{Ponyville} The Dismal Dull Day {Open to all}

QuickLime

The air in Ponyville was strangely quiet instead of it's usual hyperactive buzz, a silence had drifted over the town like a thin layer of frost over a window pane. Quicklime stood infront of the window which was open, the cool Autumn breeze blowing through her green and black striped mane, a shiver going down her spine as she sat a pot of coffee on to brew to drive away the chill. The town seemed almost void of life for the moment but she hoped that soon it would liven up and become full of life and sound and joy. Right now it was damn depressing...

As the pot did it's duty to brew the slightly bitter drink she watched the glass pitcher slowly fill with the rich chocolate brown liquid. Crossing her arms loosely on the counter as it filled up and when it was done took the handle in her mouth carefully and poured a cup of the steamy liquid then adding cream, sugar, and a little flavoring to it before clasping it between her hooves and bringing it to her lips and taking a sip.

She flinched because she should have blew on it first , her tongue scalded from the liquid but she just blew on the cup before taking another sip being more careful this time as to not kill MORE taste buds.

Quicklime let out a soft satisfied sigh once she had taken her sip, the coffee warming up her insides and getting rid of the chill in her bones, it was a good feeling one that she enjoyed about the fall season in summer the only coffee she drank was iced and the chilling feeling just didn't measure up. When the cup was empty she made sure to wash and put it up before going to rest her forelegs on the window, hoof pressed against her cheek as she watched the empty streets hoping, no PRAYING for somepony ANYPONY to appear and to release the town of its rather boring silence.

Yet still nopony appeared to relive the haze of silence that hung like a thick fog over the town, it was almost like it was under a witches spell because not even the birds were chirping, not even a little whistle... it was a sad sad state of affairs it really truly was..

The relative silence that hung in the air was not to last; nor, as Quicklime had hoped, would the absence of another pony. A bit of an odd sight, a filly garbed from head to hoof in a suit of beat up grey armor came marching down the road at a relatively leisure pace; only her brown mane, green eyes and wings were not concealed under the armor, though the wings were heavily bandaged and tucked at her sides. The armored pegasus stopped her walk for a moment, her eyes looking down at a crumply autumn leaf on the ground. Seemingly interested in the leaf, she gave it a poke; it gave a loud CRUNCH in response and withered into dust, which a chilly breeze quickly swept away.

Shivering slightly, the filly continued her walk, admiring the surrounding environment. Her name was Kite, and being a native of Canterlot, she was fascinated by Ponyville's more natural appearance. The leaves on the ground, not swept away by magic, the smells of the trees wafting on the wind. Wistful thoughts of home were cast aside as the prospective Knight continued on her walk (a self assigned patrol on her lookout for knightly deeds to commit), the clop of her hooves and occasional clanky groans of her armor filling the heavy silence.

"No trouble to report here." She sighed to herself, "In fact, no nothing to report here. Ponyville is awful quiet today it seems."

Kite wasn't complaining, though. As eager as she was to prove herself a worthy knight, she wasn't about to go making trouble; she'd had plenty of that leaving Canterlot. And the huge storm that greeted her upon arriving in Ponyville was an adventure in itself.

She looked around again; nopony in sight. "Well, at least the scenery is worth the patrol." Kite remarked, crunching another leaf underhoof. "Crunchy leaves, a cool breeze, and the unmistakable scent of... coffee?" She paused, sniffing again. Turning around to try and catch a better whiff, the armored filly's sudden movements caused her helmet visor so slide down with a loud CLANG that echoed noisily through the silence.

The silence was broken by loud crunching and clashing! It had went from being dull and too quiet to suddenly being far too loud for sensitive pony ears! Quicklime nearly dropped her cup before glancing up from her window and spotted the rather small physique pony in the armor very obviously a royal guard. Quicklime smiled softly and waved at the pony “Hello there welcome to Ponyville! You should really come inside it’s not fit for Pony nor beast out there!” Moving to open her door with her hip “Come on the coffee is still perked and piping hot and you must be frozen clear to your bones”

She didn’t see new ponies super often but when she did she was more than happy to try and be hospitable , it was good for business after all and besides the weather was so nasty and dull it would be pretty cruel to just leave her out there in the cold.

"Hmm?" Kite slid up the visor to her helmet, looking up at the source of this sudden invitation. It was true that the weather was quite chilly; the idea of a hot cup of coffee was sounding quite fantastic as another crisp breeze danced past, sending several abandoned leaves down the path. "Oh, uh, of course!" The wannabe knight gave a nod, moving over to QuickLime's open door, and entering gratefully.

It was immediately warmer inside, and the strong scent of coffee was enough to lift a pony off their hooves. The armored filly didn't want to forget her manners though; so far, it was her experience that the ponies of Ponyville were a friendly and hospitable sort, and Kite didn't want to give the impression of being ungrateful for this. She bent her forelegs and bowed her head, stopping to catch her visor from sliding down noisily at the last second. "Uh, many thanks for the invitation inside, that coffee smells amazing!" The pegasus looked up, "My name is Kite, at your service!"

“Thanks it’s my special fall time brew “ She said and chuckled bringing a hot mug of the brew over ot the young Knight in training and sat it in front of her “My name is QuickLime, a pleasure to meet you Miss Kite, what brings you out on such a day like today?”

The young knight to be Pony was a little strange looking what wearing such armour and making so much noise but QuickLime was dying for ANY kind of company at the moment, closing the door behind the pony .

"I was out on a pre-emptive strike!" The filly explained, straightening up. "On the lookout for anypony in need of a helping hand, or for trouble; one never knows when it might rear it's head!" She gave a small grin, which was hidden behind her helmet. "Though so far, all is peaceful and quiet in town. Unless..." Kite paused; she hadn't though about it, but perhaps there WAS trouble in town! Maybe this pony, QuickLime, was in trouble, and here Kite was blathering on! "...unless you require assistance somehow! Like a quest! What's the problem?"

The armored pony's eagenerness shone through like a sunbeam in the clouds; "You just name it! Dragon in the cupboard? Evil wizard in the coffee pot? Let me at em! I might not look it, but I'm really tough, just gimme a chance!"

Danton stood outside the door Kite had entered not too long ago, though he did not see that. Danton's legs were weary, not only because his backpack was a fairly bit too heavy but also because of how long he had been walking.

"It's always a journey just to come here to Ponyville" thought Danton as he remembered all his times walking to Ponyville from his home in the Everefree Forest.

"But it's worth it for the isolation..."

He looked at a small piece of paper he was levitating in front of him.

"This is the place. I think" said Danton as he looked at the address.

Danton then proceeded to knock on the door.

*Knock knock knock*

(LOL Thank you for your timing Danton)

"Um I..." Thank goodness for the distracting knocking on her door! Quicklime's wings straightened up and out as she glanced towards it "I'll answer those questions in just.. one second..um Enjoy your coffee!" She bolted to the door and opened it smiling softly "Hello there sir how may I help you on this..." She glanced around outside "Rather crappy day?" Saying on this GLORIOUS day would be stretching it SEVERELY.

Edit: Changed 2nd "requested" item because aether is far too complex/confusing.

Danton looked around in slight confusion based on the 'crappy day' comment. He had hardly noticed the weather as it seemed so similar to the Everfree Forest.

"Oh uh, yes!" Danton said snapping out of his confusion.

"I'm looking for a specific herb and my friend pointed me here" he continued as he, telepathically, placed his note in his backpack.

"And, if you have any, I'm also looking for quicksilver. Though, I won't be surprised if you don't" Danton said with a bit nervousness while his eyes wandered.

• 3 weeks later...

“Ofcourse I have exactly what you are looking for, come on in and ignore the pony looking for dragons in the cuboard, may I get you something to drink?” QuickLime asked, going over to the cuboard where she kept her herbs starting to look for the specific plants that the dark unicorn had asked her for, he was a very interesting looking Unicorn with that dark coat and golden eyes that contrasted quite lovely.. it was a welcome sight after seeing Clumsy Mcbutterhooves over there…

The armored pegasus frowned slightly behind her helmet at the comment about "ignoring the pony looking for dragons in the cupboard"; had she been too enthusiastic? In retrospect, it DID seem like a silly thing to suggest... Nonetheless, Kite shook the momentary lapse in outward confidence off, and after a quick sip of her coffee (it was really hot!), she stood up to greet the new visitor.

"Oh, a friend of Miss Quicklime? My name is Kite, at your service!" She gave another polite bow, this time her visor sliding down with a loud CLANG before she could catch it. "Uh, I mean, don't mind me, sorry!" She quickly sat back down, flushing slightly; acting the part of a real cool knight sure was hard!