AMAGASH XANATOS GAMBIT

Just for discussion, do you think Princess Celestia already knew about which ponies embodied the spirits of harmony? After all, she didn't have much control of the situation as it was happening, which leads me to believe that she had already planned out who Twilight was supposed to meet. This, of course, is thrown off by the fact that Pinkie Pie had no specific job in the ceremony, meaning that Celestia had to have somehow premeditated that meeting, or had already known that the instance of meeting Pinkie Pie would happen because of her personality. That or the plot resolution was created entirely by chance and Celestia isn't as in control as they'd like us to think.

REVEL IN THE OVERANALYSIS AND LET YOUR BRAIN HURT

Already pretty much overanalyzed to death by TVTropes. Basically the conclusion they came to is that it was more of a Batman gambit. The difference can be pretty subtle though.

Anyway, yeah, it makes quite a bit of sense.

Oh, really? Man, I haven't even been on the MLP:FiM page yet on that site. So much for that :(

And I tend to group all of those under the "Xanatos Gambit" term regardless of alignment or plan.