GREETINGS, EVERYONE! SEEING AS WE ARE IN CANTERLOT, I THOUGHT IT APPROPRIATE TO USE THE ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE! SO, I SAY TO YOU...what?.....what do you mean they don't.....oh, fine. I'm being told that we do not use the Royal Canterlot Voice anymore. Sorry about anyone whose ears began bleeding or are experiencing deafness.

Now that that joke is out of the way, I was hoping to get some advice from the Brony community, and since I couldn't find EQD's forums (if they even have forums) and didn't know where to ask on Pony Chan, I found my way here, Canterlot (It's only a model).

I have two basic questions about two separate projects I've been mulling over in my head for some time now.

1: I have been thinking up fan fiction in my head for well over a month now, but the only trepidation I have of writing it down and posting it on the web is I throw myself into the story. Not my OC pony, mind you, I mean me, myself, traveling to Equestria and becoming a pony. I'm very well aware I would not be the first fan to do so, but I still worry about whether it can still be good stories despite the fact that I'm inserting myself into it. Some of the storylines I've thought up include a return of both Discord and Nightmare Moon (at the same time, no less), a trip to a dystopian future Equestria and the introduction of a pantheon of Elder God ponies that want to take over the world (of course!). The writing would be very self-referential and I planned on including knocks at really bad fanfiction as part of the narrative or at least my own inner monologue. And don't worry, my character is not some secret ******* son of Equestria and Discord that has one bat wing, one angel wing and three unicorn horns as well as deer antlers and is all black with neon rainbow streaks in his mane and he sparkles like Edward (the film version cause it's the best version) and etc etc etc, you get the idea. My OC is just a light tan body, brown mane with blue eyes, square rimmed glasses, a thin mustache and Groucho Marx glasses for a cutie mark (though I'm still not entirely sure if that best fits or not. Cutie mark is still a work in progress until I get some feedback). If any actually capable and talented artists out there want to help me develop it, I did do a basic design using that OC creator: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/250/9/7/vaudeville_with_background_by_boatloads101788-d497j6r.png. Unfortunately, I'm that great with my hands or I would have done it myself. C'est la vie.

2: I did come up with an idea recently to do readings of fanfiction for YouTube as a way to get voice over practice and to get myself out there. I'm again well aware I'm not the first to do so, but I still wanted to give it a shot. However, before I began investing in quality recording equipment and time into researching good fanfics to record, I wanted to ask around and see what the Brony community thought about audiofics, some advice from anyone who does it themselves and are having any success and especially interest from females who can imitate the characters from the show and would like to be a part of this. Being of the masculin persuasion, I'm not as good at imitating 90% of the cast of the show, especially the Mane 6, Spike, the CMC and the Princesses. I do, however have a great narrator's voice, or so I've been told, and that portion I have no problem doing. While yes, like regular audiobooks, I could do all the voices myself, but I think it adds something when you have an actual cast that sounds like the characters, kind of like an old radio drama, you know?

Any sort of insight would be most helpful so that I can finally stop thinking about these things and start doing something. Thanks in advance.

1. I warn you right now, I'm NOT a fan of self-insesrtion fics. If you want to have that background character over there be you, that's fine, but not the hero (and dont feel bad, we've ALL done them, some of us many, many, many times... often with very low success rates). So I appologize for being biased. But other than that, you have some good ideas, I'd like to see an outline, and I for one would be more than glad to critique and give advice each step of the way. (I'd like to think others would, but if you look below us I have 3 story ideas already posted that are being ignored, so...) anyway, flesh it out and post a more detailed plot! Lets see what you've got!

2. I'm very mixed on the topic. I've seen some I loved and a lot that I hated... really depends on the story and your specific style and accent (not that an accent is bad, but I couldnt handle 4 hours of deep-south alabama, for instance --- but as a voice for AJ that would work well!) I just beg you to do us all a favor and DO NOT RECORD CUPCAKES!!!!

Ashton:

1. Yeahh, that's why I brought it up. And no need to apologize for the bias. Most of those stories DO suck, which is why I don't want to work hard to try and write something that will end up sucking from the get go. I guess I just need to remind myself that the stories can't revolve around me and that the Internet doesn't care much for my pony or my fantasies of going through a gateway to Equestria, turning into a pony and living my life as the hero who helps save the world from all these great evils that keep happening and dealing with being the "outsider" and having all the chaos be because of me while I spend my nights in Twilight's library, which she offered out of the kindness of her heart and then we finally begin to realize what everyone else knew all along: we were meant for each other.....probably said too much.

2. Don't worry, I have no intention on doing super GrimDark, overly gory fics. I probably won't do too much shipping fics either, unless some really good ones grab my attention, and that all depends on how much help I can get with voice actors (actresses, mainly). I got the idea from hearing about Family by NTSTS, the one about Braeburn and Bic Macintosh. I figured I could do an audio version of that since I had no problems doing those two voices. As for the narrator, I was thinking something with as little accent as possible, that way it isn't grating to listen to. Kind of like NPR, but doesn't put you to sleep.

Ashton:

1. Yeahh, that's why I brought it up. And no need to apologize for the bias. Most of those stories DO suck, which is why I don't want to work hard to try and write something that will end up sucking from the get go. I guess I just need to remind myself that the stories can't revolve around me and that the Internet doesn't care much for my pony or my fantasies of going through a gateway to Equestria, turning into a pony and living my life as the hero who helps save the world from all these great evils that keep happening and dealing with being the "outsider" and having all the chaos be because of me while I spend my nights in Twilight's library, which she offered out of the kindness of her heart and then we finally begin to realize what everyone else knew all along: we were meant for each other.....probably said too much.

2. Don't worry, I have no intention on doing super GrimDark, overly gory fics. I probably won't do too much shipping fics either, unless some really good ones grab my attention, and that all depends on how much help I can get with voice actors (actresses, mainly). I got the idea from hearing about Family by NTSTS, the one about Braeburn and Bic Macintosh. I figured I could do an audio version of that since I had no problems doing those two voices. As for the narrator, I was thinking something with as little accent as possible, that way it isn't grating to listen to. Kind of like NPR, but doesn't put you to sleep.

Oh geeze, that hurt my brain. periods are your friends! (lol I cant say much I've written massive runons too but... yeah...)

1. Chop it up, make it different stories. Dont make yourself a human, if you MUST self-insert, make youreslf a pony from Fillydephia, Manehatten, the distant future/past whatever. You can make it subtle enough that people dont realize it's a self-insertion and think it's just an OC story, that will kill the stigma.

2. Not familiar with Family (saw the story on ED but didnt read it yet - honesly at this point I've not read but a dozen or so fics) I miss NPR, they stopped broadcasting in my area around 5 years ago... but I'd suggest you look into audio editing software and try to fake the voices yourself. I've done 5 different projects over the years and had everyone from complete strangers to my then-fiance say they'll help me and never lift a finger. If you'd like some suggestions I had a really good program I used a while back I can try to dig up. (also I've noticed if you speak quietly it's easier to hit Pinky's pitch, then you just amplify the sound --- using this I can do a near-perfect fluttershy, a very good pinky, and a recognizable applejack (though it's clearly off in AJ's case so...YMMV))

Oh geeze, that hurt my brain. periods are your friends! (lol I cant say much I've written massive runons too but... yeah...)

1. Chop it up, make it different stories. Dont make yourself a human, if you MUST self-insert, make youreslf a pony from Fillydephia, Manehatten, the distant future/past whatever. You can make it subtle enough that people dont realize it's a self-insertion and think it's just an OC story, that will kill the stigma.

2. Not familiar with Family (saw the story on ED but didnt read it yet - honesly at this point I've not read but a dozen or so fics) I miss NPR, they stopped broadcasting in my area around 5 years ago... but I'd suggest you look into audio editing software and try to fake the voices yourself. I've done 5 different projects over the years and had everyone from complete strangers to my then-fiance say they'll help me and never lift a finger. If you'd like some suggestions I had a really good program I used a while back I can try to dig up. (also I've noticed if you speak quietly it's easier to hit Pinky's pitch, then you just amplify the sound --- using this I can do a near-perfect fluttershy, a very good pinky, and a recognizable applejack (though it's clearly off in AJ's case so...YMMV))

Well that one run on was intended.

1. Never planned on making myself anything but a pony. In fact, I already had an intro story going on not involving the Mane 6. Although the city I would call home would be Steedland (after the closest big city I actually do call home).

2. Same here. In fact the only fics I have read have been Doctor Whooves. That's one of the reasons I decided to get a Mac. Garage Band built in.

Well that one run on was intended.

1. Never planned on making myself anything but a pony. In fact, I already had an intro story going on not involving the Mane 6. Although the city I would call home would be Steedland (after the closest big city I actually do call home).

2. Same here. In fact the only fics I have read have been Doctor Whooves. That's one of the reasons I decided to get a Mac. Garage Band built in.

1. As long as it's written as an OC Pony story, and the pony doesnt use your name or such, then you'll avoid a lot of stigma from self-instertion (I always feel dirty saying that... >.<).

2. I admit to reading mostly Rainbow Dash fanfics ("a day with the wonderbolts" "skittles" "muffins" "a dashed reputation" "my little Dashie") though I did love "A future worth saving" which is a mane-6 story (but sadly is incomplete and close to 2 months since last update) I'm avoiding the Dr Whooves untill later since I'm not caught up on Dr Who and dont want spoilers (I am just waiting for somone to make a 'Jack Harkness' pony, that will make my day! lol) You lucky son of a... gun... I wish I could afford a Mac *is sick of windows getting viruses, and sick of Linux not runing 2/3 of software* oh well, one day... and I meant software like Audacity (waveforem editor), though if your going to do a lot of VA, you might want to look at Adobe Soundbooth (I think it's called that) and if you do animation, Adobe After Effects.

I just read the original post, so forgive any repetitions that I am sure to type.

(1) I personally despise three types of fanfics; two of them being the Human in Equestria type and another being self-inserts. It seems as though Human in Equestria stories makes up 40% of all fanfics, Shipping 50%, and Other as 10%, so I tend to avoid them. As for self-inserting, it is generally frowned upon in writing and I highly recommend avoiding it. If you want to relate to your character, write down your personality traits and use the main ones for your OC, but don't forget to include character flaws. Avoid breaking the 4th wall and you should be fine.

Although it ultimately comes down to what YOU want to do. Sometimes it is best simply writing what is on your mind, just to get it out of your head and onto paper.

(2) I do not have much experience on fanfic readings. My personal preference would be a variety of readers, as to easily distinguish characters. It is very important that the voices are interesting and entertaining ... vital that the voice captures the emotion of the character.

1. As long as it's written as an OC Pony story, and the pony doesnt use your name or such, then you'll avoid a lot of stigma from self-instertion (I always feel dirty saying that... >.<).

2. I admit to reading mostly Rainbow Dash fanfics ("a day with the wonderbolts" "skittles" "muffins" "a dashed reputation" "my little Dashie") though I did love "A future worth saving" which is a mane-6 story (but sadly is incomplete and close to 2 months since last update) I'm avoiding the Dr Whooves untill later since I'm not caught up on Dr Who and dont want spoilers (I am just waiting for somone to make a 'Jack Harkness' pony, that will make my day! lol) You lucky son of a... gun... I wish I could afford a Mac *is sick of windows getting viruses, and sick of Linux not runing 2/3 of software* oh well, one day... and I meant software like Audacity (waveforem editor), though if your going to do a lot of VA, you might want to look at Adobe Soundbooth (I think it's called that) and if you do animation, Adobe After Effects.

The Whooves fics I've read have been all right so far. They either had no spoilers or if they did, I'm too dense to realize it. There are two by Loyal2Luna on FIMfiction where the first one is him trying to figure out Pinkie Pie and getting used to being a pony in Equestria that was really nice. Then there's the Elder comics by ShwiggityShwah on DeviantArt that I enjoy where.....well, I won't spoil it. You kind of have to get used to the art style, it's pretty much cut and paste for the most part, but the writing is good enough that I can enjoy it.

I've used Audacity before. I think that was the program I used when I worked at my college radio station, but it could have been the Adobe as well. Thanks.

I just read the original post, so forgive any repetitions that I am sure to type.

(1) I personally despise three types of fanfics; two of them being the Human in Equestria type and another being self-inserts. It seems as though Human in Equestria stories makes up 40% of all fanfics, Shipping 50%, and Other as 10%, so I tend to avoid them. As for self-inserting, it is generally frowned upon in writing and I highly recommend avoiding it. If you want to relate to your character, write down your personality traits and use the main ones for your OC, but don't forget to include character flaws. Avoid breaking the 4th wall and you should be fine.

Although it ultimately comes down to what YOU want to do. Sometimes it is best simply writing what is on your mind, just to get it out of your head and onto paper.

(2) I do not have much experience on fanfic readings. My personal preference would be a variety of readers, as to easily distinguish characters. It is very important that the voices are interesting and entertaining ... vital that the voice captures the emotion of the character.

1. That's what I thought and that's why I was worried about inserting myself into the stories. Thankfully, the ideas I have can easily take me out of the equation and be great fics (probably even better). And if I'm still stuck on the idea of writing myself as a pony in Equestria, I can write OC stories that have nothing to do with the main series, or at least not in the way I initially thought.