Pinkie Pie was in the wrong. ((S02EP18)My least favorite episode)

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do I have good reasoning to be upset with this?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure...

Before I begin, I would like to make note that I am not a fan of Pinkie Pie. I am naturally biased towards her and will jump at the first mistake she makes to tear her to shreds. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the show but simply not the character.

'A Friend in Deed' completely irritated the hell out of me. The song was cute and a good beginning to the episode but it was everyting after that went downhill for me.

One of the most popular relationships I see people compare Doodle and Pinkie Pie to is that of Spongebob and Squidward. Its essentially the same if we look into it lightly. Spongebob wants to be Squidwards buddy and Squidward is cranky and wants nothing to do with him. Yet there is a problem with this analogy. Squidward's crankiness does not compare to Doodle's. Squidward is cranky because he ended up in a dead-end job when he wanted to be a dancer (I believe). But there are things that make him happy like playing the clarinet, reading and pursuing artistic endeavors. We actually see him happy and despite his resolve towards Spongebob, they do spend a good amount of time together.

We only knew Doodle for what seems to be the course of a few days. All we know about Doodle's crankiness is that he's lost someone. This doesn't compare to self-pity. Of course, if anyone has watched the episode entirely, they know that his loss was not to the degree that it was played up to be and that he ends up happy in the end. Yet, lets just go back to assuming that we don't know the degree at which he'd lost this person.

Despite it being obvious he was in mourning, Pinkie Pie could not come to terms with the fact he did not want to be her friend. He was tired and upset, but despite the obvious Pinkie constantly berated and humilated him. We know that she was innocent in doing this but as I continued to watch the episode, she kept getting ruder and ruder. She even ruined the only possession he had to remember his loved one by. When Twilight said that Pinkie should understand that not everyone is going to be her friend, THAT should have been somewhat of the message of the episode. Instead, Pinkie tormented him more.

The ending was abrupt with no true leadup. We know that the other donkey lived in Ponyville but the chances that this was his lost love were slim. Considering how populated their world is with ponies, how do we know how many donkies live there? If the episode maybe had clues leading up to the reveal like a photograph or a few momentos, then maybe I wouldn't be as skeptical as I am.

This episode only shows me that I think Pinkie might have a mental disorder.

hi hi

I discussed my views on this in episode thread. I disagree, respectfully. Just because someone doesn't want to be your friend, doesn't mean you shouldn't try to be nice to them. Its a cultural thing. Yes, Pinkie Pie made some mistakes, but she learned her lesson.

However, "Some people should not be your friends," would have been a terrible lesson for anyone to learn.

How nice to see a post like this. I disagree with a lot of what you said, but you presented your opinion and facts very nicely. I do agree it was probably not Pinkie's best "character growth" episode (my opinion is that would be Baby Cakes), though I can't blame you for finding the character annoying.

The analogy between Squidward and Spongebob isn't very accurate in my opinion. The big difference is that Spongebob seldom understands when he's done something wrong to Squidward; Pinkie understood right away when she did something bad to CDD, and took steps right away to rectify the situation, for good or ill. The character mechanics are there for the sake of some slapstick, despite the take-away message. Since we have very limited time for a new character presented to us to be fleshed out, it has to fall on the complexity of the other character's interactions to tell the story, and the new character has to take a more reactive role (which more or less had Pinkie annoying him for most of the episode without any real development).

I think the message was "Be nice to someone, no matter what." I think that's a good thing to practice. If someone is unkind to you, be kind to them anyway -- there's usually a reason they're acting that way, anyway.

Pinkie with a mental disorder? Whatevar gave you zat idea?

OeenE.gif

Now that we know what episode you didn't like and why, can you tell me what your favorite episode is, and why? I'm curious.

How nice to see a post like this. I disagree with a lot of what you said, but you presented your opinion and facts very nicely. I do agree it was probably not Pinkie's best "character growth" episode (my opinion is that would be Baby Cakes), though I can't blame you for finding the character annoying.

The analogy between Squidward and Spongebob isn't very accurate in my opinion. The big difference is that Spongebob seldom understands when he's done something wrong to Squidward; Pinkie understood right away when she did something bad to CDD, and took steps right away to rectify the situation, for good or ill. The character mechanics are there for the sake of some slapstick, despite the take-away message. Since we have very limited time for a new character presented to us to be fleshed out, it has to fall on the complexity of the other character's interactions to tell the story, and the new character has to take a more reactive role (which more or less had Pinkie annoying him for most of the episode without any real development).

I think the message was "Be nice to someone, no matter what." I think that's a good thing to practice. If someone is unkind to you, be kind to them anyway -- there's usually a reason they're acting that way, anyway.

Pinkie with a mental disorder? Whatevar gave you zat idea?

[gif] (got rid of it to save space)

Now that we know what episode you didn't like and why, can you tell me what your favorite episode is, and why? I'm curious.

Thank you for sharing this point. I never really thought about Pinkie noticing or taking means to try and recitfy her actions (though they only dug her grave deeper). As I said before, I do consider myself biased towards Pinkie Pie so please forgive me if any of my points seem hypocritical or stressed to obscene points.

I can't really give you an exact episode that is my favorite. I'm not a hardcore fan but I do keep up to date with the show. Its a breath of fresh air compare to much of the cartoons given to us today because it has that quality of the ones we grew up with. I can tell you that some of the episodes I prefer more than others are the granny apple episode and the episode where rainbow dash learns to love reading. I can't pin-point why but I enjoyed them.

I do understand that this show was /made for kids/ and the messages are rather simplistic. I also see the whole 'treat others how you want to be treated' aspect to. I just found Pinkie's antics rather selfish.

I'm not planning to condemn Pinkie for this episode. A few episodes back, I found myself actually liking her somewhat. (The one where Applejack won't come back to Ponyville)

The beautiful thing about FiM is how complex the characters are, especially the Mane Six. Pinkie's behavior in Friend in Deed was definitely Pinkie, but it wasn't all that she is. She's not just a party pony with a need to be accepted by others (as demonstrated in her Baby Cakes role). If you don't like her because of how in-your-face and hyperactive she is, I can totally understand why, and you're certainly not alone -- though that is not all Pinkie is; she's capable of hoofing down and changing her behavior, as the situation and stories change as well.

• Like 1

hi hi

It also might be worth pointing out that, if you add the fact that she's friends with everyone in Ponyville and that her checklist had never failed before, Pinkie Pie's friend making techniques must have been successfully performed hundreds of times before. I'd say a little bit of confusion on her part is understandable, given how accustomed she was to success.

In my experience, there's a lot of problems in our world that are caused by people endlessly paying each other back with meanness. Eye for an eye, and all that sort of thing. Pinkie Pie is a strong refusal of that premise, saying that even if someone doesn't like you, you should still try to be friendly. She learned that there are different ways to be friends... essentially, how you try to make someone happy is important, but who you try to make happy isn't important.

hi hi

It also might be worth pointing out that, if you add the fact that she's friends with everyone in Ponyville and that her checklist had never failed before, Pinkie Pie's friend making techniques must have been successfully performed hundreds of times before. I'd say a little bit of confusion on her part is understandable, given how accustomed she was to success.

In my experience, there's a lot of problems in our world that are caused by people endlessly paying each other back with meanness. Eye for an eye, and all that sort of thing. Pinkie Pie is a strong refusal of that premise, saying that even if someone doesn't like you, you should still try to be friendly. She learned that there are different ways to be friends... essentially, how you try to make someone happy is important, but who you try to make happy isn't important.

The only reason they work is because the writers want them too. The ending of A Friend in Deed was a cheap shot that shouldn't hve existed.

The only reason they work is because the writers want them too. The ending of A Friend in Deed was a cheap shot that shouldn't hve existed.

I have to disagree with you on that. I think the ending was satisfying and actually kind of sweet.

Episode resolution can be tricky business, since the writers have 22 minutes to tell a story, and it's often hard to squeeze in time real estate with that. There does not have to be a negative to resolve a positive. We saw this in Applejack's infamous letter to Celestia from Cider Squeezy. Often it's the balance between the two where we'll find the best lessons and most satisfying endings.

I think some people give up on friendships too easily. Sometimes you do need to be the proactive person to show the other that you care about them -- and different people can be friends differently too. Pinkie didn't back down, and eventually resolved several problems at once because of her friendly tenacity.

Well in Pinkies defense she did try to make up for her mistakes near the end of the episode albeit she was a little misguided.

The thing to understand here is that Pinkie is unused to people not liking her so when Cranky came along it was different then what she was used to.

And I do think Pinkie did learn a lesson, I do think she had good intentions but her over the top nature clouded her judgement.

Hey at least i can say something positive here for Pinkie compared to my least favorite right now Rainbow Dash who now more or less comes off as an arrogant jerk who has to use the words awesome and cool every 3 seconds to make herself look better.

Heck even Rarity my former least favorite pony got higher this season because they made her quite likable.

Sure I understand why people find Pinkie annoying but still I have to respect a pony who can warp the laws of reality like she does.

compared to my least favorite right now Rainbow Dash who now more or less comes off as an arrogant jerk who has to use the words awesome and cool every 3 seconds to make herself look better.

Heck even Rarity my former least favorite pony got higher this season because they made her quite likable.

Oh neiiiigh you didn't! Ashton, get the rope!

Rainbow isn't that bad! I think the only thing close to what you're describing is how she was acting in MMDW, and I think that episode was a very poor representation of her personality and character.

I have to disagree with you on that. I think the ending was satisfying and actually kind of sweet.

Episode resolution can be tricky business, since the writers have 22 minutes to tell a story, and it's often hard to squeeze in time real estate with that. There does not have to be a negative to resolve a positive. We saw this in Applejack's infamous letter to Celestia from Cider Squeezy. Often it's the balance between the two where we'll find the best lessons and most satisfying endings.

I think some people give up on friendships too easily. Sometimes you do need to be the proactive person to show the other that you care about them -- and different people can be friends differently too. Pinkie didn't back down, and eventually resolved several problems at once because of her friendly tenacity.

In real life I would have called the cops and gotten a restraining order. No. Means. No.

However, I understand where you are coming from. Even so, I believe that it is unrealistic. If someone annoyed me for that long, and then broke a possession of mine that close to me, how long do you think it would have taken me to recover? I'd be in a mental hole. Even if she did reunite me with my lost "love", there's absolutely no reason that I would be 100% obligated to be her friend. I mean, I would be thankful nonetheless, but I wouldn't be all "OMG BFF's 4EVA!!!". Not to say that he was, but he recovered way to quickly. Yes, I realise that this was a 22 minute story, but even so. They could have put a time lapse or transition. That always works. Yes, I do lastly understand that Pinkie is...confident and dosen't give up easily...but even so, she has to know that No Means No. It's an important lesson, and you have to admit that..

In real life I would have called the cops and gotten a restraining order. No. Means. No.

However, I understand where you are coming from. Even so, I believe that it is unrealistic. If someone annoyed me for that long, and then broke a possession of mine that close to me, how long do you think it would have taken me to recover? I'd be in a mental hole. Even if she did reunite me with my lost "love", there's absolutely no reason that I would be 100% obligated to be her friend. I mean, I would be thankful nonetheless, but I wouldn't be all "OMG BFF's 4EVA!!!". Not to say that he was, but he recovered way to quickly. Yes, I realise that this was a 22 minute story, but even so. They could have put a time lapse or transition. That always works. Yes, I do lastly understand that Pinkie is...confident and dosen't give up easily...but even so, she has to know that No Means No. It's an important lesson, and you have to admit that..

She's also not supposed to see, manipulate, or interact with the 4th wall. What makes you think she'll pay attention to a social wall, too?

"No means no" doesn't sound like a lesson they'll be pitching into an episode anytime soon. If the lesson really was about Pinkie not making friends with CDD out of respect for his personal space (or out of his sheer dislike for her after what she did to him accidentally), what kind of message would that carry? The end would be pretty grave and totally out of the scope of the story.

She's also not supposed to see, manipulate, or interact with the 4th wall. What makes you think she'll pay attention to a social wall, too?

"No means no" doesn't sound like a lesson they'll be pitching into an episode anytime soon. If the lesson really was about Pinkie not making friends with CDD out of respect for his personal space (or out of his sheer dislike for her after what she did to him accidentally), what kind of message would that carry? The end would be pretty grave and totally out of the scope of the story.

I'm not saying that they should make an episode like that. I completely understand and respect what you're saying. I'll admit the ending would have been grave, but they wouldn't have to end it so directly like that. The lesson, though understandable for the type of show it is, is completely unrealistic. It became more of a "Of you don't suceed first, keep trying and never give up" episode than an episode about friendship itself. This could be the root of my problem. I would have liked to see a light-hearted "Sometimes, you can't get everypony to like you. But that dosen't mean you can't be nice to them."

I mean, that's not so bad, is it? It's realistic...and it would fit with the theme of the show. Or equally fitting, "Not everypony is nice, but that dosen't mean you can't be." Something along those lines would have fit better. I'm sorry, but I still find the ending to be a cheap shot. Just because it's light-hearted fiction dosen't mean social logic is gone.

I'm not saying that they should make an episode like that. I completely understand and respect what you're saying. I'll admit the ending would have been grave, but they wouldn't have to end it so directly like that. The lesson, though understandable for the type of show it is, is completely unrealistic. It became more of a "Of you don't suceed first, keep trying and never give up" episode than an episode about friendship itself. This could be the root of my problem. I would have liked to see a light-hearted "Sometimes, you can't get everypony to like you. But that dosen't mean you can't be nice to them."

I mean, that's not so bad, is it? It's realistic...and it would fit with the theme of the show. Or equally fitting, "Not everypony is nice, but that dosen't mean you can't be." Something along those lines would have fit better. I'm sorry, but I still find the ending to be a cheap shot. Just because it's light-hearted fiction dosen't mean social logic is gone.

Yeah, I totally see what you're saying. Maybe the ending was too abrupt and CDD was a bit too accepting right away. Ideally the episode would have been longer so all of these interactions could have been fleshed out to deliver a more satisfying story.

The beauty behind the lesson is that it is open to interpretation. We've each suggested different points and meanings behind the message, which is definitely a good thing!

hi hi

Social logic is practically an oxymoron. There's a reason why they call it psycho logical. :D

Seriously though, I don't think having a character make mistakes during the course of an episode invalidates the lesson.

Also, I think the part where this is breaking down is the semantic definition of friend. It seems like some people have a very set definition of friend, but in the context of the episode, Pinkie PIe very clearly stated her definition of a friend as someone who you can try to make smile. Thats the important part. All the picky details of how to accomplish that, and what to expect in return, were purposefully left open ended for different types of people.

This episode only shows me that I think Pinkie might have a mental disorder.

You have a very good point... makes me question why Derpy was changed again.

Anyway, I see what you mean, and I did notice that too. Pinkie was going a tad over the edge with Cranky, but I think it was all in good intention. It was also in her character to do something like she did. After all, she is Pinkie Pie, the one pony who is friends with EVERYONE in ponyville, and she noticed the one guy who she doesn't know. It seems completely natural that she won't go to such extremes to make friends with Cranky, even after Twilight wanted her to stop. Sure she made some mistakes in doing so, and she is relatively clumsy, but in the end she got what she wanted and I guess I just don't like to think that deeply into the small details of each episode.

Oh, and, nopony else in ponyville is as cranky as Cranky Doodle Donkey, he's a completely new type of person and Pinkie just didn't know how to approach the guy. :smirk:

Personally I thought that part of the point was that Cranky, like some others, was a bit slow to warm up and sometimes slow to warm people have a reason to be, most of the Ponies seem to be fairly open so the same strategy has always worked for Pinkie, really the closest thing to a template she had for dealing with Ponies that put up barriers was when she first met Twilight and even in that case she just walked towards a table looking irratated, poured a drink and ran away (which Pinkie Pie misenterpreted as being emotionally moved, either way, Twilight never openly rejected her the way Cranky did). When she saw that her usual method failed she tried everything she could think in hopes that one would work. I can see how some of these attempts could be considered rude, namely the inccident where she tries to find a replacement wig, though she did seem to be surprised when everyone started laughing about the whole thing.

As for not knowing the degree to which Carnky lost his friend or if she'd be able to find them, there is one point that hints that the friend is living in Ponyville, when Pinkie asks about the photo before the book has it's....accident. They have touched on not being able to win everypony over in the part where Pinkie is talking to Twilight and no means no was touched on in a recent episode, though not in the same way. Either way, I agree that having the episode end in her simply acepting that Cranky dosen't want to be friends wouldn't really work and having her thinking that she'll have to do that, and then winning him over after she tried to get him to accept her apology was a good way to handle it

Basically the message being that some people aren't as friendly as others and perhaps aren't willing to open up to new people right away but you can still be nice to them and they may be willing to accept you, but just because one approach as worked on most people dosen't mean it will work on everyone

The thing is that I think the OP comparing Pinkie to Spongebob is very unfair as I think Pinkie Pie is a good character and Spongebob being a bad one.

Pinkie has the mind of a child still, so she does not see the world the same way most people do.

This is not a bad thing in the case of Pinkie as unlike Spongebob she is a character who has had some growth over the series and this was just another step in her learning process.

This being a light hearted series of course there are not going to be long lasting repercussions for her but still we know that Pinkie has a good heart.

And if she does have some sort of mental disorder, so what we all have something wrong with us.

I have bipolar disorder, and I might have a very mild form of autism and its nothing to be ashamed of.

Pinkie seems to have ADD but its not something worth hating her over

Please tell me you can swallow a cake whole. You will be my personal hero if you can.

Paul:

Carl: Wow that sounds pretty awesome.

I don't eat like pinkie anymore, and thus I am hanging out just above my minimum healthy weight.

Eh, Pinkie is one of thoughs odd characters. I at first didn't like her at all but I think she has grown up a bit through out the show and I can at least stand her now she has at least moved above rainbow dash who I still don't like because she still acts very aroggent and rude. But overall I think she was kind of at fault but she was also maturing through out the episode.