Story of my day (Or: Rampant pony influence!)

TenthSpeedWriter

So... I had one of those moments today. Y'know, the ones where your fanship actually influences your life decisions. xD

I've had to put off watching much of season 2 up to this point because of school-related stress and such. (I guess I have a hard time enjoying the show itself as much as I'd like when I'm in a sour mood.) I made it as far yesterday as S2E5 – Sisterhooves Social.

I felt like, in some ways, it really reflected how my little sister and I are. I'm 21 and off at college most of the time; she's in middle school right now. She tends to run up in my personal space, and I tend to be overbearing. When we're together, it's usually in that tolerate-and-annoy-the-dance-out-of-each-other mindset, and we rarely bond as much as we should. While I was thinking about the episode, I realized that right now she's a lot like I was at her age; over-dramatic, good intentioned, easily frustrated... we even have the same taste in music and anime. It seemed... really sad, that as easy as it should be for us to relate, we never spend more than a few minutes at a time getting along.

So, I went and visited today.

I took her out for a cup of ice cream, and we talked for a while, just about the sort of things that a preteen girl wants to talk about. I'm happy to know that she's at least as geeky as I ever was. Afterward, I took her back home for a while and taught her the very basics of Warhammer 40k; I remember her asking me about it months ago, but I didn't think she could even start to comprehend the rules. Instead, she ended up winning against me twice. (And she can just keep on thinking I let her win that second round.That's totally what happened. Shh.)

I found out after it was all over that she was having trouble in her classes, and wasn't ready for her final tests; so, I offered to sit down and tutor her over the next few days. Usually I can't get her to sit still for anything, but I think that somehow breaking down that wall between us changed her mind; she agreed to it, and I think she'll be read by the time her tests start.

I dunno if y'all really cared to hear the journal of my day, and I admit it's kinda tl;dr, but it occurred to me just a minute ago that the cause of all of this was a watching an episode FiM. It stunned me just how close to home its writers can hit... and I guess I felt like that was something I had to share.

Also, I left her a note; she has to watch the same episode now. I got Momma to say so. It's divine law. It's gotta happen.

… I win. :kissy:

• Like 5

It is often apparent to me that everything I experience/watch/read/etc has consequences in my life.

Either you put garbage in and get garbage out, or you put good in and get good out.

The effect is amplified by time.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am looking forward to hearing more of them.

The following story is either MLP related or a coincidence....

Four months ago (and three months before I watched the first episode) I decided to act on a 15 year urge to get a guitar and take lessons. It was for me. I didn't have any band aspirations, or the desire to play on a stage, and I rebuffed my church worship team's suggestions that I join them eventually. Over the course of the last couple weeks I realized that I was being selfish. I had thought that being selfish with the talent would look like Rainbow Dash's grandstanding. I didn't realize it could look like a dragon hoarding treasure. I thus made the decision yesterday to dedicate it to God, and thus to all people. It has been too early for that to mean any actual action yet, but the attitude adjustment has me reeling at the moment. We will see how it goes from there.

• Like 1

TenthSpeedWriter, you might want to consider putting that story on Ponychan. I'd suggest the same to you weesh, but I'm not sure Ponychan would receive the God aspect very well. :/

I'm new to MLP fandom...what are the strengths of the ponychan site over canterlot.com?

I'm new to MLP fandom...what are the strengths of the ponychan site over canterlot.com?

Ponychan attracts a lot of Bronies from what I can see, but it also looks a ton less organized. And, with more people come more trolls, since Ponychan is kind of an extension of 4chan. However, sometimes Bronies do post inspirational or funny stories there, and who doesn't like a good inspirational story, especially as from one Brony to another?

Ponychan attracts a lot of Bronies from what I can see, but it also looks a ton less organized. And, with more people come more trolls, since Ponychan is kind of an extension of 4chan. However, sometimes Bronies do post inspirational or funny stories there, and who doesn't like a good inspirational story, especially as from one Brony to another?

Heh. Tales, you have failed to convince me to leave : )

Well, if anyone gives you a hard time about it, then I'd suggest filing them into this bin right here.

Too many people seem too quick to file away others' world views under shallow and presumptuous titles, instead of understanding the meaning behind their perspectives and what they have in common between themselves.

I'm sure we'd have an interesting theological debate, but academics aside, I feel like I know where you're coming from, and I find your story very inspiring. :smirk: