Sweet Beginnings (Open to all Candy Craving Ponies!)

Lux

In Canterlot there was a rather unusual looking building. The two story building was built to look like a gingerbread house with brown walls decorated in oversized candies like peppermints, gum drops, licorice, and other assorted goodies. It looked good enough to eat, and oddly enough one pony actually tried to take a bite out of the corner which resulted in a rather unpleasant trip to the dentist.

The sign above the door was done in a similar style and proudly proclaimed:

Mr. Cocoa's Candy Creations

Below that another sign was attached:

Grand Reopening

Sweet Surprise was excited for this day. She spent days working with Mr. Cocoa to plan this reopening, and now the time had finally arrived. She trotted, no more like hopped, down the stairs and through the massive candy kitchen into the store area. There were many shelves which lined the wall, each featuring a different type of candy. One table had several containers where ponies could choose loose candy and fill a bag. At the counter there were glass disdplay cases holding even more candy.

"Alrighty," Sweet said to herself as she looked around the room, "Lollipops in their holders? Check! Candy and Chocolate Apples? Check! Loose candy? Check! Chocolate bars and truffles? Check. Fudgealicious fudge? Check! Adorable and Sweet Candy Seller? That's me!" With that last part she let out an excited giggle as she walked to the sign in the door and flipped it from Closed to Open and dashed behing the counter. "Let the Grand Reopening begin!"

• 2 weeks later...

Today was one of the days that Octavia hated, well not hated just extremely disliked. Today was her day off from work and her Contrabass was in shop for tuning and repair not to mention that she'll have to tune it once more just so it will be perfect. She never understood why she let those ponies at the shop tune her instrument for her when she just does it herself anyway, but it didn't matter it made the shop owners happy to do this for her so she let them and shouldn't complain about it.

The grey earth pony was trotting down her usual street when she noticed a building that seemed to be made out of gingerbread it was decorated in all sorts of candies and looked rather scrumptious despite the fact that she never really indulged in the sugary sweets. She stood in front of the building enjoying the smells that came from the building, she stood there for a few minutes with her eyes closed trying to identify the smells until a rather rude stallion pushed her into the building. "Ruffians! Always have to be so barbaric" she said crossly for a moment before she noticed an excited pony bouncing about the store "I . . . . um, Hello there my good lady is this your store?" Octavia was never good at starting a conversation, but it was better than her just standing in the middle of the room smelling everything in sight.

Sweet Surprise bounced around the store making sure things were neat and orderly when she suddenly stopped and saw a mare who seemed to apprear out of nowhere. Of course she appeared from somewhere, and being a unicorn she couldn't teleport so obviously she must have entered in unnoticed.

"Oh hello there," Sweet Surprise said as she took hold of Octavia's hoof and began to rapidly shake it, "Welcome to Mr. Cocoa's Candy Creations. My name's Sweet Surprise. I do shake you warmly by the hoof and welcome you here. I don't actually own the store, but I do work here. Oh, and I have something for you!"

With that Sweet Surprise let go and ducked back behind the counter until she reappeared holding a tray of fudge squares. "Today I'm giving out free fudge. They're so soft and yummy and make you feel good in your tummy! So, wanna try one?"

The excited bouncing filly took Octavia by surprise in her profession she's hasn't met many ponies with such high spirits and hyper energy, except for that one pink pony she met at the gala. The thought of her sent a shiver down her spine at how disastrous the event was, the mare was quickly brought back to reality as the little filly vigorously shook her hoof with a large grin on her muzzle.

It took a moment for Octavia to regain her posture, once the Sweet Surprised stopped shaking her hoof the momentum made it continue going for a few moments before she was able to set it back down on the ground. "It's a pleasure to meet you Sweet Surprise, my name is Octavia and I must be quite honest with you I've never really had many sweets so I'd be more than happy to taste a few samples. Especially this. . . fudge you speak of" she gave a polite nod and a cheery smile as she waited for the sugar filled sweets.

"Hiya Octavia," Sweet said pleasantly to her. She was at first a bit surprised at the fact that Octavia didn't have many sweets, but then again few ponies had that many sweets compared to Sweet Surprise. "Don't worry. I'll turn you into a candy consuming conisouier. But first, what type of fudge do you want to try? There's peanutbutter, milk chocolare, and my favorite dark chocolate."

Octavia put a hoof to her chin as she thought about her choices, she wasn't a fan of peanut butter, but the milk chocolate and Dark Chocolate did sound rather scrumptious so she decided on those. "Well my young filly I would love to try the dark chocolate and the milk chocolate if you would be so kind" she trotted over to a glass which held all sorts of assortments of sweets. All of it looked rather delicious and Octavia was tempted to try them all the mare licked her lips at the thought "Actually Miss Sweet Surprise I'd like to taste one of everything"

Such was the candy conundrum, deciding what to choose first. Sweet Surprise knew about it. The more choices, the longer it took for a pony to decide unless they already had something spesific in mind.

Finally Octavia settled not just on one piece of fudge, but all types. "Wow! A flavor of every fudge. That's a good choice. I think the best way to try something new is to try all of it. Otherwise if you don't try it, you never know, you know?"

With that she took out of the case three different types of fudge. "Now before eating this, there is an official way to eat fudge. I just thought of it today, but I'm trying to make it popular throughout Canterlot. Hopefully I can tell Princess Celestia or Princess Luna about it one day. Anyway I must say this procedure in traditional Canterlot voice, so here it goes."

With that she cleared her throat and began:

"Place thy fabulous fudge square into thy mouth. Then upon holding the fudge in thy mouth, counteth to three. Not four. Five is completely out. Two is also out unless counting to three. Then you may digest the remnant of thy fudge."

Sweet then switched to her non-Canterlot voice tone. "So there you go. Enjoy!"