The Treasure of the Gor Zaya (Parhelion and Royal Dice)

Trilobite

This high above the city, there was almost no sound. The sighing of the thin air past his ears as he spiraled to keep altitude. The gentle rustle of wind in his feathers. The delicate tinkling of ice crystals forming in his mane and tail and falling away, to be borne aloft on the same winds he rode. Parhelion closed his eyes, as he often did, savoring the quiet and the easy exhilaration. He banked instinctually, catching a rising wind, and as it moved him almost straight up he heard the steady rhythm of his heart and the surrussation of blood in his ears. He smiled, opening his eyes again.

Stalliongrad lay below, covered in snow and ice whose whites were taking on magnificient golds and reds and deep blues as the sun began to set. The city hugged a bend in the River Stadia, spreading out from a long island there which was its heart and original home. Smoke, like streamers of thin cotton, raked across the city from its numerous industries. Airships, which looked like crawling dots from here but which were in reality majestic giants of the air, moved to and fro, docking at their destinations to drop off supplies or heading out to carry fine Stalliongrad goods to the rest of Equestria and beyond.

The foothills and mountains to the south, which helped shape the very winds Parhelion was riding now, seemed undeveloped, a stretch of deep green and white broken by proud mountains and crags of snow-covered rocks, but Parhelion knew the city's wealthy and visitors from faraway were there now, enjoying winter sports and the sights from their highland estates. Here and there he could see irregular patches where timber was harvested, and other areas where the forest had been replanted and was growing back.

A flash of light from the city caught his attention. It winked up at him, once, then twice, then once again. Shift change. The grey pegasus waggled his broad wings to the show the observers below he had received the signal. He felt a stiffness in his left wing, and gave it a quick peek. There was a pine bough caught in it. What? He flicked his wing, but the thing would not come free. In fact, it was more than one pine bough. Several, a whole branch. Suddenly they were everywhere, all around him, hemming him in—

Parhelion came to. He was surrounded by the scent of pines. Sticky sap plastered his mane, coat, and feathers. There were needles everywhere. He could just see the moonlit ground...far above? With a sudden lurch he realized he was upside-down, stuck in a tree. His head hurt, and he groaned. Cold night wind rocked the tree, causing his stomach to flip-flop.

“Help? Hello?” Par coughed, and pine needles drifted away. They were in his mouth, gross! He spit them out as best he could and tried again. “Hello? Help!”

He took a deep breath and shouted as loudly as he could. “Hello! Help!”

''How.. do i.. hold.. this map..'' the annoyed looking earth pony mumbled. He was struggling quite a bit trying to found the route described on the map. He had turned the map onto each side, but just couldn't find the direction. The map itself looked old, wrinkled and had some tears and scratched on it. It was still readable - though it all looking like complete gibberish - so Dice still tried find the way onwards to the 'treasure'. Never buy things from strangers, said his adoptive mother, but what did she know? He was going to find a treasure, from a map he bought from a stranger! Hah!

He sat down at the campfire he had made and grumbled, putting the map next to him. The crisping of the campfire and the faint noise of somepony calling out to him he slowly began think- wait.. somepony was calling out to us? He looked around, and shook his head. ''Hello?'' he yelled back at the voice, frowning and trying his best to look at wherever the voice was coming from.

''Hello?''

The voice was faint, and it sounded like it was coming from down the hill, a fair distance away. How did he know there was hill here? And why was he thinking of campfires? His head throbbed miserably.

"Hello! Hello! I'm...stuck in a tree!"

Briliant, he thought. But what else could one say?

"Can you help me?"

The curious colt trotted over towards the voice, and grabbing his shovel to make sure not to be caught off-guard. ''Fine.. i'll.. help ya'...'' he called out, unsure if it were a trap or not. Usually, it was a trap, and it wouldn't be the first one either! He had many encounters with other treasure hunters who robbed him off his map and valueables. Pfuh.. they were worse than he was! The map, usually being a fake, almost always led them nowhere, but it was still a loss. A loss of bits that is! ''If this is a trap.. i swear to Celestia..'' the yellow earth pony growled, as he trotted further towards the voice.

As he arrived at the exact place of the yelling, he looked around. Several pine needles where covering the ground, and the ground was.. a bit ..sticky. He looked up to meet face-to-face with a pegasus, that had appearantly gotten stuck in one of the trees. ''I hope for your sake that you were the one callin' out to me..'' he asks, tipping his head backwards as he steps forwards, his hoof getting covered in sap and some needles.

• 4 weeks later...

The colt laughed, and shook his head. ''Help you down? Hah! First, what in the hay are you doin' in that tree, anyhow..'' he rose his eyebrow, and slowly laughed again, looking down at the ground. ''It seems you've made quite the mess aswell!'' he slowly stopped his laughing, and kicked some of the needles away.

A sudden thought came to mind, and he glared back up. Was this ..pony.. hunting for the same treasure as he was? He grunted silently. ''By the way.. what is your business here, in this forest? You seem far from home!'' he asked.

"Well, yeah. I guess I am. Normally I'm a weatherpony for the Bueaura back in Stalliongrad. I had..." he groaned as his head swam. "I was looking for someone? I came to help. I...think I hit my head pretty bad, I guess I rattled my attic. I must have caught..." the image flashed before him. "Oh! There was a downdraft, and I bounced off a cliff. Overcorrected," he said sheepishly.