A Student's Debt (Semi-Closed)

SteelEagle

The School of Friendship stood apart from the rest of the world from many angles. Up on high where it stood as a method of trying to bridge mass cultural gaps. From down low, where it seemed to be bright beacon of tried and true Equestrian virtues. It was special and unique just like the creatures that taught there and studied there, and it was a pleasure to even be invited there. From where Valen stood, it was a place of bright opportunity to repay debts owed. Could he truly be so lucky for even momentary stability, and the allowance of progress that would follow? He shuddered at the possibilities!

His life had been a ceaseless whirlwind of activity. Jobs for Miss Rarity took up much of that was responsible for a reasonable increase in his personal budgeting, as well as really solidified his desire for a career in fashion. The duplicity that came along with it was a condition of business. The success that was his? Well, he would be okay with the costs of that. What was less than exciting was the mistake he had made recently during a trip to Twilight's castle. He had...well, to be frank, he had destroyed some manner of magical artifact that Starlight had and by doing so had interfered with her research. A very dumb mistake, but one that was not without rectification.

Indeed, that was what brought him here! They had discussed some sort of contract and Valen had been asked to come to the School to meet with Glimmer about it, and what she needed from him. He was nervous. She was a mare of some great talent and import to Princess Twilight and he was loathe to let down a member of royalty, and he felt bad for ruining Starlight' work in the first place. But so many unknown unknowns made him anxious. What would she be asking of him? He calmed himself every time such concerns bubbled up to the surface. She had been an approachable and kind mare after the accident and he was sure that her tasks wold simply be aiding in her research. Twilight had Spike, after all.

He made his way through the School, aching to get a look at all of the fascinating creatures that stalked its many-hewed halls. He had a task though and set to it, finding Starlight's office in due time, a large saddlebag on his back filled with what she had requested he bring along for the ride. Despite the size of the school, much of it was taken up by the living spaces of the students and grounds for activities. It made finding the Guidance Counselor easy! He knocked three times politely, excited yet anxious.

Twilight's school did indeed prove to be a melting pot of cultures and creatures, one could argue that it was the single most diverse place in Equestria. How many other schools could say they had griffons, hippogriffs, ponies, changelings, dragons, yaks, you name it! And granted, while that did make the school all the more interesting, it too presented its own challenges. After all, when you bring so many cultures together, there's bound to be some friction! But that in part is why Starlight has the job here than she does. Being a guidance counselor wasn't the easiest job here at the school, but it was rewarding, helping ponies and others get what they needed to off their chest. And hopefully impart some wisdom in the process.

The mare was enjoying some tea when the rap-tap-tap came to her door. She didn't usually get students in around this time, which meant it surely was Valen. Gulping down the swig of tea she still had in her mouth, Starlight responded with a happy "Come in!" as she sat aside her cup and went about fetching out the contract that she had finally finished writing up just this morning. The unicorn had to make sure that the contract was both fair to both herself and to Valen, and that everything was legal. Which given that law wasn't her specialty, took a lot of research and study. Only interrupted for a night by a rather interesting sleepover with Discord and some friends. But now the paperwork was finished and legally and magically binding. A formality on the latter part really, she trusted Valen and was sure Valen trusted her, but it never hurts to be careful.

And there it was! “Hello, Miss Glimmer!” Valen said cheerily as he trotted in, offloading his saddlebag near her desk. So this was her office? It wasn't much off from the office of the guidance counselor at his academy in Manehattan. Well-stocked with all sorts of aids to help the counselor relate to the students. He always wondered how many of them were collected for the simple pleasure of seemingly having every conceivable topic covered and how much the counselor believed he or she would actually use over any given school year. There was value in being prepared for anything he supposed. Couldn't fault anypony for that. And what did a counselor at the School of Friendship even do? He imagined that problems encountered here were harder to spot, less drastically terrible, but more insidious in nature. With a school of friendship experts, he doubted that any problem long festered.

Whatever it was, Valen was confident that Glimmer had it under complete control. She was calm, cool, and collected in almost all matters. She had a bit of that over-preparedness streak that could sometimes slay Twilight, but that wasn't one of the worst sins one could have. “Your office is really pretty, Miss Glimmer. You take such good care of it!” He said as he opened the bag, taking out clothes, a sleeping bag, and some essentials. “I brought what was requested. I assume we'll be working long into the night?” He asked as he packed everything neatly by the desk. “And the contract, of course. I haven't forgotten that. I brought my officiary and personal stamp. Had to have it mailed from Manehattan! Celestia above you wouldn't imagine the shipping rates for something so small. How have you been, by the by?” He asked as he pulled up a chair to the desk and sat down, excited to see what their plan was.

• 2 weeks later...

"Hello to you too, Valen, it's good to see you!" Starlight said with an equally cheery smile. Having some help would be absolutely fantastic, especially from somepony who was so eager to impress as Valen. "And thank you! I try to keep it welcoming and relaxing for anyone who needs to come in and catch a breather." it did help to have a hodgepodge of topics around the office, just in case you needed a jumping off point or a prop, or whatever you might need.

"Probably! Getting everything sorted out with the contract though is the first step. It's not surprising that you're well prepared though. As for how I've been? Well settling in to the guidance counselor role is sure taking some getting used to." some of the students had more stress than others getting used to the school...while others brought more stress than others getting used to the school. Starlight took a sip of her tea and let out a little sigh before smiling again. "And how about you? How've you been since we last met?"

“Oh, I've been well. Some work down in Roam, which was very exciting as I got to work on my Itailian a little. Very beautiful language but I've had my issues with it. I speak Equestrian and Prench well enough that I think I should be allowed to not speak at least some languages poorly. Don't even get me started on Germaneic. I don't see how I can do that one as well!” He laughed, tossing his mane. He had arrived back in town not all that long ago, in fact. It spoke to his commitment to righting wrongs that he didn't do much besides get ready for this day outside of his work. Hopefully this commitment would transfer well to whatever it is she needed for him to do in order to pay back the debt he owed.

The debt he owed didn't seem like much to an outside observer. During a tour of the castle he had destroyed something that, on appearances, didn't look to be worth all the hubbub. But it was a rare part of a rare spell that was being crafted, ruined all because of him. Worthy enough for a debt of some significance. It was why he had sent to Manehattan for his personal stamp and notary materials, so this contract would be as official as he could make it from his end. He was excited to see it in its completed state as well. “So, I'm all ready. Are you, Miss Glimmer?”

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh! Vous parlez Prançais! I'm learning a little myself from a very close friend of mine. It's...certainly not as easy learning something like that as an adult." she said with a bemused sigh. Maybe she could do something about that. Sure there were translation spells, but that wasn't nearly as interesting as actually speaking the language. But that was a problem for another time, for now there was a contract to sign! The mare now dug out an inkwell and a quill from a drawer in her desk. "I'm afraid I don't have anything quite as fancy as a personal stamp or things like that, so an old fashioned signature will have to suffice!" the mare's horn lit up and levitated the quill, dipping it into the ink before she signed her line on the contract with an expert flourish. With her part done, she slid the documents over to the colt.

"Now, we don't have to get started on any major work right away. We'll have lots of time this evening, for today is there anything you'd like to do or anywhere you'd want to go?" Just because there was a debt to be paid, didn't mean it had to be something rushed through. And besides, it would give them both a chance to get to know one another better as friends. "Oh, I know. If you've not already had lunch, we can stop by somewhere, my treat!"

She finally signed. Excellent! Always good to have the work done as quickly and efficiently as possible The worst thing one could do in such situations was to delay it. Delay invited procrastination, it bred laziness, and Valen could be claimed to be many things but lazy was never one of them. As Starlight signed Valen got out his special quill, dipping both it and the family seal in the special ink. He then took the contract and signed it with a flourish, taking the seal and pressing it when he was done. Just as quickly as it began it ended, with Valen putting the quill, the ink, and the seal away and tucked back into their secure places. Just like that the contract was signed, sealed, and soon to be delivered. If he was lucky they could get to work as quickly as possible. But before that could be happen, options existed.

Hmm, was he hungry? Not necessarily. And how interested was he in the premises? A little. Truth be told he was fine just getting down to work, but she had a certain tone that told him there would be a lot of work done at night. He wondered why. Surely work done during the day would be easier? More help that way...but more distractions, and potentially issues. Ahh, that was it. Maybe if he was here more as an organizational aide then all the distractions and chaos surrounding the day to day life of a guidance counselor would prove difficult for Starlight to manage alongside ensuring he was doing his part to remove his obligations. Made sense. Work later, it seemed to be. Fine by him! “Well, let me see...maybe a bit to eat, that could be nice. Giving me the details on what you need from me, perhaps? In all honesty I am rather content. Just excited to get working!”

Perfect! With the contract signed at last, that was one big paperwork weight off of her shoulders. There was still the matter of her magical help desk thing she planned on setting up...She really needed to get a good name for that. Maybe Valen would have some ideas? The mare smiled and rolled up the contract and tucked it back away. She'd make some copies later just in case they were needed for any reason, but for now lunch sounded great. "Great! Truth be told, I skipped out on breakfast today to make sure everything was in order one last time. Let's head to Sugar Cube Corner, I'm hankering for something sweet." Starlight replied with a giggle. It was nice to see that she had an assistant that was so eager to help! The mare wasn't sure how much of that was actually wanting to help just because and how much of it was wanting to rush and get the debt paid off, but it'd still be nice to have some help either way.

"Sure! It's nothing too glamorous or spectacular really. It's just sort of a general assistance sort of position. It'll vary day to day depending on what I may need a helping hoof with, but things like helping me keep papers organized, assistant student counseling, magic assistant, picking up lunch if I'm busy." she listed off a number of things as the two of them began their way out of the school and towards Ponyville proper. "I...hope that doesn't sound too overwhelming. It's not supposed to sound like you'll be doing everything all the time twenty-four seven. I promise I won't run you ragged." Starlight smiled kindly over at Valen, sure there were a lot of different things she may need help with, but she didn't really plan on making the colt do everything every day! The poor guy would need time to sleep and free time to take care of his other obligations as well.

Sugarcube corner? Valen wasn't going to complain about something sweet and delicious, especially not when it was easily the best bakery in town. Still, if she wanted something he could have picked it up on his way here. He'd arrived what, two minutes ago? Oh well! Valen smiled and was excited for...a doughnut, maybe. That sounded good. “Well, that sounds fun. Can never say no to Sugarcube Corner!” He said, following her out with a nice trot. She was a mare with a good amount of taste but everypony who was anypony loved themselves some Sugarcube Corner treats. They could delay themselves a few moments in time.

They went out and time was being made well. Valen always loved a good trot across this beautiful town. He hoped, he wished, that everypony understood how lucky they were to live in a town like this. It had a lot to do and was growing fast but was still holding onto the rural charm. If ponies ever ruined this town it would be through overexposure. Too much too soon would turn an honestly interesting town into a tourist trap kitsch attitude about it. That would be tragic. Couldn't see that happening- this place was just so...honest about itself. He hoped it would never be anything less than the perfect town it was.

Just as Starlight was about his duties. Valen was pretty certain that the duties ascribed were more or less what he believed it would be. So far, so good. Nothing too strange! Valen laughed. “Miss Glimmer, that all sounds pretty normal. I wouldn't expect my job as your assistant to be anything else than just that, an assistant. Helping you complete your duties, making your job and life easier until the debt is paid? That seems entirely within reason,” Valen said with a wide smile as they approached Sugarcube Corner. “Anything you need me to prepare for?” He asked as he opened and held open the door.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent, Starlight had been craving a good cupcake or two all morning. Skipping breakfast was never a good idea. It always seemed to mean extra portions later in the day and getting tired sooner. Breakfast really was the most important meal of the day. As the two walked along and discussed, Starlight couldn't help but to giggle at the implication of 'normal'. "Heheh, well I've come to learn that things that happen in Ponyville rarely stay normal for long! I'm sure though your job will be fine, I'll do my utmost to make sure you're stress free! Working off a debt doesn't have to be a headache." she replied with a nod and a smile.

"Hmm, I think tonight will just be a sort of...orientation night. I'll help you get used to where things are at the school and in the castle, I figure you visit town often enough to know where things are outside though. And if doesn't end up getting too late, maybe we can do some magical target practice or something." Ahh, the smell of Sugarcube Corner always lived up to its name, the wonderfully sweet smells wafting through the bakery would make anypony's tummy rumble. Starlight's was no exception. The mare laughed a bit and gave her stomach a pat. "And maybe with your help on hoof, I won't have to skip breakfast anymore!"

• 2 weeks later...

Valen was just happy that nothing untoward was planned. He was pleased always to meet new ponies but it was his experience that the magically inclined could be a strange bunch much of the time. They saw the world through the prism of possibility, where flesh and mind were malleable and potentials intriguing. He had secretly been concerned that he would be the unwitting and unwilling aid in some crazy magical acts. It was a good day at the park when he could just go ahead and help a pony in her work and pay off debts without such great worry over his head Of course then she said something about being a guinea pig and his ears perked up. “Wait what-” Valen tried to ask, his mind racing with momentary concern.

He never got those words out as Pinkie Pie, previously and perilously dangling her head in a fire pit to get a cookie before it fell in, suddenly popped out and noticed that she had company. Yay! “Hey there!” Pinkie Pie yelped excitedly, making her way to the counter in a flash, cookie in mouth. It was counted as a loss already, might as well make it found- in her stomach. “Fancy seeing you here! I was about to make my 'Good Friends Free Once a Day Baking Surprise Tray' full of goodies. Buuuuuut I guess you're just going to have to pay,” she leaned in and waggled her eyebrows. Then she busted out laughing, “just kidding! I don't do that today,” another delay, “that is Saturdays only! So, what can I do for you today?” She asked as she finally saw Valen. Her eyes lit up. “Oh! I have something for you! Wait right here.”

And with that, Pinkie zoomed to the back. The sound of pots and pans and baking lambs and a few moments later she came back, a small chocolate cake in hoof. “Here ya go! Give Rarity my regards. Anywho, back to business-” she said, making the sound of rewinding tape and the motion of it too, not that anypony should know what that was. “Starlight, whatcha wantin'?”

• 4 weeks later...

And there was the perky pink party pony herself. Starlight was thankful Pinkie hadn't caught herself ablaze at that firepit. She'd go up like a sparkler! As expected, the ubiquitous mare already knew Valen, no surprise there. Nor was there much of a surprise in her having something ready and waiting for a friend. Starlight smiled and watched the little exchange before Pinkie had turned her attention to her. "Hehe, good morning Pinkie! Valen and I just got done signing some paperwork. Starting today Valen's my new assistant!" she said giving the colt a gentle pat on the shoulder and a comforting smile. "I figured since I skipped out on breakfast and my sweet tooth was calling to me, coming by for a snack would be a good idea."

Starlight loved coming to Sugarcube Corner whenever she got a chance. She wasn't AS much of a sweet lover as Pinkie was, but when one has a craving, it's hard to deny this is the best place to swing by. "As for what I want, hmm. Oh surprise me! You've never let me down before in that department!"

Pinkie Pie, the premiere party pony partially perplexed perpetually by why everypony didn't just stop and smell the roses, was happy to see Starlight in such a good mood. She could be such a worry wart when it came to her work that Pinkie Pie sometimes worried herself that she worked too hard, parties too little. Probably unfounded and truth be told she thought that about...most of her friends. She respected their reasons why but that didn't change how she felt, which is that there simply weren't enough parties going on. Or baking, more ponies needed to get her tasty treats. But what was even more exciting was ponies making BIG MOVES and it sounded like a BIG MOVE was taking place. “Oh, that makes Valen the new Spike! Valen, you're the new Spike!” Pinkie said as she pat Valen on the head. “Except unlike Spike, you don't have a crush o her, you just work with her! Unless-” she had a deep intake of breath, “do you have a crush on her too?!”

“Uhhh Pink-”

“Hush! I'm no good at keeping secrets lately, so we'll say nothing and pretend we did,” she said with a smile, turning back to Starlight. “So Starlight, did you hear about Valen? He- oh,” she chortled as Valen rolled his eyes, “silly me, you were here the whole time. Back on track!” she said as she ducked down, coming back up a second later with some apple pies. “Applejack just delivered these, so they're piping hot and de-licious! One, two, or fifty-three?” She asked, bringing the cash register up in between the two of them. Okay, so maybe Applejack hadn't delivered fifty-three of them but she had a few of them and while she had one set aside for her (and set aside stomach space for it) it was always a best seller. The best apples and Ponyville's best baker combined to make the best apple pie!

• 3 weeks later...

Starlight chuckled at Pinkie's enthusiasm. It was hard to tell sometimes if Pinkie seriously thought some of the silly things she spouted off, or if she was just being a teasing goofball. Maybe it was a bit of both. But she was partial right, Valen was kind of Starlight's Spike now. But a crush on her? Pfft. Well. Stranger things have happened but she somehow doubted that...Either way the mare chuckled and shook her head, go away blush. "Uh, just two Pinkie, I think fifty-three would be about fifty too many. Maybe some other time." Starlight poofed in a coinpurse to dig out the bits that she owed before smiling over to Valen. "Don't worry, Pinkie's just playing around." she said to reassure herself just as much as her new assistant on the matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Valen made his way back to the school in tow with Glimmer, happy to have some treats to pass the time. What Pinkie Pie had said was weird but she was a...wonderfully silly mare, somepony who was never willing to let something go unsaid if it flashed across her mind. It was a strange thing to say but Valen didn't give any thought to it. He sure did spend a lot of time with Miss Rarity but business was business. With Sugarcube Corner in tow Valern was excited to get on the day's important tasks going on. He carried their food as they approached the school. “Oh, I know not to put too much stock into what she says. Very kind mare, a bit loco. Anyway, time to get to work, right?” He said as he looked around. It was the middle of the day and so students were in class.

He wondered if they had missed anypony who needed her. And if they had, was he to blame? Part of the debt? Likely not, he hoped. The debt would be paid eventually but he didn't want additional counseling sessions added to that debt. “That and working on these treats. Sounds like we have a good day ahead of us, right?” Valen asked with good humor. He was also interested in seeing what his quarters looked like and some of the less work-related aspects that involved his new role as her assistant. Better to know what his life was going to be like under her employ sooner rather than later!

Archived