[Ponyville] Inn for the Night (open)

Boss_Hoss1

"Fascinating Prof. I travel a bit myself, I just came to Ponyville because I'm looking fo-" Colton stopped himself mid sentence and quickly and awkwardly composed himself, "I mean, uh, I'm here on business, I was transferred to Ponyville's weather team from Cloudsdale." Colton stated as he hoped nopony would notice his obvious slip up.

Colton begged for a distraction, and luckily he got one. A small chirping noise came from his coat pocket and he immediately rushed over and pulled out his pet sparrow, Sparks, a brown and white bird with a slanted beak. "Sorry about that little buddy, you must have dozed off and I forgot about ya." Colton said whilst letting out a small, fake chuckle. Colton suddenly remembered his company, "Oh sorry, this is Sparks, say hello to them buddy." Sparks was still angry at Colton and ignored him.

Colton shrugged and put the little guy down on the table, "By the way Prof, are pets allowed, because if they aren't then I'm sorry." Colton stated nervously as he always had trouble making first impressions.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mute mare smiled and nodded at Candy, then tapped out a quick "thanks" for speaking for her. Communicating among a large group was always sort of taxing on her, so she appreciated the assistance.

Rappatat listened to Colton, and tilted her head a little at his apparent slip up. She was perplexed by a sudden chirping noise, but a smirk soon crossed Rappatat's face when she saw the pegasus' pet. She gave a silent giggle at the annoyed bird, then gave it a friendly little wave with her hoof.

Candy neighs proudly "I'm from the other side of Canterlot, the Upper Solstice Heights. I came to watch the race and then helped catch a spider that had been Poison Joked into a giant that menaced the racers. The Professor here made a cure for the stuff and we returned the spider to normal. I dropped it off in the bushes outside so it cant' find any more Poson Joke."

She gave a small bow "As you can guess, my talent is catching things that are in danger or are dangerous, so I travel a lot helping out when I get messages from the various towns."

She went Fluttershy bright eyed "Ohhh that's an awesome pet sparrow you have there!"

Edited by Boss_Hoss1

The elderly green Pegasus looked wide eyed at the bird the newcomer had.

"I don't tink dee owner vould mind if dat birdie is vell behaved," Professor Krashkop said. "Many domesticated pets are very vell trained so day don't cause a fuss. Vait, vee must get dat birdie someting to eat."

The Professor left the table and returned a short time later with a small bowl of seeds.

"Dere you are, enjoy dees poppy seeds. I alvays bring some vith me vhen I travel. Sometimes folks vant me to bake some of mein own recipe Pumpernickel bread vith poppy seeds. Maybe vee can have day vith dee veiner snitzel tomorrow, ja?"

Sparks waved back to Rappatat with his little wing and gave out cute little chirping noise, Sparks had always been good with strangers, but not so good with his owner. Colton then said to Rappatat, "It seems Sparks here likes you."

Colton then turned his attention away from Sparks to Candy, "Solstice heights eh? I think I may have been there a few times, very charming little place." Colton said with a reminiscent smile, "So your jobs with animals then Candy, I can't imagine how much hard work that must be." Colton stated as he took a swig of water then continued, "And you say you travel to different towns on request, you must be very well known then."

Colton then turned his attention to the Professor once again, "Well that's good that the owner doesn't mind, thanks Prof." Colton replied with a smile once again. His smile got bigger as he saw Krashkop bringing in some seeds for Sparks, he then replied to the Professors question on tommorow's plans, "As much as I'd love to Prof. I'll be pretty busy tommorow getting settled in to the new job, but I'd love to try some of your cooking whenever I'm free."

Rappatat nodded at Colton, giving an amused grin toward the waving sparrow.

She paused, suddenly alarmed, and looked toward Candy. She tapped to her in code, ["Did any poison joke get on you?"], remembering an earlier encounter with the stuff. Rappatat reached out to tap again, but then stopped. She switched to her notepad, since this would be a little long. The mute pony wrote out a note, then cautiously passed it towards Candy, seemingly afraid of touching her.

["Please tell me there's no poison joke here. Back home, one of the pegasi got me some of it one day since he had a crush on me, and he just thought it was a pretty flower. It took a whole week for us to find somepony that could help get us back to normal. Trust me, having mushy hooves isn't good for tapping horse code or going down lighthouse stairs."]

Candy Catch-em giggled and bowed to Colton with a wink "Well Im trying to be more well known, but I've let all the towns know to call me if there is a critter problem so that's a big help. At least Ponyville has the services of a really great critter tamer. I believe I heard Fluttershy gave up a career as a fasion model for her critters. Now that is dedication!"

She ohhed as Rappatat suddenly looked scared, and asked if she had been affected by any Poison Joke, then wrote out a full note and gingerly hoofed it to her.

She looked at Rappatat "Thankfully no, I avoided touching it. The stuff is growing in the Everfree forest, but a bunch seems to have gotten loose in Whitetail Wood. Hopefully it's not pranksters cultivating them. I'm glad you found somepony with a cure and that you are all right now. I hope the poor colt wasnt in too much trouble."

"Did some pony mention poison joke?" Professor Krashkop asked as the green elederly Pegasus was serving second helpings of his casserole to other ponies at the table. "I invented an instant Poison Joke cure! A spray dat vill change any creature back to normal vith just vone spraying! Took me many years of research und development to get it right. I got infected meinself several times in dee process. I tink dee vorse case vas vhen it made mein vings disappear und gave me a unicorn horn instead! I nearly wrecked mein lab trying to control mein new magical powers! I vouldn't want to be a unicorn for all dee tea in Chinamare!"

The Professor instantly realized he had stuck his hoof in his mouth when he saw the angry stares of the half dozen unicorns at the table.

"Er, no offense, mein friends! Nut-ting wrong vith being a unicorn! Ja...."

Colton was pleasantly surprised towards the groups friendliness.

Colton shuddered at the Professors story, "Wow Prof. I can't imagine a day without my wings."

Colton looked around more, he had began to warm up after a long nights travel, he composed himself and continued, "A cure for poison joke though Prof. that's well, that's amazing." Colton said as he smiled.

"I've heard some pretty strange stuff on my travels, but this is just...wow, how did you even manage that, and how exactly did you change back?" Colton asked with great anticipation.

Rappatat breathed a sigh of relief and motioned her hoof as if she were wiping her forehead. She took the note back from Candy for a moment and added more to it. ["Oh, he was fine after we got fixed up. The date he wanted was a waaaaay different story, of course. We're still friends though."]

She turned her attention toward the Professor now, listening to his story. Rappatat snickered silently at his slip-up, then started tapping out a message after Colton finished speaking. ["Wow, what was the breakthrough?"]

Candy read the note and giggled, nodding to rappatat. "That date has to be quite a story in itself but I imagne it would be exhausting for you to tell right away. At least you two are friends."

The pegasus mare turned and looked at the Professor in surprise, a shiver running though her wings at his description of losing his wings from Poison Joke.

She then stifled a giggle as the unicorns glared at the professor. Candy spoke, hoping to ease the goof-up.

"Oh I dont know Professor, there's worse effects than becoming a unicorn. I would have welcomed a horn for the month I was grounded with that injured wing. Dealing with injured crtters can be problematic when all you can do is run, snare it's legs, or stare it down."

The Professor smiled widely while addressing the questions directed at him, hoping he wouldn't put his 'hoof in his mouth' again.

"Vell Colton, I had to vait till dee effects of dee Poison Joke vore off, so I vas a unicorn for about a veek. Dat experience made me appreciate all dee concentration it takes to perform unicorn magic, but I vas very bad at it."

Then the Professor turned towards Rappattat.

"Dee breakthrough, fraulien, vas vhen I found dee proper mixture of ingredients. I had all dee essential correct items, but dee cure must be mixed to a precise mixture or it doesn't vork und sometimes it goes KABOOM!! I am lucky I have next door neighbors who are kind enough to help me repair mein lab every time I blow it up..."

Professor Kraskkop then turned towards Candy.

"Ja, you are correct, fraulien Catchem. Having magic vould be very handy at times for any pony. Dat is vhy in mein younger days, I tried to create a magic vand so Earth ponies und Pegasi could use magic for dere own needs. But dat did not end vell. Have any of you ever heard of Krashkop Canyon south of Ponyville? Day named it after me because vhen mein prototype magic vand exploded, it formed dee canyon. Lucky for me dee place vas a barren vasteland before, so no pony or creature got injured, except me. From dat day to dis vone, I have never experimented vith magic again."

The green pelted Pegasus lowered his head in sadness, having just admitted his biggest failure.

Colton saw that the Professor was upset about admitting his past mistake, he didn't like seeing other ponies sad so he tried to turn the subject on it's head and make the Professor feel better.

"So they named that canyon after you then Prof.? Me and Sparks actually came through that very canyon on our way here." Colton looked to see if he had caught the Professor's attention and continued on, "I never would have guess that canyon was made that way, well I guess life's full of surprises." Colton said as he smiled.

He then took a more serious tone, "Listen Prof., if you don't mind me saying so, you really shouldn't beat yourself up about it. I mean what's past is past, and nopony got hurt so you shouldn't worry." Colton stated as he smiled, hoping his words had cheered the Professor up.

Rappatat stared in awe upon hearing the professor's story. She took a couple seconds to compose herself, then tapped out ["A whole canyon?"]. Her hooves remained silent a moment longer, then tapped out the code for an exclamation point as if the look on her face didn't already show her surprise. She resumed again, ["How did you survive that?"].

She sat quietly, and her face took on a more concerned look as she noticed the professor's demeanor after he finished his story. She felt a little guilty about her question now.

Candy Catch-em looked at the Professor in surprise, setting down her sandwich.

"OH Wow! You made the canyon? Please dont feel bad fer that. There's many cliff nesting birds, bats and those freaky eels that now have homes because of you, not to mentio the bear or two living in the cave cracks. I'm sure the falcons and eagles most especially would thank you personally. There's even deep ponds and streams here and there full of fish they feed on."

She smiled at the professor "I'm sure if you look at every accident you have had, there has to be some good that had come of it, right? I'll tell all the critters in the canyon who made their home for them. I just hope you did not get in trouble with Princess Celestia for that little addition to her maps.."

"Danka, Colton," Professor Krashkop said as he lifted his head up again and smiled. "Dat vas very kind of you to say."

The elderly green Pegasus then turned towards Rappatat.

"I vas lucky to survive indeed. Vhen I saw dee vand glowing und starting to spark, I threw it down und flew away from it as fast as I could. Dee updraft from dee explosion sent me flying up high into dee air! Couldn't believe I landed in vone of dee Great Nimbusgait lakes!"

He then turned towards Candy.

"Yavol! You are correct, fraulien! But I did have to answer in court in Canterlot for vhat happened. After mein hearing, day agreed it vas an accident but day ordered me to never dabble vith magic again."

"No problem Prof. It was my pleasure." Colton said as he smiled delighted

"That's a real shame though Prof, not being able to dabble with magic again I mean, sounds like who ever sentenced that didn't know a good idea when they saw it." Colton stated, as he thought to himself that he should probably look into the matter more later as the idea fascinated him.

He snapped back into reality as he realized that every ponies mood had changed, "Well, either way, it's good to see every pony happy again." Colton said as he thought of what to say next. He thought for a few seconds before continuing. He turned his attention to Candy, "So, uh, Candy, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get so interested in animals in the first place?" Colton asked as Sparks rested on his head, both of them eager for Candy's response.

Rappatat's head moved back a little in surprise when Krashkop mentioned how far he was thrown. She took a brief look around the table at the other guests' reactions, then turned toward Colton as he spoke. She smiled and turned toward Candy to hear her story, but soon had to turn away for a little yawn. She tended to spend late nights up at the lighthouse back home, and leaving early for Ponyville meant she didn't get to sleep in like usual. She seemed fine most of the day, but was definitely starting to feel it now. Rappatat gave her head a quick shake to wake herself up.

• 2 weeks later...

(My apologies for the delays, i've been sick a lot the past couple weeks and accidentally let this and other threads slip on by)

Candy listened raptly as the professor told of his thrilling escape from his own experiment and the unfortunate aftermath with being forbidden to deal with magic. "Oh wow! Sorry to hear that Professor Krashkop."

She turned to Colton as he asked her how she got interested in animals.

Candy smiled and leaned back in her seat "Well, my parents are Critter Catchers too, mostly retired though, so they run the place and care for the recuperating animals in my absence.

Anyway, when i was a filly, I had to do a show and tell, and went looking for a critter to ask to come to class. I found a muskrat, but he was ...less than friendly... Well now I know I have a special talent but I did not at that time. I thought I had just sweet talked him into coming to class with me. It seems I can do somthing the locals call... the STARE. They call it that because there's a sweet pegasus mare here in Ponyville that takes care of animals too.

They say she actually out-stared a basilisk and scolded him into restoring everypony it attacked, all with the kind of talent I have.

...Of course I would not want to test my powers that far..."

Candy looked over as Rappatat started to nod off "Oh! Rappatat. You look a bit droopy, did you need to go crash out?"

The Professor's mood lightened as he listened to Candy's story. The elderly green Pegasus then turned to Colton and smiled.

"It vas a blessing in disguise, heir Colton! Now dat I can no longer use magic, dat means I have to use mein brain und mein mechanical knowledge to make inventions for all ponykind! Magic has its place in Equestria, but so do good old fashioned mechanical devices too! Like dat apple picker I invented for dee Apple family to use. Too bad during dee demostration dee steam powered ting vent vild und started picking corn und tomatoes instead. Vouldn't had been so bad if dat machine hadn't started throwing dem at all of us! I vas going to try to adjust it, before it blew up!"

Professor Krashkop turned towards Candy.

"Dat is a very interesting tale indeed, fraulien. Vee all are ponies of destiny! Your destiny is vith animals, Rappatat's vith a lighthouse, und mein is inventing! Fraulien Rappatat, are you getting sleepy?"

Colton then turned his attention back to Candy to respond to her answer, "The 'stare' huh? I think I heard about that pony you were talking about." Colton said as he reminisced, "I think it was on a trip from Ponyville to Canterlot I first heard about that, it seems all the exciting stuff in Equestria happens in Ponyville I guess." Colton said as he chuckled slightly and leaned back in his chair.

Colton chuckled slightly at the professor's story, although he didn't want to laugh too much less he sound rude. Sparks wasn't taking that approach however as the bird was rolling back and forth on the table in hysterics, to which Colton quickly nudged him to tell the bird to stop.

When the professor mentioned 'destiny' Colton got thinking, What is my destiny? Colton asked himself, he wondered whether his destiny resided in travelling and whether he would ever settle down or not. Colton brushed it off and decided to think on the subject later. He turned back to the group as he noticed that Rappatat looked tired, he decided to add to what everypony had already said on the matter, "Yeah, you look pretty tired Rappatat. You should probably get some sleep." Colton said as he also yawned, Dang it, it's contagious. Colton thought to himself as he felt rather 'droopy' too.

Rappatat perked up and shook her head, slightly embarrassed about getting caught. She tapped her front hooves together to form a message, ["Sorry, I got up extra early today. Not trying to be rude, you all have good stories. Just tired"]. She took a quick look around the table, then continued, ["I'd tell stories, but I'd be tapping all night"].

Rappatat gave a silent laugh at the end of her message. She stretched her forelegs out in front of herself and cracked her wrists, emphasizing that her stories really would take a lot to tell.

She sat for a moment, then got a curious look on her face. Rappatat began another message, ["Do you have plans after dinner?"].

• 2 weeks later...

Candy Catch-em giggled despite herself at the mention of the picking machine throwing things before it's end. "Too bad Professor. I am sure you'll get it working right sometime. By the way, are steam engines prone to exploding? That sounds dangerous if they do."

(ooc; and to be clear, I do know IRL they can explode if you arent careful. ;) )

She looked back tro Rappatat "Oh! I see. That would be tiring for you if you tried to tell us all."

Unsure if the last question was directed at the handsome male that joined them, she erred on the side of caution and replied. "I have none in particular if you meant me, if anypony wants to hear stories or explore town a little before bed."

She looked around at the group of ponies in the room curiously.

"Vell fraulien Candy, steam engines can be dangerous," Professor Krashkop explained. "Dat day I don't know vhat happened, but I had to fly avay fast vhen dee Apple family told me to 'vamoose' after dee explosion."

The elderly green Pegasus listened to Rappatat's Horse Code replies.

"Understood, fraulien Rappatat, but I bet you have some very exciting tales to tell. As for mein plans for dee rest of dee day, perhaps a stroll around town vould be nice. If dere are many who vant to take a walk, den vee could all go together! I tink vee vill have a clear night sky vith a full moon tonight."

Colton leaned back in his chair once again and stretched his hooves above his head in tiredness. Sparks also followed in the pegasus' example and did the same actions. Colton then responded to Rappatat's first statement, "Well that's understandable, when you're tired you're tired I guess, and don't worry, you didn't come across as rude." The pegasus said with a pleasant smile.

Colton listened to everypony's response to Rappatat's question before he responded, less he sound rude after all.

"I was actually thinking of getting some sleep, but....why not I guess." The pegasus stated with an eager smile, "I'd love to hear some of you ladies' stories. And Prof I'd be up for a walk, it does look good outside" The pegasus said as he leaned back further and peeked out the window.