[Dragon] Athkore [FINAL]

Firebolt

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria

Name: Athkore

Sex: Male

Species: Earth Dragon

post-1791-0-76990500-1327606839_thumb.jp

Eye Color: Golden Yellow

Coat Color: Jet Black with Neon Green tiger stripes.

Physique: Massive, powerful, and lean. Rough dimensions put his shoulder at 5ft, his head fully erect at 10ft, total length when stretched out at 18ft.

Origin/Residence: Anywhere he pleases. He prefers territory with lots of trees or other cover he can stalk through. Technically, he was born in a large clutch of eggs somewhere in the Outlands, but he really cannot recall the place, as he hatched alone in a rocky crag and just started heading East.

Occupation: While he really needs nothing, as he hunts or forages for his own food, he will take dangerous jobs that ponies cannot do for the thrill of the action, and he rarely accepts payment, for fear of his hoarding instinct rearing its head. Occasionally, for fun, he moonlights as a livestock thief, to the chagrin of whatever farmer he raids.

Motivation: Doing what he wishes, surviving day to day, enjoying himself

Likes: Freshly caught food, anything rich with spices, hunting, dangerous tasks, a relaxing swim

Dislikes: Being beaten in anything, he finds children obnoxious in their pursuits and often frightens them intentionally, restrictive authority

Character Summary:

History: After hatching, life became an instant struggle for survival. He actually did not learn to speak until much later in life, when he spent some time among travelling bachelor packs of other young dragons. As he was a fast learner, this was no problem for the resourceful creature. It was also around that time when he acquired his name. He had been staying in some ruins with a few compatriots, one of which claimed to be able to translate the writings contained therein. The female dragon had said that a small pendant he had found had only the word "Athkore" inscribed on it. He asked her what it meant, and she explained that it meant "Alone". Athkore decided then and there to call himself that, for he took it to mean independent and free, as opposed to lacking good companions. He worked his way East, following an ever-increasing abundance of food and water, growing slowly as he went. Along the way, he had many temporary companions, none of which he trusted enough to spend more than a week or so with. He became hardened and tough, braving all manner of weather and terrain, never backing down once from a challenge to his passage. He grew used to living by his own rules, and placing himself above those he encountered. After much travelling, he reached Equestria itself, and noting the abundance of food in the region, he decided to make it his home. Well, at least as much as anything had ever been home. Once he settled in, on occasion, he would approach ponies and interact with them, when they did not run away in terror. After some time passed, he began taking on dangerous or backbreaking work that was unsafe for anyone not of his age and race. At first he received payment in bits and baubles, but when he noticed his hoarding instincts coming to life, he stopped. He had noticed that older dragons hoarded and grew as they did, and he did not want to lose his sleek and swift body in exchane for a more massive, brawny one.

Parents: As far as he knows, his parents left him in a crag somewhere in the middle of the Outlands. However, he does remember that the ground was devastated around his egg, so it may very well be that his parents were confronted by another dragon and his egg was left by accident. As for companions, he has no permanent ones as yet, for he has only recently arrived in Equestria proper, and is imposing enough for most of the populace to avoid him.

Special Skills (In place of a cutie mark): Athkore is very athletic, even for a dragon. Full of energy, he keeps himself in top form by clambering on, dashing across, leaping over, and digging into anything he can. Because he was forced to feed and defend himself all his life, he has become an adept hunter and a talented forager. Not to mention his experience fending off things like Timber Wolves or even older dragons. He prides himself on his ability to dampen his stripes to black and stalk something silently despite his size. These learned skills have made him invaluable to those ponies willing to trust him enough to do their most dangerous work.

Flaws: As a forced loner, he is of course very mistrustful of anypony, and often callous and indifferent to the needs of others. Such things will happen when you spend a life alone and in the wild. He does not seem to get that his depredations on farm animals are really a bad thing, and assumes that anything he takes can simply be repaid by a good deed, even though he chalks the deed up to a later date and promptly forgets about it.

Recommended Listening: Loyal to No-one-Dropkick Murphys

Greetings,

Looking over your character my one main concern is his size. We limit sizes of playable dragons to prevent "powergaming" in the RP. The largest size we allow as a playable dragon is the teen sized dragon, as shown by this chart. Roughly they are around 8 feet or so in height, and 12-14 feet in length (from shout to end of tail). These aren't exactly number but we want to stay within range of them.

The only other suggestion I have is in regards to his faults. I would talk more about the fear of greed consuming him and the temptation to accede to that greed, as well as perhaps suffering hardship because he wouldn't take good jobs due to this worry (such as occasional lack of food, provisions, and shelter).

I was afraid of size as well, because I checked the chart and the proportions are different in relation to body dimensions. I see my main problem was in gauging pony height incorrectly, in assuming Big Mac to be roughly five foot at the shoulder. The reason Athkore seems so massive is his longer neck and tail in comparison to the model you all gave, as opposed to actual bulk. The 12 feet also includes the spikes for the height(I'd say at least a foot), and I based the full length off of a proportional analysis of quadrupeds (namely dinosaurs, after all, this will be part of my job). with allowances for a serpentine physique. Mainly, while his body mass is the same as the stockier teen dragon model, his body will be longer and lankier (as shown in his picture) as a result. What I lost in bulk creating him I replaced with length. Consider him like the leopard or cheetah of dragons, as opposed to the Siberian Tiger or Lion. I even based his physical strengths off of those two cats (minus the digging, that's more of his reptile prowess showing through). With this explanation, is he acceptable in this regard?

In regards to your suggestions, the entire point of his character (and I'm noticing, a trend in all of mine) is that he's used to dealing with bad situations resource wise, and feels better fending for himself. Going hungry would not be a frightening or unfamiliar concept to any predator. The only fear of greed he really has (due to his total lack of serious upbringing, I would imagine) is of losing his "edge", his lean body he has worked hard to cultivate. I do thank you for your help though.

The proportions of his body to each other is fine; what I would request is making him a little smaller overall, also I would classify him as a "teen", as that is the stage between adolescent and early adulthood.