Pathfinder and the City of the Griffons (Phil the Time Wizard and SteelEagle)

RarityDash

[colour=#006400]"Hehehehe- docha worry Gildja, if gotta plan,"[/colour]

[colour=#996699]"Yeah, I'm kinda banking on that,"[/colour] Gilda barbed back almost instantly in reply to Pathfinder's reassurance.

It was the truth though. Gilda didn't know what to do down here but survive. she was counting on this crazy mare with the bad leg and the muzzled beak was her only shot. Everything was hinged on that screwy head of hers and its crazy pony logic. It all depended on the outcome whether it would be the smartest or dumbest gamble she had ever made. The griffoness really had no clue either way how it would go at this point. She just hoped that something happened soon. If she had to stay down in this place very long it was going to kill her in so many ways.

[colour=#006400]"Donctha fret y'illy griffies. Shish time nex' mon'h, we'll b'sippin' drinks near Saddleshore Beach [/colour][colour=#006400]How'uch longer ish sha shift? Gotscha get ta escapin'!"[/colour]

Ava gave a laugh at the pony's confidence. it seemed unlikely that this pony could pull it off, and yet something about her had her buying it. She did certainly want out of this place too... so it was the kind of thing she was eager to hear.

She gave an amused nod. [colour=#cc6600]"Yeah... they work us pretty hard around here. After our meal, it's a good four or five hours more before were permitted to eat again and then head off back to the cells to sleep. Pretty much all there is we can do. The work pushes you past the point of exhaustion."[/colour]

[colour=#996699]"Who would have guessed prison sucked so much," [/colour]Gilda said with a long sigh and a roll of her eyes. This whole mess was edging dangerously close to not worth it for her, as hard as she was trying to endure.

[colour=#cc6600]"Not really sure how you're gonna find the time to explore the place freely working this job,"[/colour] the other griffoness continued. [colour=#cc6600]"Don't know where you're gonna find the energy."[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder knew for a fact that the majority of her plans were by nature longshots. Heck, the Helm of Commander Hurricane was by definition unreachable except in the realm of fantastical longshots and over-achievements. She based her entire life on such leaps of faith, though in her mind the very ideals that she held faith in were so unshakable that she made these leaps with all the assurances of success a pony could believe. In the long line of her life she had ran into a few who questioned her beliefs, but those had quickly exited her life. There was nothing in this world more firm than the fact that in order to succeed you had to believe in yourself and for Pathfinder that meant believing in the very ideals of adventure. She did. The good would triumph over the evil; hardships existed to temper the soul and body and make the story better, and her allies existed because every good adventure needed different flavours and views so the readers and or future recipients of this sacred story would relate on a more personal level with somepony or griffin.

Gilda sounded worried. She let on a little more than she probably intended, but Pathfinder didn't blame her. This was probably the little griffon's first time incarcerated or in such grave danger. The threat of a slow, unknown demise as opposed to some dramatic engagement and a heroic sacrifice probably weighed heavily on her comrade who struck Pathfinder as so overwhelmingly prideful that it just wouldn't work. Nope, she needed to get out because Celestia above she was better than that. So was Pathfinder for that matter, but she knew that she'd be okay no matter what. She was simply too adorable and too adventurous to be stopped, and when all was said and done, hopefully Gilly would come around. But for now, they had business. Especially since they had so much work to go! It was a lot to do, even if she had a good leg. With a bad leg, it made the whole shebang many multiples of suck. But it was what it ws and until they were done, she was sure that they couldn't get Razorclaw's attention. Pathfinder smiled at her griffon pals.

[colour=#006400]"Allya gots'a do ish mak're we talkta big'l Razor-Raz, hafta get'm workin' for us!"[/colour] She finished with as much of a smile as she could muster as she started tapping the two on the sides. They were only gonna get him noticing this small collection of incredibly attractive winged beasts if they stood apart. And here, there was only one way to stand out.

[colour=#006400]"C'mon, we gotta stan'out from tha crowd! Gotta work!"[/colour]

[colour=#006400]"Allya gots'a do ish mak're we talkta big'l Razor-Raz, hafta get'm workin' for us! [/colour][colour=#006400]C'mon, we gotta stan'out from tha crowd! Gotta work!"[/colour]

[colour=#996699]"Huh, Razorclaw?"[/colour] Gilda started, kinda surprised by the words her partner in crime was saying. [colour=#996699]"You think that loon is our ticket out of here?"[/colour]

That was a kind of funny thought, especially since his cousin or sister or whatever it was was responsible for the two of them ending up down here in the first place. This guy seemed different than that nasty Brenda though. He was more of a lose canon... and considering his working wings Gilda really did kinda see what Pathfinder was getting at with the idea. Razorclaw had his wings, which meant he had the means to leave. If they could get in good with Razorclaw it could potentially be an important step in the right direction.

[colour=#996699]"i think I'm getting you, pony," [/colour]Gilda said after a moment, nodding.[colour=#996699] "If that's the plan I'll just have to lay on my winning charm like I did with old Gavin up top," [/colour]she joked at her own expense, giving a short laugh. [colour=#996699]"Hopefully the result will be a little better this time out..."[/colour]

[colour=#cc6600]"Razorclaw isn't a name I'd ever be quick to trust," [/colour]Ava said bitterly, looking aside. [colour=#cc6600]"It's a family of corruption, with elements in certain wings that could make even that Director blush," [/colour]she spat and shook her head before giving a resigned sigh. [colour=#cc6600]"Though if the plan to get out of here hinges on it... I guess... there isn't much choice."[/colour]

[colour=#996699]"Pretty much," [/colour]Gilda said with a shrug as she stretched. [colour=#996699]"So let's just shut up and get back to work."[/colour]

[colour=#cc6600]"Sounds fair,"[/colour] the other griffon replied with a casual laugh, as her and Gilda began to make their way back to the worksite.

Pathfinder.png

The plan was set and the small group knew what they needed to do. Well, two of them did. Pathfinder still wasn't sure whether Ava was as trustworthy as Pathfinder was giving her credit for. On one hoof, she was nice, but that may have been just as much to do with a scared criminal searching for friends in the bowels of such a scary place. On the other hoof, Pathfinder considered her record of griffon character studies to be near one-hundred percent accurate. Gilda had provided more fun per pound of flesh and talon than anygriffon else possibly could, a really good value on Pathfinder's emotional investment. Maybe Pathfinder would strike gold a second time or maybe Ava would be a boring ol' griffy griff. Regardless, she now knew the plan and Pathie had to invest something in the hopes of her success.

The trio went back to work, the griffons doing what they could to stabilize and tear down the pillar and Pathfinder doing her best imitation of a work horse. It wasn't the most effective method she had to admit as determination didn't help as much as a not-so-broken hoof and in general body. But it counted for something and within a few hours she learned to accept the pain and do her job as effectively as she could, which wasn't all that effective, but who was gonna get on her for doing what she could considering what a terrible injury she had? Every last moment sent such shivers of pain coursing through her and darkened her vision that she could hardly remain conscious as she hauled slab after slab despite the mocking words of other griffons. It'd take a cruel, cruel griffon, one without compassion or empathy for those in poor states. It would take a Razorclaw.

[colour=#ff0000]"Pick it up, pony!"[/colour] Razorclaw growled as he swooped in silently from above, talons sweeping across her muzzle and pulling her down harshly to the ground as he fluttered to a stop next to the two griffons, shaking his head.

[colour=#ff0000]"Ponies. Break their limbs and they're as useful as a hatchling," [/colour]He giggled and flapped himself on top of a slab nearby.

[colour=#ff0000]"So, my supervisors say you two have been beating this pillar into submission, really working hard. Good for you, hate lazy sloths-"[/colour] He raised his voice as he looked over at Pathfinder, [colour=#ff0000]"WHO ARE WASTING EVERYGRIFFON'S TIME!"[/colour] Some cheers of affirmation. Griffons saw meat. Griffons wanted meat.

[colour=#ff0000]"But if you two keep it up, you'll be getting meat!"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#FF0000]"So, my supervisors say you two have been beating this pillar into submission, really working hard. Good for you, hate lazy sloths- [/colour][colour=#FF0000]WHO ARE WASTING EVERYGRIFFON'S TIME! [/colour][colour=#FF0000]But if you two keep it up, you'll be getting meat!"[/colour]

Not long after they went back to work, there he was looming over them, Razorclaw. Gilda gave him a flat look, trying not to show her disdain. She recalled what Pathfinder said. Their freedom might just hinge on this creep. It was important she tried to get him on his side. How to do that though? Impressing some unhinged, dangerous griffon--down here likely because he enjoyed it despite coming from privilege-- it didn't seem easy. All the same, she needed to make sure she played this right.

She noticed he was being hard on Pathfinder. She supposed this was a natural thing. She was a lame pony-- currently in more than one way. It was pretty easy to understand why everyone in the Pit would look at her and see a slab of meat. While she had to protect Pathfinder, who was her ticket out, it was probably best she didn't let herself take on too much of a reputation as a pony lover. Pathfinder would probably understand; it was her plan to win the creep over after all. This was just the way to do that.

[colour=#996699]"Heh. This pony don't pick it up and we won't need your meat--we'll have our own,"[/colour] she said with a harsh laugh. [colour=#996699]"Though I don't know how much we can really expect much from a pony."[/colour]

Ava seemed to intuitively understand what Gilda was going for, and though she had expressed some hesitations toward a plan involving Razorclaw, she proved she was willing to play along. [colour=#cc6600]"Aww, but we can't just eat her. Isn't it more fun to watch her push that pathetic body of hers past its meager limits, knowing full well her life depends on her pulling her weight?"[/colour]

[colour=#996699]"Good point, I rather agree,"[/colour] Gilda said with a laugh. She turned toward Razorclaw then and smiled. [colour=#996699]"What about you, our ever charismatic overseer? Don't you think it's fun to see something so pathetic struggle?"[/colour] She ended on another harsh laugh.

Pathfinder.png

Razorclaw was overjoyed to see his fellow griffons join in on the Pony fun. It wasn't that he necessarily disliked the lower kind- he didn't hate cats or dogs or termites for that matter. It wasn't worth the energy needed to put critters in their place, but ponies? Ponies thought they were something special. At least Earth Ponies were tolerable as he could taunt them from above, the forever grounded fools. Unicorns were a bit more annoying since they could be cowards and fight from afar, but you put a little blocker on the horn and suddenly you could reduce the most arrogant unicorn to a terrified foal. Pegasi were the worst though, pale reflections of the glory of griffonkind who thought their speed and control of the weather made up for their innate lameness and lack of physical prowess. It didn't. It made them hot-headed and inferior creatures of flight who didn't assume their proper pecking order. He didn't hate them, but he didn't hate termites either. He did play with them though and pegasi were the most fun of all.

Razorclaw smiled as he grasped Pathfinder by the head with his oversized talons, whipping her about like a snowglobe.

[colour=#ff0000]"It IS fun watching them struggle. Ya know, we once had an Equestrian Royal Guardspony down here. Big, tough pegasus with muscles the size of boulders that our brothers and sisters topside couldn't get anything out of for weeks in interrogation. He came down here about four years ago...maybe five. Time flies by-"[/colour] he laughed, flapping his wings for effect,[colour=#ff0000] "down here. Anyway, we put him to work and boy howdy was he a toughie. He could haul more than any griffon I've seen, bring down a pillar with a single leg, and nogriffon could best him. But pegasi, like us..."[/colour] He trailed a talon along Pathfinder's wings before clutching the left one, squeezing, and lifting her up. Pathfinder flailed about, but the other talon held her head in place and squeezed as well and all she could do was clench her teeth in agony.

[colour=#ff0000]"...are attached to their wings," [/colour]he smiled at the line[colour=#ff0000], "and try as he might, he couldn't hold off on eating forever. His wings grew weaker and weaker and after several months, we took the ropes off and led him to the entrance. he tried to fly away, but he could barely hover for more than a few seconds. Oh, what a sight to see! This enormous, powerful stallion trying for hours, all night, trying to get away...only to fall and fall and fall and fall. He started crying in anger, lashing out at us, but after twelve hours he realized he was trapped. He was broken that night and within the week, he was picked up as a pet for Cell 17,"[/colour] He let Pathfinder go. The mare fell to the ground with a thud and rolled in agony, her wing throbbing as much as her leg now.

[colour=#ff0000]"Watching them struggle in vain is so delicious, you are right,"[/colour] he approached his two new favorite griffons, catching them in the eyes slowly. His gaze was slow, unflinching, and unbelievably cruel. They were not the eyes of a madgriffon, but instead held a bone-chilling cold glare that spoke of a vicious logic that dominated his mind

[colour=#ff0000]"They always end up the same. They either submit quickly and become somegriffon's toy, or maybe they are so unique that they become a pet. That Guardpony I mentioned? I'm pretty sure they trained him to be a cat. I hear he's all fat and weak now and doesn't speak a word, just meows. Weirdo. But that's better I suppose for them than..." [/colour]He shrugged, looking behind the pillar and finding a bone. He snickered and tossed it at Pathfinder who was just then sitting back up, the bone slamming against her forehead and knocking her out cold.

[colour=#ff0000]"I like you two. After work, come see me with your little pony. I have such sights to show you," [/colour]he offered, a quick lick of Ava's face before he fluttered on over to Pathfinder, picking her up, kicking her in the damaged leg to wake her up- and it sure did, Pathfinder going from unconscious to awake and in agony in less than a microsecond- and dropping her back down.

[colour=#ff0000]"See ya later, chickadees," [/colour]And then Razorclaw was gone.

Pathfinder fell against a rock in order to remain balanced, her entire body wracked with pain to the point that her world throbbed black and white colours.

[colour=#006400]"I...duuhnt thahnk 'eee 'ikes meeeee..."[/colour]

• 1 month later...

[colour=#FF0000]"It IS fun watching them struggle. Ya know, we once had an Equestrian Royal Guardspony down here. Big, tough pegasus with muscles the size of boulders that our brothers and sisters topside couldn't get anything out of for weeks in interrogation. He came down here about four years ago...maybe five. Time flies by- [/colour][colour=#FF0000]down here. Anyway, we put him to work and boy howdy was he a toughie. He could haul more than any griffon I've seen, bring down a pillar with a single leg, and nogriffon could best him. But pegasi, like us[/colour][colour=#FF0000]...are attached to their wings, [/colour][colour=#FF0000]and try as he might, he couldn't hold off on eating forever. His wings grew weaker and weaker and after several months, we took the ropes off and led him to the entrance. he tried to fly away, but he could barely hover for more than a few seconds. Oh, what a sight to see! This enormous, powerful stallion trying for hours, all night, trying to get away...only to fall and fall and fall and fall. He started crying in anger, lashing out at us, but after twelve hours he realized he was trapped. He was broken that night and within the week, he was picked up as a pet for Cell 17."[/colour]

Gilda stared blankly ahead as the deranged Razorclaw conveyed the mad tale. Trying to intimidate them was he? Perhaps he was just trying to bring Pathfinder down, crush her spirits and smite out that flickering flame of hope that Gilda was banking on. Whatever it was, the story made Gilda's stomach turn. Not that she was a creature of sympathy really, especially not for some pony she didn't even know. It was more just they way this creep told it. The satisfaction in his voice... the sense she got that he got some sick pleasure from the events he was recounting... it all made her just sneer in disgust. Looking at the other griffoness, she seemed ever more affected. Ava seemed ready to take her talons to Razorclaw's eyes at any moment-- something Gilda might not have minded seeing. Nothing came of it though and neither griffoness said a word as the slimy griffon continue to speak.

[colour=#FF0000]"Watching them struggle in vain is so delicious, you are right, [/colour][colour=#FF0000]They always end up the same. They either submit quickly and become somegriffon's toy, or maybe they are so unique that they become a pet. That Guardpony I mentioned? I'm pretty sure they trained him to be a cat. I hear he's all fat and weak now and doesn't speak a word, just meows. Weirdo. But that's better I suppose for them than..."[/colour]

Razorclaw told more of his twisted tale and then threw a bone at Pathfinder. Gilda glowered and struggled to restrain herself. It proved difficult, but they had already decided on their plan. Pathfinder said they needed this creep to get out of here. She had to stop herself from provoking him too much. She needed to play this right.

[colour=#996699]"Not sure what you can expect from a pony really. Doesn't surprise me that even one of the ones who thinks he's tough would break quickly in a place like this." [/colour]She gave a shrug then. [colour=#996699]"Though it is kind of a shame. Such a good worker reduced to a useless animal. Unfortunate, isn't it?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"I like you two. After work, come see me with your little pony. I have such sights to show you. [/colour][colour=#FF0000]See ya later, chickadees,"[/colour]

Razorclaw had these words to offer and a lick to Ava's face before he flew off. Gilda let out a deep breath as his departure. She then looked toward her fellow griffoness who looked very far from pleased.

[colour=#996699]"That disgusting monster!"[/colour] the other griffon started, temper flaring. [colour=#996699]"If escape hinges on enduring him it cannot come quickly enough. I cannot curse the name Razorclaw enough..."[/colour] she continued, looking about ready to snap.

Gilda frowned and looked down at Pathfinder. it was pretty fair to say that this process would be the easiest on her, and even she was beginning to question just how much hope there was. Nevertheless, she was curious just what Razorclaw had to show them. That he had extended an invitation to them was a good sign going by the plan. They just needed to stick to it and let Pathfinder do her thing.

[colour=#006400]"I...duuhnt thahnk 'eee 'ikes meeeee..."[/colour]

Speaking of Pathfinder, she had been treated rather roughly. [colour=#996699]"You okay, pony?"[/colour] Gilda asked, stepping toward here.[colour=#996699] "They sure do delight in beating you down in this place...[/colour]" she said with a small laugh.

[colour=#996699]"But at the very least I think your plan might be starting to work. He did invite us to meet with him after all..."[/colour] she added, smirking quietly as she looked at Pathfinder.

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder's world shook and shattered a thousand times an hour every second as she took the abuse hurled her way by that oversized, overfed, brutal griffon. Not that she would have expected anything else considering her circumstances, but the rest of her body was starting to match her leg in levels of pain. That wasn't the best news she had received all day, and considering she had received plenty of poor news, it was a feat to consider. Razorclaw finally left the three amigos alone, and the two griffons showed touching levels of concern and helping her up. It took a few seconds for their words to permeate throughout her aching mind, but when they did, she smiled broadly.

"Y-" And with that, the bottom half of her muzzle fell off, and her jaw opened wide in joy. She moved it around to get a sense of the freedom it delivered! Yay! Yay! Yay!

[colour=#006400]"Yay! Yay! Yay!"[/colour] She said, prancing in place on three hooves for a few seconds before taking a deep breath, falling down in the process for no real reason.

[colour=#006400]"Yep! All's going according to plan, my feathered friends! By this time...eventually...we'll be out of here and soaring in the skies! But let's knock the rest of the work day out, see if we can't get some rest for this ADVENTURE! We'll work on that big lunkhead and BAM, we win!" [/colour]She said, jumping up to hover and forgetting until she was suspended in the air that her wings were tied. She promptly fell back down to the deck.

[colour=#006400]"To victory!"[/colour]

[colour=#996699]"Watch it, pony! Don't strain yourself so much,"[/colour] Gilda scolded after seeing Pathfinder making a fool of herself and trying to fly around despite her wings being tied.

As Ava helped the pony back up, Glda gave a sigh. [colour=#996699]"Guess we got to get back to work then. After that we can see what that creep wants of us," [/colour]she said, narrowing her eyes.

[colour=#cc9900]"Sounds like a plan," [/colour]Ava said, giving a simple nod.

Soon the three were back at work. It would be a lie to say it passed quickly, but it passed. Gilda put her all into doing the best job at it she could. It became slightly easier as her body became more numb and then more difficult once exhaustion started to set in. Regardless, she kept to it and soon the hours of her shift were at an end. When she was through, she looked toward the bound pony.

[colour=#996699]"Guess it's time to find that Razorclaw..." [/colour]she said, her words containing both anticipation and dread about the coming encounter.

Pathfinder.png

The rest of the work day moved as well as it could, which was much, much better now for Pathfinder since she could take in deep, full breaths rather than the fitful gasps which did little more than inform her of how ragged her lungs felt. The work was still unbearably hard for a pegasus with three working legs as the load in the mine carts never lessened and only strained her more and more. But she held her teeth in place and pulled out whatever courage and reserves of power she could and pushed through the day. It finally ended and she was more than happy to follow the sound of Gilda's voice(her eyesight had failed Pathfinder for the moment), but ended up bumping into her Griffon before shaking her head.

[colour=#006400]"Well, well, well, well, well?" [/colour]She lost her train of thought, then that train stopped and reversed,[colour=#006400] "Oh! Well, I think that if we're going to go and meet him, we all have certain roles to play..."[/colour] Pathfinder said, taking a deep gulp as she arched her eyebrows twice. They all had their parts to play if they wanted to get out of here, just like Daring Do in her classic adventure Daring Do and the Village of the Minotaurs. Of course, that expanded universe novel included time travel as a crutch to prevent Daring Do from being eaten by the Minotaurs, so hopefully it wouldn't repeat itself. Hopefully.

[colour=#006400]"Well, well, well, well, well? [/colour][colour=#006400]Oh! Well, I think that if we're going to go and meet him, we all have certain roles to play..."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Pathfinder replied as she stepped toward them, ultimately colliding with Gilda. Evidently the pony no longer was able to see in front of her. That was just great... Gilda just groaned as she stared over at the pitiful creature she was going to be relying on. Seriously, how had she gotten herself wrapped up in this. She found herself cursing the name Stormwing as she shook her head.[/colour]

[colour=#996699]"Yeah... definitely gotta play this just right," [/colour][colour=#000000]she said, nodding. [/colour][colour=#996699]"Though I think we got it down. Now all we gotta do is go figure out where that creep makes his nest down here."[/colour]

[colour=#996699]"Yep," [/colour][colour=#000000]the other griffoness nodded in accordance.[/colour] [colour=#996699]"Luckily I've been down here long enough I can show you the way."[/colour]

[colour=#996699]"Cool. Lead the way then," [/colour][colour=#000000]Gilda replied with a simple nod.[/colour] [colour=#996699]"Me and the pony will follow."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Following close after Ava, after a not too long trek through portions of the dank underground they all presently called home, Gilda found herself lead to the quarters of the enigmatic Razorclaw. Gilda approached cautiously.[/colour]

"Yo. We came like you said we should. Brought the pony too!" [colour=#000000]she called out.[/colour]

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder smiled in whatever manner she could summon as half of her face felt beyond numb, like that one time at Foalhead mountain when she was attacked by the corralhead snake. The bite sorta made it difficult to do anything but flop around and feel annoyingly numb for a few minutes while she sucked the venom out of her hoof. The plus side is she had found the coolest way to make the toxic smoothie to put the guards to sleep and rescue Trailblazer, and after some modifications, a cool party favour. That wasn't gonna happen here however as she followed Gilda's brand new griffon pal to the hidey hole of the sleazeball who could still fly around. Gosh, what a jerk. He should at least have the courtesy to tie his wings back like the rest in a show of solidarity, but you didn't go to this place because you were a griffon with manners.

They walked for a little while until they came to a block like any other, but with a decidely different decor. The cell door was covered with a tarp, the crest of the Razorclaw family emblazed on it, and the actual living space inside was covered by the door. The door that had two de-winged Griffons who otherwise looked as fit as a fiddle guarding it. They looked at the trio with curiosity and amusement before one nudged the other with a cheshire grin.

"So, I suppose that pony is an offering to Lord Razorclaw? Can't say the food stockpile is getting low enough to want to eat that stringy thing, but we didn't say no last time," The larger one said, tapping three times on the cell block door. A few moments later, a slot opened up in the middle of the crest and two beady eyes stared out.

[colour=#ff0000]"Ahh, the workers from earlier. Come in, I have quite a feast for you!"[/colour] Razorclaw offered as the door was unlocked...

• 3 weeks later...

"So, I suppose that pony is an offering to Lord Razorclaw? Can't say the food stockpile is getting low enough to want to eat that stringy thing, but we didn't say no last time,"

Gilda eyed the two griffons outside Razorclaw's cell with contempt. So the twisted creep had his own goons, huh? Figured. He seemed to they who'd be a magnet for some of the more weak-minded down here. They were just ridiculous decorations in the end, just like the ridiculous Razorclaw emblem emblazoned tarp hanging over the cell itself. Gilda actually couldn't help but snicker at that detail; here he was, likely a deeply shaming secret of the great Razorclaw name yet still flying their banner proudly. It was like a particularly sad, sick joke.

[colour=#996699]"This pony is my property actually," [/colour]Gilda said, shaking her head. [colour=#996699]"I won't be offering her to your Lord Razorclaw, not for nothing at least."[/colour]

She gave a shrug. [colour=#996699]"That would be a pretty stupid deal, wouldn't it?"[/colour] she added bluntly.

[colour=#FF0000]"Ahh, the workers from earlier. Come in, I have quite a feast for you!"[/colour]

Gilda shook her head as the one they had come to see finally made his presence known, calling out to them. Well. She supposed it was time to get this over with.

[colour=#996699]"See, we're expected, just as I was saying,"[/colour] she told the goons as she moved past them, Ava following along. She found her way through the tarp and the door and let her eyes focus in on the griffon.

[colour=#996699]"A feast huh?" [/colour]she questioned as she looked him over. [colour=#996699]"What exactly is on the menu?"[/colour]

Pathfinder.png

Razorclaw beckoned his soon to be comrades further into his cell. Unlike the rest of the Pit, the cell didn't drop, wasn't dank, and all together looked awfully cozy. Banners hung from the ceiling and carpeting made Pathfinder's hooves feel soft and delicate for the first time in years. She hated soft and delicate. The air was thick with cooking salts and the sound of deep laughter echoing down the hall, and there were servants aplenty serving well-heeled griffons who ate a disgusting banquet of meat substance on the table. The servants- ponies, all of them. Some were pegasi victims of the Pit. Others were unicorns and earth ponies- why would they be here? And with the exception of the pegasi, they looked well-fed and clean. The griffons by and large looked healthy, fit, and-

[colour=#000000]"Well, I suppose I should have expected this," [/colour]Gavin muttered bitterly as he downed another mug, a unicorn attendant refilling it immediately before shuffling away.

[colour=#ff0000]"You know them?"[/colour] Razorclaw asked as he sat back down, tearing a turkey leg off and handing it over to Gavin.

[colour=#000000]"Yeah. The pair who caused us all that trouble above."[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Oh? Good. I can use that sort of skill down here. Most others that have been sent down here lately have been bores."[/colour]

The three were led to seats opposite Gavin, Razorclaw, and an Earth Pony who was the single biggest sapient creature Pathfinder had ever seen. Sweet Celestia, must have been a farm stallion- he looked like one huge muscle.

[colour=#ff0000]"You two, feel free to eat whatever you please. Got some turkey, chicken, pony, griffon, arabian, some wonderful ham and steak- just chow down,"[/colour] Razorclaw offered, snapping his talon. A bowl of the standard slop was placed on the floor next to Gilda by a glossy-eyed unicorn, and Pathfinder didn't need direction as she attacked the bowl greedily.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well-trained animal, that one."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]"Well, the poor devil is probably recovering. The last few months haven't been kind."[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"We're not kind to them as a species, hence our ample diet. Anyway you two, let me make this clear- I might have uses for you, but I need to know that you'll do anything to get out of here," [/colour]He paused, his talon trailing the face of a young mare who looked none the worse for her stay around him.

[colour=#ff0000]"Anything."[/colour]

• 1 month later...
[colour=#996699]"You!" [/colour]Gilda could feel her blood run ice cold. Of all the griffons she had expected to see, this was not one she had prepared for. There was no stopping her ire. She didn't care about blowing their chance at the moment, she just wanted to claw the face off the overgrown rat in front of her. It was him who was to blame for everything. He was why she was down here in Tartarus. He had played her like a fool and kicked her down laughing as he did it. There wasn't any manner of restraint that could hold her back at that moment. She lunged right at the large black-feathered griffon and knocked him to the ground, holding a talon to his face.

[colour=#000000]"Hello again, Gilda,"[/colour] Gavin spoke, smiling up at her as she pinned him. [colour=#000000]"I trust you're enjoying your new home so far?"[/colour]

[colour=#996699]"Cut the garbage, Stormwing! Give me one good reason not to cut into your smug, jerk face after what you pulled,"[/colour] Gilda shouted, claws digging deeper under black feathers.

"I think you'd find my colleagues wouldn't take very favorably to that, Gilda," Gavin said with a laugh. Gilda could feel all the eyes in the room settle on her. He was probably right, but she was seeing red. She just hated this squawking oaf so much.

[colour=#996699]"You tricked me and then cast me into this Tartarus to get eaten alive,"[/colour] Gilda continued to shout.

"You're a liar and a thief, Gilda. What else were I to do?" the male griffon asked, smiling. "Let you go free? This place, it is what you deserve."

[colour=#996699]"In that case, I'll show you what you deserve!" [/colour]Gilda exclaimed, raising her claw. Ava caught it.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Gilda, chill out. Even if this guy's scum and the reason you're down here, hurting him isn't going to get you anything you want,"[/colour] she said. [colour=#ff8c00]"All we can do right now is accept what we're offered and deal with it."[/colour]

Gilda looked at the other griffoness and clicked her tongue. Piniongale was right. All this would get was her and Pathfinder killed. She wanted freedom more than she wanted revenge anyway. She kicked off of Gavin, her back right paw slamming into his stomach, and flew back. [colour=#996699]"Sorry about that,"[/colour] she said, looking at Razorclaw. [colour=#996699]"I just so happen to have something of a history with this creep."[/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]"But that's immaterial to our current position,"[/colour] Ava said as she grabbed some of the meat on the table, carefully avoiding anything that might have ever had some intelligence.

[colour=#996699]"Speak for yourself, Piniongale. This piece of trash has everything to do with my current position," [/colour]Gilda barked, clenching her talon. "But I get what you're saying," she said, finding a long sigh. [colour=#996699]"You want to know if I'll do anything to get out of here, Razorclaw? I say hit me with the best you have. Thanks to some griffon, I have nothing here to lose"[/colour]

Pathfinder.png

Such a fireball of emotional intensity, Razorclaw was more than pleased to see that he could certainly pick them out of the crowd. Who knew that of all the griffons in the world he'd pick the one with such a painful grudge against Gavin Stormwing? Not that she'd be the first, mind you. He had a thousand enemies before a friend and only through his own shrewdness did he remain in the relatively lowly position he was. But you couldn't expect much better from the guards above, a bunch of milk drinkers, the lot of them. Down here though, they were all brothers and sisters to one single cause: Getting Razorclaw up and out of here as fast as possible, the Director and his lackeys notwithstanding.

[colour=#006400]"Well, let me step in and just make this pretty clear. You two and your pet are needed for a reason, and that reason is pretty simple. This whole prison is a sham from top to bottom, it's all a lie. Well, not that sort of lie. Most of what you know is true, but something has been conveniently left out. You see, a few years ago, the Director found that what we're stuck in is part of the ruins of an ancient city and-" [/colour]Razorclaw began, reveling in having information to share that nocreature else aside from Gavin knew but finding himself cut off.

[colour=#006400]"Oooh! Ancient city! Tell us more!" [/colour]Pathfinder leapt at Razorclaw, ending beak to snout with a wide and half-conscious grin on her face which was covered in the slop. The griffon only stared coldly as a unicorn attendant slowly levitated Pathfinder back.

[colour=#ff0000]"...Anyway, we need to continue excavation of the route, but we think we can find an entrance...but from what we can see, ancient Griffons weren't as physically impressive as we are today and we think the route is small. Do the job I'm about to offer, and maybe you'll get out of here with your wings intact. Well, no maybes about it," [/colour]He smiled, reaching for a piece of paper.

[colour=#006400]"Hot diggity do! That sounds like it'll be fun! Where, when, how, who?"[/colour] Pathfinder started prancing in place, a three-legged sort of dance that looked as awkward as it sounded as her joints made audible clacking sounds. She didn't even care to hear what exactly the job was!

Gilda listened to what this Razorclaw was blathering. Like Pathfinder, she had to say it was an exciting little tidbit of news to learn. Not so much because adventure, but because it meant a legitimate opening. There was more going on in this pit than just what it was. Because of that, there just might be an actual way out. Maybe she'd have to abide by Stormwing's presence, but if it could mean her freedom she'd be willing to endure anything. She could indulge whatever madness she had to put up with.

[colour=#996699]"Yeah, you don't have to ask if I'm in,"[/colour] Gilda said with a low chuckle. [colour=#996699]"A hungry griffon will snap at whatever meager scraps are dangled before her,"[/colour] she said looking Razorclaw over. [colour=#996699]"And what this griffon is hungry for is freedom. I'll do whatever you'll have me do if it means a chance out of here."[/colour] Her eyes went toward Gavin. [colour=#996699]"Unless, of course, someone has a problem with that."[/colour]

Gavin laughed bitterly and then cast his glance at Pathfinder. [colour=#000000]"I cast you down here because it was what you deserved, but also to hide the shame my failures to snare this miserable dog brought onto my name. Quite truthfully, if it were entirely my call to make, I'd be pleased to leave the both of you down here to meet your end,"[/colour] he said, smirking.

[colour=#000000]"But at the same time, I happen to owe a debt to the family Razorclaw, one which I seem only to dig deeper as time passes. As such, what is important is sparing Master Razorclaw here from the fate that was decided for him... and I can't deny this lowly creature has proven to have particular set of skill which might be of use,"[/colour] the black-feathered griffon spoke with a scowl. [colour=#000000]"I would argue that you, Gilda, are of considerably less value to us, your only remarkable quality being that especially loud and especially deceitful beak of yours... though I suppose this 'hunger' of yours might make you a suitable pawn on some level."[/colour]

Gilda growled and snapped at the other griffon. It took everything she could muster to resist jumping at him again. In the end she was able to resist the urge, turning her gaze toward Razorclaw. [colour=#996699]"Just tell me what you need me to do."[/colour]

Pathfinder.png

[colour=#006400]"Welsh of coursh I have a specialised skillset!"[/colour] Pathfinder said through the mush, gulping down some more and sitting back, ignoring the pain as she patted her pot-belly, [colour=#006400]"I'm the beeeeeeest adventurer this side of the mountain! Mountains! Well, on the other side as well. At least that's what the orphanage mother always told me, usually before she then begged me to find a job but still! I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be!"[/colour] She said with a trace of cockiness, leaning back and trying to put her hooves on the table, Trying and failing, could hardly feel them. No matter, the mental image was set. Razorclaw smiled and laughed, considering the two charges before him. He nudged Gavin.

[colour=#ff0000]"When you said they were a spirited bunch, I didn't think you meant insane,"[/colour] He laughed as Pathfinder forgot to try and hear and ate static instead. Razorclaw then turned his attention to Gilda.

[colour=#ff0000]"I'll keep in mind that you'll do anything my dear to taste freedom, because soon enough I'll need such desire. You will work for me now. Report to me where you found me today, and I'll take you to the location. We'll find an entrance and send you two in. Once you're in, there will be one exit and we'll- plus my dear family and some guards, will be waiting for you. Do the job, earn your freedom. Fail, and, well, you're already in the Pit. Now eat and be merry and then be off, the three of you."[/colour]

Pathfinder finished her part of the meal, sighing and laying back. Yeah, yeah, she knew it wasn't good for her wings (or figure) but a pony has to eat and there were few things available aside from some decidedly less than savory moss. She allowed her brain to work around the plan, which had all the hallmarks of a one-way trip.

[colour=#006400]"So, this city. What's so special about..."[/colour] She started before she zoned out once more, snapping to it a moment later, [colour=#006400]"I have this really good recipe for moss. See, you start with Everfree algae, and bam, then Bravado TOTALLY KISSED DARING DO! Lucky stallion, I then grind the algae up into the court case where I had to pay almost a thousand bits. Skipped out on Derring visits Daring and they get to talking about their younger brother Darrin Do fitting in the pot where the algae cooks needs to be pre-heated, or else you may get fined by the royal..." [/colour]She trailed off, shook her head, and returned.

[colour=#006400]"Where are we again?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"I'll keep in mind that you'll do anything my dear to taste freedom, because soon enough I'll need such desire. You will work for me now. Report to me where you found me today, and I'll take you to the location. We'll find an entrance and send you two in. Once you're in, there will be one exit and we'll- plus my dear family and some guards, will be waiting for you. Do the job, earn your freedom. Fail, and, well, you're already in the Pit. Now eat and be merry and then be off, the three of you."[/colour]

Gidla sighed and shrugged.[colour=#996699] "You're the boss then, I suppose,"[/colour] she said, trying her best not to make any sort of eye contact with Gavin. If it meant a chance at freedom, she'd deal with just about anything.

Her eyes went to Pathfinder as she had considered what Gavin had said. There really was no telling just what Gilda would have done down here without Pathfinder. She really was depending on her for getting through this... of course almost surely none of this would have happened in the first place without the pony. Either way, it was what it was.

[colour=#006400]"So, this city. What's so special about... [/colour][colour=#006400]I have this really good recipe for moss. See, you start with Everfree algae, and bam, then Bravado TOTALLY KISSED DARING DO! Lucky stallion, I then grind the algae up into the court case where I had to pay almost a thousand bits. Skipped out on Derring visits Daring and they get to talking about their younger brother Darrin Do fitting in the pot where the algae cooks needs to be pre-heated, or else you may get fined by the royal...[/colour] [colour=#006400]Where are we again?"[/colour]

And what it was was that the pony she was counting on was completely insane. How perfect.

Gavin laughed. "How unfortunate. it seems like being down here has left this pitiable creature unhinged and demented," he said, smirking the smuggest smirk possible.

[colour=#996699]"Not very much more demented than usual,"[/colour] Gilda snorted, still doing her best not to look at the large male griffon. "[colour=#996699]Hate to burst that pride of yours, but this pony was always completely out of her head."[/colour]

Gilda turned to Pathfinder and sighed. [colour=#996699]"Hey, pony, don't black out and don't combine recipes with your fanfiction. it all makes less sense than usual that way," [/colour]she muttered.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Who is Daring Do?"[/colour] Ava meanwhile asked, just staring oddly at the pony.

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder's mind underwent a full-stop. The train tracks weren't there. The lights weren't on. The way was not clear. The salad was not fresh, the carrots were mashed, the potatoes in a can, the peaches were hard and the apples were rotted on the ground. The blimp was not moving and the airship fell into the water. Celestia's sun stayed down and Luna's moon was quite tired of being in the sky. A foal wasn't born and life had npt begun, and thank Celestia and her not-up sun because that foal couldn't live through the poor world that Ava did. Pathfinder's mind shut down as she stared at Ava for a solid minute, goop falling out of her mouth sloppily on the floor below with stunning and disquieting regularity. The brain tried and failed several times to start back up but of all the things in the world that could have been the most horrifying thing.

A life without knowing what Daring Do was? That was a torture beyond words. Beyond imagining! How could any creature live without the tales of wonderful adventure and courage having in some way big or small coloured their lives. Poor griffons, what did they have? Probably some cheap knockoffs, like those Unyasan 'folk tales'. Nah, Daring Do was the origantor, all other claims were incorrect despite what history books said. She had grown up without all the important moral lessons and life-long obsession that everypony who understand the great Do had. So sad. So sad! What could Pathfinder do to help the poor dear? Her brain slowly rebooted and after another minute, she smiled and slowly limped towards Ava, ending up with her hoof gently caressing her cheek with her eyes boring deep holes in the griffon's forehead, unblinking and deeply mad.

[colour=#006400]"I have...such...sights...to show you..."[/colour] Pathfinder muttered with the force of of a scream as Ava backed away.

[colour=#ff6600]"Ooookkkaaayyyy...I'm leaving crazy town here. Am I here for any reason at all?" [/colour]Ava asked Razorclaw, who finished a comically large piece of meat and tossed a bone half-heartedly towards the trash.

[colour=#ff0000]"Not really. I just wanted to look at a pretty face. Now that the pony here has creeped us out, I think it's best you all went to your cells. You have such a long day tomorrow!"[/colour]

• 4 weeks later...
Gilda sighed as she watched the pony go into what was one of the weirdest perhaps of her many weird modes. She gave a small nostalgic chuckle as she recalled the similar moment when she had first told Pathfinder she had no clue who Daring Do was. Gah! How long ago was that even? It was just a matter of a few months, but it felt like ages now. She really did feel somehow like she had known this insane, ridiculous pony since forever ago. Maybe being around her was just that exhausting. Either way, that first night, the museum, being on the run, then learning about Daring Do from this obsessed weirdo--even taking the sewer stench into account--Gilda couldn't help but look back on it all fondly. It had ultimately been a massive pain, but there was a big part of Gilda that was very happy she had met someone like Pathfinder. If nothing else, she was presently involved in something, something that forced her to keep her mind sharp and her eyes open; without Pathfinder, she'd probably still just be drifting around aimlessly, loitering and dwelling on the past.

"Heh. You might like Daring Do. For a pony, she's not that bad," Gilda quietly said to Ava, giving a small laugh. The other griffon just shot her a quizzical look, causing Gilda to smile and then glance at Pathfinder.

"Well, guess we better head back, pony," she said glancing back one more time at Gavin as she stepped out into the corridor. "It may call for associating with some lowlife scum, but I think this arrangement might just be out ticket out of here."

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder nodded, her mind still foggy but clinging to the one fact they both agreed on. Getting out of here would be good, good for THIS BUSINESS and for their own personal well being. She needed to get out because there was another book in the New Adventures of Daring Do Series. She had all sorts of plans for that and she hadn't expected this to be such a drag. If the Helm interfered with her plans for the release date, then Gilda would have to answer for her devilishly crimes to not only Pathfinder but the entirety of the Daring Do Fanclub in Cloudsdale who were by this stage probably weeping with fear wondering what had happened to their beloved and most joyous leader! Plus, she had already bought four new copies of the book. One for her to read, one for her records, one for the author to autograph after their latest court date, and one for Snowfall because Pathfinder wasn't sure they had books in Stalliongrad, or if they did they probably burnt them for fire in the winter. The fate of literacy itself was banking on Pathfinder getting out of the Pit!

Pathfinder smiled, patting Gilda on her beak even if the effort elicited a groan from the wounded Pegasus.

"I'm sure it'll work out, especially with me by your side. We've got them so worked up that by this time next week I'm sure we'll be having toasties at saddleback beach working on our tans. Well, maybe you will, you look like you could use a good tan once in a while but I'll probably be testing out this story I heard that the saddleback beach sand is actually sapient and during the full moon comes alive and gobbles bad little ponies. Maybe that was just Sister Snow's little old mare's tale to keep us from sneaking out at night but bahh! I better test it anyway. Has to be harder than getting those dumb-dumbs back there to buy into the," she stood up on two legs, scrambling her head and eyes around, "cuckoo! Cuckoo! Gavin bought it hook, line, and sinker! He's the dumbest of them all, which is bad because hes pretty strong and he smelled like a fresh breeze when he was trying to choke me out. Unrelated note, if the prisoners here try to kidnap me in the night, squawk or something you mercenary," Pathfinder winked and nudged Gilda, "I can't pay you in bits, just Daring Do books! Speaking of, after I feel better- IE; not tonight- wanna be my DARING DO OFFICIAL READING BUDDY?" Pathfinder shouted, getting a rock tossed her way by a prisoner who had been sleeping on the ground. She didn't see it and it slammed into her noggin. Little effect.

"Ha, jokes on you, I have bruises on top of bruises on top of scar tissue there! You can't touch me, I'm like sixteen minotaurs in a cage!" She took a deep breath, wobbling some more with Gilda, "Well, okay, sixteen minotaur foals in a NURSERY that's in a cage, but..." Her expression glazed over, "yeah, that one failed."

• 1 month later...

"I'm sure it'll work out, especially with me by your side. We've got them so worked up that by this time next week I'm sure we'll be having toasties at saddleback beach working on our tans. Well, maybe you will, you look like you could use a good tan once in a while but I'll probably be testing out this story I heard that the saddleback beach sand is actually sapient and during the full moon comes alive and gobbles bad little ponies. Maybe that was just Sister Snow's little old mare's tale to keep us from sneaking out at night but bahh! I better test it anyway. Has to be harder than getting those dumb-dumbs back there to buy into the,"

Gilda had to wonder where this crazy equine got her bizarre energy. Even after all that happened, all that they had been through, the work of the day and the meeting just now, this strange little pony was yammering on like a fool about irrelevant nonsense. Gilda wasn't even sure what to make of it really. Sentient sand? Sure, some of Equestria's beaches were said to be rife with ruins and bizarre mysteries, but that was just weird and impossible, wasn't it? Of course it was! Gilda shook her head and sighed for even fooling herself into considering it for a second.

"cuckoo! Cuckoo! Gavin bought it hook, line, and sinker! He's the dumbest of them all, which is bad because hes pretty strong and he smelled like a fresh breeze when he was trying to choke me out. Unrelated note, if the prisoners here try to kidnap me in the night, squawk or something you mercenary,"

Then, with a wink and a nudge, the ponies ramblings turned slightly more relevant. it was this kind of stuff that had Gilda content to bank on the prospect that her friend here wasn't just some whacked out loon but actually had some kind of plan and underlying genius. Gilda could only wish she knew what exactly that all was. Regardless she gave a nod of understanding in response to the little nudge. She could at least pretend like she knew the full of what this pony was thinking, even if it so often confounded her.

"I can't pay you in bits, just Daring Do books! Speaking of, after I feel better- IE; not tonight- wanna be my DARING DO OFFICIAL READING BUDDY?"

And again there was a wild change of tone. Gilda sighed. Regardless of the plan, this was probably going to take a while. She enjoyed the Daring Do books she had read and was kinda eager to check out more, as weird as it seemed to her still. Seemed like a no brainer to read some more with Pathfinder now. It would be a good way to pass the time in this infernal place, she figured.

"Yeah, sure... why n--" Gilda started through a forced sigh. She was interrupted when a rock was suddenly thrown at the pony's head by a prisoner who had collapsed out in the corridor.

"Ha, jokes on you, I have bruises on top of bruises on top of scar tissue there! You can't touch me, I'm like sixteen minotaurs in a cage! Well, okay, sixteen minotaur foals in a NURSERY that's in a cage, but... yeah, that one failed."

Gilda closed her eyes and sighed as she watched the pony's reaction. No matter what speed her mind was racing at, Pathfinder was clearly in bad shape. She would need lots of good rest.

"C'mon pony, let's move. Sooner we get back to our cell and crash, the better," the griffoness said, pushing the other along as she continued to their cell.

Pathfinder.png

Of course Gillytastical was right. They needed to make their way to their cell as fast as their tied up wings would allow so they could do what needed to be done. Daring Do works of art needed to be revealed to the silly griffon so she could join Pathfinder in a wondrous world of adventure. Plus they needed to craft a plan to escape but that would be the easy part. If she didn't reveal the wonders and glories of Daring Do slowly, then poor Gilda's mind would be blown across the cosmos by the sheer thrill of adventure! She needed her mind mostly intact for their sure to be brilliant and well publicized escape attempt success. They would even write books about them and then they'd both have to have interviews shooting down rumors of prison romance, but the denials would only fuel the flames of the press! It'd be so exciting!

"Sounds gooooood to me, Gilly," Pathfinder said as they continued walking to their cell. Along with them was the majority of the prisoners who were also finishing a hard day's work. Too bad for them they didn't have Daring Do to keep them comfortable and full of adventure this cold, cold night. She made her through the block where they had been assigned, grabbing two bowls of slop, and almost prancing(almost because her back leg never made contact with the ground) to their cell. She opened up their bedsheet door...

...And there was a big 'ol pile of stuff in the room, the contents of Pathfinder's saddle bag sans anything useful. Books, journals, various odds and ends, fanfictions, tickets to exhibits, some plushies of various quality and morality, and lots and lots of loose papers getting soiled on the floor. All good though- her books were here!

"Yay! They didn't ruin the books...mostly. We can read these books FOREVER!"

• 1 month later...
Gilda had to admit she was pleased to see Pathfinder's books and things returned to her. Having a guess as to how the bizarre pony worked, it was probably safe to say she needed Daring Do as a presence to stay sharp of mind. It would help keep her active and help keep their hopes alive. Almost as importantly, it would keep them from being completely bored by the despairing conditions down here.

"Heh. Pretty cool of them to give this stuff back," Gilda said with a chuckle and a shrug. "I'd have expected our buddy Gavien to just toss it all in the garbage." She shook her head and gave a small sigh. "Of course, to him it's probably effectively the same thing."

Gilda picked up one of the books then and wiped some grime off of it and gave a laugh. "This should help keep us from going too mad down here though... at least for a little while."

She gave yet another sigh then and put the book back on the pile. "'Course, we can't go crazy with the stuff. It's important we actually get plenty of sleep as well. We're gonna need all the energy we can get if we hope to survive all that blasted slave labor."

Archived