Doubts about Season 2

teygrim

Like Phil was saying earlier, I didn't find any problems with how Twilight was in this episode. We've seen a few times already that when a problem concerns Celestia, that Twilight will typically flip out more than usual. In this, it concerns her academics, which is the most important thing to her. It was shown as early as the pilot that her continued education is what she strives for.

I see how this Twilight is behaving completely different than she did in other episodes, but I still would not have put it past her.

Yeah, the episode itself did not set up for her breakdown, but I feel that the series itself did. Just like Pinkie's breakdown happened after several things, Twilight's breakdown happened after several things deep in her mind. Even though Celestia told her to not worry, she still does. Which is why she was paranoid in Bird in the Hoof after already being told the lesson in Swarm of the Century. It's almost as if she doesn't truly learn when it comes to Celestia, and now that it was something that Celestia explicitly told her to do, unlike the other times, it was the threshold to her organisation, which she prizes so much.

Still think it's too early to make a judgement on Season 2 yet.

hi hi

After further investigation, I'm beginning to suspect that it was mostly the animation of Twilight's expressions that over-exaggerated her emotions. I played the episode again, but this time I minimized the window and just listened to the sound. The script and the voice acting flowed much more smoothly without that clashing, crazy grin on her face I think.

hi hi

After further investigation, I'm beginning to suspect that it was mostly the animation of Twilight's expressions that over-exaggerated her emotions. I played the episode again, but this time I minimized the window and just listened to the sound. The script and the voice acting flowed much more smoothly without that clashing, crazy grin on her face I think.

I think you might have something there. The funny thing is that when I think back on this episode I remember it to be good but when ever I actually watch it, I'm too busy cringing to actually enjoy it. It's definitely possible that Twilights inhuman expressions have contributed to my inability to empathise with her in this episode.

hi hi After further investigation, I'm beginning to suspect that it was mostly the animation of Twilight's expressions that over-exaggerated her emotions. I played the episode again, but this time I minimized the window and just listened to the sound. The script and the voice acting flowed much more smoothly without that clashing, crazy grin on her face I think.

maybe you're right but still

exaggerate much?

Odd. I just rewatched the episode yesterday and was actually more emotionally involved with the characters than the first time watching it. Maybe I couldn't empathize with Twilight while she was crazy grinning all over the place but afterward with her and Princess Celestia? My eyes were watering up man. All of her friends rushing to help her made me feel all gooey inside. So yeah, no cringing from me. Just laughs and manly d'aaaws.

I think you might have something there. The funny thing is that when I think back on this episode I remember it to be good but when ever I actually watch it, I'm too busy cringing to actually enjoy it. It's definitely possible that Twilights inhuman expressions have contributed to my inability to empathise with her in this episode.

lol, that's definitely true.

That's my problem with works where the main character is unbearable. They make you think that the entire thing is terrible, but when you look at it, it is only that character that is terrible. Everything else is all right. That's happened to me too many times. Mostly with first person books