A bit of a dilemma

DashieInTheDark

Such an odd mixture of feelings here.

I LOVE this show, and it has made me a better person. Do I share it with my family? Or is that too much? My brother knows I downloaded the episodes. I TRIED as hard as I could not ot lie, but I told him that htey "made excellent Youtube poops" which, they do, but that isn't what I wanted to say. So I want to share the awesomeness of this show with everyone I know, but I'm afraid that I wouldn't get the message across to the mthat it IS amazing, because they only see "My little pony = Pink = girly and for 6 year olds." So I'm afraid EVEN IF I show them, that they won't even attempt or give it a chance to like it. I'd love to just wake up, and watch a new episode. Not download it at night, and watch it with 25% volume so nobody can hear it. It's getting old, and I feel like i'm hiding secrets. My family isn't exactly O.K with even the idea of the downloaded episodes. My brother immediately said to my mom: "I think you need to get your son checked out, I THINK he might be gay". Which, i'm not. I don't hate gays, but I want a wife and a family some day. So, even without seeing it, they won't give it a chance. They don't actually KNOW I watch it, but I think they might have a feeling that I do. I'd love to convert my family, and have us all watch a new episode together upon release. That would be great.

What do all of you think? Do I tell them, or SHOW them, keep it to myself, or do I just openly watch it and ignore them.

I'm sure this isn't a NEW topic, but I felt like posting, as I need some advice.

Help? :(

Personally, I needed time to digest the series, and to become confident in the show, and my own masculinity before I was comfortable sharing with anyone. And I didn't feel comfortable until I realized I could defend it if someone asked.

I cannot find it at the moment, be we had a discussion on why we liked it somewhere around here that increased my confidence. When you think you can make the case for it, tell the truth unapologetically. If after some soul searching you can't explain why you like it, you should probably stop.

It doesn't sound like your brother is being very fair to you with that gay comment. What if you were gay, would you need to be checked out? Stand up for yourself. If your brother carries that attitude about homosexuals into adulthood, he's going to be in for a very big surprise.

You could tell your family that you enjoy watching it, and it's so good it has a huge male following that call themselves "bronies." You don't really need to elaborate or try to explain the series to them. They sound a bit conservative so "less is more" is probably how you want to approach it.

Regardless of how you decide to share your like of FIM with them, don't let others dictate to you what you can or can't enjoy. It won't make you less of a person, strange, or different if someone in your life doesn't approve.

It doesn't sound like your brother is being very fair to you with that gay comment. What if you were gay, would you need to be checked out? Stand up for yourself. If your brother carries that attitude about homosexuals into adulthood, he's going to be in for a very big surprise.

You could tell your family that you enjoy watching it, and it's so good it has a huge male following that call themselves "bronies." You don't really need to elaborate or try to explain the series to them. They sound a bit conservative so "less is more" is probably how you want to approach it.

Regardless of how you decide to share your like of FIM with them, don't let others dictate to you what you can or can't enjoy. It won't make you less of a person, strange, or different if someone in your life doesn't approve.

Agreed to the tenth power.

I have the same problem that you are facing right now...I'm terrified to tell my family about the show, but you may be surprised what their reaction is.

My mom found a drawing I did of my OC and Bones cuddling, I thought she was gonna be all like "what is this? wow..." But she said she really liked it and it was SOOO cute. I then told her it was styled after the new my little pony show and she didnt even flinch. I feel a little bit more comfortable telling them about the show, but I still havn't worked up the courage to say anything.

I hope we can solve our problem some day...

I told my mom and even shared the first episode with her, and although she didn't seem as interested in it as i was, she just kinda shrugged and said it was a neat show, and that she liked Nightmare Moon. But my situation kinda took an interesting turn...

Apparently she was talking with a customer she was helping, two teens who were getting fabric for some sort of outfit. she asked what it was for and they told her it was suppose to be for a costume for some anime character. they seemed embaressed but she mentioned to them that it was okay, that her son (me =3) was into a show that she would've never expected me to like, and that it was pretty popular on the internet. he immediately said "My Little Pony?" and she was kinda shocked. apparently he saw some videos online incluidng a big video about how some people became bronies... which turned out to be a video I made! And she knew that! So it was kinda cool that she saw that other people knew what was going on with that.

I havent told my grandparents, whom i live with, but i feel less connected to them, so i dont bother... I think of it this way, if you feel like you have a connection with your parents, and that they might enjoy a cartoon, than tell them. but if they strictly dont like animated stuff, than dont bother... If they're the kind of people who dont at LEAST watch disney movies when they come out, than it's probably best to keep it to yourself... dont think of it as keeping it a secret from them, its just you dont think they'd share the interest with you so why waste their time?