[Ponyville - Carousel Boutique] A Dressmaker's Calling [FOLLOW-UP PHASE]

RarityDash

Blueblood steeled himself as the flying chariot flew away from the spires of Canterlot. Timne to face the cake-flinging harridan again. The things he did to maintain his status as the most elegant bachelor and more handsome noble in all of Canterlot. Still, it was necessary, even subjecting himself to the rigours of an open flying chariot rather than a more leisurely and infnitely more comfortable airship or ground bound coach. The chariot did have one thing to recommend it, speed (Travelling by train, like some common pony wasn't even worth considering.

Still, maybe it wouldn't be a total loss. His further enquiries had confirmed that whatever her ofther failing were, this Rarity was most definitely a fashion designer of some renown. If she were truly as capable as her reputation, he could expect a suitably suitable suit.

And there was her delightful assistant. So eager to please, and to learn. He had even brought a book with him, 'Dressage and Etiquette', the copy he'd used when he was a colt, and heavily annotated wuith his own observations. Her biggest problem seemed to be clumsiness, probably due to growth spurts. Even he'd been somewhat ham-hooved at that age, hard as it was to believe now. This not only provided excercises to help overcome that, but also tips on etiquette and the thousand and one things a young unicorn looking to make their way in polite society should know. While it might be far too late for her elder sister, the younger one could possibly be saved.

Rarity had served a lot of customers in her days. She had seen a lot of reactions to the unveiling of an order. She had seen the biggest expressions of amazement and gratitude and she had also dealt with the displeasure of numerous hard to please customers. She had seen it all, and she could tell immediately that something was off with Valen Orange. The reaction wasn't quite right. It just wasn't what she had anticipated.

[colour=#0033CC]"Wow! It looks...amazing, Miss Rarity. You have certainly lived up to your billing!"[/colour]

If Valen was displeased, he was good at hiding it. His smile seemed genuine enough and his words had vigor, but Rarity had expected somehow more. She could recall vividly the glee in Valen's eyes as he studied her dresses the day they had first met. It was just sharper, more intense. Something in how he was acting now felt restrained.

[colour=#0033CC]"This is stellar work! Where did you get the material for it?"[/colour]

[colour=#663399]"Well, it's the same honey gold satin I showed you the other day. I can't know for sure as it wasn't my design, but I'd be willing to wager it's the same material that Sapphire Shores was wearing on the red carpet,"[/colour] she said, with a nod. [colour=#663399]"As for where, I bought it from a fabric supplier in Canterlot. Not an inexpensive fabric by any means, but it's more than worth it."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Oh, it's *gorgeous*, you'll look *beautiful* in it! So elegant! [/colour][colour=#800080]Very, very handsome, that is! [/colour][colour=#800080]I wouldn't mind wearing that, myself, it's so lovely! [/colour][colour=#800080]It will go *so* well with your coat and mane! Do you have a special fancy party you're going to?"[/colour]

Sweetie spoke at high speed. Her enthusiasm was adorable, and made Rarity proud of her work. If Valen's excitement was maybe a little lacking, the young filly's almost made up for it. Of course, she wasn't the customer. It wasn't quite as vital to please her. it was her job to please Valen, not the other foal who happened to be present.

Maybe that was it though? Maybe Valen was acting more restrained because Sweetie was here? The first time he was here it had just been him and Rarity. It was pretty common that ponies acted differently among their peers. Perhaps having a pony his own age around was forcing him to contain himself more? Maybe he was smitten with her and trying to keep cool to impress her? Rarity smiled at the through. Oh, to be young...

[colour=#800080]"Would you like to try it on?"[/colour]

Rarity nodded at Sweetie's question and turned to Valen. [colour=#663399]"Yes. You're more than welcome to try it on, darling," [/colour]she said with a smile. [colour=#663399]"It's important to see how it will look on you, after all." [/colour]

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Sweetie Belle was like a cannonball of pure, unadulterated energy, a sugar rush without the crash that followed. It was unnerving, partially unsettling, to be the recipient of such...delightful fervor. Valen was intimidated, but why? The way her eyes begged him for action, her voice squeaking with such immense excitement and drive that he was compelled. And what was this about some sort of fancy party he was supposedly asking her out to? Was he being asked out on a date? The thought puzzled him and some fragment of his reeling psyche told him she must have gotten her ponies mixed up or that he had walked into some alternate reality. Either way, he had to admit she was adorable and seemed nice enough. Besides, it wasn't like it'd be anything too serious. A nice filly taking him out to a party- which is how he'd view it- couldn't be a bad thing. Plus she leaned in close and something about the experience stole his breath and, in some ways, his intelligence. Mathematics would become fancy at this rate.

Then there was Miss Rarity. He had some rather good communication skills and tell that to some degree, she wasn't buying what he was selling. That somewhat even tone after her previous excitement told the story well enough. She would have caught on eventually. Whatever flaw she had that marked her creative soul, it was not stupidity or social naivety. And how could it be, with a mare so well refined and cultured? No, she knew he was unhappy. But she bought into Sweetie Belle's idea well enough which meant he still had a shot and not having her effort appear to be wasted. He didn't want to appear ungrateful or unkind, even if under the circumstances one could argue he had a degree of reason to be. This was his fault for being so unclear. Not hers. And Sweet Celestia, Sweetie Belle was still close.

Oh, Tartarus, just try it on!

[colour=#0033cc]"Splendid idea!"[/colour] He said to Sweetie Belle and nodded to Rarity, somewhat tripping over himself as he left the duo and leapt into the dressing room, suit haphazardly in hoof. It didn't take long to slip it on, experiences in a dozen and five formal occasions playing out well. The fabric was true to form, soft and slightly silky without the absurdity that often came with silk suits. It was as good a suit as he could have asked for if he had asked for a suit. He hadn't asked for a suit. Valen took a few moments to allow himself to calm down, freeing himself from Sweetie Belle's mental chokehold.

What was he going to say? A large part of him had a great desire to just tell them it was all great. But that would be rude. And a lie. And what formal party was Sweetie Belle even talking about? What was he doing? He had done one thing and already it was a dumb thing. Not a good start. He could at least try to rectify a moral error.

[colour=#0033cc]"It's..."[/colour] He began to say, eyes on the ground behind the door. Then the words got stuck. He didn't want to see the look on Miss Rarity's face after her expensive and hard work had been sullied by an odd colt, and he surely didn't want that bundle of energy to turn against him in some way. Yep, cowardice was the smart decision. And Valen was a smart pony. At least that's what he told himself.

[colour=#0033cc]"...Wonderful! It's, uhh, totally what I asked for and everything!"[/colour]

A very smart pony.

• Like 1

[colour=#0033CC]"Splendid idea!"[/colour]

Valen declared this as he took the suit to the dressing room. Rarity gave a nod. Something still felt odd here, but she couldn't quite place it. Was he less than satisfied? if that was the case, why wouldn't he just say as much. It was her job to work to his tastes and please him, not the other way around. If he didn't like the design, he shouldn't hesitate to say as much. This wasn't exactly a situation that demanded politeness over assertion. He was a child, she supposed, but normally this meant a stronger tendency to be blunt as opposed to a weaker one. Was Sweetie's presence really the problem here.

[colour=#0033CC]"It's[/colour][colour=#0033CC]...Wonderful! It's, uhh, totally what I asked for and everything!"[/colour]

The colt emerged with these words and if it hadn't been clear he wasn't pleased before, now it was painfully obvious. Rarity frowned and gave a discerning nod. [colour=#663399]"It looks just fabulous on you, my dear,"[/colour] she said, forcing a smile. Her words were true. The suit suited the colt as wonderfully as she had imagined designing it. It looked just perfect on him. The shape, the colour, the fit, it was just exceptional. It was however ruined by the painful sense that something was simply wrong.

[colour=#663399]"Now, Sweetie, dear. I think I heard the bell a moment ago. Why don't you check and see if we have any new customers while I work out payment with Valen darling here?" [/colour]she suggested looking toward her sister.

She then moved toward Valen and pulled him a couple steps away. Quietly, directly into his ear, she whispered, [colour=#663399]"If there's anything you're unhappy with, please just tell me..."[/colour]

Sweetie Belle's eyes shined as Valen came out, her big, eager smile on her face.[colour=#800080] "Oh, wow, you look magnificent in it!"[/colour] she squeaked happily, her voice cracking on the words. She waited, a few long moments, hoping this was the time ... but he didn't seem to want to say anything to her yet. Well, he was supposed to be shy, right? Maybe he was still working up the courage, or needed a prompt ...[colour=#800080] "Were you ... going to ask me to a fancy dress party or something?"[/colour] she quietly and subtly suggested, hoping Rarity didn't hear her ...

But before Valen could respond, Rarity was talking about a bell. What bell? But she had responsibilities! [colour=#800080]"Sorry!"[/colour] she said to Valen, [colour=#800080]"But you look soooo handsome!" [/colour] She trotted away quickly, to go open up the front door and peek outside ...

ValenOrange1withtext.png

[colour=#0033cc]"Uhh, yes. Yes, I am asking you out to a fancy dress party. Sweetie Belle, do you want to go to a fancy dress party with me?" [/colour]Valen was so flustered and confused yet oddly taken in by her enthusiasm that he had little power to resist. He didn't know what party he was supposed to ask her out on, but she seemed sure and he was flustered. Valen never claimed to have been a particularly strong-willed pony and Sweetie Belle was too cute to stop.

Valen should have known better than to try and pull a fast one over Rarity. To be fair it didn't feel very fast, more like a slowly expanding ball of flame that seared his pelt warmly and made him feel immediately flustered when Rarity drew close. He had never been a good actor, though he had always lied to himself and thought that perhaps it was just because the Academy was a source of creative talent. He didn't like lying, but now that he realized that his words had been so misinterpreted earlier he also realized that she didn't know what he thought didn't need to be said.

Valen quickly looked over Rarity's shoulder. When he was sure Sweetie Belle wasn't within ear shot, he let his shoulders sag. He tried to match her eyes, but he had a hard time meeting them. How to say it? he felt like such a foal. A foal who allowed his momentary lapse to turn into a financial wormhole for a kind and creative mare, and whose desires were so off the beaten path that to make her move to the beat of his drum felt wrong. It was weird. He was weird. It was scary. He was scared. He had thought that by tiptoing around the wording and easing his way around the words themselves that he could get ponies to accept it easier. No. He had been wrong and so very stupid. Ponies like him were strange and unusual. He was strange an unusual. How arrogant was he to think that he could relay his strangeness, his oddity, the flavor of a trouble ridden pony.

He rubbed his left shoulder, eyes scanning the ground.

[colour=#0033cc]"I-I..."[/colour] he shook his head and sighed.

[colour=#0033cc]"It's really, really hard to say to somepony...directly. My parents just found out one day, friends- they just found out one day...Celestia, this shouldn't be that hard. It isn't fair!" [/colour]He gave a pained sigh as he looked at Rarity, biting his lower lip.

[colour=#0033cc]"This suit is marvelous, Miss Rarity. It is. That is what makes this so hard. If you had done a poor job I could make up some excuse or tell you and not feel bad, but I do. I feel really bad. And...I'm just rambling, aren't I?"[/colour] He sent a hoof to his face. Somehow, eyes closed into his hoof, it was easier to make the reveal.

[colour=#0033cc]"I'm a crossdresser, Miss Rarity,"[/colour] The hoof came off and he looked at her with slightly worried eyes, [colour=#0033cc]"I wanted a dress like the one Sapphire Shores wore,"[/colour] Now that the reveal was over with, he felt himself backpedaling. He didb't want to lose her respect like he had others.

[colour=#0033cc]"But I don't expect a designer of your greatness to sully your reputation with such a silly and outlandish request. This suit is very, very nice. How much do I owe you? I'm sure it will look great at the formal events I attend,"[/colour] He positioned it like a public relations boon for the boutique, trying to change the topic quickly from his weirdness.

[colour=#0033CC]"Uhh, yes. Yes, I am asking you out to a fancy dress party. Sweetie Belle, do you want to go to a fancy dress party with me?"[/colour]

Rarity giggled at this rather unexpected development. How adorable. Love at that age was such a sweet, warm thing. Valen really was the perfect sort for Sweetie too: polite, intelligent and kind, not to mention fashionable. She nodded and smiled as Sweetie went off to see to the door and Rarity went about whispering in the colt's ear.

[colour=#0033CC]"I-I...[/colour][colour=#0033CC]It's really, really hard to say to somepony...directly. My parents just found out one day, friends- they just found out one day...Celestia, this shouldn't be that hard. It isn't fair!" [/colour]

The reply came suddenly, but held a distinct heaviness to it. Rarity frowned, concerned where this was going. What could be eating at this wonderful youth like this? What could be so unfair? What could prompt this stress from this sweet child?

[colour=#0033CC]"This suit is marvelous, Miss Rarity. It is. That is what makes this so hard. If you had done a poor job I could make up some excuse or tell you and not feel bad, but I do. I feel really bad. And...I'm just rambling, aren't I?"[/colour]

Valen was indeed rambling, but that just built the tension for Rarity. She could feel the colt's anxiety and it was transferring directly to her. She didn't know what he was going to say, but she could feel how he feared saying it. He feared judgment. He feared letting something known.

[colour=#0033CC]"I'm a crossdresser, Miss Rarity; [/colour][colour=#0033CC]I wanted a dress like the one Sapphire Shores wore."[/colour]

Rarity's eyes widened for a moment as the pronouncement finally came. Her expression leveled quickly as she looked backward. Their first encounter replayed in her mind. Neither of them had used the word suit when discussing the order, but neither had used the word dress either. Rarity had stressed at one point about "making an outfit for a colt" however while Valen had only said he wanted "something like what Sapphire Shores wore".

Though even if Valen and her had been slightly clearer with their disparate intents, Rarity still might have found herself here. This wasn't a common thing. There was nothing wrong with it as far as she was concerned. It just wasn't common. It wasn't expected. It took her off guard. It would take most off guard. A slight smile appeared on Rarity's face. Now that she did know, however, she wasn't here to judge as much as she was to understand and, moreover, please.

[colour=#0033CC]"But I don't expect a designer of your greatness to sully your reputation with such a silly and outlandish request. This suit is very, very nice. How much do I owe you? I'm sure it will look great at the formal events I attend,"[/colour]

Rarity shook her head. This colt still didn't get what she did. Carousel Boutique was about the customer. She sighed and flashed a smile. [colour=#663399]"The suit comes to forty bits,"[/colour] she said with a serious nod.

After a pause of a few seconds, she added, [colour=#663399]"Please do come back tonight, however. I just may have something else for you..."[/colour] she said warmly, smiling sweetly at the colt. [colour=#663399]"A personal gift to make up for this silly little misunderstanding."[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...
Sweetie Belle blinked ... she hadn't heard anypony at the door! But she nodded and headed up front, her knees lifting up high in an eager prance. Her mind just wasn't on the job, though - she'd gotten asked out on a date! *EEEE!* She pranced merrily, her eyes closed, picturing what it'd be like.

He had that gold suit, so gorgeous, and she had ... ohhhh, what would go with it? And with her coat? A silver dress! Yes, she'd have to ask Rarity for a silver dress! He'd come by, and she'd meet him at the door, and he'd give her roses ... no, just one rose. And she'd blush and take it, and he'd say something sweet, and then -

She pranced merily face-first into the doorframe, and staggered backwards, blinking dazedly, little whorls and sparkles shining in front of her eyes. She staggered sideways ... her little legs crossing and stumbling in a complicated little chaotic dance.

[colour=#800080]"Oh, of course, Miss Noodle! Right this way! I'm sure a pancake would make a great hat!"[/colour]

( go ahead and go back and forth a bit more - It'll take Sweetie a few moments to shake it off! )

ValenOrange1withtext.png

That could have gone much worse. It often did, with at least a few seconds of hard laughing and some rather loud exclamations. This time however things had went rather well, or at least he thought so. She had a few small reactions but whether that was because it wasn't a big deal to her or because she didn't want to make a scene with Sweetie Belle not far off was something Valen could not ascertain. Regardless, he would take this over mild hysterics. The price of forty bits, which was coupled with a serious nod, seemed a bit of a steal. Valen returned the nod quickly, almost nervously, and opened his bit purse to take out forty bits plus a tip when her warm whisper struck him.

What surprise did she have? It was nice to feel as though any sort of awkward barrier had been breached and she was already looking past it. Wonderfully comforting. In fact, he felt a load absolutely rocket off of his shoulders. He sighed, finally relaxed, and continued searching for his bits.

[colour=#0033cc]"Well, I can't wait to see what surprise you have in store. You're one of the best designers in Equestria, so I have full faith it will be worth the hype,"[/colour] He smiled, pulling out fifty-five bits in five clear ten bit holding bags and a smaller five bit holding bag.

[colour=#0033cc]"Here's fifteen extra bits. You did such a smashing job that I must tip you!" [/colour]He finished as Sweetie Belle smacked herself into the doorframe and wobbled about. That brought to mind the other event of the hour and more worryingly the one that was he woefully clueless about: What the heck was happening with her. Or what he had asked her to do.

[colour=#0033cc]"And...I don't want to sound odd, Miss Rarity..." [/colour]Valen said, leaning in as his eyes went from the mind-rended Belle to Rarity and repeated, [colour=#0033cc]"but what am I to do with Sweetie Belle?"[/colour] He asked, still oblivious that the mare had her perception of the faulty situation. Valen, in his excited daze to try on his dress and then reeling from having to hide the cause of his nascent disappointment, had agreed to take Sweetie to some sort of formal engagement. Only issue is that he was not aware of any formal engagement. He also had no clue why Sweetie had been so insistent, which had been the real cause of his proposal. Valen was a well-schooled foal with sizeable knowledge in many fields, but understanding fillies was not a subject he was well versed in.

[colour=#800080]"Oh, of course, Miss Noodle! Right this way! I'm sure a pancake would make a great hat!"[/colour]

That, for example, seemed awfully logical.

[colour=#0033CC]"Well, I can't wait to see what surprise you have in store. You're one of the best designers in Equestria, so I have full faith it will be worth the hype. [/colour][colour=#0033CC]Here's fifteen extra bits. You did such a smashing job that I must tip you!"[/colour]

[colour=#663399]"Flattery and a tip... already quite the gentlecolt you are, Valen,"[/colour] Rarity said with a laugh. [colour=#663399]"How very charming."[/colour]

Rarity wasn't one who typically expected tips on top of what she charged for an order. She did most of her work to order, and was very proud of how she kept her prices relatively low and affordable. In most cases she would outright refuse a request to pay her more for a dress; it just wasn't needed and it wasn't about that. In this case she just smiled and took the colt's money. She already had plans after all involving this colt and a mentioned surprise. Not taking what he offered here would make it awful hard for her to later insist that that come as an entirely free gift.

[colour=#0033CC]"And...I don't want to sound odd, Miss Rarity... [/colour][colour=#0033CC]but what am I to do with Sweetie Belle?"[/colour]

Rarity chuckled at the question. [colour=#663399]"Now that, darling is entirely up to you!" [/colour]she chimed with a smirk.

[colour=#663399]"Feel free to indulge her. I'm sure you'd be cute together," [/colour]she added with a giggle. [colour=#663399]"That little sister of mine truly is a sweet, bright--"[/colour]

Rarity laughed as she sudden nonsensical outburst interrupted her. [colour=#663399]"Well, at the very least she's never a bore to be around,"[/colour] she said with a sigh.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen sighed contentedly. There was little else he could so, as Miss Rarity had seemingly leapt ahead of him several steps. Stages, perhaps. he wasn't even really sure who Sweetie Belle was aside from a member of the Cutie Mark Crusaders and a dear friend of his cousin. How could you indulge somepony who you didn't know, at an event that didn't exist, at a time that was swiftly approaching, when you were on a farm? Unless her indulgences included chasing and being assaulted by chickens and discussing fermentation with Big Mac, he didn't see what he could do. Still, he had agreed(even if foolishly) to this and Valen was not a colt that liked to be the cause of somepony's sadness. This was made especially important when it was a cute filly, because in his experience he didn't really have a chance at even speaking with many. They had their options and Valen was a weird, awkward little colt with weird, awkward colt ways.

Of course, Rarity seemed to think there was something more there, which was something Valen briefly ventured to discover. There was nothing found. True, he didn't think he could say no to her, but he was more willing to chalk that up to Sweetie Belle's neigh unstoppably bubbly, upbeat attitude. He didn't doubt for the briefest moment that she held the same power over a whole range of colts(and fillies) that she knew. He, likewise, was simply a colt that couldn't stand to be the epicenter of another pony's crushing disappointment. So he'd find a fancy party and take Sweetie Belle to it, though the how was simply a matter he'd have to develop on the fly.

[colour=#0033cc]"Well, I guess that's just what I'll have to do,"[/colour] Valen said lowly as he kept his eyes glued on Sweetie Belle, [colour=#0033cc]"though I'm at a loss as to what that even means," [/colour]he kept with his low tone, nodding with some determination which masked a growing sense of confusion and anxiety. He had to develop something; he had to talk to others to plan it. Probably Applejack, she'd have to be brought into the fold. And Rarity, as he felt a sense of closeness with her that he had yet to find elsewhere.

[colour=#0033cc]"Miss Rarity, when I come back later today, I may need to pull you away from the Boutique to help me plan, so please make sure you're ready for me when you call upon me. I have plans to put into motion and- well, I need to come up with those plans first..."[/colour] he said, hoof to chin, nodding deep in thought. He bowed.

[colour=#0033cc]"Thank you, Miss Rarity. I'll make sure to see you later,"[/colour] He said as he trotted towards the door, slowly trying to ease past Sweetie Belle.

[colour=#0033CC]"Well, I guess that's just what I'll have to do, [/colour][colour=#0033CC]though I'm at a loss as to what that even means,"[/colour]

Rarity just giggled contentedly at the comment. Valen really was sweet. She felt mildly sorry for him though. She wondered if he even quite knew what he was getting himself into when it came to Sweetie. Maybe it would be easier since he was still young, but that filly really could be a handful. Either way, she was quite curious to see what might happen for the two.

[colour=#0033CC]"Miss Rarity, when I come back later today, I may need to pull you away from the Boutique to help me plan, so please make sure you're ready for me when you call upon me. I have plans to put into motion and- well, I need to come up with those plans first... [/colour][colour=#0033CC]Thank you, Miss Rarity. I'll make sure to see you later,"[/colour]

The unicorn raised an eyebrow. Oh? He wanted to confide in her? She smiled. It was good to find trust, especially in such a bright young foal.[colour=#663399] "That would be quite fine, Valen dear. In fact, I'll look forward to it!"[/colour] she said cheerfully.

[colour=#663399]"See you tonight!"[/colour] she called after him as he moved back toward Sweetie and the exit.

There had been a tail-wind all the way from Canterlot, so Prince Blueblood's chariot had arrived here early. Said tailwind had also affected his tail, and mane, turning it into a ralative rats nest. As they came in for a landing, he conjoured up a mirror and gave both mane and tail a quick going over with a grooming spell. It would never do to look less than immaculate, especially when visiting someone like Rarity. He was not going to be shamed by being any less well turned out than her.

As he disembarked, and told the Royal Guards when to pick him up, he noticed a colt exit the confectionary shaped shop that was his destination. His appearance tugged at a memory, and Blueblood's encyclopedic knowledge of the great and good of Equestria quickly pulled it free, to some puzzlement. What was a member of the Orange family doing in this backwater? (other than getting some clothes, obviously). Manehatten society wasn't really noble, not from most of Canterlot society's point of view, but they had enough wealth and power to at least take note of. Valen, that was it.

Prince Blueblood gave himself one last look over, checked the 'Dressage and Ettiquette' book was securely in his designer saddlebag, and went to see if the dressmaker could actually live up to her press releases. He came in through the door and looked around, still slightly worried that stray cake might be incident..

Sweetie Belle shook her head a bit, freeing herself of the dizzy spell from running into the door frame, just in time to see Valen going. [colour=#800080] "Bye, Valen!"[/colour] she called sweetly, grinning broadly. Oh, this was going to be so exciting and so romantic! [colour=#800080] "I didn't see anyone at the door, Rari-"[/colour] She stopped her comment, though, as Prince Blueblood entered, and the little filly's breath caught. He was *so handsome!* [colour=#800080]"Oh! Nevermind!"[/colour]

She paused to take a deep breath, and briefly worked to remind herself of all the things he'd said to her yesterday. Slowly. Slowly is elegantly. She let herself move quite slowly to come up to the royal prince, perhaps too slowly, the little filly almost moving in slow motion as she approached with her head high, quivering with excitement. [colour=#800080]"Well, good morning, your majesty," [/colour]she said calmly. [colour=#800080]"Fashionably early, I see."[/colour] She paused, then said more conversationally, puzzling over it out loud. [colour=#800080]"Can you be fashionably early? I mean, I know you can be fashionably late ... I guess you can really do *anything* fashionably, especially when you're a prince!"[/colour]

She smiled brightly up to him. [colour=#800080]"Did you want any tea or cider today, your majesty? Or anything else that I can get for you?"[/colour]

Ah, there was the delightful young filly who had made his last vist to this shop so much less wearing than he expected. She was obviously trying to move gracefully and carefully.

"I see you've taken my instructions to heart. However, the correct term is Highness for a Prince. Majesty is appropriate for a King or reigning head of state, so my Great Aunts would be called that on formal occasions. Still, I wouldn't expect someone so young to understand such niceties, especially..." He glanced around. "... when not raised in Canterlot."

At her fashionable comment, he gave a small smile. She had an absolute talent for finding the right things to say.

"A unicorn noble is fashionable in everything they do, or rather, if sufficiently noble they make something fashionable by the very act of doing it." He chuckled. "They also arrive precisely when they mean to, whether the rest of the world agrees is the world's problem."

"Some more of that excellent tea might not go amiss, and I might even stretch to a biscuit." He sighed. "The last time I was in the presence of your sister and confectionary it did not end well."

He added something before she turned away. "Oh, and on the matter of learning those niceties, I have something that may help."

He levitated the book from his saddle-bag and brought it in front of her. "The copy I used when I was just a colt. Everything any-pony who is any-pony needs to know about etiquette and making their way in society."

Rarity watched as Prince Blueblood made his great arrival. She rolled her eyes at the site of him but then snickered mischievously as she recalled what she had in store for him. She then opted to watch a moment as Sweetie went to greet him. Sweetie seemed kind of taken with the Prince--if only she knew what a boor he was! She was young though, it probably was best to let her keep her illusions a little longer. Honestly though, Valen was more the sort of pony she should realistically be looking at. Still it was cute to see her usually rambunctious sister go out of her way to be polite and proper.

The prince was a bit of a surprise too. Sure there were a few lines that might be taken as underhanded to Rarity or to Ponyville, but he was far from the rude snob she had once observed, even giving Sweetie a book of his to look at. How curious. It still proved hardly enough to affect too great a change in perception in the unicorn. No, this jerk prince had ruined his chance to get in his good graces. She gave a sigh and stepped slowly ahead, finally ready to greet the stallion who had ruined her Gala.

[colour=#663399]"Good day, Prince," [/colour]she said with a curt nod. She looked over at the book in her sister's hooves. [colour=#663399]"Dressage and Etiquette? Curious... So I suppose this is where you picked up your winning manners?" [/colour]

[colour=#663399]"I wonder if reading such a dubious volume would truly be to my darling sister's benefit..." [/colour]Rarity started, looking up for a moment.

The unicorn shook her head quickly and then put on a cheerful face. [colour=#663399]"But that's hardly the matter! You're here today for the sake of fabulosity, I do believe," [/colour]Rarity said stiffly, giving a nod. [colour=#663399]"I trust you wish to see what I have so finely fashioned just for you,"[/colour] she added, trying not to laugh.

• 2 weeks later...
Sweetie Belle's eyes widened as she stared at the small book, a gift from her very own prince! Little hearts floated above her head as she took the book with her forehooves and hugged it to her chest, her eyes squeezing shut for a moment. her irises were little hearts when she looked back up to Prince Blueblood.

[colour=#800080]"Thank you, your Highness! Thank you so much! I'll treasure this always! I promise!"[/colour] She couldn't help but keep her flanks from giving an excited little wriggle, so eager was she to race off and start reading it right now, but she kept her place and simply, carefully, took the spine of the book in her mouth and turned her head to place it gently on her back, oh-so-carefully. She turned back to Prince Blueblood and bent a knee slightly. [colour=#800080] "Your Highness is too kind,"[/colour] she said, along with the tiny curtsey.

As Rarity and Prince Blueblood stepped away to view the beautiful garments Rarity had made for him, she followed after, her hooves floating a couple inches from the ground. She snagged a throw pillow from nearby and set it up on the ground, then forced herself back to the ground so she could prop up the book on the pillow, and sit down on the floor behind it to read.

Dressage and Etiquette? Prince Blueblood read books about dresses when he was a colt? Well, that ... explained a lot. Maybe princely colts did that. She opened up the book to a random page and started to read aloud.

[colour=#800080]"A craftspony's wares are a gift from them to the world, and gifts must always be well-received, for a gift is more than the material thing, it is also the thought and care that went into it."[/colour]

(OOC: As I'm sure you're aware, Dressage is effectively deportment training for horses. You may also have to revamp your post.)

Blueblood bridled inwardly at the mare's dig at his manners, and his gift. However, there was a way to turn the tables on her... " Very well, it is one of the standard works on the subject, though now rather rare, but as you are, I assume, in loco parentis to your sister, I can't in good conscience give her a book you don't approve of..."

His horn glowed as he started to remove the book, then he looked at the little filly, so pleased with his gift, and his resolve wavered. Dash it, he couldn't dissapoint her just to score points on her big sister, no matter how satisfying it might be. "Maybe we can compromise. Miss Sweetie Belle, you can keep the book for now, but I'm afraid you can't read it until your sister has read through it, and makes sure she approves. Besides, I'm sure she could profitably peruse the pages herself."

That last bit was the perfect touch. Now Rarity was the 'heavy' of the piece, and Blueblood the voice of reason. "Now, as you say, I am here to see the clothing designs you've prepared for me. I hope you have something suitable spectacular. The air-ship launch will be attended by the most important ponies in all of Equestria. I simply must look my absolute best. I'm having a deep coat brushing and hooficure especially for the occasion."

" Very well, it is one of the standard works on the subject, though now rather rare, but as you are, I assume, in loco parentis to your sister, I can't in good conscience give her a book you don't approve of... Maybe we can compromise. Miss Sweetie Belle, you can keep the book for now, but I'm afraid you can't read it until your sister has read through it, and makes sure she approves. Besides, I'm sure she could profitably peruse the pages herself."

Rarity frowned. So this boorish prince intended to exchange subversive blows? She truly wasn't so interested in playing his game, but that didn't mean she was going to give in either, especially if he was so set to paint Rarity negatively to Sweetie as it so seemed he did. She wouldn't let him get away with that. She gave a sigh and stepped ahead, shaking her head. [colour=#663399]"I would think that his highness the prince, with how regularly he has perused this book of etiquette, might be so well informed as to realize it is unmannerly to make baseless assumptions as to the lives of others,"[/colour] she said, saturating her voice with disappointment.

Giving a nod, she then continued, [colour=#663399]"I'll have you know that Sweetie doesn't live here at the Boutique; the matter of what is and isn't and isn't appropriate for her to read is the decision of our parents, not me. She's free to accept gifts from whoever she may please; it's hardly business of mine what manner of trumpery she chooses to indulge herself in."[/colour]

"Now, as you say, I am here to see the clothing designs you've prepared for me. I hope you have something suitable spectacular. The air-ship launch will be attended by the most important ponies in all of Equestria. I simply must look my absolute best. I'm having a deep coat brushing and hooficure especially for the occasion."

Rarity nodded as she saw fit to respond to the second set of lines uttered by the prince. [colour=#663399]"Of course! I can only imagine it is imperative that you keep that oh so charming and attractive image of yours. You wouldn't want anypony to discover the paucity of pleasing facets it so desperately attempts to compensate for,"[/colour] the mare started with a full smile. She was just being catty now, but she couldn't help herself. This snob prince really did bring out her worse.

[colour=#663399]"But you are indeed in luck! I just so happen to have full confidence that what I have made for you can enliven even the shallowest of veneer! Do follow me now. I'm sure you will be pleased,"[/colour] she said as she began to trot back toward the display room, waiting for the others to follow.

Sweetie Belle let out a soft "Oh!" She'd thought that it was behind the curtain in front! And here she was all settled down comfortably and everything! Rather than disrupt her new, precious book, and possibly lose her place, she instead just lifted up her plot and pushed herself along with her lil' hind legs, her crossed forelegs and chin still resting comfortably on the pillow as she scooted quickly across the floor and through the door in back. Once into the back room, she looped around in a graceful circle so that she was set up comfortably in the corner of the room, and dropped her rear back down onto the floor, all set up to keep reading and watch everything happening!

Rarity nodded as she saw fit to respond to the second set of lines uttered by the prince. [colour=#663399]"Of course! I can only imagine it is imperative that you keep that oh so charming and attractive image of yours. You wouldn't want anypony to discover the paucity of pleasing facets it so desperately attempts to compensate for,"[/colour] the mare started with a full smile. She was just being catty now, but she couldn't help herself. This snob prince really did bring out her worse.

"I seem to remember someone making a comment about how one should not make baseless assumptions about the livves of others?" Prince Blueblood instantly rejoindered. Ha! Take that! Him, shallow? He was half minded to turn and leave right then in a high dugeon, but no, he was not letting her think she'd drivwen him away. Besides, she was only a common work-pony when all was said and done. Her opinion of his character mattered not one whit. Well, the very fact that she was willing to go horn to horn with him was at least a bit impressive. None of his peers in Canterlot would dare gainsay him like that.

[colour=#4b0082]"But you are indeed in luck! I just so happen to have full confidence that what I have made for you can enliven even the shallowest of veneer! Do follow me now. I'm sure you will be pleased,"[/colour] she said as she began to trot back toward the display room, waiting for the others to follow.

"Fortunately enhancing a veneer will not be needed. I am Blueblood, 53rd of the line of the Dukes of Canter, and my nobility goes all the way down to the very core of my horn. However, if you can somehow enhance the obvious brilliance that is already there, I'm sure I will be."

"I seem to remember someone making a comment about how one should not make baseless assumptions about the livves of others?"

[colour=#663399]"indeed I did. I however said nothing against making simple observations of character,"[/colour] Rarity quipped back immediately, flipping her mane. She wasn't going to let this stallion turn this around on her. She didn't care if he didn't stick around for what she had prepared for him. She'd still be able to sell it in time and the damage he could to to her reputation could be repaired. The impression this pony had made at the Gala was not just going to change so suddenly.

"Fortunately enhancing a veneer will not be needed. I am Blueblood, 53rd of the line of the Dukes of Canter, and my nobility goes all the way down to the very core of my horn. However, if you can somehow enhance the obvious brilliance that is already there, I'm sure I will be."

Rarity almost laughed. Was he serious? How out of touch to not even realize how deplorable and ignoble his attitude was. It wasn't even worth dignifying, and making further barbs at this point might just be sinking to his level. She had to put on her good face and make the sale... that is, after she messed with a little.

[colour=#663399]"Oh, but of course! I'm sure your storied bloodline is so proud too!"[/colour] Okay, maybe she wasn't entirely done with quips. It was hard to resist sometimes. "But as I have said, I have prepared just the very thing for you."

She ran toward a dress form presently covered by a sheet of fabric. She didn't really typically make that big of a production out of the reveal, but here it was part of the point. Smiling a little too much she reached for the fabric with her magic. [colour=#663399]"And here it is! Striking, flamboyant and sure to get everypony talking no matter where you go! I guarantee this will make you the cynosure of all!"[/colour] Rarity declared, recalling this stallion's words to her from their previous encounter.

Giggling mischievously to herself, Rarity than pulled back the fabric and revealing a frilly, purple and blue dress, complete with ribbons and gemstones. She smied at the prince before speaking, [colour=#663399]"I know you must be just so eager to try it on!"[/colour]

It was possibly unfortunate that Blueblood had taken out a mirror and was doing a magic touch up to his mane when the reveal came. After all, he had to look his best when trying this costume on. He was glad this Rarity had finally seen things the right way, his way in other words.

He looked up, then did a double take. "Miss, I think you have the wrong costume. That..." He pointed out the offending creation, "... is a dress. I am a stallion, or hadn't you noticed?"

The shock had given his mane lengthening spell a larger pulse of magic than intended, and the result was that his beautifully groomed blond mane spilled down his shoulders untilit hung past his neck.

He didn't really notice, still focussed on the ponykin. "Either that or this is some crude attempt at Ponyvillian humour. If I wore that, I'd be the laughing stock of the entire soireee, no all of Canterlot!"

(OOC: I just piublished a short story on the fic section, an AU take on 'One Bad Apple'.)

Sweetie Belle smiled happily as she kept reading from the book, continuing from where she'd left off, mostly oblivious to what was going on. [colour=#800080]"When you receive a commission from a craftspony, always first list the fine points of the commission, making certain to praise that which is praiseworthy, before making any requests for changes. To do otherwise would be to disrespect the care and time the craftspony has put into it."[/colour]

Sweetie wondered where the parts on dresses were... after all, that would be the important part for being a fashionista! So she stopped reading the part on hiring ponies and started flipping through the book a bit more, looking for clothing tips. [colour=#800080]"Let's see... Do not carry a chip on your shoulder, for it shall detract from your appearance of gentile spirit.... no ... Ah! Fashion tips! No, these just say to be fashionable... but not what fashionable is ... how to drink tea? Wow, there's a lot of rules in here..."[/colour]

"Miss, I think you have the wrong costume. That... is a dress. I am a stallion, or hadn't you noticed?"

Rarity snickered at the initial reply. He made this all too easy for her sometimes.

[colour=#663399]"Oh? Oh! You're right. How silly of me not to catch that tiny little detail,"[/colour] she quipped back, enjoying herself a little too much. [colour=#663399]"Perhaps had you acted more like one on our first encounter I might have noticed." [/colour]she added with a series of nods.

"Either that or this is some crude attempt at Ponyvillian humour. If I wore that, I'd be the laughing stock of the entire soireee, no all of Canterlot!"

When the Prince's mane suddenly then exploded out from magic, Rarity had to check herself to make sure she hadn't done anything. Sure enough, her hooves were clean. He had for some reason gave himself a long and flowing mane at this oh so inopportune time. Rarity laughed and shook her head.

[colour=#663399]"I don't know... just look at that luxurious mane! I do believe you'd look just fabulous. Surely everypony just won't be able to take their eyes off of you and your girlish charms!"[/colour] Rarity spoke with energy.

[colour=#663399]"Besides, it's not like you didn't say this was what you wanted!"[/colour] she started with a laugh. [colour=#663399]"Don't deny yourself what you know deep down you desire!"[/colour]