, I still plan/see him as walking on his fours more often than not, simply because most ponies would feel a little intimidated if he were to loom over them on his hind legs.

Also, a rule of thumb: The average adult mare, assuming their tallest point is the tip top of their ears, would basically stand a few inches taller than where his wings meet his back. Thus, he'd roughly be around Luna's Season 2 heigh, if not a teeny smidge taller. He a rather lanky dragon, I know.

(And spoiler'd because old sketch):

ribbonpony.png

Random pony sketch of a random pony design that I really, really like at the moment. I think it's the mane. Or tail. Or her eyes. Will hope to finish this up soon, and possibly give a name for this ribbon-themed equine, and perhaps a bit of backstory too.

miasketch.png

And last but certainly not least, a slightly more detailed sketch of Apolline Allura's griffin chatacer, [colour=#3C3C3C]Aposemati - or as she prefers, Miasma Vice! This is definitely on my to-finish list.[/colour]

[colour=#3C3C3C]And before people start requesting freebies outta me, here's what I'll say: Nnnope. 'Twas draw for someone who was a leetle clower to me as far as the internet friend hierarchygoes, but even, 'twas just something drawn at random, as requests aren't the most motivating way of getting me to draw at the moment.[/colour]

You know, I'm starting to feel as though there's a little too much of me art-posting and too little feedback. Ah well! :razz:

Anyways, you see the sketch from above? Welp, I edited/finished it up today! Lookee here:

streamer.png

I've decided to officially name her Streamer, as in for party streamers. In a nutshell, she's basically a semi-introverted, artsy fartsy party planner - and by introverted (though not Fluttershy-esque, introversion and shyness are two different things), she oddly enough feel more a home/is a bit more social at parties, special occasions and holiday events than in normal, everyday situations. Leblablablah, insert-more-tl;dr-blurb-here~

• 3 months later...

Because updates are mandatory:

balancingpierrot.png

You might have either seen this either in my gallery or my latest app, but I'll just pointlessly advertise place this in here anyhow. 'Tis my first stallion-based drawing, but I'm really, really happy about this (those leg joints and the fact that there's a background, for starters). The quirky pony you see is Pierrot, a wandering Prench (or excuse me, Fancy)-Itailian actor and (secondly and slightly less of an) illusionist who, like many ponies in this day and age, seems to be lacking in luck in regard of the job department.

...oh, and he's mute. And perhaps has his origins set within the prestigious Circo dell'Arte. And yes, the 'dell'Arte' portion was blantly taken from artfully incorperated due to him being concieved after researching Commedia dell'Arte for his characterization (though technically Pierrot - the stock character, I mean - didn't exist until the troupe made its way into France).

Also, while this song has be pushed into peoples' faces almost as much as that illustration,

:D