So That Didn't Go As Well As I'd Hoped...

Astalakio

Since becoming a brony a few weeks past, the only people I've told about it are people who I know are also bronies. Automatic acceptance. Even that was slightly awkward though, actually. The one person who was not a brony who I thought I would be able to tell (and perhaps even convert) was my little sister.

Now, her being only thirteen, I might've expected some immaturity in handling the matter. Since I've recently been her patient and understanding confidante, there to listen to all the troubles she'd been having at school, I expected the least I could get from her was a little acceptance in return. So eventually it came up in conversation, and she just laughed at me and started making jokes. I tried to explain to her all the good points about MLP (the quality of the show, the messages it conveys, the kind of good and honest qualities it creates in the community that has formed around it). I told her not to be closed minded, and to just watch the first episodes before making any comments. Regardless, she went on ripping me about it, and I told her to just talk to me again after she'd grown up a bit, and quit Skype.

Now, my sister pretty much thinks the world of me, and I was quite sure that she was torturing herself with regret after my departure. She probably still feels bad about it right now. I signed back into Skype to talk to my Mum a little later, and in my sister's overwhelming regret, she's only gone and outted me to my parents while she was at it. Alright, so they don't seem to know the big picture (only that we had an 'argument over My Little Pony', which my Mum is baffled about). The point is, even after me telling my sister that I didn't want everyone to know because they would react just like she did, she went and spilled anyway. Well, I know my parents are probably more understanding and accepting than my sister is, so I don't worry about that. When the topic eventually comes up, I'm not worried about my parents, I'm just annoyed at my sister.

So I wouldn't be surprised if she does go ahead and watch the first episodes just because she feels bad, and she'll probably come around to it fairly soon and see how great it is. Either way, the whole thing really didn't pan out how I thought it would, and I just felt like I needed to vent to somepony here.

• Like 1

hi hi

Thats sore. :( I'm sure it'll work itself out in the end though. I don't know what I can say that might be helpful, but I bet that if you let your sister know that you're not upset about it anymore, you'll do fine. I don't know if she thought it was just all in good fun or not, but I suspect that if you let her know why it hurt, she'll understand, if she's up for listening anyway. Whatever you decide to do though, best of luck to ya. :)

IMO? No big deal. MLP's a perfectly innocent thing to enjoy, albeit an unorthodox one for the 18-25 male demographic. Point out that there's likely moral integrity involved in it than much of reality television - Jersey Shoreand much of MTV come to mind. It's far less gruesome and violent than the majority of war-related movies or horror films, and a lot less likely to desensitize you to excessive violence.

Well, if you feel the need to defend your enjoyment of the show, that is. Heck, point out some of the variuos 'okay, I'm a brony' videos on youtube - the normal ones from unorthodox fellows, rather than the odd ones. Again, if you feel it requisite to defend your choice.

Honestly, though, it's probably no big deal, and any sane person will get over it on their own, with or without prompting.

It's really good you've actually approached this in a cool headed manner. :)

We all make mistakes every now and then, sometimes very big ones, and usually at such a young age we don't consider much of what we do until after...when we see the consequences, and start to regret.

Thanks you two. As an update, I told her I forgave her behaviour and that I wouldn't mind if she didn't understand me, if only she'd steer away from being hurtful. I told her that the other option was to just give the show a chance, and I am happy to report that she was watching the first episode (of her own free will) when I left her. I can't say how she'll react, since she's not really in the target demographic OR the peripheral demographic, but I'd say that's better than how we left it last night at least...

And besides, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't cave to the Magic of Friendship after watching enough of it.

• Like 1

I'm glad your sister decided to watch it. Hopefully, she'll figure out sooner or later on her own that it's worth watching.

I sort of had a similar experience there. I have this younger brother who would jump into any "fandom" that I usually jumped in. In the past, I got into Anime/Manga and he jumped along with me. When I started to learn the guitar because I wanted to be in a band, he jumped right along me. Same goes for my video gaming passion, he was always there jumping along having fun. Then MLP:FiM came. Took me a while to get converted and when I became a brony, I thought that my brother would like this as much as I did. It turns out that he kinda was, "What the !()$ is this?" I was truly surprised but it didn't bother me until I realized that he was no longer the younger brother who used to fall into these kinds of things like I did. (I'm 8 years older than him btw). For a while he kinda lost his "respect" for me because of a "girly show". I guess his new hobby of Photography (with those blasted DSLRs) has thrown everything out the window so he doesn't care much about Ponies or anything else at the moment. Slowly, he just "dealt with it" with me being a brony and everything, but I never pushed for him to like it. But its the subtle things that peaks his interests. For example, the cool YAY Fluttershy ringtone on my phone that he liked and asked for. The Pony silhouette wallpapers on my laptop which he asked to copy and the Techno/Electronic Remixes of the MLP songs that he thought was cool.

But even with all that, he's still not digging into the whole MLP:FiM, and that's still cool to me. He is what he is and I love him for that. And did I mention that I made a "20% cooler" themed shirt (with subtle rainbow dash designs) and he liked it? :blah:

Ha, that's pretty cool. It's a similar story with my sister and I, she always used to get into the things I was into. I don't know what it is about MLP that them younger folk just can't take. It's a bit of a paradox that older people can get into more easily, isn't it? Anyway, maybe the same kind of situation will roll out for me as it did for you. But I can't help but think that it would be really cool if she could find it awesome and then it could be something that we could share, you know? Because I don't really know any bronies IRL that I talk to frequently, and it'd be nice to have someone around to get the references I keep making :sad:

I don't know what it is about MLP that them younger folk just can't take. It's a bit of a paradox that older people can get into more easily, isn't it?

I wouldn't call this so much of a paradox, really. In fact, I don't find it to be all that surprising. Usually (but not always), with age comes better understanding and appreciation of things. I find, in my case, that the older I get, the more I tend to appreciate/like things I didn't when I was a kid. For example, I used to absolutely loathe winter. Now, winter is setting in once more, and...I'm okay with it. Perhaps even a little happy about it. I relish the calm and the quiet, shoveling (I know it's weird, but I love to shovel, and besides, it's great cardiovascular exercise), and curling up inside under a warm blanket with hot cocoa/tea and a good book.

They say things often get better with age. I hope that is the case for all of us. :P

They say things often get better with age. I hope that is the case for all of us. :P

Some things more than others.

The whole problem is probably just his sister going through phases. She is only 13, and she probably doesn't want to look totally uncool to her friends, like yeah.

We should never forget the curiosity and open-mindedness that exists in kids, though. That's something that I don't like that comes with age. Then again, it's all just a fallacy set by the system. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I'm down visiting the family this weekend, and now I can safely say: mission accomplished.

All it took was showing her some songs, and now, after asking all about the characters and the premise, she's ready to watch the episodes. Tonight I'm going to watch the first two episodes with her :)

Didn't I say, all it takes to convert a neigh-sayer into a brony is MORE PONIES! :D

She'll be joining this forum too very soon.

• Like 1

Way to make me feel bad. I didn't know there was a whole internet community that supported it, all I heard was that it was a dumb baby girl's show, so when you told me you liked it, you can see why I found it weird.

BUT OMG I LOVE IT :D

(and may i add, now that i like it, i'm about 20% cooler :))

• Like 2

Way to make me feel bad. I didn't know there was a whole internet community that supported it, all I heard was that it was a dumb baby girl's show, so when you told me you liked it, you can see why I found it weird.

BUT OMG I LOVE IT :D

(and may i add, now that i like it, i'm about 20% cooler :))

I myself am not quick to judge, so when I heard there was teenaged male following of the show, I thought "There's more to this show than meets the eye."

Well, none of the ponies morphed into giant fighting robots, but I found the characters enthralling and humor well played. Then I found Canterlot.com and saw the community (for the most part) is just as great as the show.

Welcome aboard!

That is always one thing that really annoys me.

If this show didn't carry the name "My Little Pony", no one would care at all. They care simply because of that name though. It's like caring about clothes, just because of the brand name, and not because the clothes fit well and look good. But, ah... That's the world we live in.

I'm sorry to hear that though. I have a sister who is just now turning 13, and our stories are not too different at all. She walks into my room every now and then to find I'm watching an episode, or a clip, laughs at me a bit, laughs when I wear my shirts... Honestly, it's kind of funny. I mock her over Call of Duty and how that's a boy thing, she mocks me over My Little Pony and how it's a girl thing. Just remember that she is, and always will be, your sister. There's a special connection that siblings share, and I'm sure you'll see it soon enough. And I'm also sure your parents will not think any less of you. They may be very confused though... And all it will take is a little explaining.

Edit time because I missed some posts: Welcome to the herd!

I was reading this thread because it intrigued me. I tried showing MLP to my brother and the reactions were... less than appropriate but entirely expected given his character. Still, glad to see some ponies are having success :)

You may be on to something though. Maybe all I need is more pony to convert him. How does that saying go? "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it." Maybe I just need to throw him in a pool. Not an actual horse, my brother I mean. And by pool I mean pony avalanche.

• Like 1

I was reading this thread because it intrigued me. I tried showing MLP to my brother and the reactions were... less than appropriate but entirely expected given his character. Still, glad to see some ponies are having success :)

You may be on to something though. Maybe all I need is more pony to convert him. How does that saying go? "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it." Maybe I just need to throw him in a pool. Not an actual horse, my brother I mean. And by pool I mean pony avalanche.

You should probably ease him into it, by saying "Just shut up, sit down and watch the show like a man! Popcorn?"

The popcorn is vital to success, in ways one cannot imagine!

It still vexes me why some bronies are soo afraid about admitting they like the show, I understand everyone is from a different walk of life and have different people around them but when you look at it, and I mean REALLY look at it, there is not one thing wrong with enjoying a show like MLP, it's nothing to be ashamed of by any means, the show is a good show on soo many levels. I am proud to watch it and actually let its messages improve my daily life. As for dealing with haters or people that mock me for it, well...that is simple. I stopped caring what other people thought of me a long time ago, the only opinions of myself I care about are my own.

hi hi

I think part of the reason why I hesitate to tell people I like the show is because when you want to get the truth across to someone, it is often important to tell the whole truth. Because of people's pre-conceived notions about My Little Ponies, simply telling someone you like it is bound to cause a misunderstanding. Sometimes explaining why a pre-conceived notion doesn't apply in a given situation can be challenging, and often isn't a task that can be accomplished with casual discussion or small talk.

It still vexes me why some bronies are soo afraid about admitting they like the show, I understand everyone is from a different walk of life and have different people around them but when you look at it, and I mean REALLY look at it, there is not one thing wrong with enjoying a show like MLP, it's nothing to be ashamed of by any means, the show is a good show on soo many levels. I am proud to watch it and actually let its messages improve my daily life. As for dealing with haters or people that mock me for it, well...that is simple. I stopped caring what other people thought of me a long time ago, the only opinions of myself I care about are my own.

Quite so.

MLP is part of my Internet life, which is completely separate and has no relevance to my life in the real world. I don't feel any urges to share it with people, I just enjoy it privately and only share my enjoyment on the net, like this site for instance.

And shame for liking it? You're talking with a man that has no shame whatsoever

224124_dance_troll.gif

Wow...Its just a show... Its such a silly thing to fight over....

I also have a little story about my like of my little pony being challenged.

Ok. I moved into my collage residence in late August which is when I met my roomate. I told her I liked ponies (Hell she saw all of them on my tv) And she dident seem to care that much. Had no problem with it. As the moths past she became inconsiderate to my space. No room on the table in the kitchen, keeping me up at night, keeping alcohol in the fridge (were both underaged so if they found it we were both responceibul), haveing a hot plate (HUGE FIRE HAZORD) and wost of all she prevented toilet clogging by...throwing her used toilet paper in the trash RIGHT BESIDE THE TOILET! Worst thing: She broke one of my vauble possessions. Didn't apologize. She tryied to hide it from me...That was the last straw so I told the RA. She wasent happy about that. But she was breaking the rules and makeing me feel uncomfortable. And since Im paying 6000$ a term to live there I have the right to feel comfortable in my own room...

ANYWAY The thing about ponies: After I watched the then newest ep of MLP (The Rainbowdash tank one) I wanted to draw her cuddling with tank. I thought it was so cute that I hung it on my name tag of my dorm. (*NOTE: My name tag= my space)Next day I found a note on my fridge."Move the pony please...oh btw Im moveing out." I was danceED. I knew this was beacuse she was mad at me not beacuse she had a problem with the pony. Passive Agressive much? So you wanna know what I did...I posted another one :blah: I wanted to hang a picture of pinkie pie on my door (A picture I drew) I wanted to make her look like she was standing on the door lookie hole. Anyway. Day went on as useual. Then went to my dorm and saw they were gone. She posted them on my door....Disrespect to my expression of myself in my space....I was SO mad I was shaking. I had the right to hang up my art no matter what the subject matter is. I payed money to live there and this is a right of mine. Anyway. I put them in thier rightful places and waited. I called by bf over to help me make sure I dident hit her. We talked about it. Her being very rude saying "I have the right to throw your art in the toilet/trash." "I dont like it cause its stupid." "Your acting immature."

Next day she moved out....she moved out over a paper horse....and IM immature?

Anyway, I stood my ground and now i have ponys all over my door. (I had to take the pinkie down...she got defaced Gee wonder who THAT was.. :roll:

So the lession here: Dont let anyone censor you. Like what you like. If they want to have a tantrum about candy colored horses then fine. Hopefully they will grow up and relise that other peoples interests arent something to have tantrums about. :)

I'm rather vocal about me being a Brony and what not (but I never really flaunt it) and from my experience of bad acceptance would be from a lack of understanding and the fact that people will have that knee jerk reaction of instantly calling it 'gay' or 'weird' or having a 'WTF moment' (I get it quite a bit at school due to going to an all boys school). Most people just focus on calling it that because they just don't know about it, they're usually the people who don't know at all about the Brony community and actually how big it is, so don't really beat yourself up about it because this usually comes up from people not understanding.

Usually when people rip on the show I just say "Don't knock it until you try it (I usually put a mate into it but that sounds a bit too Australian)" it usually shuts them up or forces them to watch the show and thus they usually become a Brony so really a win-win.

On another note a good vent can do a world of good there was this one time (anecdote warning) during one of my school camps for Cadets one of the people in my section (AAC Corporal so section commander) was extraordinarily annoyed about being in the bush. So long story short after an hour of venting about the stupidest of things about what the bush lacks (McDonalds, Internet cafes etc.) and after a few laughs he started to feel alright so venting can really help a person out, hope everypony here has helped you out, I can't stand a sad person even if I just know them over the internet.