Flighttime Bonding (ATTN: Dusty)

Blueblood

Pipp let out a happy chirp when mom said yes to ‘nesting’ her. She hated calling it that, but it was what it was. But it sounded so foal like! She just liked to view it as a warm snuggly time with mom. And you are never too old for that honestly and if some pony told her otherwise she just felt bad for them. She wanted to hug her mother honestly at that moment but after playing out a few scenarios in her head that all ended with them crashing… She can save the hugs for later. “Thanks mom.” Was what she had to settle for at the moment and some warm smiles back at her mother. Honestly this flight time bonding was nice. When was the last time they had so much time alone to just talk together? To just speak so openly and freely? Look how much ground they covered! Worked out things to do together and came up with a plan to maybe keep the crown where it belonged! On their heads. Well, mom's head. And fit in game time as well. Honestly maybe she and mom needed to do this from time to time? Just fly around with each other? Not too often or it may get boring. But a nice air time pow-wow to talk free and away from outsiders. 

She shifted her focus back to the city, shocked how much closer it was. Flying was so… Fast! They covered so much ground so swiftly! And that was with her less than speedy self being matched in speed. It was so strange to think about that. Flying. It was just a thing now. The sky belonged to them again! … How did they build cities in the sky? Can they do that? Can they move her city into the air and keep it safe forever? Well ok, never mind that part. The skyfall did happen and that was very bad for the flying cities and every pony in them. So maybe keep it all on the ground for safety. But guarding the city will be so much easier now! No more need to cut paths out and build bridges! Just in case another tribe comes to invade them! Was she doing that thing again? Maybe. She wanted to shove her face underneath mom's wings and sleep. She was tired of all this stress, worrying and fear. And ice cream. She wanted ice cream. A big cup of it! Heck, give her the tub. But she knew mom would not let that happen. If Pipp was queen she’d eat whatever she wanted.

Thankfully for Pipp's spiraling thoughts, they were not far from the City.  Queen Haven guided their approach, carefully, trying to avoid the potential of paparazzi and reporters swarming them.  Unfortunately, Zephyr Heights was not a city originally built for an all-pegasus population, and certainly not one capable of flight.  Therefore, the castle had no easy-access entry balconies from the air for Royal Use (Haven reminded herself to give an order for their construction as soon as possible!)

The closest landing site seemed relatively deserted, but mother-hen instincts in her were tingling.  "Stay close in the approach, Pipp."  She said to her daughter as they dipped in for a landing.  Almost immediately they were converged on by swarms of both the press and the guards, the latter shielding the royals from the former.  Queen Haven was heartened to see so many guards turn out for this; some of them possibly trying to win their way back into their good graces more than those who had been loyal all along.  Nonetheless, they alike had her gratitude.
"No pictures, no interviews!  The Princess... my daughter is exhausted, and in no fit state to deal with the public!"  Not even one photo this time, just straight back into the castle!  All the while, her wing was outstretched to cover and shield her little Petal from the flashbulbs of the camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing the city from this view was not a new one. She did have some airships after all. But flying over it on your own? With your own wings? That was a very strange feeling that changed the view in ways she’d never dream of… And just as swiftly filled her head with alarming worry. They can all fly now. All of them. Every last single one… And that was terrifying. Nothing was prepared for that. Her home was built to keep them safe from the ground, not the sky. And it was not some army, war or some such thing that was worrying her. No, it was a force far worse than some invading army. It was the paparazzi's. And it was just by luck the paparazzi were as new too all of this as she was as none of them seemed to work out just yet they could fly around like a swarm of flies. 

At least until they spotted the two Royals coming in for a landing at the castle. Most stuck to the ground, still uneasy about flying. But many were more than willing to put the wings to the test and took to the air like some thirsty nat swarm that smelled sweat. It was terrifying and Pipp only grew more fearful at the lack of guards. Where her mother saw many she only saw far too few. But they were trying. Soon as the Royals raced to the ground the guards rushed them, winges covering them and leading them into safety as fast as possible. Sargents shouting and the Captain of the guard rushing past bellowing orders and screaming at the swarm of flashing cameras, beating wings and shouting voices to back off. At least some of the guards knew loyalty. 

And soon it was over. The roaring sound of the masses silenced as two grand doors swung shut. Pipp found herself shaking. She was used to this. The masses. The screaming. The cameras. And yet she was shaken. After the… Event. She has been safe from it. That small earth pony town did not care what she was. She didn't think they even understood what a Royal even was. It let her feel safe in a way. But that swarm. That rush of sound, flashing and way too many wings rushing up to see her. It was scary. She felt so small. So young. Powerless and helpless to stop events going on around her. She shoved her head up underneath one of Haven’s wings. It was an instinctual act for safety, like some young pegasus hidden underneath a nesting mother. She knew it was not proper for her age and she didn't care. She just didn't. She failed to evcen speak for a moment and let out a soft chirp of distress. She was done with all of this. She wanted her ice cream and she wanted to be held. She’d face the problems later.

• Like 1

Just as Pipp nestled instinctively under her mother's wings, chirping like a little baby bird that had narrowly escaped from a cat, Haven instinctively covered her, cooing and clucking like a concerned hen.  It was a display that the royals would never, ever do in public, but she knew her daughter needed just a little while longer as a normal young mare.  "Just a few more steps, little Petal..."  She whispered in the smaller pegasus' ear, as she guided her towards the kitchens.  Word had been sent ahead to fetch ice cream, and today Haven was not going to be strict on the portions.  That would likely mean less dessert tomorrow, but today, she needed it almost as much as her daughter.

The table by the kitchen was in a little room used for when the Royal Family had no guests at dinner, just a nice comfortable dining table at which they could sit, and enjoy large bowls of Neighpolitan Ice Cream together.  "Hoo... I will say, if I had to live the life of a commoner, I would be thankful to not have to deal with all of that again."  She took a bite out of the strawberry side with a spoon, holding it poised delicately in her wingfeathers.

• Like 1

Pipp knew all of this was ‘beneath’ her age. But sometimes you need the outburst and comfort of such things. And so she stayed tucked into the wing as her mother gently led her down the hallways of their home and to one of Pipps favorite places. Not her most favorite, but it was one of them definitely. Just ask the demon that was her ‘fitness’ instructor… Well maybe she did sneak down here too often. Not her fault the cooks were so good! And she can smell the food being prepared for later today… It and the warmth and cooing of her mother put the shakes to an end as her heart stopped trying to make a jail break from her own body. She can’t explain why it worked. But she knew this feeling was not one just held by her. Seen plenty of remarks about it online. Warm wings and the soft cooing of a mother was a hard trigger for relaxing for most pegasi it seems…

After she removed herself from the wing of safety Pipp was sitting next to her mother devouring her ice cream. The poor thing may as well have been a sheep tossed into a pin of hungry wolves. She did not even have to tell the cooks what she wanted. All mom did was tell them to bring out a big helping of ice cream. They knew what she wanted. It was by most, a mess. Fuge. cookie dough. Brownies. All mixed together in vanilla ice cream made fresh here in the palace by some of the best confectioners wealth can buy. And so it was as good as she can hope for, far better than what she had back in the mud pony town. No offense to them. 

She stopped her war on the ice cream to look over at Haven as she spoke. “Maybe the one good side to being a peasant.” She remarked. “Not dealing with… That… I never liked it to begin with and now it feels even worse. Much easier to deal with when they are all on the other side of a screen.” She added with a small huff and glanced over at the guards. It was very rare to have guards shadow them in their own home. But Pipp asked for them to follow and so they did. Keeping a respectful distance and standing still as two works of art, yet alert as eyes and heads gently looked around the space. Was it unnecessary? Maybe. Did it help her relax? Yes. 

She pondered for a moment. On Them and the rush of wings that came at them on landing. Yes, they needed to think about the flying thing. “We need new patrol paths. All of it is ground based along the choke points. We need to set up air portals to keep peepers away from the windows. If I wake up and see one in my window I will sick my guards on them without hesitating.” She muttered. This got a look from one of the guards that was hard to read, but she felt it was a ‘I’d do it.’ face in regards to her remark… Sooner or later they’d need too vet them all and work out some new things. And she’d hoof pick some for her own personal unit. So that look placed him on the list for consideration. “And some landing places for us and are guards.”

The absolutely towering confection of sugar and cream that temporarily hid PippHa's face from her mother was awe-inspiring... for all of the ten seconds it remained intact.  Haven made a mental note to increase the focus and pay of Pipp's personal trainer; the filly was going to make herself into a pigasus if left to her own devices!  A doubly-dangerous fate to the public image of any slightly pinkish Princess... as a fairly chubby young Haven had been given a rather hard lesson in.  Mockery hurt worse than sore muscles after squats, she knew that from experience.

For all that, though, she was right enough about the patrols, once her now-smeared face became visible again, Haven favored it with a nod.  "Hence, our ponypower being at a premium.  Not to mention, the number of guards we have that can actually fly *well* is doubly limited.  I will make sure you get at least one, and two if we can spare it for your bedroom patrol."

• Like 1

“Zipp is a gifted flier, she’s taken to like a duck too water.” Pipp says, thinking about this problem. “We can use her to train and test the guards. If they pass her jugement I’d trust them on air duty… If we can get Zipp down from the sky and do something useful. For a queen to be she loves being everywhere but here.” She says softly, but with a hint of anger. Much as she loved her sister… Well, some things were long term problems between the two. But she didn't sit on that for too long, she knew better. One too many remakes like that put mother in a worry about how the sisters viewed each other. “And maybe it's time to rearm them as standard. I know you told me a dozen times it's not a good look. But I think we passed some lines on what the peasants can and can not do. Only fair can we give guards some swords or spears again. At least inside are home and out of view.” She had a feeling this was going to be something her mom will be less open too. Something Pipp didn't understand honestly. But it was what it was. 

“Speaking of ponypower, got some favorites picked out for a personal retinue? You get first picks after all. Just leave some for me. I want at least four so I can shift them. Two on, two off. It helps with the roll out carpet as well.” She says leaning her head to the side doing her thinking face. “You must have some favorites… I have some. And know at least one of them is extremely loyal. Maybe even more loyal to me than the crown.” She winked at that one and stuck out her tongue before eating more of her ice cream. She knew that was going to open up Pandora's box 

Haven's smile dipped a little at the hint of a tension over succession.  Hoo boy this was a can of worms she did not want to dump over their ice creams, so she skated on by it for now, resolving to have a little talk with Zipp to help smooth things over from the other side.  "Well, it certainly is a good thing that her flight experiments are proving to be as useful to the crown as your streaming."  She agreed, hoping as she sampled the chocolate that such diplomacy oiled the rough waters for now.  

But it seemed that the time of troubling topics was far from over.  Re-arming the retinue was one of them.  The thought, frankly, was distasteful to her, but Pipp was old enough now to no longer be satisfied with dismissals.  She would have to give actual reasons if she wanted her daughter to be brought into full cooperation with the Crown.  "I'm not sure that taking a more militaristic stance is a good idea right as we're negotiating a new era of peace and cooperation between the tribes.  That's going from 'bad look' to 'completely counterproductive.'"  She sighed, gently spooning a scoop of vanilla.  "But an increase in hoof-to-hoof combat training is most definitely in order.  I'd hate for there to be... incidents but..."  She cut herself off there.  Haven didn't want to put violent ideas in Pipp's head, but one more swarm like they'd encountered coming in and some tabloids would be made examples of!

"Well, it's hard to top the pair that helped me escape from the dungeons, Captain Zephyrwing and Lieutenant Thunder."  She gave a little smile at Pipp.  "I hope you didn't have your heart set on either..."  Her smile didn't even fade as Pipp hinted at personal guard connections.  After all, it was just about at Pipp's age that she had started seeing her father...

• Like 1

Pipp was not happy with the reasons. She failed to see the harm in it. Most of all it was kept inside their own home and out of view. She gets marching troops around outside with a sword and spear is a bad vibe to give off. But inside? Ulhg. This is why she wanted to be queen some times. So she can just make things happen and no one will tell her no. But much as she wanted it she wanted her mom to stay queen forever even more. So she just rolled her eyes. “Yes mom.” Was her reply for it. Only fair she lost one battle after having her mom side with the other things so far. She knew the reply would not please mom as it was her nice way of saying ‘fine but i don’t like it.’ without being rude. But she hoped it let her slide past that and talk about the other thing. This seems more fine with mom, not shocking given the remakes on the way here. 

“Captain Zephyrwing and Lieutenant Thunder? They got promoted?” She asked with a raised eyebrow. She knew the two well of course they followed them like a shadow on plenty of trips. Still Pipp found them somewhat foolish. Most of all Thunder. Good heart but his head… She’d not cool him useless. But sometimes she had to wonder how he became a guard. And that sounds mean. He’s not bad at it. Just sometimes she felt he needed more back bone. “But no, I was not thinking of grabbing them… Well, maybe Zephyrwing. I was considering her. But no way we can split them. The two do work best as a team. But I do put a claim on Sargent Vermilion. He played his own part in getting me to freedom and I trust him to be extremely loyal to me. I know you think his personality can be wolfish but that hardly matters for this job. I do all the speaking after all, he just has to sit by and be a good hound.” She says nodding her head, then eating more of her ice cream. Not much of it was left. Where did it all go? She wanted more honestly but knew that was not going to happen. Unless she wanted her trainer to ban her from all sweets for a week. Bleh. Why did mom give that trainer her own voice of authority at least when it came to the cooks?  

"Given the demonstration of loyalty, promotions seemed appropriate."  Haven smoothed over the previous topic, not even reprimanding her daughter for the visible reluctance.  It was understandable; the filly would just have to learn to live with not always getting her own way.  Even queens couldn't dictate to absolutely everypony at their every whim.  Not if they wanted to stay queen, anyway.  "Vermilion?" Haven tilted her head; the sergeant was skilled in his work, she supposed, and loyal, but... well, not the sort of company she considered a good influence.  As long as he was silent in his guarding, that wouldn't be an issue, but if he talked to her often, or worse took her drinking...

She sighed.  "Well, I suppose I can find a partner for him that is equally trustworthy, and that will make a pair."  Loyal, skilled, and above all polite for all that was beautiful and good in the world.

• Like 1

“Yes Vermilion. You know he’d make a good body guard for me. He follows orders without hesitating, never questions them.” Or me, the thought. “And I get along with him. Trust me mother he will be fine. He’s not going to make some incident happen. He very much cares about my image and will not taint it with his…” She waved a hoof. Even she can’t put a good spin on some parts of Vermilion. He was very proud and very, very, loud when he wanted to be. And yes, some of the other guards found him obnoxious. But honestly she did enjoy how he’d bust a gut over her jokes or be more than willing to praise her. He fanned her ego like few were willing. Yes, she’d be happy too have him following her around. He was unofficially her hound allready after all. 

But she needed more than just him. She wanted four but at the least she needed two guards to tag team in and out. Got to give them some down time after all and rest. She honestly didn't know what to follow up with after Vermilion. He was an easy pick… The rest she’d need to think about. “Hrim, fine. If you have some suggestions I’m open to it. Like I told you my other pick was Zephyrwing. Maybe Avalanche? Don’t know him well but he is a unit of a stallion and last I heard he was definitely on our side when the ‘event’ happened.” She looked over at her mother, honestly open to some suggestions. She’d trust her mom's judgment on some guards. As long as they were not full on pushovers like some were. Pipp got the PR, she did, but will it hurt to have guards that did not scream the moment they saw a horn head? … Unicorn. She’d really need to re-train her brain on that and fast. Last thing she needed was THAT in the papers.

Haven had to admit, she didn't have very many names to mind.  Avalanche was one, though; the snow-white stoic seemed a relic of an older, more courtly time.   Yes, now that she thought about it, he would be perfect for watching over her little Petal, as well as keeping Vermillion in line.  "Yes... red and white together would look good, and suit you, I think."  She finished the last bite of her ice cream, wondering still how her daughter could put away twice as much in almost the same time.  "Let's clean up a bit, and then take that nap.  I think we both could use one now."

• 3 weeks later...

Pipp rubbed her chin, she did not know Avalanche well like she told mom. Only seeing him a few times he was a rather new face to the guard. But she heard good of his pedigree and he was fully on the crown's side. That being said, she had a hunch he was fully on mom's side where Vermillion’s pledge was definitely more on Pipps side of the family. But maybe that was for the best, to keep mom from worrying too much about Pipp thinking about pushing a claim. Not that she’d do it, but tell that to other nobles. So having a guard that flagged on mom's side was probably for the best. “Very well, I will text the captain later and tell him I want them both marked as my new honor guard.” She says with a nod of her head to confirm her mom's judgment. With that matter done she clapped her hooves and waved over a servient to clean up the now empty bowls of ice cream. And wipe down Pipps face. 

She knew mom liked doing her own clean up but Pipp felt that was beneath her. They have servants, they may as well use them. Cleaning sucked. But soon it was done and she was stretching like a cat, her even larger tummy pugging out as if she was pregnant. “Mm, that was good. So… TV naps? Or do I get to nap in the old nest hrm?” She asked, looking at Haven. The old nest was, of course, mom's bed. When Pipp was just a tiny ball of Fur and feathers that is where she tucked away and kept warm by wing and covers. Pipp has had plenty of stories about how defensive mom was back then. She still can’t imagine mom fluffing up in anger every time some poor servant had to open the door and check on her. 

• Like 1

Once the pair of them were cleaned up, Haven got down, putting a wing around Pipp once again.  Servants and treats aside... right now, she just wanted to be a mother with her little filly once more.  Tomorrow, tomorrow... there were guard details, royal duties to resume, one interview to arrange and plethoras to refuse... but now, now was family nesting time.  "The old nest, dear."  She guided her up the old familiar stairs to the Royal Chambers.... how long had it been since anypony had slept here but her?  Not since the last time Pipp was a little fuzzfeather ball.  She wondered, idly, if the sisters would object too hard to her looking for a consort again...

Later, later.  Naps now.

• Like 1

Pipp made her way down the long hallways and marble floors, she was feeling the icecream now… maybe she had too much? … Na. But all the flying did her in. And getting to pass out on mom's bed sounding like the icing on a cake. And so she did not say much, not much more needed to be told. For now it was nesting time. And as soon as she got into mom's room she made for the bed and flopped onto it… And got to work. She pulled and moved the covers and pillows until she was sitting in a bowl of covers and pillows. With this done she laid down tucked her legs up underneath herself, wings fluttering as she ‘fuffed’ up. She looked almost like a young filly again. A ball of fur and feathers cupped safely in a nest of instincts peaking out at her mother. Sometimes she did this in her own bed. Sometimes instincts won out and one just had to do it. She’s seen others do it. The park sometimes had the most funny acts of instinct where mothers with young foals may start gathering plant matter and sticks to make a place to lay down with their young. Just to wonder why they did that to begin with.

Soon as she felt mother jumping onto the bed she lowered her head and tucked it down. And much as she hated how small she was… It had one upside. Mom still found it easy to get up on top of her and lay down without much fuss or work. With the walls of covers all around her and mother on top she felt safe. Truly safe. A rare feeling and one made all the more worse as of late. Her fears melted away like ice in summer as soothing calls from a nesting mother on top soothed her thinking. She did not even fuss when she was adjusted, scooted and moved to make for easier laying on. She found herself unwilling to even joke as the darkness called her to sleep. Warm. Safe. Dark. Such things made keeping her eyes open pointless. And so she let out one pleased peep and drifted away to a deep slumber.

Haven indulged her daughter's more avian instincts, even helping her tuck the covers and pillows into a more bowl-like shape.  Though this was one of the common manifestations of nesting behavior, it was not the only one that pegasi practiced.  Some families preferred things like wall nooks and cubbyholes, mimicking tree-nesting birds.  It was just something they all did, though few talked about it...

Once the next was all done to their satisfaction, Haven climbed in beside Pipp, answering her peep with a coo as she nestled her smaller filly under her wing.  One's own foals always seemed small and cute in the mind of their parents, but little Pipp was likely to stay her size... probably for good, unless she got a late growth spurt.  Well, as much as it might embarrass her most days, until the day Pipp truly spread her wings and formed a nest with foals of her own, she would always be welcome to shelter from the world under mama's wings...