Light As Air (Closed: Foxxy)

SteelEagle

8XeOsHy.png

Rarity took a deep breath of the high altitude air. It was truly special to be able to enjoy it the way a pegasus would, the purity and freshness of it standing in stark contrast to the muddied air down below. Well, muddied was unlikely to apply to a small town like Ponyville as it would to a metropolis like Manehattan but once you experienced the purity and ease of the air this far up it was hard to hold the same neutral opinion ever again. She could perhaps allow that the airship wasn't as pure as just flying across teh sky but she wasn't about to snub her nose at the sheer luxury being proffered, especially considering who was doing it.

This airship trip was not planned by Rarity. Indeed, if anything, this was perhaps a slightly slower way of getting to Seaddle for the opening of her new shop and a meeting of the Equestrian Guild of the Arts in order to promote the creation of a new fashion museum in Canterlot. She was going tp donate a portion of her more famous works to it and was holding fundraisers to help promote the idea. The Seaddle Benefit was one of the most important since the Seaddle membership were growing more and more influential, and getting them to go along with it would go a long way to seeing it come to pass. Not to mention another store! Ahhh, it was always wonderful to see your business thrive. Almost as wonderful as seeing your personal life follow suit.

It had been some time since Applejack and Rarity had come to terms with their feelings and embraced them, and each other, in a very public manner during a rodeo in Appleoosa. It had been a whirlwind since then. Their friends weren't shocked. Indeed, a few knew and she was very upset at them for allowing both mares to struggle so mightily without the other.  Regardless of her little tiffs with their friends it had been a very exciting time for the pair. They had explored what their love meant in a very supportive environment and it had been almost perfect. Almost because at times she was still unsure of herself, still unsure if she was making the best decision for the both of them. She still wasn't sure if it would work but she was sure that together they would find out, one way or another. 

When she had announced her trip to Seaddle, it had been Applejack who had been suspiciously quick to suggest an airship ride, suspiciously quick to get tickets, and suspiciously quick to get the time off from the farm she needed to travel with Rarity while she did her work. They even left three days earlier than she had planned for it. Indeed Rarity suspected that it was all part of a ploy to get the fashionista alone, the brute, but she was helpless to Applejack's charms anyway. And so here they were on an airship, Rarity enjoying the balcony of their private suite before prancing back in.

"Have you taken a deep breath of the air outside, dear? I mean a real deep breath. How divine it is!" She said to her fillyfriend, assuming she was in their main room. It was an excellent suite. A small bedroom and a small main sitting room with an equally small bathroom may not have truly tickled either of them on the ground but it was an excellent little suite on an airship for a lone couple traveling without dependents. It would be enough for the pair or so she hoped!

• Apple 1

Image result for applejack

Applejack lay back on the bed and sighed. Golly, she'd sure worked hard in life and it seemed to her she was finally able to reap some of the rewards of that. To say she felt lucky was the understatement of the century! Sure, she still had striving, still had goals for her farm, her family, and herself, but it seemed a bit of her dreams had finally come to fruition. She, Applejack, had finally found the mare of her dreams. 

It had been tough for her, real tough to get this far. Lots to come to terms with, family members to clue in, and then of course working up the guts to git 'er done so to speak. Being a pony well away of her heart and willing to do as it said, still had a hard time believing how hard it had been for her to explain her feelings to the unicorn. She figured it had somethin' to do with the fear of her love being unrequited. Looking back now she didn't know why she'd been so unsure of Rarity's feelings. She knew now the unicorn loved her back, though deep down they both felt a tiny bit of apprehension. Was tis really the right thing for both of them? She figured time would tell but she sure hoped what was happening now would just continue on and on.  

When she'd figured out Rarity was going on one whirlwind of a trip to Seaddle she'd done what she could to make it special for both of them. Bits weren't really even considered when she booked the date on the Air of Fortitude. The ship regularly made the voyage from Canterlot to Seaddle and the timing was perfect! AJ had booked the best for her unicorn marefriend. She knew Rarity liked the finer things and wanted to cater to her tastes. Truth be told since spending so much more time with Rares she was fast learning to appreciate the high life more herself. She would always have those grounded roots but she'd found herself more and more able to loosen up and enjoy a raspberry in her champagne, the feel of fine fabric against her skin, a luxury airship trip to Seaddle. 

Really she figured the whole thing could be counted up to the giddy skip in her step she had every time the unicorn shared a kiss or came close to her. At this point she'd decided she would just ride out the feeling as long as she could. AJ'd never felt this good, this whole, ever. Sure she had family who loved her and her place on the farm, but the longing inside her heart was now fulfilled. It made her feel... lighter than air! 

She rolled off the bed and trotted out to the main room. She'd heard Rarity trotting in from the balcony when the sliding door opened. AJ stood there, mane a muss, no hat, and a blush on her cheeks. That happened a lot when Rarity was around. 

"I have sugarcube," She smiled and drew near to plant a kiss on her mare's muzzle. "But I'd love to share another one with you!"

She stepped out and gazed over the clouds. "Bein' a winged creature sure has some advantages huh?" She giggled. "I thought bein' up this high might make me nervous but I guess we've both gotten over than over time." She thought back on the adventures they had shared together over the years. "I think the best adventure might be startin' now." She looked deep into Rarity's eyes. "What do you think?"

After a moment the farmmare's tummy rumbled. "Heh heh!" She rubbed it ruefully. "You can take the filly off the farm," She trotted back inside. "But yah can't take the farm outta the filly! It's time for lunch!" All meals on the airship were fancy affairs and she wondered if her mare would let her get any food without looking a bit more formal than she did now.

• Like 1

8XeOsHy.png

Rarity tittered a bit when Applejack gave her a kiss. It was hard not to! It was also hard not to notice the dreary nature of her mare this morning. Unwashed and unkempt may suit Applejack back when she was at Sweet Apple Acres but it would certainly not behoove her to attempt to normalize such barbarism in the company of so many well-to do ponies. Especially the well-to-do pony she was kissing! As Applejack kissed her Rarity levitated a brush and started to brush Applejack's tail. "A breath with you is one never wasted, dear," she replied jovially as she turned to head back out with Applejack. 

The wind would soon play havoc with any desire of hers to corral Applejack's messy mane situation but she didn't stop trying absentmindedly, brushing the tail over and over again as they enjoyed the deck again. "Take it from a mare who once flew with the pegasi...it definitely has its advantages," she laughed lightly, "but also many disadvantages. Could you even imagine having to wash wings? They get dirty so easily and you have to be so delicate. Remember the first few weeks after Twilight got her wings? Poor mare had a certain...err, aroma about her wings. Rainbow called it...oh I don't remember. It was rather vulgar and descriptive," she laid her head on Applejack's strong, broad shoulders. "I'm content with my hooves on the ground, an adventure waiting for me right here."

She could hear Applejack's stomach rumble a moment later and pulled back. Less because it was uncouth though it was and more because she knew that she needed to feed this mare sooner rather than later. "It certainly is time for lunch, but do something abut your mane and tail. You must look presentable if you're going to be seen in this splendid airship outside of our tiny little suite," she replied with a knowing tap of the brush on the base of Applejack's tail before she trotted back inside. She may be dating a farm mare but she was going to ensure that the other passengers saw Applejack the way Rarity did: Radiant.

• Apple 1

Image result for applejack smile

Applejack felt the brush continuing the run through her mane as they stepped outside together. The farm mare didn't go up close to the railing too quickly. Sure, she was fine with bein' waaaay up in the clouds but it still took her a moment to adjust when switching views to the far far far below! 

The brush continued an attempt at quelling what was a raging mess as AJ trotted about, listening to Rarity go on about wing maintenance. When she was finally finished AJ nudged the pristine mare lightly on the shoulder. "I don't recall askin' about takin' proper care o' wings," She chuckled. "But A'course you would think of that, seein' as how-" She irked her words as the brush hit a rather difficult snarl of tail hairs. "Seein' as how you always notice when a certain pony's not in her tip o' top form in the looks catagory," She winked and went back inside. 

AJ knew Rarity liked her to present herself properly. She usually did, well, sometimes with a bit of reminding from the unicorn. She had in fact been trying to become more considerate of Rarity's tastes. Heck, AJ had to admit it did feel nice to look clean and fresh more often than not! She made her way into the bathroom and got to work tidying herself up. After a few minutes she'd gotten things under control in the mane and tail department, banding them with her signature red. Her locks were gleaming golden and shining clean. She even dabbed a little sweet water to make sure she smelled less of the orchard and more of the apple blossoms. 

"I'm sure you've got an outfit in mind for lunch don't yah Rares?" AJ glanced through a drawer she had dumped a few items into earlier. After a few moments she had selected a very handsome red and yellow neckerchief and fastened it around her neck. This she followed with a lovely ruby encrusted broach in the shape of an apple. A token Rarity had bestowed on her not that long ago. 

"So?" She eyed her reflection in the room's tall mirror. "What do you think? Good enough for lunch?" Her eyes strayed towards her stetson. She'd feel more comfortable but she knew how Rarity felt about wearing her stetson at fancy events.

A few moment later she trotted over to the door, holding it open. "After you sugar cube!" This was followed by another oh so lady like stomach rumble...

• Like 1

8XeOsHy.png

Applejack may huff and puff every once in a while about Rarity's grooming but as far as the fashionista was concerned she was being more than reasonable. Indeed, she wasn't asking for Applejack to bathe with the finest shampoos, use the best conditioners, dress in beautiful haute couture dresses day and night and keep her pelt soft and supple to the touch. She was willing to settle on a day to day of simple beauty and cleanliness, both of which were easily within Applejack's wheelhouse. What was acceptable after a rough day in the fields or selling at the market was not nearly as acceptable out on vacation or on a planned date. Applejack would grow into that realization just as Rarity would grow into her gradual acceptance of a basic desire of cleanliness being enough. It seemed a fair trade, no?

"Oh, nothing much. I have already cleaned up well enough and this room is a little small to fully stretch out the wardrobe! I will have a nice hat. They tell me a sunhat is too gouache for an airship so I say, 'Rarity, design a hat that is gouache enough for an airship!' and so I did," she said as she levitated the 'less gouache' hat onto her frame. It was a nice maroon and red number, tilted just so to allow small strands of light to filter through and giving her purple mane a darker, more dangerously seductive complexion. She couldn't claim to have done so on purpose but she would happily take the benefit. In a few moments Applejack exited with a beautiful little scarf and a fetching broach- one she knew very well. "I'm so glad you like it, darling," she said as she laid a paw on her mare's chest and gave her a kiss. 

"Now come. Let us get something to eat before you get too ravenous," she said with a large smile as she led them out of their room and into a narrow hallway. Too narrow for them to walk side by side and allow for anypony else to use it. She locked their door behind them with an enchanted wooden card and trotted forward. After a few moments there was an opening to her left and she took it, which led to the main lobby of this floor of the airship, the upper passenger floor. Several large rooms were in this one lobby- a dining room, stage show with seating, and rimmed with pools and massage chairs. Quite elegant, and there was so much more to the vessel! For now Rarity made their way to the dining room and picked a nice table for the two of them, using her magic to push out Applejack's chair as she took hers. "Have a seat, dear."

• Like 1

Image result for applejack in bandana

Applejack couldn't help but smile as the lovely unicorn took a seat on the opposite side of the table. She looked absolutely mesmerizing! And better yet, she knew how AJ felt. She wasn't out of reach like she used to be. The spark from her kiss before they left their cabin was still on the farm mare's muzzle. Her heart was full. The hole that had been there for so long was no longer there! She had family, she had friends, she had the farm, and most of all she had the mare of her dreams! 

The mare leaned back in her chair and sighed happily. The lunch dining area was nice, nothing fancy but nice enough. The dinner dining was a different matter entirely. Before she was with Rarity she would have seen the whole thing as one big waste of time. But, the unicorn had already done a number on explaining to her just hoe important such events could be! For the first time ever AJ was able to see a little glimmer of that, guided of course by the charming fashionista! 

Eventually a waiter came and took their orders. AJ requested a bottle of champagne for them to share and then a sunflower salad. The main course could wait for the time being. Once the drink arrived she poured a glass for herself and Rarity. 

"To a relaxing adventure for the both of us. And to time spent together!" She raised her glass.

image.png

Art by the amazing: Goldendaze!

The bat was on it! He was on this case! He'd tracked the culprits to the particular airship and he knew they were aboard...somewhere...

"Two diamond horn rings, a crystal seeing monocle, and a coin purse with a fair amount of coin inside..." He went over his notes to himself while he walked down the length of the airship. The cool air outside helped him think. He tapped the notepad lightly to his muzzle in thought. "I got the tip off they'd be aboard..." He raised a brow. "But, not sure anything's been stolen since this flight started." 

Gridlock made his way into the dining area. A sandwich wouldn't hurt, he hadn't eaten in quite a while. 

The bat made his way to an empty two seat table and sat down. After ordering a black coffee, he took stock of the room around him. Everything seemed normal except...

"Geez Louise!" He almost spit the sip of coffee he'd taken when he noticed the pair of mares not far from him. "I knew the rich and fabulous frequented these airships but," He took another sip. "Saviors of Equestria?" Well, if anypony would know if something fishy was going on, these two probably would. 

He made his way up to the pair and spoke casually. "Ladies?" He nodded in greeting. "The name's Gridlock," He glanced back and forth briefly. "Manehatten P.D." 

• Like 1

8XeOsHy.png

Applejack ordered something light and so would Rarity- to a fashion, anyway. A nice salad to warm her belly up for the day, though likely something more than Applejack. Rarity had a hard time eating the few days leading up to the trip for a reason she couldn't quite pinpoint and she wasn't entirely full from last night either. Best to satisfy now- surely dinner would come and the appetite return! "I shall have a warm pearl barley & roasted carrot salad with dill vinaigrette," she asked, her eyes bigger than...no, her stomach was plenty empty enough to make room. The champagne arrived and Applejack poured the pair a glass each and raised a toast. Rarity joined her, briefly sniffing the elegant aroma of the drink as she did so.

"To a relaxing adventure, and the two of us, no matter how conflicting those desires may be," she winked as she clinked her glass against Applejack's and brought hers back for a solid drink. No doubt there was truth to those words. An adventure could hardly be called relaxing, and the rustic and the high-class could hardly be called a matching suite in a card game. It proved the former viable when the latter turned into a pair of high aces on the table, no?

She was enjoying her new terminology when they approached by a batpony. Nothing unusual there, nor his Manehattan accent, until he told her who he worked for. How strange. Had they done something untoward? His demeanor suggested no, so she approached it as pleasantly as she could with any number of her devoted fans. 
"Officer Gridlock, a pleasure to meet you. I am Miss Rarity and this is my paramour, Lady Applejack. And to what do we owe this meeting, Officer? Or is it Detective? I can't say I know of any business I have with the Manehattan Police Department," she said with a chuckle, glistening eyes speaking to a bubbling sense of curiosity. "When I use the phrase 'drop dead gorgeous' in my advertisements, it isn't a threat!"

• Like 1

Image result for applejack in bandanaimage.png

AJ blushed as her mare spoke of differing desires. It was true, they didn't quite see eye to eye but that was one of the things she liked best about Rarity. She was a wealth of interests and skills that the farm mare had absolutely no idea about. She'd found herself more and more willing to loosen up and explore Rarity's world but she of course had sticking points. She was as stubborn as a mule sometimes and it was only with a gradually softening heart that she'd developed a taste for some of the finer points of life.

She sipped her drink and felt it relax her. Life had a way of keepin' on comin' and that left AJ with tension throughout her body. Speaking of which...

"I ah, planned somethin' for us this afternoon," She winked playfully. "If yer interested." She chuckled at the thought of what she'd endeavored to put together for them. "There's a spa on board that I'm sure yah know about. Anyhoo, I uhhhh, made us a reservation this afternoon. Scented candles, soft music, massages, facials, hooficures..." She swirled a hoof in the air. "The whole nine yards o' what you like!" She gave a half smile, hoping she would impress the beautiful unicorn with her idea.

A few moments later this Gridlock character showed up. AJ held back a snort. Not exactly what she had in mind for a romantic lunch between the two of them. This guy had quite the gall to trot on up like this. She rolled her eyes. Rarity however had the presence of mind to be generous with the graciousness...

----

Formalities... Gridlock was forever short on them. Leave it to him to not even give a title for his position. He wasn't much for titles, he was for getting the job done. However, this was the famous Rarity he was speaking with. As with most ponies Gridlock was stricken by her beauty right away. Applejack however, well she seemed gruff to say the least. That was fine, he'd play her game. 

The stallion chuckled at her comment and pushed his sunglasses up from his eyes to rest near his poll. "It's uh," He winked casually at her. "It's Detective Gridlock." A quick smile. "But Grid's just fine for the famed Rarity and Applejack." He reached behind him and swung a chair from another table around. He sat in it backwards with his front legs crossed on the backrest. He glanced to the left and right before speaking in a lower tone. "Either of you seen anything uh... suspicious around her lately? Hear of anypony loosing something of value?"

8XeOsHy.png

Rarity could hardly contain her excitement at the prospect of a spa on the airship. She knew it existed, of course. Indeed, she had learned all she could about the spa when she had first learned of the vessel itself. It was highly rated as expected of any such establishment on a vessel such as this. Perhaps a bit too costly but you paid extra for the luxury of getting such services this far up. Experiencing such service at the height of a pegasus "A spa! How wonderful. I cannot wait for it. My  pores could certainly use it. And a nice hooficure too- how divine it must feel this high up. And you could use it too. Your shoulders look a little tense. Likely from having to carry the weight the world on your shoulders, no?" She asked with a giggle. Applejack always worked so hard and put up with so much. She had to have all that stress making a home somewhere, no?

The Detective invited himself over to their dinner, which earned a thin smile from rarity. She would maintain her polite nature but that was rude, was it not? He could see they were clearly enjoying a romantic meal together and he was not only going to involve them in his business but invite himself to their table. Well, nopony said Manehattan Detectives were paragons of polite inquisition. She didn't know what he was on about though, even if the idea of there being some chicanery going on was equal parts infuriating for intruding on her time with Applejack and exciting for causes of intrigue.
"I can't say I can think of anything going missing. Our belongings are quite safe, at least as of a few minutes ago. At least I know I am not missing anything. What about you, dear?" She asked Applejack before turning back to the Manehattanite. "Why do you ask, Detective? Oooh, are there ruffians onboard? Is there a mystery ahoof? I can say it has been quite some time since I've been involved with one of those."

• Like 1

Image result for applejack in bandanaimage.png

The farm mare beamed as her mare responded positively to her offer! Great! She had planned things right. Sure she'd set a high curve for herself but she wanted to please Rares so much! The beautiful unicorn deserved her very best! 

"Oh Hi don't know 'bout the weight o' the whole world," She winked. "But yeah, I gotta admit I could use one o' those massage thingymagigs!" She rolled her shoulders a little, thinking about how nice a massage would feel. 

AJ continued to let her mare speak on her behalf to the detective. Rarity continued to be much kinder than the farm mare would have been. Her ears had flattened out when the stallion had flipped a chair around and literally taken a seat at their meal! She would have had some choice words for him if she'd opened her mouth. Which she didn't... more for Rares than anypony else. She was working really hard on smoothing her rough edges when they were out in public. She was still AJ to the core, but with a bit more style than she had before. Truth be told she was actually quite proud of herself!

Her patience however was wearing thin. This guy better finish his piece and get on outta here!

Then he asked if they'd seen anything suspicious. Good thing she'd bitten her tongue... this could prove interesting. 

She responded curtly to Rarity's question. "Nothin' comes to mind,"

---

"Well," The stallion glanced around the dining area again. "Not quite sure I'd call em' ruffians..." He didn't want to worry the mares but he did know from their history that Rarity and Applejack could probably assist him should he be right in his suspicions. "Just keep your eyes out if you would?"

After this he nodded to both of them and stood. He'd of course noticed AJ's prickly attitude and didn't want to push her too far. "Thank you for your time ladies. Please, do let me know if anything seems amiss." 

With that he turned and made his way casually out of the dining room, leaving a card on the mares' table that simply read: "Room #117"

8XeOsHy.png

"Oh, you could do with some excitement with your massages, dear. You can get a normal massage from Ponyville any day of the week. But I'm sure they can do something more exciting for you. Have you ever had a hot stone massage?" Rarity asked as she leaned in. "Hot stones are placed along your spine and around some of your most tense muscle knots. The heat hits you in such a way as you feel divine. All your stress, all your concerns, float away on a cloud. And then you can ask for the therapist to press the stones in and massage it around. Oh Applejack, I think you would love it. And then imagine getting a nice hooficure while its happening!" She laughed, shaking her head just as their food arrived. 

"Maybe a hotstone massage or two and I could turn you into a proper spa pony. Wouldn't that be a revelation for the others?" She giggled, imagining the farm pony being so much more dainty that she became a true Southern Belle while her family members picked up the slack. It would never happen of course, but Rarity couldn't help but snicker at the image.

"We'll keep on the lookout, Detective. Rest assured if we spot anything too untoward we'll let you know," she said as she waved him off pleasantly, putting his card in the notch of her ear. She couldn't say he had given her much to go off of but alas, such was the life of a detective. Half-clues and misdirection until the situation was dire enough. Commonly seen in the good Shadow Spade books. "Tell me Applejack, is it odd that a Manehattan Detective would pull himself up a chair, ask a question, and then leave almost immediately? He must be awfully nervous...I wonder what the scoundrels must have taken to put him on such an edge..."

• Like 1

As the conversation has progressed AJ had found herself more intrigued than she wanted to be. It sounded like there might be something going on aboard ship. Her ears stayed flattened for a moment longer as Gridlock got up and excused himself. That was all she wanted... miscreants aboard what was supposed to be a relaxing airship cruise for her and her lovely mare. Then she glanced at Rarity. The mare seemed interested in what had transpired.  In fact Applejack could already see a chapter from Shadow Spade playing out in her mind. 

The farm mare tapped her muzzle lightly with a hoof as their food arrived and was set before them. She took a pensive bite of her salad, chewing reflectively. 

"Hi'm pretty sure it was us that caused him to come on over," She winked. "We are pretty much the biggest celebrities around a'course." They were obviously known for their deeds. Proving themselves time and again with acts of bravery, smarts, and  general know how. "An' our reputation proceeds us." Another salad bite. Yum!

"As for him gettin' up in such a hurry," She let out a small breath. "I wasn't sendin' him the nicest o' uh, vibes," She blew her forelocks up and away from her eyes. 

AJ glanced back and forth briefly. "I'd say we should keep a weather eye out," Salad bite. "Sounds like sometime not so good could be a' hoof."

----

A couple hours later saw the mares heading towards the spa. After a few light drinks and time to relax at the table the time had flown and they hadn't returned to their cabin. AJ still sported her bandanna and broach, not that she minded as this was a fancy ship after all. 

"You ready fer this sugarcube?" She glanced at Rarity with only a hint of worry in her eyes. AJ was not one for hooficures and treatments and such and she still didn't know exactly what to expect. "Cause uhhh," Slight gulp. "I sure am!" She was excited, she wanted to show Rarity a good time and she knew the spa would be relaxing!

8XeOsHy.png

Some books were best left open and others best left closed. It didn't take much for Rarity to tell that Applejack was rather perturbed by that detective's presence. And rightfully so- he had interfered rudely in a most splendid day. But sh didn't think that was why he had left. After all, he was a detective. They were used to sticking in where they were an irritant and using that to further their agendas. She would let it sit though. She nodded along with her mare when she said they'd keep an eye out for anything untoward but focused on Applejack and the meal when the time came.

The meal sat well with her as they made their way to the spa. It wasn't sitting as well with Applejack, however- less the meal and more the idea of a spa! "Oh Applejack, you don't need to hide your nervousness from me. I know you're uncomfortable and that is exactly why this is such a wonderful gesture. You're doing this for me despite your unease, and I know that. Don't hide it!" She said as she gave Applejack a peck on the cheek before they entered. "Besides, you're awful at hiding your feelings, most of all from me."

It was rather splendid. It had a view overlooking the beautiful cloud arrangements outside, aided most delightfully by a slew of rooms and services offered. She had read that the entire staff was highly rated judging by the strong-looking shoulders on the stallion and the toned forelegs of the mares, very likely.
"Hello! This spa is very...exceptional," she said as she approached the front desk. The mare behind smiled and opened up her appointment book. "We should have a reservation? Applejack or Rarity?" She asked It was confirmed a moment later.

"Also, we have ze whole service approved- massage, hooficure, facials, selected soothing sounds, candles, the works. All we need to know is what type f massage you'd prefer?"
"Oooh, that all sounds great. As for the massage...make it to hotstone massages. And don't be afraid of going a little rough on her. She can take it," Rarity winked towards her marefriend. She'd make sure that Applejack had a good time even if it killed her.

• Apple 1

• 3 weeks later...

Soothing fragrances of lilac and witch hazel made AJ take in a deep breath. She released it, trying to calm her nerves. She was't unduly stressed but the farm mare always had waaaay too many things in her mind. As the spa pony listed off what she'd ordered she winked at her mare. 

"Sounds like what I ordered. The special, for somepony special."

She couldn't help but blush when Rarity made her comment about the style of massage. Her mare certainly had a way with words. 

They made their way into the undressing area, intent on taking full advantage of everything the spa in the sky had to offer. The air was humid and warm, dampening her mane and tail down almost instantly. AJ took a seat on one of the cushioned benches and removed her bandana. She touched her apple broach with a hoof and smiled at Rarity. 

"Looks like they have magic locks for the lockers. Our stuff should be safe here Hi think." She folded up the bandana and placed the broach on top of it in one of the lockers. "Ya can go ahead and put yer stuff in here with mine." When Rarity came close she flicked her tail at at the mare's svelte flank. "Time tah get you cleaned up, dirty filly." 

With that she trotted off towards the massage tables, a blush still burning on her cheeks. 

The hot rocks were indeed a treat! AJ felt the tension melting away from her as the spa ponies worked their magic. She knew Rarity was at the next table over, enjoying the same. "Yer rocks were a good idea Rares," She sighed, enjoying the moments of serenity they were enjoying.  

• Hearthoof 1

8XeOsHy.png

Applejack may not have had the finest of tastes, but she had the right kind of taste as far as Rarity was concerned: Tastes that knew the sweetness of Rarity, and how best to accommodate her. "Awww. Your taste is only outdone by your sweetness, my love," she said with a smile, gently nuzzling the nap of her mare's neck. Rarity was an affectionate mare who only ever turned it up when around others, as she had little shame in the wanderings of her heart, here or in private. For now she followed the exciting- well, wrong word but she chose to abide by its meaning here- instructions of her instructors as she prepared for the massage.

As she was preparing, Applejack noticed that they had lockers. Excellent! "Ooh, good," Rarity said as she started to magically remove her belongings and placed them in the locker. Indeed, she was used to a small lockbox back in Ponyville but it was a lockbox in name and intent alone, not in function. She had never concerned herself with the prospect of theft from the Ponyville Spa, and she was even less worried about it here. Certainly it would have been mentioned had they gained a reputation for such shady behavior or poor security practices, would they not? Nonetheless she piled her belongings in with Applejack's and locked it, noting that the locker hummed faintly with her own magic as she did so.

Applejack wished her dirty filly a nice massage, which made Rarity titter. "Naughty!" She replied, gently slapping Applejack with her tail. She was such an excitably wrong-minded mare who would need some correction later. For now though, simple desires were to be enjoyed in this less than simple setting. In time they were laid down and the stones applied. "Enjoy your massage, sweetie. These stones are simply the start of something truly grand for you to experience!" She said as she allowed herself to melt under the hooves of such an experienced masseuse. Ponyville Spa was staffed by ponies with great enthusiasm but to be under the tender ministrations of a truly talented artist? She could appreciate the artistry of physicality. It was what physically attracted her to her muscles, beautiful mare and it was what she thought was most agreeable about those working on them today. This was something else entirely from her quaint spa back home!

• Apple 1

image.jpeg

The spa experience was enough to get anypony to enjoy the 'froo froo' life style. AJ found herself melting as the rocks did their magic on her back and legs. The massage was heaven and the following hooficure had the farm mare feeling like the weight of the world had been lifted away. After all this the spa ponies directed both mare towards the sauna for a quick steam. 

"Ah!" AJ settled down on a cedar bench as the steam did its thing. "Well Rares, I guess I see what you mean about the spa treatment now. Hi could get used to this sorta thing!" 

As she relaxed she thought over where the rest of the day would led. After the spa they would head back to their cabin to relax and have a little time to enjoy the privacy a sky cabin offered. Then it would be time to get ready for the gala this evening. Gala's were also not exactly her sort of thing but she knew how much fun Rarity would have which meant she'd end up having fun too!

"Hi made sure tah book a flight that had a fancy-shmancy dinner and evening gala for you," She winked at her mare. "Can't wait teh see yah in yer fancy git up!" She wiped a towel across her brow. "I might need a little proddin' teh get into my gala outfit," She smirked a little. "I'm sure you'll be able to wrangle me though." She blushed again. Rarity did have her ways of keeping the farm mare in line. 

• Hearthoof 1

8XeOsHy.png

What a development.
Why, if she could get Applejack to appreciate the finer things in life, the true ability to enjoy the qualities of a high-society view on things, then truly anything could happen. Pigs could fly and old dogs- or Applejack- could learn new tricks. Maybe for her next bit of work she could make her play fetch or roll over. Anything was possible and nothing was too silly to imagine once you heard Applejack say she might start enjoying this sort of treatment. And who could blame her? The massage was exquisite. She could feel the hot stones boring through the knots in her muscles, the pedicure working through the roof edges on her pony peddy. It was the height of relaxation and she was only vaguely upset by the idea of a sauna to break it all up. She got up and was led into the room, sitting on the bench with a smile. "Well, you better. Now that I've worn you down on this little activity expect to do it all the time. I'm going to make you a proper Southern belle if it kills me," she said, ending with a small poke at Applejack's midsection before she laid back and allowed the sauna to ease her concerns away.

She had known about the gala for a bit, but the fact that Applejack had gone ahead and planned it out showed how serious her mare was taking this vacation. When Applejack was focused and her mind was set on accomplishing a task there was little in this world of theirs that could stand up to her piercing vision and exquisite planning. Far be it for Rarity to ever get in the way of this hard-charging country gal when it came to making her one and only the happiest mare that she could be. "Applejack, dear, you and I both know that when it comes to dressing for the occasion you rarely disappoint...if only because you know I'm right behind you," she said with a smirk. She leaned back, stretching her hooves near Applejack while she enjoyed this divine day with her love. It could scarcely get any better!

• Hearthoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg

AJ let a deep sigh escape her muzzle. Sure being all high faluten' and fancy shmancy wasn't her thing but it was Rarity's thing and she absolutely adored her beautiful unicorn. Anything Rarity loved she'd already felt her hart taking differently than it used to. Fancy dress, well Rarity would get a kick outta it so why not? Soiree with rich and famous ponies in the sky? Rarity was all abut somethin' like that so AJ felt herself giving way to such events. Pretty much everything the unicorn liked AJ was learning to have an affinity for. It wasn't because she loved the events or the dresses or the formality, she loved the mare that loved them. And that was enough.

The sauna stay was over just at the right time and AJ walked out of the steam feeling clean and refreshed, if not in need of a short nap. She was so relaxed!

"That was durn near perfect. A pony could git real used tah this life," She winked at her mare. "As long as a certain unicorn is with me."

They made their way to the locker area and AJ opened the door to the locker. 

"Hmm, that's odd?" She cocked her head as the door swung open easily on it's hinges, obviously unlocked. She sucked in a breath, her heart suddenly jumping from it's previously relaxed state.

"Oh no!" She rummaged through the contents of the locker, suddenly frantic. "It's not here!" 

Tears formed in the farm mare's eyes even though she tried to dash them away. Her broach was gone. "Stolen," Her lower lip trembled. That broach had meant more to her than she'd even known. It was a token of love, one of the first of such, that Rares had given her. 

Normally AJ was a practical mare to the core but this was a heavy blow.

8XeOsHy.png

Rarity sauntered out of the sauna with her head held high, the sweat and moisture moving haphazardly down her body as she allowed the heat to dissipate. A sauna was one of the most relaxing places in all the world to the unicorn and she felt like a different mare every time she left one. Looser, more alive than before, as if the heat had pulled out of her the tension and stress that helped make her the bundle of creative anxiousness that she often was and left her in a better, healthier headspace. Rarity was confident that Applejack felt the same way and was rewarded with confirmation soon afterward. "Now that is music to my ears, darling. If that is how you feel then you best be prepared for a new routine when we get home. I'm going to scrub and clean until you're the very picture of a heartland super beauté," she said as she focused on drying off, sitting down with her back to Applejack.

She was drying off as Applejack started to lose herself in the moment of panic, the broach she had so recently and proudly shown off having vanished. It took Rarity a few seconds to process it all if onpy because the idea of it being stolen only passed through her mind after several successive waves of stunned silence washed over her, drowning out the words she tried to speak in shock. She stood up and stood next to Applejack, looking at the locker. Indeed it had been unlocked and rather hastily at that. The broach was the only thing missing- Rarity's locker was untouched still- but it was all that was needed. Rarity maintained her calm as best she could. In moments of strife, somepony needed to maintain a cool air about them after all. She had to remain classy. Respectable!

"What sort of establishment are you running?!"

Rarity stormed out of the private area, eyes aflame with righteous and well deserved indignation as she cantered aggressively up to the massage parlor's staff. "I will have you know that we are no country simpletons that will stand by and allow our personal property to be thefted!" she said with a snort. "I demand Applejack's broach be returned this instant or you'll be hearing from my lawyer! And he's a minotaur!"

Classy!

image.png

The spa ponies floundered for an answer under the glamorous mare's barrage. There was really nothing they could say. Nopony had been watching the locker area and now something was missing. Yes it was their fault but as far as what they could do...*question mark*

AJ knew that would be the case. Of course they couldn't magically produce her beloved broach. She tried to toughen up, sniffing and wiping at her tears. It was hard but she could get through.

"I'm sorry Rares," She sniffed again. "I never should have jus' left the broach when there was nopony to keep an eye on our things." It wasn't her fault and she knew it but apologizing helped her feel a little better somehow. 

"What we need to do is find out if anypony was in here while we were in the spa," That's right, focus on trying to fix the situation. Maybe they could get the broach back if they worked together. She had good common sense on her side and Rarity was something of a sleuth when she took the mind to be. "Not sure if anypony saw anything but we should ask around."

Then the thought dawned on her. "Hey Rares?" She thought back. "You remember that aerion character that stopped by the table today? Seems to me he wouldn't be overly surprised to find out somethin' of ours went missing," She pondered wether he might be responsible for this. "I think we might need to pay him a visit!"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

8XeOsHy.png

Rarity was highly frustrated by the inability of the spa ponies to be of any help. She quickly ascertained after her outburst that they were not responsible for any sort of high-class thievery ring, but that didn't mean she let them off the hook entirely. They staffed this location and were expected to the best in their field and with that came expectations of them keeping tabs on who was here, what they were doing, and how they would best be served. And in doing so, stop such awful tomfoolery such as theft from taking place! While they may not be thieves themselves the fact they were so ignorant as to this event left a sour taste in her mouth. She would have to knock a star off of their rating- her back did feel rather wonderful and her haunches were well prepped for the day, so no reason to forget their good work either!

Rarity did not tarry long with the miscreant missing workers of the spar, holding her mare's hoof in ours as she consoled her. "No Applejack, you did nothing wrong. You were relying on a level of base competence from workers who had relatively good, secure locations for the property of their customers. It is a travesty they can't help us- I'm stunned that they ddn't see anything," she gave a side-eye look at the ground and nearly growled, "or claim they didn't. I'm not sure I totally believe them," she said as she rubbed Applejack's mane in a comforting manner. Of all the things to steal, a broach? It was such a personal item of negligible worth to anypony who did not know the personal details of those involved. It would seem to be a rather poor target for theft- at least compared to the absolute windfall of similar items found on such a luxury vessel.

Rarity maintained her composure. She needed to. Applejack was a mess but she too needed to pull herself together. They had personas to maintain as Equestrian heroines and blubbering like foals would do neither of them any good, especially if they needed to solve a mystery like the one that had been hooved over to them. "Dear, regain yourself. If we're to see that detective and get your broach back, you will need to have a certain air of confidence about you. Straighten your tail and dry your tears," she said confidently, wiping away what she could see as shw stood up. "we have a broach to find!"

• Apple 1

image.png

Applejack sniffed as her mare consoled her. It certainly wasn't like the farm mare to act this way. She was usually the resilient one. The rock solid dependable pony. She didn't feel right acting this way...it was just that well, that broach had meant so much to her. It represented something so deep in her heart that loosing it left her feeling weak. But Rarity was right! She had to pull herself together right this instant! She knew others would look at her and she had an image to maintain. Especially now that she had Rarity by her side. What she did and how she behaved reflected directly on the beautiful unicorn. 

"Yer right sugarcube," AJ sniffed, quickly drying her eyes and smoothing herself down. "Gotta pull myself together and get to the bottom of this!"

Once she'd gotten herself together she trotted up to the spa ponies one more time. 

"So, yer tellin' us you saw absolutely nothin' goin' on out 'er while we were in the spa?" She eyed them sternly. The added pressure along with Rarity's righteous indignation caused the spa ponies to look back and forth at eye other. 

"w-well," The stallion that worked the counter offered. "T-there may have been someone in here for a few minutes unattended." He rubbed the back of his neck apologetically. "I-i went to help take the laundry form the drier and I-i heard somepony in here. I figured they'd wait for me to come back to check them in and then," He gulped. "Well, they were gone when I came back out here."

"I can figure out the rest." Applejack eyed the stallion. There was no need to pressure him further. He'd spilled all he knew. The spa had been negligent but it was done now. "We'll be back." She said over her shoulder as she trotted out the door.

"Time to go see Gridlock. It was room 117 right?"

---

image.png

It wasn't long before they had met up with Gridlock and told the story as best they could remember. The sleuth nodded his head as he took notes on a small pad. "Sounds about right actually," He squinted one eye, looking up at the two mares. "The broach was the only thing missing? Did you have other valuables in the lockers?" 

The aerion leaned back in his chair a bit. They had walked to a small cafe on the deck of the airship while explaining the situation as per his request. Gridlock sipped his black coffee and grimaced. 

8XeOsHy.png

Rarity was pleased when Applejack finally start to take charge. Rarity could be charming when she wasn't being filled with righteous, incandescent fury at the vast injustices thrust upon those she cared so deeply for. First, the theft.
What miscreant would steal that broach? It was an item of beauty, yes. Fetching, of course.
But it didn't take a trained eye to recognize that the material quality and make of it wasn't exceptional. You could find similarly priced examples of that broach almost anywhere. And more important for a thief, you could find more fenceable examples of that item even easier. What that broach lacked in exceptional craftsmanship or expense it made up for it specificity of design and emotional connection. It was worth less than a generic example of a broach to all but the Apple family, those who knew Applejack, or those who wanted a piece of Equestrian history.
But that would require some element of targeting, and it would be hard to imagine that happened.

Secondly, the incompetence of the staff.
It was good Applejack's more gentle nature was in play because such rank aloofishness and security was stunning. Not to her as a customer, but as a business owner who dealt with items of high value! For this spar, located on this airship, every customer was intensely valuable and required the care and attention that came with it. She would never live down a theft at any one of her Boutique's while she was there. How could they?
The stallion said he heard somecreature in there, but didn't offer information. He had said sompony though- she could only assume he had heard hoofsteps. That would remove many creatures while even some species. A pegasi would be more likely to fly. It didn't prevent them from being a Unicorn or Earth Pony however, nor a Changeling. Even a Deer. As they spoke, she looked around- "Hmm..."- she muttered to herself as she spotted what looked like fabric...or hair? She'd need to investigate further. Regardless, she made sure to pick it up while they made their way out, sliding it into her saddlebag.

--------

"No, detective. Only the broach, being watched over by some honestly inept spa ponies," Rarity added with some slight venom. She wasn't going to let a crime against security go unposted. In any case, she sighed. "I suppose I should be less angry at them. We all make mistakes after all," she then started to pout, "but look at my Applejack, without her divine broach. Banishment to tartarus only begins to satiate my desire for revenge," she said as she played around the rim of Applejack's outfit almost as if she was toying with the collar on a dog. "These thieves, Detective. What do you know of them?"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.pngimage.png

Applejack couldn't help but glance down and blush as Rarity toyed with the edge of her bandanna. At least it made her forget the irritation she was feeling towards herself about losing something that had been very precious to her. There was of course the possibility of being reunited with the item...if they could get to the bottom of this. 

"Rarity here is something of a private eye herself detective." She smiled proudly towards her mare. "She could certainly be of some assistance on this." 

Gridlock smiled, noting the words. It seemed so far that Rarity was asking the right kinds of questions.

"Well, I do have some pretty strong notions on them...mostly why I came on this particular flight." He glanced about before continuing. "There's been a spree of recent thefts on these airships, of the stolen property has been, sparkly." He raised an eyebrow. "As of yet I haven't been able to catch any of them red pawed but, with your help I'm thinking tonight might be the night."

"Tonight's the gala!" Applejack spoke up knowingly. She'd be impressing the fashionista with her learning on the way of the couture tonight! 

"Right! And I'm wondering if I can ask for your assistance during the gala? Its the perfect setup to nab who I think might be the crook!"

• 2 weeks later...

8XeOsHy.png

The gala would be a good place to set a trap, as it were. To play the bait in such a scenario was invigorating! The reveal, the turnabout, the moment when the hunter became the hunted. It was exhilarating! The demeanor of the damsel was written in her every move when she commanded it so. And distress was something she exuded naturally at all times anyway, or so she was told. Why, playing the part of the bait was simply divine! And when she did turn the tables on those criminals, oh, what sweet revenge it would be. Rarity loved many things in her life but thieves getting their comeuppance was only slightly lower than getting those very items returned. 

"Ahh, a trap. Good play, Detective. No doubt we can lure them quite easily. Why, I can lure a honey bee out the hive without honey. The real question is, who is the proverbial hammer to my anvil?" She asked rhetorically. They could be bait but fact was that it would be best if Applejack was not out there. She was a terrible actress and had already been a mark. "I don't believe it wise for you to join me as bait, my dear. After all, they already took something from you and you- well, we both know you're going to be on the lookout, even as you wish not to appear so. Appear to be in a tiff with me, we'll be on opposite ends of the gala. That will appear to separate us, leaving me an easier mark with her eyes somewhere else. And you, detective, will have all the bait you need to nab this bandit!"

• Like 1