Technology Level/Inventions in Equestria

Alar

Hey everyone! This is just one of the ideas I'm currently mulling around for one of my potential RP characters, but I was thinking of making a handy-man type character who also tinkers around with inventions and machines in his freetime. I am, however, curious as to how far this can go. Obviously coming up with new, groundbreaking inventions that change the way all Ponykind lives is likely out of the question, but what could be done? It seems like Equestrian technology is above that of the Middle Ages with things like ovens, recorded/playable music, and I could swear I've seen a refridgerator out there at some point. However, there are no electric lines dangling about and I don't remember seeing any wires or plugs. So...

What sort of technology would be acceptable? Are electric-based items fine? Or would they run off of magic-based lightning? How far can this sort of thing go before being considered crazy?

And if anyone else has already come up with this sort of character, please chime in and let me know what you've done.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget sewing machines! They have those too. ;D