An unfortunate mishap... (Cloudsdale and Seaquestria)

Cubbage

"Well..." Cloudfeather started. "Well, your friends aren't in any danger. In fact, we play soothing sounds in the water to help keep them calm." That last part was a lie, but the first was true. The animals rarely showed signs of distress after adjusting to the tank. "When we're done pumping water, we'll return the tank to the ocean and set them free. That way, they don't accidentally get sucked up again! They're safer now than they would be if we let them go!"

But Aquaria was skeptical. She wasn't one to easily be swayed when it involved her marine critters. "I'm going back over there and staying with that tank until they're released." she firmly said, getting to her hooves and starting back to the room she came from.

Cloudfeather checked a few more readings on the harvester before calling the physician. Then she crossed the room to sit down next to the other pegasus. "I promise they're safe. In fact, they look happy to me! See, look at that octopus! Doesn't he look overjoyed?" Cloudfeather had no clue what emotions were going through the octopus's head, but she hoped it might reassure the other pony.

Cloudfeather was taken aback by this. Was that possible? "You... can talk to them?" Slowly, she decided that if horses could fly and hippogriffs could turn into sea creatures, it must be possible for at least one pony to be able to talk to fish. "That... Is... Awesome!! What's that one saying?? Oooh do they like me?? Or do they think I'm weird? Can they understand me? Ooh! Tell them that I'm sorry for sucking them up but I promise they'll be back home in no time as soon as we've collected enough moisture for the thunderhead!" She meant that much sincerely. If this pegasus could really talk to them, then the poor creatures must be scared out of their minds! 

"Oh." Cloudfeather said. She tried to stay positive, though the words had truly hurt her. "Well, um, the good news is that the harvester has almost finished sucking up the water we need, so your friends and you can go home soon." She walked back to the controls and checked the readings. "You know, it really is a good thing we use the harvester nowadays. Back before we had it up and running, we used to use wingpower, and fish had to be sorted out manually and corralled. Now, they're automatically sorted and stored so we can put them back faster after the harvest. Oh, what am I saying. Not like knowing that makes it any better. We just have a couple more minutes and then the loading pegasi will be here to transport the tank back down to the water." She continued to move about the control panel, mostly pretending to press buttons and check gauges. She wanted to look like she knew what she was doing. She did know, naturally, but the machine ran automatically, and so there wasn't much for her to do at this point but wait for the shutoff order.

• 3 weeks later...