Shadow's Curiosities and Pawn (open)

Alivda

Moon Shadow sighed as she directed her shadow constructs to put some new displays out. They were the typical, cheap, looks much more valuable stuff that the few tourists that came through just ate up, nothing that was her real reason for her recent... 'Vacation'. That was reserved for the back rooms, and for those that she knew, or came recommended. She smirked as she thought of her recent acquisitions, but quickly had to return her thoughts to focusing on the constructs. Soon, everything was set up, and she dismissed them, letting them slink back into the corners to join the other shadows there. She made a quick loop around her store front, the displays and counters looking fine. Stopping at the door, she unlocked it, and flipped her sign, the simple chain crossing over itself as closed became open. She then headed back to her register, sitting on the stool, and a cheap paperback gothic romance, nearby just to pass the time. She didn't particularity like them, thinking they were drivel, but she had appearances to keep up. She took up the book, opened it, removed her bookmark, and waited for somepony to come in...

• Like 2

Sundown Trail glanced at the sky. Celestia’s sun had just risen above the horizon. Of course, for somepony nocturnal like him, it was late. Very late. He stifled back a yawn as he strolled through the streets of Hollow Shades. He had wanted to visit some of the shops while they were open and since the owners weren’t nocturnal he had to stay up late into the morning. 

Work had brought him to Hollow Shades. Apparently, there was some kind of issue in the area and the local law enforcement asked for assistance from the Royal Guard. So, Sundown was sent down from Canterlot to lend a hoof. The Guard had paid for him to stay in one of the nicer stables on the outskirts of town, and they allowed him a couple days to get settled before he was supposed to report to the local police. It was his second day in town, and he had to wonder what the issue was. There weren't a lot of things that would warrant sending down an investigator. Sundown shrugged to himself. Whatever it was, he’d certainly learn why he was sent down when he reports in.

One store sign caught his eye in particular. He stopped and read it. Curios… Exotic items… Rarities… This might be interesting. If anything, he could get himself a souvenir for when he returned back home. He headed towards the front door and stepped into the shop.

(oops, sorry, got busy and and distracted, lol)

Moon looked up from her book, noting the stallion that came in. He looked tired, and it was easy to see why. Areion didn't often adapt well to daytime activities, as she well knew from her association with a few. "Welcome, If you need anything, let me know." She said, looking him over. She'd like to think she got pretty good at judging ponies, and the way he stood indicated some kinda training... She might have to be careful with him...

(Don't worry about it! Sorry about how long it to me to respond, I also got distracted.)

Sundown stepped into the shop and glanced around; the little bell on the front door rang to indicate his entrance. The store was rather cozy, with the majority of the space taken up by shelves stocked with various knick-knacks, baubles, and tchotchkes. Some looked nice and well-made; others looked tacky and cheap.

"Welcome, If you need anything, let me know."

His ears perked up when he heard the mare behind the counter greet him politely.

He turned his head to look at her. She was dark, literally so. If it weren't for the horn sticking out of her forehead, one could almost mistake her for an Areion. She seemed to have been reading a paperback before Sundown walked in. The book had an elaborate front cover, although he couldn't quite make out the title. He smiled politely before responding to her.

"Thanks, I think I'm just looking for a small souvenir right now. Nothing too fancy, just something I could put on a shelf at home and forget about." He said with a wave of his hoof.

Moon nodded, smiling softly. "You'll find plenty of that here. Got a lot of knickknacks and other things. A lot of it's for the tourists, harmless things for those who come to be scared by the forest and the ghost tours... But if you don't mind me saying, you don't look like most tourists..." She said, putting down her book and moving to stand behind the glass display case that was her counter. "You'll find that any of the more personal items, like the necklaces and pendents have a display stand with them, so you can show them off, if you so wish."

"I don't mind you saying that at all. Heck, I'm not really even a tourist. I'm here more for business than pleasure," Sundown paused before appending his statement, "Here in town, that is."

He glanced at some of the items in the display case. They were nicer looking than most of the other items around the shop. Not as cheap, too. A couple of them were a bit too pricey for his budget. He didn't want to spend all of his bits all in one place, even if it was for a beautiful-looking accessory. And anyway, jewelry wasn't really his style. He always felt like it made him stand out too much, especially since he already stood out a lot because of being an Areion.

"You know," he began, while looking at one of the pendants in the case, "A couple of my colleagues back at headquarters, they fall head over hooves for this ghost-stuff. They eat it up like candy. I think a couple of them will be somewhat jealous when they learn I got sent out to Hollow Shades."

He saw the price tag for the pendant he was looking at and shook his head. That one cost a bit too much. He glanced over and started admiring another item in the case.

Moon looked the pendant as she thought about his words. Headquarters stood out to her. "Oh? Most of that stuff is over there... If you're the type to enjoy teasing them about the fact you got to come here. What business are you here for... or is it a... private matter?" She said, heading over to the area for the more... touristy sections. The stuff you usually see at a roadside stand. "Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't offer a 'Welcome to Hollow Shades discount'. Say... ten percent off?"

Sundown's ears perked up when she offered a discount. The sides of his lips trembled for a second before breaking into a smile. "A discount? Well, that's very kind of you. Thanks." He took a look at the touristy section, a slight frown crossed his face, and he shook his head.

"No, as fun as it'd be to tease them like that, I really couldn't," he brought a hoof to his chin and thought for a moment before adding; "Although, now that I think about it, it might be a good idea to get something like that as a gift for one of them."

He quietly looked the touristy section of the store for a second, seemingly forgetting she had asked him a question until his eyes widened with realization.

"Oh, right, you asked me why I'm in town!" He scratched the back of his head and chuckled sheepishly. He muttered a quick apology before continuing.  "I'm actually a Royal Guard investigator. I'm here in town because the local sheriff asked for some assistance with... er - something. So I was sent down from Canterlot to lend a hoof."

An investigator? She needed to get him out, before he poked around too much. "Oh? I suppose it's one of those... classified things? Well, is there anything you could tell me that I'd need to worry about? I've just got back from getting new stock, so I don't know much about recent events." Moon asked, trying to mask her worry and surprise as concern for her shop. She then blinked and brought a hoof up to her chest, appearing to be steadying her breath. "You know what, If I see anything, I'll head straight for the sheriff. As for gifts, I could offer a bulk discount as well. I'm not exactly the first stop for most tourists..."